Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Black Flag Campaign

Read 6235 times
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 851 posts | 38 
      The Black Flag Campaign
      Jul 30, 2010 12:56:29 pm
      This is being reported on the other forum,

Might be a good idea if enough people do it.  Every little helps.

Think of the Spion Kop and in your mind's eye you will see an iconic image - a sea of red and white. In full swing, it's arguably the most moving sight in world football. Its spectacle and pageantry makes it possibly the most photographed bank of supporters there ever has been or ever will be. And it's definitely the one most written about.

OUR image is beamed around the world on a match day; the club uses it on the cover of countless books, DVDs and other merchandise, and sadly these days it swells the coffers of those who have taken it all for granted since the day they arrived.

The Kop is well known for getting its message across. Where once that meant irresistable messages of devotion and support for the team, in recent years the banners and flags adorning The Kop have changed. For obvious reasons, we've seen an increase in messages of our protest against Hicks and Gillett.

But that's been tricky. Last season in particular there were obvious and premeditated moves to have those banners removed from view, with the club only allowing them to be flown by small groups when the ground was empty - not for mass media consumption and certainly not for the glaring eye of the SKY cameras.

So what do we do? The Kop is the last bastion of what we all hold dear - the one place that can still reflect the true nature of our support. We all know that it isn't what it was in years gone by, but when it has been needed; when all seemed lost, it stood up, bared it's teeth and showed what we are all about. What we can do when all around we are being told it isn't possible.

So isn't it about time we made a stand and showed the club and the world that We Are The Club?

That however much they think our protests can be 'managed', however much they believe we can be sanitised and edited for the benefit of television and harnessed to boost merchandise sales, that The Kop is still ours and will be until they knock it, or us, down.

Of course, one of those will happen soon - but they'll never see the other. Will they?

Out of the Red, into the Black
      As a show of strength, of passion for our club, and of protest at the way it's been dragged into perilous debt as well as through the mud for the last three years, imagine if we turned The Kop as a sea of Black.

It doesn't mean we're foresaking our traditional red for good. It's a statement.

The club stewards can't prevent it. The TV cameras won't be able to ignore it. And you won't see it on the front cover of any club DVD or merchandise any day soon (if you do, then it'll only help highlight our anger). The image will be seen around the world on a match day, including the homes of our esteemed owners (assuming they even keep tabs on these things), and it'll draw attention to the reasons it's been done.

It'll remind everyone that this last bastion is still ours and they will never take it or our voice away. We understand that there are traditional banners on The Kop that should always be seen, and we would never want to take that tradition away.

It's not difficult to achieve. All you need is a black t-shirt. We've already made a start with the Black protest shirt and if we add Black flags and banners, it'll only add to the impact. It doesn't copy anything done elsewhere. Fly those Black flags without club merchandise, and the effect will, like The Spion Kop itself, be 100% unique.

'This isn't meant to divide our support.We understand that some may not wish to take part and that's fine. We hope that number is few. It is meant to show that we are not pawns. That We Are The Club.
      To galvanise our passion and show contempt for the ownership and the way our club is being run. It is a safe and effective way to do this while continuing to back the manager and our team.'

'We aim to start this for our first game against Arsenal and build on it as soon as possible. So if you are making a flag, whatever message you were putting on it then keep it. If you want to go the whole way, then keep it simple.Just Black with our Liverbird. Support the team and support the message.' 

We declared our Independance from the ownership on 4th July. Their view of the club isn't remotely like ours. This tells them that we won't be another contributor to their money making schemes unless we choose to, for the benefit of our club.

Not only that - Black is the colour of mourning for a club that slowly started dying when Hicks and Gillett bought it in 2007.

Support your team loud and with pride but fly that Black Flag and show we can't be bought, sold, manipulated or taken for granted. This is OUR CLUB, OUR KOP and OUR COLOURS.

From 14th August against Arsenal (a televised game) until we get our club back, we as supporters can send a clear message to those who would have us sit quietly and accepting on a match day when it suits.

To pay our money, give the cameras and the people at home something nice to look at and help to sell a few more bits of club merchandise.

Once done to slip away nice and quietly without any fuss.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: The Black Flag Campaign
      Reply #1: Jul 30, 2010 01:50:13 pm
      No offense but they come out with great ideas but are we not boycotting the home games? I rather be waving the red flag's and scarves outside the ground in protest as to pay money into the yanks pockets just to wave a black flag inside the ground.

Makes no sense.

Or are some looking for an escuse to attend home games.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #2: Jul 30, 2010 02:51:06 pm
      I think it would be a good idea for those who still plan to go to home games, but for me a black flag/banner outside the kop when people walk in will send a smaller, but more visible message, especially to the day trippers/part timers.

If you do decide to go to the games, then the black protest will be hypocritical in a way because you are on about not giving money to the yank c*nts, yet you already have by being inside the ground.

I dont mean to p*ss anyone off, but thats how i see things at the moment.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #3: Jul 30, 2010 05:17:50 pm
      Its a shame really we all seem to come up with great ideas to protest and boycott, but it would be very much more effective if we as a collective made up our mind over one thing and committed to it 100%.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Jul 30, 2010 05:21:40 pm
      As I've said before, the owners don't care about sheets with/without paint on.  The care about the money.  As long as we keep on giving them a return on their investment, they don't care.  They are making more than enough from the interest they are charging us for the 'loan' that Kop Holdings (Cayman) gave us.  

They are all about profit, biggest return for the smallest investment and I truly believe the sale is a smokescreen and can't see them leaving any time at all in the near future, unless an implausibly large offer comes in.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #5: Jul 30, 2010 05:23:46 pm
      Its a shame really we all seem to come up with great ideas to protest and boycott, but it would be very much more effective if we as a collective made up our mind over one thing and committed to it 100%.

