Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Popularity and The Weather

Read 1911 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,777 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Popularity and The Weather
      Jun 25, 2007 11:07:54 am
      As there hasn't been much or really any activity in the Transfer market, I've been doing alot of thinking. We all know the obvious reasons, lack of funds, leagues not having finished up till now and Managers/Owners putting ridiculous price tags on players heads.

Two other factors have come into my mind and I just wanted to get everyones or anyones opinion on them.  I'll start with the Weather as it's the easiest one of the two . Not living in Liverpool myself, the general feeling I get from having read peoples posts in the past, listening to the commentary at the start of matches at Anfield, and what I feel is perceived about Liverpool City, is the weather is pretty ordinary, Grey, wet and generally pretty crappy. Don't worry I'm not knocking your city (believe me, I can't wait to get there) , because it's pretty much the same in Melbourne...we're famous for having all 4 seasons happen in one day!  But the perception of it being like this makes me think that potential targets are put off by wanting to join our FAMOUS club. This irritates me no end, that players would rather play in sunny, barmy conditions than come to the Best Club in the World and play in every possible condition this world has to offer, therefore putting there entire skills on display.

Secondly and more importantly Popularity.....I know and you guys and girls know how much this club means to us...and how we see ourselves as the Greatest Club in the whole wide world...and bloody oath it's true....but I also believe that alot of people out there who may not be as fanatical as us but still like watching the game, barrack for Real Madrid because they have won more titles than anyone else in La Liga, Barcelona only because of Ronaldinho and I hate to say it but the Mancs, mainly because they won  >:( all those titles in the 90's. This makes me think that maybe some players out there would rather go to these more glamorous clubs for the glory of being labelled a player who played for the aforementioned clubs then come to the mighty LFC.  If they aren't being courted by these glamorous clubs, then they'd rather stay where they are as they are in a comfort zone. This is why I feel that players we want...eg Simao from Benfica, Malouda from Lyon, David Villa from Valencia, Eto'o from Barcelona, Tevez from West Ham don't really want to come to us because they don't see us as being as BIG as those other 3. These sort of players should be honored to play for Liverpool Football Club. They should be telling their managers/owners of there current clubs to do everything possible to make it happen and know that if they signed on the dotted line and they gave 100% to the cause, they would be revered and treated like heroes and maybe just maybe they would also realize that they would be doing there part in ensuring what we as LFC supporters know already...that we are and Will always be the GREATEST Club in Football History.

Sorry about the rant.. had to get it off my chest and just hope something happens soon. Let the debate begin ;) or just tell me I'm talking through my arse....just remember all of the above are my thoughts on the current lack of transfer activity.

Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Popularity and The Weather
      Reply #1: Jun 25, 2007 12:05:08 pm
      No Aussie, you're not talking through your arse.  Good post!  I think players from Spain (and are Spanish) are normally put off because they are not used to the type of weather that we can offer.  I don't think they have heard much about us, really. 

I think the reason why is that Man Utd have been winning all the titles since the 90's (thats how they would see it) and they have looked at us and thought.  They haven't won the league for 17 years.  Why would I want to join them when I can join a club that is in the spotlight. I think we need to bag someone with the caliber of Torres to put pressure on the Chavs and the Scum.  Then when we win the League.  Next season or the next after that.  I think some players, would look at us in a different light.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 25, 2007 12:06:01 pm
      Awesome post there buddy.

I suppose this world is full of dickheads and football has its fair shair of them.

But if money can turn a shitty club like chelsea around then we should be on the up and up from now on
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2007 12:35:55 pm by Venom-C »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,777 posts | 6725 
      Reply #3: Jun 25, 2007 12:17:17 pm
      Thanks guys for your comments ::)

Court I think you're spot on about Torres - he wore You'll Never Walk Alone on his armband which tells me he really does love the CLUB and wants to come here...hopefully the deal is done soon mate....coz I just know he'll wear that RED shirt with pride.

