Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Steven Defour (Standard Liege)

Read 19445 times
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Re: Steven Defour - (Standard Liege)
      Reply #23: Jul 13, 2010 01:35:09 pm
      Do you think we will spend that on a player without selling dodgy because we didn't do it last season.

I honestly don't know ,you would imagine we will spend less than we sell but only time will tell regards to that but there again at this current time then it's probably for the best that happens
      We have huge debts and is there any great point adding to them ,id be happy to keep the current side and add a few frees
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Jul 13, 2010 01:56:39 pm
      Ya dodgy but you got lads like Masch wanting to go so you are going to have to replace them.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Jul 13, 2010 02:00:24 pm
      If Lucas and Masch were both to leave I'd take Banega and Javi Martinez over Defour, but still Defour is a good player who I wouldn't mind seeing in Red.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #26: Jul 13, 2010 02:00:26 pm
      Signed him on footy manager in my 1st season....he scored 15 times!
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Jul 13, 2010 02:14:27 pm
      Ya dodgy but you got lads like Masch wanting to go so you are going to have to replace them.

If players want to go then let them,as long as they are replaced

Personally i think you only have one player that techinically couldn't be replaced
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #28: Jul 13, 2010 02:25:45 pm
      Personally I think you only have one player that techinically couldn't be replaced

I agree and keeping Ngog happy should be our number 1 priority this season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #29: Jul 13, 2010 03:56:02 pm
      If players want to go then let them,as long as they are replaced

Personally i think you only have one player that techinically couldn't be replaced

Who, Pepe?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #30: Jul 13, 2010 04:00:26 pm

Lucas. ;) Who else would bear the brunt of such criticism? The lads a trooper.

On topic, I haven't seen much of Defour. It's good to see we're linked with half decent names who we'd have to spend actual money on. Good indication of whether or not Broughton was chatting out of his arse whether they actually turn in to a signing.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #31: Jul 13, 2010 11:42:52 pm
      Steven Defour Could Follow Jovanović From Standard Liège To Liverpool
      Liverpool could be set to beat Premier League rivals Manchester United for all-around Belgian midfielder Steven Defour.  The 22 year-old can play in any role across the midfield and is considered one of Europe's most promising young talents.

Milan Jovanović has just arrived at Anfield and the talented Defour may be following his former Standard Liège teammate in a potential move to the Merseyside Giants.  Roy Hodgson could make the Liège captain his first signing since taking charge at Liverpool for a fee around £10 million.

Defour has been tracked by Manchester United, Real Madrid, Liverpool, and Arsenal from a young age and has been a key member of the Belgian national team since turning 18. His influence at Liège helped the club win Belgian Jupiler League title for the first time in 25 years in 2008 and followed that up with another league title the following season.

Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez was a keen admirer of the play-maker and almost landed him before settling upon Alberto Aquilani.

To land a player whom Sir Alex Ferguson has been following since a young age would be a huge coup for Liverpool who are trying to rebuild their squad after a shocking 7th place finish in Benítez's final season in charge.  Both Javier Mascherano and Lucas Leiva have been strongly linked with moves away from the club and Defour would be a much-needed signing as the squad transforms under Hodgson.

Defour is hailed for his technique, long-passing ability, creativity, and exceptional stamina.  The Belgian ace is seen as a player who works extremely hard and is a "box-to-box" midfielder who is always willing to track back and retain possession.  His flexibility is an asset as he can be used centrally as an attacking or defensive midfielder, or out on the wings.

He has spoken of his eagerness to move to the Premier League in past interviews.  To play at a club as respected as Liverpool and to learn under the influence of Steven Gerrard would be the perfect move for Defour.  If Hodgson can pull off the deal ahead of rivals Manchester United, Liverpool could be a getting a very talented footballer who is regarded as a future star and is young enough to still develop his abilities.

link..http://bleacherreport.com/articles/419806-steven-defour-could-follow-jovanovi-from-standard-lige-to-liverpool
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #32: Jul 13, 2010 11:56:12 pm
      He is the kind of player we're looking for especially if Masch is leaving but I've seen so many reports beginning with... "Liverpool could" "Liverpool set to offer" etc, without any real evidence or quotes. Just seems like there isn't really much foundation to alot of these rumors, probably just guessed we might be interested in him after we signed Jovanovic.

Still I've heard good things about Defour, a composed, technically gifted player is always welcome.
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Re: Steven Defour (Standard Liege)
      Reply #33: Jul 14, 2010 06:41:12 pm
      This would be a fantastic signing of a quality player, he is so versatile that he's worth twice the cash being spoken of. This would be more than a sign of the direction Roy is hoping to take us!
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #34: Jul 14, 2010 11:19:57 pm
      Yes, Defour would be an absolutely excellent signing. Still quite young so still always improving!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #35: Jul 15, 2010 12:06:38 am
      I'd snap up Defour for 10 million, no doubt about it. Quality youngster with bags of potential. He's also just the kind of player I can see Roy going for this summer.

