Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool 2-0 Rabotnicki Skopje: In-game & post-game droolage

Read 26350 times
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Rabotnicki Skopje: In-game & post-game droolage
      Reply #184: Aug 05, 2010 11:59:17 pm
      Enjoyed it tonight, thought they played some really good stuff.
      Jovanovic and Cole really impressed and Gerrard was firing passes all over the pitch.

Probably one of the biggest highlights of the night though was watching some chubby bloke make a heroic jump for the pitch, only managing to get one foot on the green before being dragged off by 5 stewards.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #185: Aug 06, 2010 12:14:51 am
      Well in Redmen, Roy's second competitive match and his second competitive win.  I'm not going to get carried away by any stretch of the imagination, but we can only beat what's put before us. Thought we played some lovely football and went about our business with great aplomb. We actually looked like a team that wanted to attack.

Not much to post on really. Enjoyed Roy's pre match interview, "I'll only talk about something when there's something worth talking about". Brilliant, exactly what I want to hear. Thought Jovanovic played really well, and he's one lumper of a man, I can't see many players bumping him off the ball this season!. He interlinked really well and showed a lot of industrious qualities, something that Roy will require from all the players this season.

Martin Kelly was immense, was really impressed with the lad, got forward well and was constantly probing the flank, but not at the expense of his defensive responsibilities. This lad may just be a regular for us this season, very impressed. NGog took his goal really well but how many chances does he need to convert?, should have scored a hattrick at least.

Joe Cole?, what a f**king performance. Of all the signings and committals that are made this summer I feel that Joe is going to be the catalyst for one hell of an explosion. His crossing was excellent, his vision was Alonso-esque at times and you could see that Gerrard was thriving off him. Was like they'd been playing together for years. It's players like Cole that we need, players who Gerrard and Torres can improve with, compliment each other, players who can take some of the burden off their shoulders.

Like I said, I'm not going to get carried away but I believe this season is going to be massive for us. The way we pressed when we didn't have the ball, the way we switched our attacks, the balance was there.

The thought of Gerrard, Cole and Torres through the middle is absolutely frightening!

Anyway, well done lads and bring on the Gooners!

By the way, the reason Joe said he'd run out of petrol is so obvious, he's a f**king machine, an 8 litre V12 200000 horsepower finely tuned race engine!

I'
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #186: Aug 06, 2010 12:36:02 am
      Great result and impressive performance from the team and manager. hope we get adecent draw tomorrow the 15th of August cant come quick enough, roy's reds walk on
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #187: Aug 06, 2010 12:37:46 am
      Still loving Kelly's defending towards the end where he ended up getting hurt, real commitment and determination from the lad yet again!
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #188: Aug 06, 2010 12:51:27 am
      Thought Lucas had a damn good game as well - went about his work quietly and effectively and played some really nice passes.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #189: Aug 06, 2010 01:26:56 am
      Having just got home & managing to avoid hearing the final score, I'm about to settle down and watch the game.  Got a beer or two &  thought I'd record my thoughts as I watched a game most have witnesses.  Never really wrote a match report before and I apologize beforehand for waffling on.

Starting line up is ambitious, though I'm wondering how Jovanovic & Pacheco will play, I'm suspecting they'll play like inside forwards, pulling wide when the balls in the middle, cutting inside when it's on the opposite flank.  An added bonus is that Cole can switch around with them at will (hopefully) and create a lot of space for Gerrard, Johnson & possibly even Lucas to maraud into. Unsure if we'll see Kelly bombing forward, but will be interesting to see how he copes at left back.

Well 9 minutes in, but my question about Kelly was answered fairly quickly and he has been up supporting Jovanovic and he looks more than comfortable at left back, though not a long term solution for me.  Skrtel early on tried a couple of through balls that didn't come off, since then thankfully, he has kept it simple. Johnson  has lost sight of the ball a few times whilst in defensive mode, but bringing the ball forward he has been a joy to watch, I've heard of tricky right wingers, but is Glen the only tricky right back in the world?   Ngog looks like he has bulked up a little, though maybe that is just the widescreen, and hasn't just bounced off defenders.  Apart from that, typical pre-season-ish affair, both sides being caught in possession fairly often, but not a bad game.