Torres 9 really does have a nice ring to it.
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007 12:57:45 am by JD »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Jun 25, 2007 02:07:07 pm
      Great post AussieRed.

You're definately right about the weather, foreign players have cited it as a reason not to move to England before. All I can say is these players must have very limited ambitions, as the Prem is currently the best, most exciting league in the world, and it should be an honour for anyone to get the opportunity to play in it.

With regards to popularity, i'm not so sure. Remember we've been in two Champions League finals in three years, and are held in high esteem across Europe. Our fans are notorious, on numerous occassions I've heard players say they'd love a crowd like ours (Henry, Torres & Villa to name a few).

I'd like to add another theory why players don't want to come, not just to us but the Premiership in general. Fear. How many players have come to England & not been able to adapt to our league? The football we play is faster & tougher than anywhere else, and some players can't deal with it. Morientes, Shevchenko, Veron, Ballack, Wiltord, these guys were all class in their respective leagues, but in the Prem haven't cut the mustard. Some players will see this as a challenge & eagerly anticipate it, others will be too afraid of being found lacking & choose to stay with their current club, or move to another club in the same league.
      Lea
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 25, 2007 02:47:46 pm
      think of global warming....in a few years all the spanish,italien,etc. players will do anything to play in the uk ;)

this may sound stupid, but honestly i think another reason why some players won`t join us , and other english teams in general, could be the press.
      It`s always said, british press is the toughest in the world, and maybe some players (the real big names especially) might be put off because of that.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #6: Jun 25, 2007 05:27:32 pm
      Thats a fair point Lea ;) I agree with you Aussie, perhaps life in Liverpool may not be as sunny and "holiday" like as Madrid or Barcelona. However, I do believe, the top players will know how big Liverpool are and I think that Torres appreciates this and I do believe (and hope) he joins us as our new no. 9.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #7: Jun 25, 2007 08:09:01 pm
      Good post Aussie.

If only Harry Kewell had pondered this .... ;)

Not sure how much the weather plays on the mind of a professional footballer to be honest? We're the third most succesfull football club in Europe in terms of European titles won, we have one of the proudest histories in World football, and you would have to imagine that it represents a great sporting challenge to re-awaken a sleeping giant back to being the Champions of their country which they haven't been for 17 years?

There are a lot of quality footballers in Europe who have not played in one Champions League final, never mind the two we have in recent years.

As for the weather - how hot do you want it when you're running around chasing a ball in front of 50,000 screaming fans? They've all got the rest of their lives (after they're 35) to sunbathe. Come to Anfield. Win yourself some medals.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Jun 25, 2007 11:28:37 pm
      Doesn't it all come down to the individual?

The way football has changed due to money and exaggerated personal status probably shapes more players desires these days. You only have to look at Chelsea to see that.

But I'd hope that history, reputation and passionate fans over shadows that for most talented footballers. And to see where we are heading can't do too bad in being an attractive challenge for anyone to look upon.

I think Eddie made a good point about the challenge of the premiership. Some players could be happy with a "comfort zone". Play for a reasonable big foreign club, overpaid, lovely big house, settled with a language and happy with their football where they play it. But then some want the challenge and that's where the £££ comes into effect. Not all are like that though, so really it depends on the individual.

For me, you want players who really want to play for the club, because of the club. That way money and weather doesn't really come into it. And I like to think we're as popular as the rest...

Good post Aussie!
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007 12:58:05 am by JD »
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #9: Jun 25, 2007 11:35:00 pm
      I would definatley agree with what you are saying about the wheather as many players more adapated to hot , sunnier climates seem to struggle in the premiership on a cold boxing day morning for example . Thier is also evidence to back up this theory as Luis Garcia has in the past groaned about the English weather also Jose Antonio Reyes went as far as to return to Spain as he was homesick and this was largley down to the weather and English lifestyle.

