Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Films That Affected You

Read 13321 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: Films That Affected You
      Reply #23: Jul 13, 2010 01:58:49 pm
      "Films that have really touched you emotionally." - 500 Days of Summer. I related to that movie so much. (oh and I F***ing love Zooey Deschanel ;))

"Films that you've cried to due to your feelings for the character." - not so much feelings for the character, but The Road made me cry, one of the saddest films I've ever watched. I'm a sucker though too, I'm watching the House boxsets lately and loads of the stories are enough to make you want to cry.

"Films that you've been either extremely happy or angry at, I.e. injustice/justice." - The Lovely Bones. The ending ruined it for me and I was fuming :laugh:

Ross the Butterfly Effect is awesome ;D

I absolutely loved Yes Man with Jim Carrey, made me realise I shouldn't be saying no to everything coz I felt like the character Jim portreys. :laugh:

One I don't like admitting to but, anyone ever seen Music and Lyrics with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore? Liked that one, just loved the relationship between the two characters, was kinda like 50 First Dates :)
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #24: Jul 13, 2010 02:42:34 pm
      Great thread, Ross. I'll give this one a good think, but for now I have to agree with American History X. Absolutely one of my favorite movies and it definitely meets many of the criteria you were asking for...
      Films that have really touched you emotionally.

Films that have shocked you.

Films that have sent a chill through your spine.

Films that you've cried to due to your feelings for the character.

Films that you've been either extremely happy or angry at, I.e. injustice/justice.

Films that you've sat in silence for a long period after viewing.

So many scenes I'd like to talk about, but for the sake of those who haven't seen it, I'll digress. This was the first movie that came to mind, though, and from the replies I can see I'm not alone in my reaction.

Also "Saving Private Ryan" and the beach landing as Ayrton mentioned. Absolutely terrifying due to the realism.

When I was a kid the movie "Poltergeist" gave me nightmares for weeks. :D especially disturbing for me was the scene where the tree breaks through the window and grabs the kid. And that clown!! I still can't look at toy clowns without suspecting them of being up to something.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #25: Jul 13, 2010 03:16:07 pm
      The movies that tend to affect me most are usually realistic drama type movies. Movies like Hotel Rwanda, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Pianist, The Lives of Others, and Requiem for a Dream.

Though I do also love The Machinist , American History X, Finding Neverland and The Green Mile.

I've heard of The Pianist and it sounds interesting. That's the one with Ralph Fiennes and Kate Winslet right? I think she won an Oscar for her performance in that if I'm not mistaken. Is it a love story, or?

"Films that have really touched you emotionally." - 500 Days of Summer. I related to that movie so much. (oh and I F***ing love Zooey Deschanel ;)

"Films that you've cried to due to your feelings for the character." - not so much feelings for the character, but The Road made me cry, one of the saddest films I've ever watched. I'm a sucker though too, I'm watching the House boxsets lately and loads of the stories are enough to make you want to cry.

"Films that you've been either extremely happy or angry at, I.e. injustice/justice." - The Lovely Bones. The ending ruined it for me and I was fuming :laugh:

Ross the Butterfly Effect is awesome ;D

I absolutely loved Yes Man with Jim Carrey, made me realise I shouldn't be saying no to everything coz I felt like the character Jim portreys. :laugh:

One I don't like admitting to but, anyone ever seen Music and Lyrics with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore? Liked that one, just loved the relationship between the two characters, was kinda like 50 First Dates :)

This post really made me grin. Mate, that really does remind me of, well, me!

500 Days of Summer was suggested to me by someone and funnily enough it in some ways reminded me of my relationship with them. Really made me think that film did. One minute you think every thing's perfect and the next, it's all gone. The person who you believe to be 'the one' may not actually be.

Yes Man. It isn't even that spectacular a movie but there's just a really good message behind it and it's a good watch. I've probably watched it about 5 times now. Seems to be on Sky Movies a lot! Plus I love Jim Carrey and Zooey Deschanel. Like you, Jim's character reminded me of me at some parts. A bit apathetic and unwilling to do things with himself and it really makes you wonder what could happen if you changed your lifestyle.

Music & Lyrics - don't worry mate, I enjoyed that film too! I actually really like romance films, whether they have comedy elements or whether they are serious. Okay, I'll admit it, I cried at the end of this film. I know the film itself is a bit 'cheesy' but I thought the connection between the two characters was great.

Great thread, Ross. I'll give this one a good think, but for now I have to agree with American History X. Absolutely one of my favorite movies and it definitely meets many of the criteria you were asking for...

