Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

David James to Bristol City

Read 2350 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      David James to Bristol City
      Jul 30, 2010 05:51:17 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/8866521.stm

Bristol City capture England keeper David James  

Bristol City have signed England goalkeeper David James following his release from Portsmouth.

James, who turns 40 next week and lives in Exeter, has signed a one-year deal at Ashton Gate, but has the option of staying with the club for another year.

"I've had offers to stay in the Premier League but it is more important that I play football for the right club and be a family man," said James.

He will be introduced to City fans at Saturday's friendly with Blackpool.

The former Liverpool man, who has played 53 times for his country, left Portsmouth on a free transfer this summer and had been linked with Fulham and Sunderland.

James, who played in three of England's matches in this summer's World Cup, pulled out of transfer talks with Scottish Premier League side Celtic on Monday.

He added: "I had a long conversation with the chairman, Steve Lansdown, yesterday and I liked what he said about the club and his ambition.

"I know all about the plans for a new stadium and desire to win promotion to the Premier League.

"The club is ambitious and that's what I am. The south west has not had a club in the Premier League and that needs to change."

Lansdown added: "My ambition is for this football club to play at the highest level - the Premier League - and in the best surroundings, hence the work on the training ground and new stadium.

"We need good quality players to make that happen and that's why I'm thrilled that David has agreed to come on board."

Having started his career at Watford, he went on to make 216 league appearances for Liverpool in a seven-year stint at the club.

In 1999, James moved to Aston Villa before spells at West Ham, Manchester City and Portsmouth.

He arrived at Fratton Park in 2006 but was let go at the end of last season after 158 appearances and an FA Cup winners' medal in 2008, following their relegation to the Championship.

Comes as a big suprise this move, as he still has enough quality for another season in the prem.
      Thought we should have made a sneaky move for him as a back up keeper, as he has the experience, he is English, he is on a free, and also he could have been offered a coaching role at the end of his contract.

Either way, looks as though his England career is over now.

Quick Reply