Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

So who will be our left back?

Read 13022 times
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Re: So who will be our left back?
      Reply #115: Jul 19, 2010 11:22:16 pm
      David Santon ;) , wouldn't mind Inter offering us 20 million plus Santon for Masch :) That'd be a great deal, especially seeing that Masch is cleary not arsed about Liverpool.
      MyRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #116: Jul 19, 2010 11:56:41 pm
      Try getting warnock back if possible. His commitment was top class for us. Other than him that portugese left back looks promising. That Fabio I-cant-spell-his-name fella.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #117: Jul 20, 2010 12:19:57 am
      Wayne Bridge anyone?
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #118: Jul 20, 2010 12:21:13 am

One footed and poor at defending I would prefer Taiwo much more!!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #119: Jul 20, 2010 02:36:09 am
      He's in the same boat as Srna.  He's a well rounded midfielder who was asked to drop back to a defensive role due to the lack of quality Croatian fullbacks.  If we get him for around the £6m mark, would be a good piece of business.

He can do a job at left back but my concern is his size and pace for the premiership.

I will never forget the night Walcott took the piss and tore him to shreds in Zagreb. 
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #120: Jul 20, 2010 03:24:12 am
      Try getting warnock back if possible. His commitment was top class for us. Other than him that portugese left back looks promising. That Fabio I-cant-spell-his-name fella.

Coentrao isit? Yeah he's a promising player, was one of the shining full backs in the world cup to be fair, great at bombarding forward but haven't seen enough of him to comment on his defending, he's more of a left winger/wingback than a defender. I had a look at his wikipedia page a few days ago and found this little part.

"After the amazing season of 2009-2010, Fabio Coentrão earned some top clubs interest like Manchester City, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and also Chelsea. To release Fabio Coentrão, Benfica was asking for 30 Millions €, the value of his cancellation clause. Due to this, every club but Manchester City stopped trying to hire him. He is currently targeted by Liverpool FC and is said to be keen on the transfer as it would guarantee him first team football for a great club."

Isn't worded very well and could've just been put in by a random Portuguese fella but there we are. :laugh:
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010 03:29:16 am by StevieG-force »
      mitko94
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #121: Jul 20, 2010 11:53:52 pm
      How about Liam Ridgewell...or Marcell Jansen ?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #122: Jul 21, 2010 12:09:45 am
      Kelly could probably fill in there and do a good job.
      liverpool9292
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts |
      Reply #123: Jul 21, 2010 12:30:48 am
      Coentrao isit? Yeah he's a promising player, was one of the shining full backs in the world cup to be fair, great at bombarding forward but haven't seen enough of him to comment on his defending, he's more of a left winger/wingback than a defender. I had a look at his wikipedia page a few days ago and found this little part.

"After the amazing season of 2009-2010, Fabio Coentrão earned some top clubs interest like Manchester City, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and also Chelsea. To release Fabio Coentrão, Benfica was asking for 30 Millions €, the value of his cancellation clause. Due to this, every club but Manchester City stopped trying to hire him. He is currently targeted by Liverpool FC and is said to be keen on the transfer as it would guarantee him first team football for a great club."

Isn't worded very well and could've just been put in by a random Portuguese fella but there we are. :laugh:
      According to wikipedia he now plays for liverpool, Hodgson kept this one quiet! ;)
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #124: Jul 21, 2010 12:42:14 am
      Yep, no.18 for Liverpool :roll:

Wouldn't mind this guy one bit, would be a great signing for the club, cant see his defending being overly good mind with him being labelled as more of a winger.
      Great option to have though.
      Play Coentrao and Johnson against the lesser teams and we'd kill them :P especially with the pace of Remy + Torres or the desire of Jovanovic + Kuyt getting on their balls! Can't wait for next season :P

And yes i do realise how that sounds ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #125: Jul 21, 2010 12:49:15 am
      I second this the problem being the Marseille president Dassier said he won't be allowing Taye to leave.

