Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Heskey Retires From England Duty

Read 6687 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Heskey Retires From England Duty
      Jul 15, 2010 02:23:48 pm
      bbc.co.uk

Striker Heskey retires from international football 

Heskey misses good chance against USA

England striker Emile Heskey has announced his retirement from international football.

The 32-year-old was part of England manager Fabio Capello's much-criticised squad at the recent World Cup as they performed poorly in South Africa.

Heskey made his England debut against Hungary on 28 April, 1999 and earned 62 caps, scoring seven goals.

"I have enjoyed every moment of my England career and worn the shirt with pride when selected," he said.

"I would like to thank every manager I have played under, everyone at the FA and the fans for all their support over the years.

"I wish the management team and the playing squad all the best for the future."

Aston Villa forward Heskey was also part of the England squad's at 2002 World Cup as well as the 2000 and 2004 European Championships.

He scored in the group stages against Denmark in the group stages of the 2020 World Cup but failed to score in South Africa after starting against the United States and Algeria before coming on as a substitute against Slovenia and Germany.

Heskey divided opinion with his inclusion in Capello's starting line-up, with critics arguing his ability as a target man were not matcvhed by his finishing ability in front of goal.

And, despite teeing up Steven Gerrard for the opener in the 1-1 draw against the US, he also failed to take a gilt-edged chance to win the game for England late on.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Heskey Retires From England Duty
      Reply #1: Jul 15, 2010 02:26:46 pm
      Well that's England fu**ed then isn't it.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2: Jul 15, 2010 02:30:10 pm
      Well that's England fu**ed then isn't it.

my thinking exactly!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Jul 15, 2010 02:35:53 pm
      Even though I don't think he's England standard I do feel sorry for him sometimes with all the jip that he gets. Seems a really decent fella.

Thanks Emile.
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #4: Jul 15, 2010 05:22:39 pm
      I am totally devasted by this news i can't see any future for England without him.

He was total plank and should not have been played intead of Crouch.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #5: Jul 15, 2010 05:29:32 pm
      Even though I don't think he's England standard I do feel sorry for him sometimes with all the jip that he gets. Seems a really decent fella.

Thanks Emile.

I second that.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6: Jul 15, 2010 05:32:57 pm
      Thanks Emile, but couldn't you have retired 8-10 weeks ago?  You would have had longer holiday for starters and somewhere hotter than South Africa in winter, let alone freed up a space on the plane that deserved to go more than you.... :f_tongueincheek:
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Jul 15, 2010 05:35:22 pm
      A sad day for England  :roll: :f_tongueincheek:
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #8: Jul 15, 2010 05:35:27 pm
      Thanks Emile, but couldn't you have retired 8-10 weeks ago?  You would have had longer holiday for starters and somewhere hotter than South Africa in winter, let alone freed up a space on the plane that deserved to go more than you.... :f_tongueincheek:

Well said there Roddenberry, my thoughts exactly.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Jul 15, 2010 07:34:00 pm
      I Thought he already had, he beat David Blaines record for doing F**k all in a box for 42days.
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #10: Jul 15, 2010 07:38:07 pm
      Think they all should Retire from England Bar Johnson,Gerrard, They were Awful this summer .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Jul 16, 2010 01:19:54 am
      Feel sorry for him because he got a lot of unfair stick from the sort of tw*ts who listen to Talksport and Adrian Durham religiously. He was never in the England team to score goals and that's that. He was in it to maximise the talent of Wayne Rooney. Unfortunately Rooney was 10 times as sh*t as he was and for his performances alone in the World Cup that c**t should retire with him.
      Chach
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 16, 2010 01:28:55 am
      He was only useful for bringing out the best in owen
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #13: Jul 16, 2010 10:12:32 am
      Feel sorry for him because he got a lot of unfair stick from the sort of tw*ts who listen to Talksport and Adrian Durham religiously. He was never in the England team to score goals and that's that. He was in it to maximise the talent of Wayne Rooney. Unfortunately Rooney was 10 times as sh*t as he was and for his performances alone in the World Cup that c**t should retire with him.