18 gone and we starting to control the game.  Been some wonderful & inventive attacking passing, even if the majority of it hasn't come off as envisaged.  Ngog spurned a glorious chance, to me it looked like he couldn't make his mind up between chipping or going around the keeper, needs to bemore ruthless.  Commentators are chatting some ill-informed, read it in a paper, tabloid sh*te.  I don't mind the slagging off if the facts are right, but they spout fallacies as truths.  Liking the look of Jovanovic so far, dogged and a deft touch at times.  A bit disappointed with the fans, most the players have lost possession poorly at times tonight, but a noticeable groan when Lucas loses possession for the first time - that's poor lads, very poor.

27 gone, completely in charge now.  Ngog's leap for the goal was excellent and a great cross from Cole.  Cole, Pacheco & Jovanovic are really starting to interchange well & Gerrard & Lucas's movements behind are giving far more options than we had last season. On a more comical note, any one see the player try & Rabotnicki palyer try and 'hug' Jovanovic and Jovanovic pushed him off and made a cheeky grab for his balls.  Nice to see Carragher get his first crunching tackle in to.

36 gone, probably the drabbest part of the game so far.  Been some nice one touch stuff involving Gerrad, Cole, Pacheco, Lucas & Jovanovic and a couple of good blocks by Carragher, but that's about it.

Half-time, well deserved penalty, nice take down by Ngog, who was then not so nicely taken down by the opposition.  calmly slotted away by Gerrard.  Ngog again shows why he needs a ruthless streak, should have taken that chance himself.  

54 minutes gone, never a shot but Cole hits the woodwork anyway.  Jovanovic made a lovely jinking run and gets away a good shot - he seems to bulldozer through challenges.  Skretl has been dominant in the air thus far.  Beautiful through ball by Lucas for Cole to get a testing shot away.

63 gone, Cole & Pacheco are linking up well, but with no end product.  Aquilani on for Gerrard.  Ngog gets up well for a header and our pressing game, when without the ball is impressive.  Dullest 9 minutes so far.

72 gone,  Kelly has done his chances no harm tonight and deserved something from his cross/shot.  Maxi on for an impressive Jovanovic, Cole has another shot well saved & Lucas has bubbled along nicely tonight.  Ngog gets up well again, but no direction to his header.  Superb break down the right involving Maxi, Aquilani, Cole & Johnson, but it comes to nowt.

81 minutes gone  Lucas off, Spearing on. Aquilani goes in hard and lives to tell the tale, wonders will never cease :P .Lots of nice build upp play with little end product,  Brilliant sliding block to prevent Maxi from scoring.

Full-time It seems the fates are conspiring to prevent Cole from scoring and a last minute defensive clearance sees Kelly further improve his chances for a 1st team call up.  All in all, a good performance, if still a little pre-season-ish.

Cavalieri - 6, had nothing to do.
      Johnson - 5, good going forward but I'm deducting two points for that ponytail.
      Kelly - 8 Ready for the first team now.
      Carragher - 6, had nothing to do.
      Skrtel - 7, won every aerial ball.
      Lucas - 7, saw a glimpse of something tonight.
      Gerrard - 7, good movement.
      Jovanovic - 7, impressed me tonight, useful looking player.
      Cole - 8 MoM for me
      Pacheco - 6, you can see the potential, but didn't do much.
      Ngog - 6, hot and cold, needs to be more ruthless.