Nail on the head, exactly, couldnt agree more!

The ideas and initiatives are not only fragmentet, but at times working against each other. Some will be eager to get a ticket to be able to join the protests inside anfield while others are eagerly trying to stay away from Anfield.

I have no idea how the different protests could be unified, but the clock is ticking closer and closer to the first Anfield game and Im afraid the protest will end up nullifying each other.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #6: Jul 30, 2010 05:24:36 pm
      Good idea mate, but there's only one way to stop these f*ckers ruining the club and this if EVERYONE STOPS BUYING TICKETS AND OFFICIAL MERCHANDISE!
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,584 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #7: Jul 30, 2010 05:50:20 pm

Exactly!

And great post NavyNick!

A few people on here are coming up with ideas- and just getting shot down-
       maybe its best to start this discussion again after the first few games when it has been seen that a boycott hasnt worked.

Then we will all be on the same page- and throw about some ideas that we could put into action, as i am guessing most people on here are regulars at Anfield, or live close by.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: Jul 30, 2010 08:01:33 pm
      While it's my personal view that only a full boycot will work, i am aware that some people will still attend home games. So for those that still plan to go, they may as well protest while they are there, so a sea of black would look good on TV and get a little publicity.

That said, i would still prefer to see a sea of red seats!!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Jul 30, 2010 08:24:16 pm
      I think its a great idea, its becoming very clear that the boycott of the Arsenal match is unlikely to be successful which TBH is very difficult to implement, there is just no way everyone is going to boycott so for those who are going they can show their support by taking part in the black flag campaign.

I know people are going to say 'whats the point' well the point is those season ticket and others have saved or worked hard for their money and are entitled to spend/use it how they like,  unfortunately the days of solidarity and all out protests are a thing of the past, so we have to take the best out of a bad sitution and to protest in any way we can, some wil boycott merchandise, some will boycott the games both ideas are very commendable, but for sheer effect having a whole bank of supporters enmasse wearing the same colours with banners is more likely to be noticed especially if the whole of Anfield was in black.

We can still all do the usual protests outside aswell and anything else to get the message across, Its a great idea  Navynick and i'm looking forward to seeing it on my tv screen, C'mon everyone get behind it and wear black on every match day.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 30, 2010 08:26:27 pm
      It'll get media attention for sure, but would the owners really care if people wore black instead of red, I doubt it.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #11: Jul 30, 2010 08:39:20 pm
      The Yanks don't care about anything other than £££ and never will. If people don't understand BY NOW the trouble the club is in they never will.
      GlasgowReds
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #12: Aug 07, 2010 02:10:13 am
      If this idea could be utilised on as near as 100% of the Kop as possible I suppose it would at least go lengths to increase awareness over the media, assuming Sky Sports get a few interviews outside.

As passionate as the Full Boycott idea sounds its clear that it would never work to the levels we would like.

One of our members recently had the idea of a peaceful pitch invasion PRIOR to kick off. As much as flags would be spotted by some, a delayed kick off demands answers throughout the governing bodies of the sport and also, as I am led to believe, constitutes a financial reprimand to the club.

Surely that would serve a purpose? Would it have any more impact on the players than an empty stadium?

Who knows, we can only hope the powers that be from the SOS and others can continue to come up with the plans to get the message accross once and for all....

YANKS OUT
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #13: Aug 07, 2010 02:56:10 am
      If this idea could be utilised on as near as 100% of the Kop as possible I suppose it would at least go lengths to increase awareness over the media, assuming Sky Sports get a few interviews outside.

As passionate as the Full Boycott idea sounds its clear that it would never work to the levels we would like.

One of our members recently had the idea of a peaceful pitch invasion PRIOR to kick off. As much as flags would be spotted by some, a delayed kick off demands answers throughout the governing bodies of the sport and also, as I am led to believe, constitutes a financial reprimand to the club.

Surely that would serve a purpose? Would it have any more impact on the players than an empty stadium?

Who knows, we can only hope the powers that be from the SOS and others can continue to come up with the plans to get the message accross once and for all....

YANKS OUT

Thing about about the peaceful pitch invasion is the cu*ts in the media will paint it the way they like, there won't be a focus on our cause just moral outrage in our means of showing it. Sky have done their best to ignore the real anger towards the owners and especially the reasons for the anger, passing comment to 'financial problems' is all we get. A pitch invasion of any sort would more than likely having them all 'tut tutting' in their little studio of lies.

Plus it'd give the police, and to a degree the stewards, to overreact to any forms of subsequent protests.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #14: Aug 07, 2010 03:42:46 am
      If we could just concentrate all efforts on one thing, that would speak far louder than lots of people concentrating on lots of different things.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #15: Aug 07, 2010 06:51:42 am
      As has been said, there are a lot of good ideas, but they're all ineffective if they are contradicted by other protests. I think the only way to truly send the message would be full game boycotts, though i don't ever see that being a reality as there are some people who are unaware of the dire straits our club is in and would go to the game just for the tourist experience and the like.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Aug 07, 2010 04:00:08 pm
      It's a nice idea. The only flaw being it will cost money to step inside the grounds and achieve it.
      I still think a divide is needed in the protests. Support ousting the owners outside but if you do go to a game get behind the players and the manager and keep focused on winning games. Hopefully now we are approaching the end game of the leeches in charge and can soon focus solely on football matters
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #17: Aug 08, 2010 12:40:22 am
      It's a nice idea and would have a big visual effect, but alas the only thing the yanks understand is the purse and this is were we have to hit them

Quick Reply