Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Piet Hamberg the club's new academy technical manager.

Read 1203 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Piet Hamberg the club's new academy technical manager.
      Jun 27, 2007 04:48:19 pm
      Liverpool have named Piet Hamberg as the club's new academy technical manager.

The former Ajax star replaces Steve Heighway as academy manager after he left following Liverpool's FA Youth Cup success at the end of last season.

Hamberg has a wealth of coaching experience and he joins Liverpool after leaving Grasshoppers' youth set-up.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry confirmed the appointment and Hamberg will work alongside John Owens (academy manager) and Malcolm Elias (recruitment) in a new look set-up.

"Following the departure of Steve we took the opportunity to review the academy structure and decided to separate the very distinct roles," said Parry.

"Piet will come in with the specific brief to head up the coaching and development side, while Malcolm will be in charge of all recruitment."

Reds boss Rafa Benitez backed the appointment of Hamberg as he looks for the club to develop their own young talent.

"We have had some very good reports about Piet and he will bring great experience to the new role," Benitez told the club's official website.

"Our youngsters can only benefit from working with someone with his background in youth development."

Link :  http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=474037&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=&title=Hamberg+handed+Reds+role

Very interesting to hear he is called the 'club's new academy technical manager'.
      Steve Heighway was the 'academy manager', so it makes me wonder just how much Rafa is going to have in the development of the kid's.
      I know he wasn't too happy with the talent Stevie was producing, so I think he'll now have a big input into how the kid's are developed.
      Let's hope this appointment is the right one, and sooner, rather than later, we have the rising talent knocking on the first team's door.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Piet Hamberg the club's new academy technical manager.
      Reply #1: Jun 27, 2007 04:51:56 pm
      You often hear of Youth players who have came through Grasshopper's ranks so hopefully, if he was behind those players and their rise into the big time, we will be getting some little crackers coming through!

(Don't ask me to name any of those Grasshopper players by the way, I only speak English, Spanish and Scouse!  ;))
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Re: Piet Hamberg the club's new academy technical manager.
      Reply #2: Jun 27, 2007 06:09:11 pm
      its been a good few years since we had a star come through from the youth team so hopefully, piet hamberg can help sort that out, we seem to buy enough "promising" youngsters

Quick Reply