Rubbish.

Heskey was picked as a striker and as such you should be a threat to the opposition and have the ability to score goals.

It seems like its you that has been listening to the pundits who all use the same old arguments to hide his obvious deficiencies of not being able to hit an aircraft hangers doors.

Here's what you are saying then and my thoughts.

He has great ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play - He doesn't, his touch is crap.

He is unselfish - He cannot score so wins a few flick ons from time to time with no direction.

He is good at defending corners - thanks Emile but I would rather you bang them in the other end.

He has a great workrate - I will run aimlessly around without making any impact and useful contribution.

He is there to bring the best out of others - Wrong he is there to score goals when the chance comes along.

Wake up mate - Heskey got 62 more caps than he deserved.

An absolute joke of a player.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #14: Jul 16, 2010 10:27:52 am
      I am totally devasted by this news i can't see any future for England without him.

He was total plank and should not have been played intead of Crouch.

Whatever your take on EH the prospect of playing Peter Crouch immediately conjures up a picture far more positive than that of Emile who will run all day with no objective in mind. Questions have to be asked about the reasons for his selection and the credibility of the coach.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #15: Jul 16, 2010 11:03:09 am
      Rubbish.

Heskey was picked as a striker and as such you should be a threat to the opposition and have the ability to score goals.

It seems like its you that has been listening to the pundits who all use the same old arguments to hide his obvious deficiencies of not being able to hit an aircraft hangers doors.

Here's what you are saying then and my thoughts.

He has great ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play - He doesn't, his touch is crap.

He is unselfish - He cannot score so wins a few flick ons from time to time with no direction.

He is good at defending corners - thanks Emile but I would rather you bang them in the other end.

He has a great workrate - I will run aimlessly around without making any impact and useful contribution.

He is there to bring the best out of others - Wrong he is there to score goals when the chance comes along.

Wake up mate - Heskey got 62 more caps than he deserved.

An absolute joke of a player.

You wouldn't have said that within the first season or so of his Liverpool career.

I agree with what Frankly, Mr Shankly said, it seems to haver become trhe in-thing to slag off Heskey for all England's world cup woes, especially whne you have pricks on Mock The Week having a dig at him who know F**k-all about the game, yet say F**k-all about England's supposed wordl-beater and manc gobs***e Wayne Rooney who did F**k-all and tw*ts like Frank Lampard and John Terry, especially Terry who seemed to make his business in destroying any team-spirit England had out in South Africa.

Anyway all those wankers who sang THAT song, could they score past the Germans, cos big Emile did!!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16: Jul 16, 2010 11:07:28 am
      No matter your opinion on Heskey, if Fabio Capello had stuck to his intentions of only picking inform & uninjured players, Heskey & a few others, wouldn't & shouldn't have gone to South Africa.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #17: Jul 16, 2010 12:21:58 pm
      You wouldn't have said that within the first season or so of his Liverpool career.

I agree with what Frankly, Mr Shankly said, it seems to haver become trhe in-thing to slag off Heskey for all England's world cup woes, especially whne you have pricks on Mock The Week having a dig at him who know f**k-all about the game, yet say f**k-all about England's supposed wordl-beater and manc gobs***e Wayne Rooney who did f**k-all and tw*ts like Frank Lampard and John Terry, especially Terry who seemed to make his business in destroying any team-spirit England had out in South Africa.

Anyway all those wankers who sang THAT song, could they score past the Germans, cos big Emile did!!

HR - I have never rated him.

I am not blaming him for all of Englands woes or basing my opinions on mock the week either just that in my opinion he shouldnt have been there in the first place. A bit like Phil Neville - also played many many times when he deserved no caps.

