Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Luke Young (Aston Villa)

Read 11216 times
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Re: Luke Young (Aston Villa)
      Reply #69: Jul 28, 2010 10:58:58 am
      My dad said Young was singing from Villa, I got excited and then realised it's not the Ashley one :\
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #70: Jul 28, 2010 11:01:59 am
      Not a signing I'd get excited about but he was a solid player until getting injured and then the terrible news about his brother. Moving clubs could be the fresh start he needs and as long as we don't get ripped off, I'd be happy enough about it.
      dodgy
      • Forum Ian St John

• 426 posts | 14 
      Reply #71: Jul 28, 2010 11:02:09 am
      My dad said Young was singing from Villa, I got excited and then realised it's not the Ashley one :\

What tune  ;)
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #72: Jul 28, 2010 11:04:58 am
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #73: Jul 28, 2010 11:08:36 am
      Unnecessary purchase and in contrast to what some others have said, a couple of Villa ST holders I know are pissing themselves over this.  The regard him as a average Premiership defender, but nothing but a benchwarmer for a team with top 6/7 aspirations  & we don't need a RB or a player that can, if necessary, do an alright covering job at LB or CB.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #74: Jul 28, 2010 11:17:37 am
      I'd prefer him on a free...I'm sure Insua is worth more than he is.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #75: Jul 28, 2010 11:25:26 am
      The more i think about it the less i'm happy (and i wasn't too happy to start off with).

If i was a Fulham fan, if Roy hadn't left to go to Liverpool and if Al Fayed hadn't come into money then this is exactly the type of signing i'd be expecting and i'd be happy with.

I'll leave it there and give this thread a rest 'til i get my head 'round things.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #76: Jul 28, 2010 11:57:00 am
      Noooooooo
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Reply #77: Jul 28, 2010 12:12:13 pm
      As a backup he's decent. I'm pretty certain Figuroa will come to! But he's english, versatile and knows the league.

But he's sh*t and 31, no F***ing thanks.

I'd rather have that Figueroa myself!!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,218 posts | 1646 
      Reply #78: Jul 28, 2010 12:47:15 pm
      Christ. Luke F***ing Young? A man who can't get into the Villa side, a side that last season finished above us.

I don't even want this guy as a back up, would rather give a youngster a go. Complete waste of an already limited budget, and sums up where this club is headed at the moment.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #79: Jul 28, 2010 01:42:02 pm
      F**k off. What a sh*te move this would be.

As first choice? He's not good enough and I'd rather have Insua or Figueroa.

As back up? No F***ing thanks. He will only slow down the progression of youngsters like Kelly, Darby and Robinson.

The home grown thing is nonsense too since Insua's home grown. Why not keep the younger, better full back?
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #80: Jul 28, 2010 01:46:04 pm
      Rather Drenthe :-\
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #81: Jul 28, 2010 02:02:41 pm
      He played out of position left back for Villa after Bouma got injured. Last season he was hampered by injuries and was on a leave due to his brothers death. In the meantime Warnock emerged at left back and Cuellar impressed at right back. So his inability to get into the Villa side might have a bit more too it than that he is simply sh*te. The lad has been unlucky lately.

As for us buying him? Cant really make my mind up. As a right back? No, we dont need him. Johnson number one with Darby as an obvious number two. As a left back? Kind of seems stupid to buy a natural right back for the left back position. You would imagine we could find an equally talented player who is a natural left back. The thing about giving youth a chance is that you need a plan B if it doesnt work out. No matter how good they look in the reserves, there is no guarantee they will perform in the EPL. If Aurelio hadnt been so injury prone it would have been an ideal situation last year, but we all saw what happened when Insua had to play week in-week out through bad form and bad confidence. So even if Insua stays or one of the other youngsters is given the chance on the left, we will need an experienced back up left back who can step in.

But then I would rather buy someone who is actually a left back and not a natural right back.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #82: Jul 28, 2010 02:08:57 pm
      Liverpool agree £2.5m fee for defender Young
      Liverpool have agreed a fee of £2.5 million with Aston Villa for defender Luke Young. The former England international is mulling over the move ahead of Villa's pre-season trip to Portugal.

Young, who has been deployed as a left-back for Villa, would seemingly fulfill a similar role at Anfield as Glen Johnson is currently first-choice on the other side of defence with academy graduates Martin Kelly and Stephen Darby able to provide adequate back-up.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill told the club's official site: ''There has been an offer from a football club which Luke is mulling over and, if it doesn't materialise, then he would join us (in Portugal for the Guadiana Cup) because he needs to play some football soon. We will see how that develops.''

New Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson revealed at the unveiling of Danny Wilson and fellow summer signings Milan Jovanovic and Joe Cole on Tuesday that he hopes to secure the services of more new players before the summer transfer window closes.

"We're still interested in some other players so I hope that this won't be the last of our signings,'' he said. "The aim of the board, chief executive Christian Purslow and everyone at the club is to try to make this squad as competitive as possible.

"If we can sign several more players to make the squad stronger then that will also help but we need to make the point that it's a new start and a new dawn for the club. But you don't put to right the things that have gone wrong overnight and it's our job to work at it."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=810520&sec=transfers&cc=5901
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #83: Jul 28, 2010 02:12:09 pm
      Why not go for Warnock and let Villa use Young as there left back!  :f_tongueincheek:
      queuepolitely
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 575 posts | 27 
      Reply #84: Jul 28, 2010 02:14:48 pm
      So thats a 28yr old, 29 yr old and a 31 yr old. No ta.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #85: Jul 28, 2010 02:15:54 pm
      Why not just resign Aurelio
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #86: Jul 28, 2010 02:16:11 pm
      Oh god no. If we're going to be playing a right back at left back, we may as well promote Darby.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #87: Jul 28, 2010 02:19:37 pm

Oh god no. If we're going to be playing a right back at left back, we may as well promote Darby.

Both valid arguments
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #88: Jul 28, 2010 02:20:44 pm
      Just as i thought we were going to start going after big names after the Cole signing, oh well, guess this is what we have been reduced to; going after the like of Luke Young.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #89: Jul 28, 2010 02:25:48 pm
      Just as I thought we were going to start going after big names after the Cole signing, oh well, guess this is what we have been reduced to; going after the like of Luke Young.

Don't forget Beattie and Scharner!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #90: Jul 28, 2010 03:23:53 pm
      F**k our sh*te owners. This is the type of player we can only afford.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,875 posts | 165 
      Reply #91: Jul 28, 2010 04:05:56 pm
      The fact that Young has to mull over the offer, means he ain't right for us. Stay in villa's reserves where you belong.

Quick Reply