Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Didi Hamman says Citeh won't get top 4 or title

Read 2115 times
      RyanBabs
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Didi Hamman says Citeh won't get top 4 or title
      Jul 30, 2010 02:12:41 pm
      Didi Hamann has launched a blistering attack on his old club Manchester City – insisting they have no chance of winning the title.

The former Eastlands midfielder even believes that despite massive sums being spent on new players by boss Roberto Mancini, the club’s fans and ­billionaire Arab owners could yet again miss out on the top four.

Hamann blasted: “They should have finished in the top four last season and they didn’t.

“There is every chance they will not finish there again because Liverpool will be better next season and Tottenham, Arsenal and Everton will also be up there.

“I don’t see City as title contenders. They need to bring some continuity to the club and stick with the players they have got.

“They have got to choose them carefully and buy the right ones. But if they keep doing what they are at the moment I don’t see them challenging Manchester United or Chelsea.

“They have a turnover of 10 to 15 players every season and if they keep doing this they are not going anywhere.

“You need consistency and continuity at a football club. I don’t agree with what they are doing now.

“City have got bundles to spend and they need to spend wisely. I am not sure if they are doing that. If you don’t do things right off the field it is hard to get them right on it. That transpires to the whole set-up including the backroom staff and doctors.

“The City fans will want to see new arrivals – but big names don’t win you games or win you titles.”

Hamann, 36, spent three years at Eastlands, but insists he has been left stunned by the constant changes at the club as they bid to reel in the big four.

City have already brought in Yaya Toure, Jerome Boateng, David Silva and Aleksander Kolarov – and are expected to ­finalise a deal for Inter Milan striker Mario Balotelli which will take their summer spending spree to more than £100million.

That comes just one year, after City snapped up Joleon Lescott for £22m, Kolo Toure (£16m), Emmanuel Adebayor (£25m), Gareth Barry (£12m) and Roque Santa Cruz (£17.5m).

And Hamann remains stunned by City’s decision to let former captain Richard Dunne leave the club a year ago.

Dunne was forced out by the arrivals of Toure and Lescott but went on to impress at Aston Villa.

The former Germany midfielder, now a player-coach at MK Dons, added: “If you look at the first XI on paper, the longest-serving player has only been there for two years. They missed a massive trick when Richard Dunne left.

“They have paid a lot of money for all the others and let him go. But I still think he is better than all the central defenders they have got at the club.”

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-old-boy-Didi-Hamann-blasts-big-spending-policy-and-claims-they-have-no-chance-of-winning-the-title-article541377.html#ixzz0vAQdnAVm

Quick Reply