I remember his first season with us and he done ok - still not worthy of an international place but he did ok. I have stronger memories of the seasons after that sitting freezing my arse off on the kop watching Big Em lumber about on the pitch putting no effort in whatsoever.

Heskey for me will always be considered one of the worst players to represent England.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #18: Jul 16, 2010 01:25:40 pm

I agree with what Frankly, Mr Shankly said, it seems to haver become trhe in-thing to slag off Heskey for all England's world cup woes, especially whne you have pricks on Mock The Week having a dig at him who know F**k-all about the game, yet say F**k-all about England's supposed wordl-beater and manc gobs***e Wayne Rooney who did F**k-all and tw*ts like Frank Lampard and John Terry, especially Terry who seemed to make his business in destroying any team-spirit England had out in South Africa.

Agree entirely with your comments about his first season but he was F***ing dire after that after saying that there's no way in the world the lad should be a scapegoat for the likes of the gobs***e Rooney and the rest of the overpaid F***ing tosspots who did not show up whatsoever.
      It's the same old tale with the manc based media ignore the facts and continue jerking each off while the F***ing morons are having it all day.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #19: Jul 16, 2010 01:40:32 pm
      bbc.co.uk

Striker Heskey retires from international football  

He scored in the group stages against Denmark in the group stages of the 2020 World Cup
       but failed to score in South Africa after starting against the United States and Algeria before coming on as a substitute against Slovenia and Germany.

Something tells me he'll be back ! :f_tongueincheek:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #20: Jul 16, 2010 02:50:00 pm
      Heskey for me will always be considered one of the worst players to represent England.

Nah, Carlton Palmer or Andy Sinton wins that all day long!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Jul 16, 2010 02:53:24 pm
      Crouch and Defoe should have started up front for England in the World Cup.
      Relying on an injured bluesh!te and an articulated truck up front cost them dear.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #22: Jul 16, 2010 04:30:49 pm

I agree with what Frankly, Mr Shankly said, it seems to haver become trhe in-thing to slag off Heskey for all England's world cup woes, especially whne you have pricks on Mock The Week having a dig at him who know f**k-all about the game, yet say f**k-all about England's supposed wordl-beater and manc gobs***e Wayne Rooney who did f**k-all and tw*ts like Frank Lampard and John Terry, especially Terry who seemed to make his business in destroying any team-spirit England had out in South Africa.

Wankers on Mock The Week? I've seen enough already. Has been show with desperate "comedians" on it. Watched it last night and it was abysmally unfunny. No wonder Russell Howard's on it, but anyway I've skewed off topic! And I totally agree with you the major reason for England's failings was the presence of arrogant, selfish, immoral and soulless tw*ts in that squad who were clearly only it it for themselves. Ashley Cole and especially John Terry were the two cu*ts who should never pull on an England shirt again.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #23: Jul 16, 2010 04:39:20 pm
      Nah, Carlton Palmer or Andy Sinton wins that all day long!!

What about Geoff Thomas...remember him from Crystal Palace I think - he tried a shot from about 40 yards that went wide or way over not sure was so long ago!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Jul 16, 2010 07:23:04 pm
      International Football just wont be the same without Heskey :f_whistle:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #25: Jul 19, 2010 12:55:40 pm
      What about Geoff Thomas...remember him from Crystal Palace I think - he tried a shot from about 40 yards that went wide or way over not sure was so long ago!

Yeah but he got cancer, so it's not funny laughing at Geoff.

Carlton Palmer on the other hand, I'll never stop laughing my head off at.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,502 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #26: Jul 19, 2010 02:07:20 pm
      How Heskey got into the England team for last campaign is a mystery. The ball seemed alergic to his feet and shins. He was terrible at the WC.
      Even in his days at Liverpool people would talk about his 'potential' - which in turn you can read into that he's wasn't playing as well as expected. He used to drive me mad - he'd get a bit of a bump and start limpin around like a girl instead of running it off.

Quick Reply