Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Strong Defence - But why do I feel like something is missing?!

Read 2391 times
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Strong Defence - But why do I feel like something is missing?!
      Jun 27, 2007 03:40:25 pm
      We have a very strong defence...every season our goals against is one if not the best in the league, so why do I feel like we need to improve it?

Take Finnan - no one could argue he's quality, but I'd change him for Alves.

Carragher and Agger - Wouldn't change 'Spitzer' but has Agger been made first choice too soon?

Riise - Think he's got to be the weak link - is Aurelio up to it?

Or is our good defence down to our midfield...I.e. the holding players?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Re: Strong Defence - But why do I feel like something is missing?!
      Reply #1: Jun 27, 2007 04:31:14 pm
      Rafa is well known for his attention to defensive detail and seems to have a we will stop you scoring first and then worry about ourselves scoring later game plan. If you look at the defensive players minus Reina I would say we have as good a back four as any team in the country my only concern really is with the left back position as although I was starting to warm to Aurellio before he got injured I don’t think Riisse is as competent defensively as when he is on the attack so we may need to buy for now until Insua is ready to challenge for the position whether that will be next season I don’t know.

I disagree that Alves could improve on the vastly underrated Finnan as from what I have seen of him he tends to be a right sided Riisse that is most happy when on the attacking foot and not totally reliable for tracking back purposes, although I disagree on your choice of cover for Finnan I do agree that we need cover for the position.

At centre back JC is irreplaceable and although I agree Agger was chucked in at the deep end I think he has acquitted himself fairly well even after a sharp learning curve due to a few untimely slips and I think he will be a regular in the future. Cover will probably be needed at Centre back also mainly down to the jittery start Paletta has made to his LFC career and the lack of apparent progress from the likes of Jack Hobbs, but for me we need to spend on strengthening other areas of the pitch (as in offensive positions) before worrying too much about the defensive ones for the moment.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Jun 27, 2007 04:55:29 pm
      Our defence last season was a grace in itself, and couldn't be questioned! And if you look now, the same players are there now, and I can see them performing even better next season! Yes, cover may be required but for now, the attacking positions are certainly more in question!

A lack of scoring ability last season cost us the final, plus many matches in the Prem where we could have kept up with the pace from the beginning!
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #3: Jun 27, 2007 05:49:51 pm
      Glenbuck - you seem to be very knowledgable, but answer me this...why is Rafa chasing Milito?  Rumours have it!

Do you honestly think we'll pay 10million for a player as cover for DA and JC? 

Believe me Alves would be an improvement over Finnan...even though I rate Finnan highly...Alves flair is an excitement our team needs
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #4: Jun 27, 2007 08:43:12 pm
      Glenbuck - you seem to be very knowledgable, but answer me this...why is Rafa chasing Milito?  Rumours have it!

Believe me Alves would be an improvement over Finnan...even though I rate Finnan highly...Alves flair is an excitement our team needs

I too would have to disagree that Alves would be an improvement on Finnan. Yes Alves is a great player going forward, but at the end of the day a right back is part of the defence, and the main duty has to be defending.

Steve Finnan is for me one of the most under-rated players in the prem. He does his job so well he doesn't need to make spectacular tackles to rescue the situation, and therefore doesn't often get the plaudits. With Alves we would see some great runs & crosses, but the amount of times the opposing left winger would get a cross in would be much greater.

The key to a good defence is how they work as a unit, not neccesarily how talented the individuals are. Our current crop seem to work very well together, the slightly weak link being Riise, who IMO should be playing in midfield. However he's not such a weak link that he desperately needs replacing & his replacement can wait at least another season whilst we reinforce areas of greater need.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 28, 2007 08:19:33 am
      Our defence should be the issue of least concern caus we are very good.

I have a theory actually, that most great centre back pairings have two diffenent cerntreback's. The first one, which I call the gladiator (carragher), gets stuck in and can be seen making great blocks and crunching tackles. The second, whick I call the rock (agger and previously hyypia), is a sort of quite defender that marks his man so tightly as to cut him out of the game completley and deals with aerial threats. Obviously Im not saying that carragher cant header and agger cant tackle, but this is where their speciality's lye.

This is just a theory I made from observations
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2007 10:12:19 am

We agreed earlier that cover is needed at the back as Agger is by know means the finished article yet, Sammi is in the last year of his contract and the young lads don’t look like they will break through soon, so we will and have been linked with a host of players for that and other positions and I think you said it all when you said “Why is Rafa chasing Milito? Rumours have it!” if we signed every player that we have been rumoured to be signing this summer we would have more players than the Miami Dolphins!
      Just suppose he does want Milito, we have JC who is a world-class defender and Agger who will become just such a player in time but who else is there? We must have a class centre half to cover and use for rotation, someone who could possibly fill in for the ever dependable Carra as well as Agger so they are not needed for every game we also need to plan for possible injuries and tiredness during a long campaign and that can't be done with kids from the reserves if you plan on pushing for the title, two class players for every position seems to be a must these days but how you keep them all happy I don't know.

Alves would be an improvement attack wise but defensively he fades into the distance when compared to Finnan, I have made a point of watching Alves since we were first linked to him the latest game being last nights 2-0 defeat of Brazil by Mexico and I am sorry to disagree with you but I have yet to see what all the fuss is about. Like any Brazilian he looks great going forward little flicks and tricks and if I am honest a decent shot as well, but I have lost count of the times that when he is on the attack he has moved infield or lost the ball in the attacking third only to leave a big space to run into behind for opposing players, and be honest he doesn't actually break his neck trying to get back and defend does he?. I like Rafa's plan of building to attack from a good defensive base and for me Carra and Finnan are underrated world class players but that doesn't mean we can't get world class cover for them if possible.
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2007 03:36:03 pm
      I don't think you lot see it to be honest...! 

