Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Steven Defour (Standard Liege)

Read 19465 times
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Steven Defour (Standard Liege)
      Reply #69: Aug 03, 2010 06:35:54 pm
      Jaysus if we get the right owners we may target Iniesta Messi and Xavi ;), Defour might drop to bottom of our wanted list beside that clown Poulsen
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #70: Aug 03, 2010 06:38:06 pm
      When a player does well in a World Cup or Euro, we all seem to agree that it's not enough to judge their quality based on 3, 4 (sometimes even 7) games. But then again, here in this thread everyone seem so convinced about Defour's brilliance. Honestly, how many times have you people seen him play?

I'm not saying he isn't great, I'd be very excited if we signed him, I just don't want to jump on the bandwagon so easily.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #71: Aug 03, 2010 08:45:18 pm
      Young nd very good player, but Im not convinced with his defensive abilities. I'd rather get lass diarra or flamini (they also have experience of English football). I'd like Defour as a replacement not for mascherano but for lucas.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #72: Aug 03, 2010 08:48:08 pm
      It's worrying that Poulsen is higher on Roy's list than this fella.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #73: Aug 03, 2010 08:49:10 pm
      I think people are excited Diego because they comparing him to the other type of players been linked to us ie Poulsen, Young, Petrov etc.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #74: Aug 03, 2010 09:29:59 pm
      It's worrying that Poulsen is higher on Roy's list than this fella.

but is he? how do you know this? i know there is no smoke without fire but it doesnt mean he is high on his list.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #75: Aug 03, 2010 09:46:55 pm
      Why not get Iniesta instead? ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #76: Aug 03, 2010 09:55:27 pm
      I think people are excited Diego because they comparing him to the other type of players been linked to us ie Poulsen, Young, Petrov etc.

I know, I just don't like the idea of talking about something I don't know.

Everyone is so fast to refuse players who had a good WC cause it's not enough games to make a judgement, yet most of us have only seen Defour play a couple of times and think it's enough to say he is brilliant, a fantastic signing etc

I do agree though that it looks much better than our other targets, I would be very excited if we signed him
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #77: Aug 03, 2010 10:36:54 pm
      I've seen Defour play regularly for Standard in the Belgian competition and for the Belgian national team, good box to box midfielder with alot of potential. I'd prefer Axel Witsel though.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #78: Aug 03, 2010 11:05:24 pm
      Question you have to ask is, is he better or got better potential than what we already have here ?

Gerrard No.
      Aquilani No.
      Masch, No, but he may be moving on.
      Lucas Yes
      Spearing Yes
      Shevley possibly haven't seen enough of him potentially to be certain
      Plessis Yes.

So to be fair he's better/potentially better than possibly than 3 out of 6, possibly 4 out of 6 depending on Masch's future than our current central midfielders, so for that reason he should be given great considerartion.

Wrong place I know, but you b***ard RedLFC! I spent two minutes trying to work out how a bug had got under my screen, trying to scratch it off, before I scrolled down and realised it was your signature!

As for Defour, he is a quality player, who would fit into the Premiership well. Hopefully this will become more likely following the suspected investment.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #79: Aug 03, 2010 11:44:23 pm
      Unless Roy can pull another rabbit out of the hat looks like Poulsen is more likely, shame as this lad is far better suited, mobile and has age on his side.
      Georgelfc
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #80: Aug 04, 2010 05:09:42 pm
      He's a great player with a huge potential of improving
      A player we need to sign but it looks like we're signing Poulsen (Great player too)
      plus if we signed Defour we could rub into the Mancs faces :P
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #81: Aug 04, 2010 07:33:59 pm
      but is he? how do you know this? i know there is no smoke without fire but it doesnt mean he is high on his list.

Because we're linked with Poulsen every other day compared to this fella.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #82: Aug 05, 2010 02:19:44 pm
      Defour = young quality player, who will only get better, Poulsen = overpriced old has rarely been.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #83: Aug 06, 2010 11:46:18 am
      Defour chase on hold until next summer

Liverpool and Manchester United will have to wait until next summer to battle it out to sign Belgian wonderkid Steven Defour according to the player’s agent with the international likely to stay at Standard Liege this summer.

The Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is leading the race to sign the player ahead of  Liverpool while Chelsea and Manchester City are also closely monitoring the situation. However Ferguson and Hodgson will wait to see how the Belgian international recovers from his career threatening leg break.

Defour, 22, won the Golden Shoe in 2008, the official award for the most valuable player in the Belgian league, however a broken leg in September 2009 kept the talented midfielder on the sidelines for much of the last campaign. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson even wrote to the player to commiserate over the leg break which ruled him out of much of last season’s Champions League campaign promising to keep in touch with the youngsters progress.

Paul Stefani revealed this week: "It's highly likely Steven will be a Liege player this season.

"In the future, you don't know. Of course there is interest from some clubs but Steven wants to play more games at his current club.

"He has had an injury and needs to get back playing regularly, so for now it's best if he stays put."

Stefani confirmed to Sport.co.uk that Defour must concentrate on his recovery this summer:

“At the moment we are waiting for Steven’s injury problems to be finished and for him to start training. He is not 100 % fit and he has not recover fully from his injury. So nothing can happen.

“You never know what will happen in the future, but at the moment there is nothing, he must concentrate on recovering.”

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/41809/Defour_chase_on_hold_until_next_summer.aspx?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #84: Aug 06, 2010 01:05:11 pm
      At least by next year we might be in a financial position to compete with Chelski and Citeh.

Touch wood and all good luck bearing items
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #85: Aug 21, 2010 01:36:16 am
      With Aquilani sadly off to Juve on loan, it would make my day if we signed Defour as we're now short of attacking, creative options. He is an amazing player - with his best years ahead of him - and could work really well with Mascherano and Gerrard in midfield. 

If reports are correct, he'd cost just short of the £10M mark - can we afford him though?
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #86: Aug 22, 2010 07:26:56 am
      He'd be the beat replacement for aquilani, and would take the load off gerrard
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #87: Aug 22, 2010 11:50:39 am
      Alberto is nowhere near Defour's quality in center midfield.

I disagree mate to be honest, for vision, range of passing and the ability to unlock a defense Aquilani is a much Classier player, however when it comes to energy and tackling then Defour is ahead in that department.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #88: Aug 22, 2010 04:18:54 pm
      At least by next year we might be in a financial position to compete with Chelski and Citeh.

Touch wood and all good luck bearing items
      We hope!!!!
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #89: Aug 22, 2010 05:11:53 pm
      Have not seen enough of defour to make a judgment but he was excellent when I have seen him. Aquilani cannot deal with the physical side of the game in this country imo.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #90: Aug 22, 2010 06:04:46 pm
      We have Stevie G and we're looking for Stevie D when we had the very classy Aquilani...just doesn't add up to me.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #91: Aug 23, 2010 09:04:37 am
      Now Alberto has left us- I would love to get this guy in!

Quick Reply