Hope this comes through! Especially if Lucas and/or Mascherano are on their way out.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 15, 2010 12:47:04 am
      he is quality player but not sure of him being a replacement for masch..
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #37: Jul 23, 2010 03:10:58 pm
      SSN just reporting that Ferguscum sent Defour a letter (when he got injured last season) wishing him as peedy recovery, this was printed in the press, hmmm
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #38: Jul 23, 2010 03:13:29 pm
      Isn't that because they are pen pals or something like that?
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #39: Jul 23, 2010 03:18:42 pm
      :lmao:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #40: Jul 23, 2010 03:20:26 pm
      Where is all this money coming from....
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #41: Jul 23, 2010 03:20:56 pm
      Where is all this money coming from....
      The potential Mascherano sale :P
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Jul 23, 2010 03:29:57 pm
      The potential Mascherano sale :P

Which for me, hopefully doesn't happen.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #43: Jul 23, 2010 03:50:53 pm
      ....and is a "box-to-box" midfielder...
      Heard that before  :roll:
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #44: Jul 30, 2010 10:42:11 pm
      According to the Mail in the morning, Hodgson was in Belgium tonight to watch him play. I would much prefer him to some of the players mentioned like Poulsen, Muntari and Petrov.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Stephen Defour (Standard)
      Reply #45: Jul 31, 2010 01:46:44 am
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299064/Roy-Hodgson-steal-Steven-Defour-Sir-Alex-Ferguson.html

As Inter Milan prepare their first bid for unsettled Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano, manager Roy Hodgson has stepped up the search for his replacement.
      The Liverpool boss was due to watch Standard Liege midfielder Steven Defour in Belgium last night and is considering a £10million bid for a player who is also a target for Manchester United.

Old acquaintances: Defour (L) tussles with Gerrard during Champions League clash in 2008
      So keen are United on the 22-year-old Belgium international that manager Sir Alex Ferguson wrote him a letter of encouragement when he broke his foot last year and has since kept an eye on his year-long recovery.
      With Mascherano expressing his desire to leave Anfield, Hodgson and the Liverpool board will not stand in his way but they are determined not to sell him on the cheap to former boss Rafael Benitez.

Injury boost: Sir Alex sent this letter to Defour last year
      The Spaniard and his new employers are prepare for a long fight for the Argentina captain, valued at £25m by Liverpool, and are ready to offer former Portsmouth midfielder Sulley Muntari as part of their first offer this week.
      But the Ghana international, a virtual ever-present at Inter under Jose Mourinho, is unlikely to want to quit the San Siro, while Hodgson has his eyes on other options in any case.
      Aston Villa’s Stiliyan Petrov is on his radar, along with Juventus midfielder Christian Poulsen.
      Another option for Hodgson is to redeploy Brazil midfielder Lucas Leiva, who was recalled for his country this week by new coach Mano Menezes.

Head and shoulders above: Leiva has impressed during Liverpool's pre-season
      He has been captain in Steven Gerrard’s absence for all three games of Hodgson’s tenure, including Thursday’s Europa League triumph in Macedonia.
      While Hodgson looks at alternatives to Mascherano, Lucas says he is ready to step into his shoes and fight for the right to keep the position over the coming season.
      Lucas said: ‘Of course we all hope Javier stays because he is such a good player but we’ll just have to wait and see over that.
      ‘I’m not the same player as Javier, we have different styles, but I am ready to play and to impress and do whatever job the manager needs from me.
      ‘I think I did well last season but I think in this one I can do even better wherever I play. I know I am able to play the role Javier does because last season I played a few games when he was at right back.
      ‘I’ve got no problem with doing that job - I know I can do it if that is what the manager wants.’
      Lucas will hand over the armband when Gerrard returns to the side. England’s World Cup skipper is expected to play at least 45 minutes in a friendly against Borussia Moenchengladbach in Germany tomorrow, along with Joe Cole, Jamie Carragher and Glen Johnson.
      It has taken Lucas some time to be accepted at Anfield but his solid start to preseason has not gone unnoticed by Hodgson, who has only worked with a threadbare squad so far.
      Lucas added: ‘I know there are a lot of senior players in front of me but I hope I did a good job and that I can stay in the team as well.
      ‘If everyone’s back for the second leg I’m sure we will be even better. There is a lot of competition for places, but that can only be good for Liverpool and what we want to do this season.
      ‘We are expecting positive things this season. We’ve got good players who have come, others who are to come back, and hopefully this year will be a lot better than last.’
      Meanwhile, UEFA have confirmed they are to investigate claims of racist chants against Liverpool players in Thursday’s 2-0 win over FK Rabotnicki.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299064/Roy-Hodgson-steal-Steven-Defour-Sir-Alex-Ferguson.html#ixzz0vDFVQkYE

Quick Reply