Why is our defence so good?  Is it because we have 4 world-class defenders...NO.

It's because of our protective midfielder's helping...stopping the attacks.  I.e. Alonso, Sissoko and Macherano.

In our eyes, Carragher is World Class...but he's not first, second or even third choice for England...and that has nothing to do with ****head Manc-laron.  It was he same under ****head Sven.

Agger - has amazing potential...not sure if he's Prem Winning material just yet.

Finnan - why doesn't he get the plaudits.  Every season we say the same, Mr Consistancy...and I'm fed-up with it.  Either you impress or you don't!

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2007 03:46:54 pm
      I don't think you lot see it to be honest...! 

Why is our defence so good?  Is it because we have 4 world-class defenders...NO.

It's because of our protective midfielder's helping...stopping the attacks.  I.e. Alonso, Sissoko and Macherano.

In our eyes, Carragher is World Class...but he's not first, second or even third choice for England...and that has nothing to do with ****head Manc-laron.  It was he same under ****head Sven.

Agger - has amazing potential...not sure if he's Prem Winning material just yet.

Finnan - why doesn't he get the plaudits.  Every season we say the same, Mr Consistancy...and I'm fed-up with it.  Either you impress or you don't!

What exactly is your argument because as far as i can see i have agreed with most of your points regarding the left side and needing cover for Agger the only thing i disagree with you about is the need for Alves instead of Finnan and i have explained twice why i disagree with you on that point,i do thank you for trying to educate me on the matter but i can assure you that i for one "see it"  ;)
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #9: Jun 28, 2007 04:14:27 pm
      Glenbuck - Mate - As you will see this was my topic...on how I feel something is missing!

Just because you say 'Finnan is better than Alves' that doesn't mean everyone has to stop what they're doing...and then bow to your words of wisdom.

I have no argument...I just stated that it's strange (my opinion) that we have a strong defensive record, but I feel something is missing to win the league.

I have a question for you Glenbuck:

if Rafa signs Alves for £13million - who will he play at RB - Finnan or Alves.  Don't say Finnan will play RB and Alves will play RM.  Simple question, who would get the role of RB - and this isn't Glenbuck winning an argument...it's who (honestly) would Rafa play.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #10: Jun 28, 2007 07:17:44 pm
      Glenbuck - Mate - As you will see this was my topic...on how I feel something is missing!

And in general I agreed with you I just dont think our defence is as bad as you so we will have to have a difference of opinion.

Just because you say 'Finnan is better than Alves' that doesn't mean everyone has to stop what they're doing...and then bow to your words of wisdom.

You cheeky sod !who opened his post before last with the words "I dont think you lot see it to be honest"? I have never enforced my opinion on anyone and I never will if you don't agree with me that is fine because everyone is entitled to there opinion but if anyone is looking desperate for someone to agree with them it is you. Feel free to make any point you like and if I agree I will and if I disagree we will debate the point but by no means do I give a s**t if you don't want to agree with me as it's a forum, so stop the snidey remarks about "words of wisdom" as there is no need for it.

I have no argument...I just stated that it's strange (my opinion) that we have a strong defensive record, but I feel something is missing to win the league.

I agree something is missing to win the league 1.a decent target man 2. more midfield guille especially in the wing areas 3. defensive strengthening. but that is just in my opinion!

if Rafa signs Alves for £13million - who will he play at RB - Finnan or Alves.  Don't say Finnan will play RB and Alves will play RM.  Simple question, who would get the role of RB - and this isn't Glenbuck winning an argument...it's who (honestly) would Rafa play.

I don't think Rafa will sign him but if he did I think he may be used instead of Finnan and also in front of him in the same way Riisse is played further forward, but you must admit paying £13m for just a right back and a right back only is just not going to happen,so in my opinion much as you dont like the answer he would be used anywhere down right.

If you aren't capable of asking a civil question next time because you don't like the answers in my posts then feel free to ignore me because I will be doing the same to you if you carry on with the aggressive tone, mate!
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007 07:45:04 pm by Glenbuck »
      Richobaz
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #11: Jun 28, 2007 08:58:38 pm
      What exactly is your argument because as far as I can see I have agreed with most of your points regarding the left side and needing cover for Agger the only thing I disagree with you about is the need for Alves instead of Finnan and I have explained twice why I disagree with you on that point,I do thank you for trying to educate me on the matter but I can assure you that I for one "see it"  ;)

Glenbuck...put your toys back!  Have you never been down the pub and had a heated footy debate?  It's what it's all about...it's that passion that makes it important.

If you want me to be all nicey nice with you though...then I'll make an exception.

Read your comment above to me.  I may well have been aggressive...but you are being sarcastic "I do thank you for trying to educate me on the matter..."

Couldn't care less if you take it on board or not...as I said it's an opinion and I'm not always right...and your not, mate!
      Sorry Glenbuck...last thing I wanted to do was get into an argument.

Friends!?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: Jun 29, 2007 08:38:05 am
      Of course mate no problem. ;D
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #13: Jun 29, 2007 09:13:58 am
      Awww I was certain I was going to see some blood and matrix moves there! >:D :laugh: :D
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #14: Jun 29, 2007 12:13:59 pm
      Awww I was certain I was going to see some blood and matrix moves there! >:D :laugh: :D

We still might have if you don't shut it!!

And Venom i am joking mate ;D

Quick Reply