Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

So who will be our left back?

Read 13083 times
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Re: So who will be our left back?
      Reply #92: Jul 19, 2010 02:47:53 pm
      we could always offer Aurelio a deal, still a freebie?
      i agree with that. nice one ;D
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #93: Jul 19, 2010 03:04:03 pm
      We need at least one first team left back.  The likes of Mavinga and Robinson are decent plan B options, I don't think they're a realistic Plan A though.  Look at a player like Insua, was brilliant when he was used sparingly and was actually competing against a first teamer for a spot but confidence looked shot to pieces by the end of the campaign when he was our default #1 choice and seemed to almost take it for granted.

I think Roy needs to be not scared of playing the likes of Carragher, Agger or Johnson at left back should the situation arise and the youngsters [Mavinga/Robinson/Darby/Kelly/Degen - yes I know he's not a youngster but still you get the point] don't look up to the challenge.  We've got a decent amount of defenders and a fair amount of them are versatile enough, some competition for spots wouldn't go astray.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #94: Jul 19, 2010 04:26:32 pm
      Maybe Agger for the time being - said that simply because his left foot and his overlapping abilities is by far the best among the other defenders. Trying out one of the youngsters would be good, but maybe safer for Roy to rotate with a senior for the time being.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #95: Jul 19, 2010 04:37:20 pm
      Christain Purslow in his Cuban Heels.                 

Reina
      Johnson Carra Agger Purslow
                     Mascherano
         Maxi Gerrard Aquilani Cole
                         Torres
      glines
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts |
      Reply #96: Jul 19, 2010 05:36:35 pm
      What about Garrido? I've only seen him play a few times but I still remember a very very beautiful free kick he scored against us! Stunner.

He isn't getting games at City, his contract expires in a year's time. I don't think he's good enough to be 1st choice week in week out but definitely I think a more than capable backup at a reasonable price.

I second that - Garrido would be a decent and inexpensive option. If they want to keep him, then maybe they'll let us have Wayne Bridge, seeing as they've signed Jerome Boateng.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #97: Jul 19, 2010 05:51:11 pm
      Can Joe Cole play left back? :f_tongueincheek:
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #98: Jul 19, 2010 06:04:25 pm
      That lad Fabio Coentrao would be a class signing but i doubt we could afford him :/
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,668 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #99: Jul 19, 2010 06:13:39 pm
      Reports in the German and Croatian press are gathering pace regarding a move to Liverpool for Danijel Pranjic this summer.

The Bayern Munich star was a reported target for the Reds last summer prior to his move to the Bundesliga but after struggling for a game, Roy Hodgson is expected to test the Champions League finalists' resolve to keep the Croatian international.

The former Heerenveen star spoke out before his move to Bayern Munich regarding the increased speculation over interest from Liverpool and his comments suggest he would welcome a move to Anfield.

The Croat told Omroep Friesland when questioned about Liverpool interest: "I still don't know, that is a difficult question to answer.

"I have to wait until the transfer period and then I will see.

"In every newspaper they called me and I was live on television and they heard something about Liverpool but I cannot say anything about it.

"It was in the newspaper, that is all I know. Yes of course it would be a dream club."

Despite Bayern Munich's fantastic 2009-10 season, Pranjic was not a first choice in the side and lost his place at left-back to German World Cup star Holger Badstuber for much of the campaign.

The Croatian made 20 league appearances but only started 14 games. He is thought to be frustrated but knows that after Fabio Aurelio and Emiliano Insua's departure from Liverpool, he would be first choice to fill in at left-back.

Any opinions on this guy. Just another media link but he is a left back and we need one
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #100: Jul 19, 2010 06:19:56 pm
      Any opinions on this guy. Just another media link but he is a left back and we need one

He's in the same boat as Srna.  He's a well rounded midfielder who was asked to drop back to a defensive role due to the lack of quality Croatian fullbacks.  If we get him for around the £6m mark, would be a good piece of business.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #101: Jul 19, 2010 06:34:48 pm
      Reports in the German and Croatian press are gathering pace regarding a move to Liverpool for Danijel Pranjic this summer.

The Bayern Munich star was a reported target for the Reds last summer prior to his move to the Bundesliga but after struggling for a game, Roy Hodgson is expected to test the Champions League finalists' resolve to keep the Croatian international.

The former Heerenveen star spoke out before his move to Bayern Munich regarding the increased speculation over interest from Liverpool and his comments suggest he would welcome a move to Anfield.

The Croat told Omroep Friesland when questioned about Liverpool interest: "I still don't know, that is a difficult question to answer.

"I have to wait until the transfer period and then I will see.

"In every newspaper they called me and I was live on television and they heard something about Liverpool but I cannot say anything about it.

"It was in the newspaper, that is all I know. Yes of course it would be a dream club."

Despite Bayern Munich's fantastic 2009-10 season, Pranjic was not a first choice in the side and lost his place at left-back to German World Cup star Holger Badstuber for much of the campaign.

The Croatian made 20 league appearances but only started 14 games. He is thought to be frustrated but knows that after Fabio Aurelio and Emiliano Insua's departure from Liverpool, he would be first choice to fill in at left-back.

He's not really a proper left back.
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=31658.0
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #102: Jul 19, 2010 06:40:06 pm
      If we sell Masch I'd be happy if we use some of the money to buy Taye Taiwo.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #103: Jul 19, 2010 06:48:17 pm
      If we sell Masch I'd be happy if we use some of the money to buy Taye Taiwo.

I second this the problem being the Marseille president Dassier said he won't be allowing Taye to leave.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #104: Jul 19, 2010 06:51:52 pm
      There is rumours though that he wants to come to us and these days to be honest if a player wants to go he goes 9 times out of 10.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #105: Jul 19, 2010 06:55:32 pm
      There is rumours though that he wants to come to us and these days to be honest if a player wants to go he goes 9 times out of 10.
      True that, problem is I wouldn't want us getting charged ridonkulous fees for him cause they would know we have money from Masch sale..
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #106: Jul 19, 2010 06:56:11 pm

I think he can... ;D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #107: Jul 19, 2010 06:59:52 pm
      I saw figures of £8 to £10 million for him, I think he would be worth it.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #108: Jul 19, 2010 07:00:53 pm
      I saw figures of £8 to £10 million for him, I think he would be worth it.

Well that for him would be excellent and a must, but whether woy wants him or not is a question for another day...
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #109: Jul 19, 2010 09:02:35 pm
      Fabio Aurelio is available on a free!!!  :f_tongueincheek:
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      • Edinburgh to Liverpool 260miles 4 90mins worth it
      Reply #110: Jul 19, 2010 09:04:37 pm
      Ive Herd Stuart Fegan is a good shout yound lad 18 from Edinbugh knows Lfc inside out.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #111: Jul 19, 2010 09:05:57 pm
      Ive Herd Stuart Fegan is a good shout yound lad 18 from Edinbugh knows Lfc inside out.
      Just looked him up on Wikipedia.. No sign of him hahaha
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      Reply #112: Jul 19, 2010 09:37:06 pm
      ;D . Passed it ;D .tThey would have to drag me of that pitch if i was to play for pool. I would play for the top not the money. In fact i would PAY to Play.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #113: Jul 19, 2010 10:44:11 pm
       So who will be our left back?

F**k it! I'll do it!!!!! :f_tongueincheek:
      The Famous Kopite
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 789 posts | -22 
      Reply #114: Jul 19, 2010 10:58:17 pm
      I would love it if i got a call from roy.

Quick Reply