So many scenes I'd like to talk about, but for the sake of those who haven't seen it, I'll digress. This was the first movie that came to mind, though, and from the replies I can see I'm not alone in my reaction.

Also "Saving Private Ryan" and the beach landing as Ayrton mentioned. Absolutely terrifying due to the realism.

When I was a kid the movie "Poltergeist" gave me nightmares for weeks. :D especially disturbing for me was the scene where the tree breaks through the window and grabs the kid. And that clown!! I still can't look at toy clowns without suspecting them of being up to something.

I said earlier in the thread it might be a good idea just to put the word 'spoiler' in bold perhaps before saying something that looks at the film a little more specifically?

You mentioning the Poltergeist film has reminded me of Edward Scissor Hands. I remember back in the days of VHS when movie trailers before the actual film were quite popular, the trailer to this film was on quite a few of my videos as a kid. To say it scared me is an understatement. It frightened the F***ing sh*t out of me. I look back and laugh now but! I still haven't seen that film actually. I guess that is another one that could be mentioned, though - isn't it basically about the acceptance of those different to you in your surroundings?

KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #26: Jul 13, 2010 03:22:03 pm
      The first film that deeply affected me was Betty Blue, emotional, funny at times, poignant and deeply disturbing on many levels.

Seen a few others over the years, but nothing like this - I now have it on DVD, but can only watch it occasionally, and after seeing it for the first time a few months ago, my GF won't watch it again.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #27: Jul 13, 2010 03:25:18 pm
      I've heard of The Pianist and it sounds interesting. That's the one with Ralph Fiennes and Kate Winslet right? I think she won an Oscar for her performance in that if I'm not mistaken. Is it a love story, or?
      No, you mean The Reader I think? I meant The Pianist.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #28: Jul 13, 2010 03:26:55 pm
      Ah yes, apologies, I got mixed up between the two!
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #29: Jul 13, 2010 03:36:20 pm
      A film that made me feel really emotional and think about how lucky I have it is 'Precious.' True story and the fact the girl who played the lead role was not even an actress but a normal girl of the street who had a similar past to the story and played it with raw emotion. I can admit I cried.

I agree with a few of the films above.

Another one that makes you think after it and is a clever storyline is 'Dead Mans Shoes' The ending surprised me big time and was very emotional.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #30: Jul 13, 2010 04:22:58 pm
      Boss thread this. I'll have to have a proper good think about it but I will throw one film out there that's affected me.

It will be hard for anyone who hasn't had a dog, or even a pet, that they were very close to but the film Marley & Me had me in bits, and I mean inconsolable! My dog is still going strong at 12 years old but he's getting old now and it's hard to see when we've had him since he was tiny.

The story is okay but it's just the connection with the dog (not ruining the story) that gets you. Thought I'd be fine but I wasn't.

I'll come back with some more (manly, hopefully) examples. ;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31: Jul 13, 2010 04:28:29 pm
      Full Metal Jacket is a film I watched which really made me feel quite disturbed underneath, mostly the training complex part of the film.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #32: Jul 13, 2010 04:36:59 pm
      The first film that deeply affected me was Betty Blue, emotional, funny at times, poignant and deeply disturbing on many levels.

Seen a few others over the years, but nothing like this - I now have it on DVD, but can only watch it occasionally, and after seeing it for the first time a few months ago, my GF won't watch it again.

Just looked that up. It does sound like it'd be a difficult watch. Interesting though.

Another one that makes you think after it and is a clever storyline is 'Dead Mans Shoes' The ending surprised me big time and was very emotional.

That's the Shane Meadows film right? Isn't it about somebody getting their revenge on people that treated his disabled brother badly?
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #33: Jul 13, 2010 04:45:57 pm

That's the Shane Meadows film right? Isn't it about somebody getting their revenge on people that treated his disabled brother badly?

Yeah mate, you seen it? So good and the fact it's a British film made on a shoe string budget.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #34: Jul 13, 2010 04:47:27 pm
      Would lash The Great Escape in, true story about POW's during WWII. It's one of those films people must see.

Psycho. When I was a kid all I heard about the film was how it was the scariest film ever, when I finally bucked up the courage to watch it, I was too busy laughing at what was supposed to be scary. So it touched me in the sense that it broke myth from reality. And that all films are, at the end of the day, fictional.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #35: Jul 13, 2010 04:52:52 pm
      Psycho. When I was a kid all I heard about the film was how it was the scariest film ever, when I finally bucked up the courage to watch it, I was too busy laughing at what was supposed to be scary. So it touched me in the sense that it broke myth from reality. And that all films are, at the end of the day, fictional.

I studied Psycho last year with my class in Media Studies as we were preparing for an exam on the horror genre.