Problem  being for the Marseille president is, he only has a 12 months left on his contract, so will he sell now or risk losing for free ?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #126: Jul 21, 2010 12:56:02 am
      From Wikipedia:

Fábio Alexandre da Silva Coentrão (born 11 March 1988 in Vila do Conde) is a Portuguese footballer
      who plays for Premier League club Liverpool and the Portuguese national football team.

Mainly a left winger, he can also operate as a left defender.
      "I have no doubts that in two or three years, Fábio is going to be the best winger in the world." (Jorge Jesus)

Woop Woop.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #127: Jul 21, 2010 08:02:00 am
      I miss Riise.

PD: But I'd love to see Coentrao come. Plus he's young.
      « Last Edit: Jul 21, 2010 08:07:39 am by jabv »
      halofreak11789
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #128: Jul 21, 2010 08:35:40 am
      wut bout that one Maynor Figueroa ? isnt he pretty good.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #129: Jul 21, 2010 09:26:39 am
      Kelly could probably fill in there and do a good job.

Isnt Kelly a right back...?

No more players being played out of position please.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #130: Jul 21, 2010 09:38:30 am
      Isnt Kelly a right back...?

No more players being played out of position please.

He's like Carra.  A utility defender but his best position is CB.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #131: Jul 21, 2010 10:51:40 am
      insua ;D
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #132: Jul 23, 2010 08:50:46 pm
      ^So Insua is still with us.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #133: Jul 23, 2010 10:33:09 pm
      Fine Roy but what about getting someone else in to replace Insua, and Fabio for that matter.  No comment about getting replacements or even if their are targets for this position.

Sell To Buy

Sell To Buy

Sell To Pay Interest

Sell To Buy

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #134: Jul 23, 2010 11:22:43 pm
      It sound as if, with Coentrao on the left and Johnson on the right, we will need to play 3
      C. B. to be able to cover for them when they bomb forward and forget to track back. Not a massive problem, especially if they create something when they do get forward. Probably create more goals.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #135: Aug 01, 2010 11:51:16 am
      Madness.

Looks like the answer to the question "who will replace Aurelio and Insua", is Aurelio and Insua.

If Aurelio can remain fully fit for the majority of the season (:-\), then I feel he is a far, far better option than the players we have been linked to.

However, this whole affair stinks of desperation, when you consider some the names we've been linked to - and then we don't even seem able to afford them!

I'd prefer these two over some aging and inferior player, but the fact we couldn't buy a quality left back after the sales we've made this summer and in January STINKS.

YANKS OUT.
      jake15919
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 359 posts | 14 
      • Something, something, something, the dark side.
      Reply #136: Aug 01, 2010 11:54:42 am
      Madness.

Looks like the answer to the question "who will replace Aurelio and Insua", is Aurelio and Insua.

If Aurelio can remain fully fit for the majority of the season (:-\), then I feel he is a far, far better option than the players we have been linked to.

However, this whole affair stinks of desperation, when you consider some the names we've been linked to - and then we don't even seem able to afford them!

I'd prefer these two over some aging and inferior player, but the fact we couldn't buy a quality left back after the sales we've made this summer and in January STINKS.

YANKS OUT.

The names we were linked to stank of desperation.

The whole situation stinks of farce.

redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #137: Aug 01, 2010 11:58:25 am
      Ayrton mate, I do not think that our left-back situation (especially the resigning of Aurelio) is desperation. I don't think the board has anything to do with it. My belief is that Aurelio being released by the club was Rafa's decision. Rafa felt that Aurelio was too injury prone and it wasn't worth renewing his contract. However later Rafa's contract was torn into pieces by Purslime and then in stepped Hodgson.

A month later, Hodgson found out Aurelio was still without a club, so he invited him for a training session at Melwood to assess his readiness and fitness. And then Hodgson and his medical team decided that he's good enough, not crooked any longer and so offered him a new contract.

This resigning was done by two different managers. Because if Rafa was still at the helm then Aurelio wouldn't have returned. I prefer to think it in the way that it's a decision made by Rafa, then a decision made by Hodgson.

But of course Yanks Out 100%.

Quick Reply