Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Films That Affected You

Read 13320 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Films That Affected You
      Reply #92: Jul 18, 2010 03:39:09 pm
      The Lion King.

F**k me when Simba's dad dies, I even got a lump in my throat.
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #93: Aug 29, 2010 07:50:14 pm
      Be kind rewind. At the end when jack black & mos def heard laughs and applauses from outside : they just open the door of the videoclub and see the street full of people applausing to them. Really moving.
      Also The Green Mile, I really cried when I saw this movie for the first time.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #94: Aug 29, 2010 08:10:06 pm
      Perhaps it was the way it was done/shot ayrton. Quite a few people I know have said the same thing.

However, I can definitely see what you're saying.

Think you'll find those people who say that mostly don't have an understanding of war and the true horrors of it. I've watched and studied war a lot since i was kid, out of pure personal interest in the subject - and i teared up at that bit. I thought about what if it was me, going to the grave of a man who led a team across enemy territory just to save me - and ultimately gave up his life for me. If you put yourself in those shoes, which you can never truly do of course, but just try - you can see how it is not cheesy at all, IMO.

Anyways, boss thread this Ross, nice one for popping it up!

War movies do it a lot for me, always just make me intensely in gratitude of those men and women who go and fight for us. The scenes in We Were Soldiers of the wives getting the telegraphs F***ing does it all the time.

Other than that, i have to have a think. Romantic movies often get me as well, High Fidelity i relate to a lot, just the thinking about ex's and such and how it drives guys insane. A man's romance film that is!

Really wanna see 500 Days of Summer too. Read the screenplay, and just reading it had an impact on me!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #95: Aug 29, 2010 09:46:58 pm
      Think you'll find those people who say that mostly don't have an understanding of war and the true horrors of it. I've watched and studied war a lot since I was kid, out of pure personal interest in the subject - and I teared up at that bit. I thought about what if it was me, going to the grave of a man who led a team across enemy territory just to save me - and ultimately gave up his life for me. If you put yourself in those shoes, which you can never truly do of course, but just try - you can see how it is not cheesy at all, IMO.

Anyways, boss thread this Ross, nice one for popping it up!

War movies do it a lot for me, always just make me intensely in gratitude of those men and women who go and fight for us. The scenes in We Were Soldiers of the wives getting the telegraphs f**king does it all the time.

Other than that, I have to have a think. Romantic movies often get me as well, High Fidelity I relate to a lot, just the thinking about ex's and such and how it drives guys insane. A man's romance film that is!

Really wanna see 500 Days of Summer too. Read the screenplay, and just reading it had an impact on me!

Don't know why but that movie just didn't do it for me. I always got a feeling that Mel Gibson was trying too hard to be the hero of the movie. I found it a bit too 'forced' the whole film but most people I know think it's a really really good film.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #96: Aug 29, 2010 10:00:58 pm
      Don't know why but that movie just didn't do it for me. I always got a feeling that Mel Gibson was trying too hard to be the hero of the movie. I found it a bit too 'forced' the whole film but most people I know think it's a really really good film.

I can relate to that as well to be honest, at times it was a bit too much. Like I said it was the side characters that did it the now for me. Greg Kinnear as the chopper pilot, Barry Pepper as the journalist etc.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #97: Aug 30, 2010 02:44:45 am
      I think Mel Gibson is sh*te. I used to like him as a kid, but I have a hard time taking him seriously as an actor these days.

I agree on the war movies though. A different type of war movie but absolutely amazing is The Pianist, certainly belongs in this thread.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #98: Aug 31, 2010 03:41:04 am
      I can relate to that as well to be honest, at times it was a bit too much. Like I said it was the side characters that did it the now for me. Greg Kinnear as the chopper pilot, Barry Pepper as the journalist etc.

Agreed. He may have been in Saving Private Ryan as well, but Barry Pepper is always an excellent actor to have.

But this for me just typifies what I don't like about the movie. I just found it cringeworthy

We Were Soldiers Speech

I also love The Pianist as well. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like that film.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #99: Aug 31, 2010 08:45:30 am
      Agreed. He may have been in Saving Private Ryan as well, but Barry Pepper is always an excellent actor to have.

But this for me just typifies what I don't like about the movie. I just found it cringeworthy

We Were Soldiers Speech

I also love The Pianist as well. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like that film.

Aye, my favorite character in SPR - 'If you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, pack your bags fellas, war's over' :D

I actually didn't mind that speech to be honest :D Very Hollywood though, but overall i didn't find it was too cheesy.

I saw We Were Soldiers in the cinemas with my dad, and there was only 4 others in there with us - two being an older couple, and later on we saw he was a Vietnam vet. And he was crying at the end, sobbing to his wife. Honestly getting tears in my eyes thinking about it again, but that touched me. And thats why i can't dis this movie too much, as besides the fact i liked it, i see that it touched him too. As much as it had some cheese at times, it hit home. It made a grown man sob in a cinema, something you rarely see. Something ill never forget.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,210 posts | 8569 
      Reply #100: Aug 31, 2010 01:04:35 pm

Excellent alongside Tommy Lee Jones in the The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #101: Aug 31, 2010 03:42:02 pm
      Aye, my favorite character in SPR - 'If you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, pack your bags fellas, war's over' :D

I actually didn't mind that speech to be honest :D Very Hollywood though, but overall I didn't find it was too cheesy.

I saw We Were Soldiers in the cinemas with my dad, and there was only 4 others in there with us - two being an older couple, and later on we saw he was a Vietnam vet. And he was crying at the end, sobbing to his wife. Honestly getting tears in my eyes thinking about it again, but that touched me. And thats why I can't dis this movie too much, as besides the fact I liked it, I see that it touched him too. As much as it had some cheese at times, it hit home. It made a grown man sob in a cinema, something you rarely see. Something ill never forget.

That sounds very sad. No doubt then I'll have to admit that it was valuable to many people.

Quick Reply