Me and my class had the same reaction as you did. We were wetting ourself. Especially at the end when, think his name was Norman Bates, ran out in the woman's clothing! The only part that I found slightly gruesome was the shower scene - simply due to the noises made and your imagination.

What probably interested me most about Psycho though was learning about people's reactions at the time. They were seemingly scared shitless. Apparently some movie theatres waited until everyone was sat down before locking the doors!! It's crazy when you think about the types of films being released nowadays compared.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #36: Jul 13, 2010 04:56:43 pm
      Saving Private Ryan choked me up a little.  When the old man is standing in the American cemetery and he asked his wife If he led a good life.
      That was a great scene...

The only movie that ever disturbed me was Seven w/ Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman.   When that box was delivered to them and we find out whats it is......WOW!  Freaked me out for a good 2 weeks. Disturbed.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #37: Jul 13, 2010 04:59:16 pm
      Saving Private Ryan choked me up a little.  When the old man is standing in the American cemetery and he asked his wife If he led a good life.
      That was a great scene...

The only movie that ever disturbed me was Seven w/ Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman.   When that box was delivered to them and we find out whats it is......WOW!  Freaked me out for a good 2 weeks. Disturbed.

A lot of you saying Saving Private Ryan and I'd have to agree. However, it still pains me to this day that the film was spoilt by that horrible ending. (When he salutes standing in the graveyard). I'm not sure I've ever cringed so badly.

Se7en. Now there's another film that I need to watch!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #38: Jul 13, 2010 05:02:55 pm
      Se7en is awesome, The Game and Fight Club too. Very plot driven movies, David Fincher made some good ones there.
      The Usual Suspects and Memento are other examples of great plot driven movies.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2010 05:09:12 pm by Dexter »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #39: Jul 13, 2010 05:05:36 pm
      A lot of you saying Saving Private Ryan and I'd have to agree. However, it still pains me to this day that the film was spoilt by that horrible ending. (When he salutes standing in the graveyard). I'm not sure I've ever cringed so badly.

A lot of people criticise Spielberg's films for being too sentimental. Not me. I like a bit of sentimentality especially when it's something as horrific as the battles of war. If you'r looking for real cringeworthy material check out the President's speech on Independence Day - I mean what else could it have been!   :laugh:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #40: Jul 13, 2010 05:08:00 pm
      I studied Psycho last year with my class in Media Studies as we were preparing for an exam on the horror genre.

Me and my class had the same reaction as you did. We were wetting ourself. Especially at the end when, think his name was Norman Bates, ran out in the woman's clothing! The only part that I found slightly gruesome was the shower scene - simply due to the noises made and your imagination.

What probably interested me most about Psycho though was learning about people's reactions at the time. They were seemingly scared shitless. Apparently some movie theatres waited until everyone was sat down before locking the doors!! It's crazy when you think about the types of films being released nowadays compared.

Just shows how the world has moved on doesn't it mate.

I would also say To Kill A Mockingbird, but the book is a million times better than the film.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #41: Jul 13, 2010 05:12:24 pm

If you havent seen Seven..Its a must.  However, be prepared to be freaked the F**k out...It is beyond disturbing in parts.  Its the type of movie where you need to pause it because you get massive anxiety.  Its really that good.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #42: Jul 13, 2010 05:36:16 pm

Oddly enough, my wife was talking to me about this the other day. She's less likely to cry over a movie than I am, but she said it had her bawling!

I'll go along with that one.

One particular scene in The Departed really shocked me. I won't say it, but if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about.

Not a film so slightly off topic... the finale of the tv series "Six Feet Under" had me pretty choked up.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #43: Jul 13, 2010 07:17:43 pm
      Just looked that up. It does sound like it'd be a difficult watch. Interesting though.

Like a lot of French films, it's really well filmed and acted, and I think that this is the key to getting so caught up in the story and tragedy of the film.

I'd recommend it thoroughly - but not if you're feeling in any way fragile...

On the subject of French films, Amelie is a cracker, with the gorgeous Audrey Tautou.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #44: Jul 13, 2010 07:24:26 pm
      On the subject of French films, Amelie is a cracker, with the gorgeous Audrey Tautou.
      Lovely movie, like an adult fairytale, Tatou is absolutely enchanting. Jeunet made more good films, Delicatessen,  A Very Long Engagement(also with Tatou) and The City of Lost Children.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2010 07:39:34 pm by Dexter »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #45: Jul 13, 2010 07:24:53 pm
      Amelie is fantastic. Love it. That's pretty much the first time I realised that a film could be a 'piece of art', if you like.

Quick Reply