As for Liverpool not being as popular as other rival clubs i would also agree with you to an extent. Especially the much younger forign players who are not accustomed with English football history may choose clubs who have had recent success but 2 European Cup finals in two years aint bad so thier is room for optimism!. Hoprfully if we can bring in Torres we will have a influx of high profile signings in the coming years if these yanks do end up putting thier hands in thier pockets!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #10: Jun 26, 2007 12:17:26 am
      I only ever played at amateur level but teams who were winning everything in sight didn't interest me. I was occasionaly invited, but always preffered to play for the  slightly lesser teams and would relish the chance to   
                                                         ' MAKE A DIFFERENCE'.

To hammer the poxy glory hunters who were always attracted to the ' best side' Show them I was as good if not better than them, demand respect by beating them, and I would become a part of a team that would go on and win things but I was proud that I was a part of what made that possible. Fantastic team spirit, never lie down, always believe. Thats why the Manure have such shallow minded fans. The club attract glory hunters with low morals and big egos.

Surely some of the top players would want to come to Liverpool so they could be the iceing on the cake, to tip the balance, surely the can see we're only one or two players away from brilliance, wouldn't they want it to be them !
      « Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007 12:58:24 am by JD »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,777 posts | 6725 
      Reply #11: Jun 26, 2007 03:03:07 am

To hammer the poxy glory hunters who were always attracted to the ' best side' Show them I was as good if not better than them, demand respect by beating them, and I would become a part of a team that would go on and win things but I was proud that I was a part of what made that possible. Fantastic team spirit, never lie down, always believe. Thats why the Manure have such shallow minded fans. The club attract glory hunters with low morals and big egos.

Surely some of the top players would want to come to Liverpool so they could be the iceing on the cake, to tip the balance, surely the can see we're only one or two players away from brilliance, wouldn't they want it to be them !

Gerns that's exactly my way of thinking and should be every players way of thinking...it's much more special when you are the underdogs in life (it's an Aussie thing ;))..you play together and grow together as a TEAM and you go out there and win the honours. Some of these players are just doing it for the cash..."glory hunters" as you say. I want to win Titles the old fashioned way, hard work, 110% commitment to the cause and never lie down...just fight right to the end....we deserve it.....we need it and we have to show no matter who plays for us that we want it more than the others. That's what I want from any player signing for us, not to think about all the outside factors, but believe this truly is the Greatest Club in the World and that they should be honored to pull that Famous Red Shirt on. :scarf:
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #12: Jun 26, 2007 05:08:58 pm
      I disagree mate...sorry!  Ok, so the weather here isn't great...big deal! 

The money these guys are being paid and the stature of playing for one of the big four means the 'pull' of the Premiership is very strong.

Us Brits hate the weather here and can't understand why tourists come to this country...but you should visit London, think it has one of the highest income of tourists in the World - don't ask me why!

And also we speak 'ENGLISH' here, which is the Universal Language....most foreign players can musta a 'For Sure'!!

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,777 posts | 6725 
      Reply #13: Jun 26, 2007 11:00:31 pm
      I disagree mate...sorry!  Ok, so the weather here isn't great...big deal! 

You can disagree mate...no need to be sorry...what I'm saying though, is that these sort of factors come into a potential targets mind when contemplating joining LFC and I wish that they didn't,,  that they should want to come here for the love of the badge.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Jun 27, 2007 05:08:35 pm
      Cracking post AussieRed!  ;D

They are definitley factors that come into it when signing for a new club! I can see Torres seeing past them, in my opinion, but I can imagine a few other players turning their noses up!

I'm gutted Henry has gone to Barcelona, but we have to be realistic! Arsenal are in the same boat as us technically in the league so he's going to go elsewhere rather than a team that could end up staying at the same level!

But if you think about it, if any of these players who turn us down because of factors such as the weather, or the city itself, then do we really want them on board? Mallouda, for example, turned my opinion of him on it's head by demanding we make him feel wanted! He should be honoured that we have even expressed interest, because of the club we are! So after that, I have hoped we do not sign him, as I can see him being a stuck-up player who is in the game for himself and not to win things! 

Quick Reply