Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Goal Poacher or More from Midfield???

Read 1861 times
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Goal Poacher or More from Midfield???
      Jun 28, 2007 09:52:20 am
      There alot of talk on here about we need a goal poacher to have a realistic chance of winning the league but is this actually the case??

Liverpool League stats 06/07

Strikers:

Kuyt 12
      Crouch 9
      Bellamy 7
      Fowler 3

Midfielders:

Gerrard 7
      Alonso 4
      Luis Garcia 3 (out for 6 months tho)
      Gonzalez 2
      Kewell 1 (played very few games)
      Pennant 1
      Riise 1 Played hald the season in midfield/hald at left back

Champions 06/07

Strikers:

Rooney 14
      Saha 8
      Solskjaer 7
      Larsson 1

Midfielders:

Ronaldo 17
      Scholes 6
      Park 5
      Giggs 4
      Carrick 3
      Fletcher 3
      Eagles 1

Looking at those stats the strikers scored a similer amount of goals but its the midfield which we are lacking in, Ronaldo scored 17 which could be a one off but even so he'll chip in with a fair few goals, but thats still almost loads more than what we scored.

Now the poacher issue, we had Owen and we never won the league so what makes you think if we signed him/a player like him we will? all what would happen is he may score a few but he'll be takin from one of the other strikers so it doesnt benifit us!!

Get more goals from the midfield and we'll be alot closer to winning the league than we are now!!

my opinions but any other thoughts??

(i'm a Torres fan and want us to sign him as I think he'll score 10+ and create a fair amount as well similier to what Rooney does for utd)

These stats are EPL only

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007 04:08:01 pm by priesty10 »
      Rhys.a.red.
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      • Everywhere leads to somewhere
      Re: Goal Poacher or More from Midfield???
      Reply #1: Jun 28, 2007 10:03:14 am
      Im a torres fan too. like the look of him... IMO when owen was playing for us to be fair the service he got then could not compare with what he would get now. with jp on the right sg through the centre owen would deff get alot more goals...I think if we had a poacher it would take the pressure off of the midfiled which in turn would free them up to relax and score more goals instead of defending the 1 goal lead etc. So in my opinon if we got a poacher we would benefit all round..
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #2: Jun 28, 2007 11:45:37 am
      We need a bit of both hopefully with Gerrard getting a rest he will be back to his best next season and torres will get goals no doubt about it.
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 28, 2007 12:18:34 pm
      Defo need a goal poacher, we've missed one ever since owen left
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #4: Jun 28, 2007 04:01:40 pm
      We need a bit of both hopefully with Gerrard getting a rest he will be back to his best next season and torres will get goals no doubt about it.

My sentiments exactly! I do think we need a goal machine up front but I was disappointed with the goal contribution from midfield. Particularly from Alonso, he's never seemed to score very many goals and for the life of me i don't know why. He has a great shot and can put a ball any where he wants! If a midfielder like Alonso plays 50 games in all competitions a season I think he should be scoring 10 goals!
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #5: Jun 28, 2007 05:00:42 pm
      I've made this point in a previous post.

Why has our midfield dried up (goals)?  It's simple:  Gerrard has moved out to the right, and we play two holding midfielders (Alonso, Mascherano or Sissoko) - who's job is to defend and break-up attacks rather than attacking.

The above won't change - those are the players we have.

So in answer to your question...we are desperate for a 20goal stricker.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2007 09:08:08 pm
      I've made this point in a previous post.

Why has our midfield dried up (goals)?  It's simple:  Gerrard has moved out to the right, and we play two holding midfielders (Alonso, Mascherano or Sissoko) - who's job is to defend and break-up attacks rather than attacking.

The above won't change - those are the players we have.

So in answer to your question...we are desperate for a 20goal stricker.

Gerrard was on the right for most of the 05/06 season, and scored 23 goals along with Garcia chipping in with 11. The simple fact is, whether our midfield has been scoring or not, we have created enugh chances to win a lot of games we've lost over the last two seasons. A goal poacher would have made the difference. If we were only allowed to sign one player this summer, for me it would be a poacher.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2007 09:23:16 pm
      Gerrard was on the right for most of the 05/06 season, and scored 23 goals along with Garcia chipping in with 11. The simple fact is, whether our midfield has been scoring or not, we have created enugh chances to win a lot of games we've lost over the last two seasons. A goal poacher would have made the difference. If we were only allowed to sign one player this summer, for me it would be a poacher.

EddieC - can't believe you argued the Gerrard on the right!  He may well have scored 23 goals - how many in the league?  Do you expect him to do that every season playing RM?

The fact that we have Sissoko, Alonso and Mascherano as the core of our midfield...is a big factor.

Take a look a Chelski - Lamplard, Ballack - in the centre, both can score 10 plus goals in a season.  They only play one holding player at a time...either Mikel or Makalleie(Can't spell it)

Whereas we play 2!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2007 09:46:43 pm
      EddieC - can't believe you argued the Gerrard on the right!  He may well have scored 23 goals - how many in the league?  Do you expect him to do that every season playing RM?

The fact that we have Sissoko, Alonso and Mascherano as the core of our midfield...is a big factor.

Take a look a Chelski - Lamplard, Ballack - in the centre, both can score 10 plus goals in a season.  They only play one holding player at a time...either Mikel or Makalleie(Can't spell it)

Whereas we play 2!

When did I argue for Gerrard on the right? I simply stated that the season before he played on the right & scored those goals, and yes, a lot of them were in the league.

I don't see how you can argue Ballack is capable of scoring 10 goals, he hasn't done it in the prem yet has he? And as for Lampard, if any of our players, including Reina, took as many shots as him they could score 10 goals.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #9: Jun 29, 2007 09:54:06 am
      EddieC - we will agree on something someday (you know what I mean!).

Ballack - I judged that on what he's done all his career.  Ok he's not proven it in the Prem...but he is 'World Class' and has the potential to do it.

Wheres - you just know with Alonso, Sissoko and Masch - you'd be very lucky to get 10 between them.  But they bring another quality...which is great!

We agreed on a 'goal poacher' is required
      evadbur
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 29, 2007 11:24:10 am
      And as for Lampard, if any of our players, including Reina, took as many shots as him they could score 10 goals.

And how many of those did he actually score? Most of them were deflections.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #11: Jun 29, 2007 03:06:14 pm
      And as for Lampard, if any of our players, including Reina, took as many shots as him they could score 10 goals.

yes i agree i think he always shoots hoping in a deflection , 

Quick Reply