Subs
      Aquilani - 6, solid and really started to show in the last 5 minutes.
      Maxi - 6, couple of neat touches.
      Spearing - 5, didn't really see him after he came on.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2010 01:40:42 am by Roddenberry »
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #190: Aug 06, 2010 01:39:52 am

Cavalieri - 6, had nothing to do.
      Johnson - 5, good going forward but I'm deducting two points for that ponytail.
      Kelly - 8 Ready for the first team now.
      Carragher - 6, had nothing to do.
      Skrtel - 7, won every aerial ball.
      Lucas - 7, saw a glimpse of something tonight.
      Gerrard - 7, good movement.
      Jovanovic - 7, impressed me tonight, useful looking player.
      Pacheco - 6, you can see the potential, but didn't do much.
      Ngog - 6, hot and cold, needs to be more ruthless.

Subs
      Aquilani - 6, solid and really started to show in the last 5 minutes.
      Maxi - 6, couple of neat touches.
      Spearing - 5, didn't really see him after he came on.

You forgot Joe Cole ;)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #191: Aug 06, 2010 01:40:24 am
      Only just got in myself but just wondering why we played with ten men tonight, an otherwise good match report. ;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #192: Aug 06, 2010 01:41:44 am
      Only just got in myself but just wondering why we played with ten men tonight, an otherwise good match report. ;)

I definitely typed 'Joe Cole - 8, MoM for me' at some point, must have deleted it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #193: Aug 06, 2010 01:42:06 am
      Just having proper footy back is enough for me. But I'm actually buzzing after tonight, got me hopes up for the new season.

About time meaningful football returned. Now it's up to the lads to just continue this into the League campaign. If we play like that, we'll create chances against any side. That's one thing I'd like to see Roy carry on doing, allowing us to go out with freedom rather than rigid play. When we attack, we're breathtaking at times and every side would struggle to cope with us.

Ngog could of had a hatful tonight, but one thing I like from centre forwards is being there to miss chances. If he's there to miss them rather than not being there at all, then it shows he's still prepared to get in the box rather than going missing. Does look more like an instinct forward to me though, give him time to think and he gets caught in two minds. Give him a split second to just hit the target and he usually does.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,693 posts | 892 
      Reply #194: Aug 06, 2010 07:14:57 am
      Imo lucas and aquilani did very well too.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #195: Aug 06, 2010 08:12:21 am
      Good strong performance from the whole team, I must point out that Caveleri could have done more as he was a spectator for 90 mins! ;D.  I think Cole showed good form too and linked up with Gerrard quite well, if they can keep this up for when Torres comes back we should be scoring goals in most games!  

I know it was a below average team we played, but a team none the less and our team had a good run out in a competitive match, N'Gog has also shown he's ready for a step up and he will hopefully continue to do so even when when/if he gets put back on the bench when El Nino returns.

Overall great team performance let's take a huge positive from this and march on into 10-11 with fresh hope!

PS ;D @ Carra post match! I love his honesty  :lmao:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #196: Aug 06, 2010 08:45:35 am
      Where's all the Rafa bashers now th....oh hang on.

;D

IRWT ;)

lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #197: Aug 06, 2010 09:13:35 am
      someone has probably mentioned this but jovanovic copping a cheeky feel because that lad was fouling him made me laugh.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #198: Aug 06, 2010 09:24:44 am
      Just caught the extended highlights. Joe Cole, you star. That is all i have to say.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #199: Aug 06, 2010 09:48:09 am
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #200: Aug 06, 2010 09:50:53 am
      Was a good game, lets hope all the players come back fit from this fukin international.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #201: Aug 06, 2010 10:17:16 am
      Watched this last night... obviously

Very comfortable game for us. RS had nine players behind the ball in the first half and eleven in the second half.
      Even then there were times when we carved them open at ease. Joe Cole and Jovanovic both instrumental in opening up the defence and on another night Ngog would have taken a well deserved hat trick. Beware negative Premier League teams because I have a feeling we will tear you apart.

I know we have to temper our enthusiasm because of the opposition, but I do feel that the positive to take out was the ability of our forwards to open up such a negative team...Something we have often lacked.

The young lads did well too. Pacheco's only fault being, in his desperation to score in front of the kop he often ignored the through ball to another forward... but then again being selfish in front of goal is something he could teach Ngog. Kelly had a fantastic game and looked very comfortable at left back. He also put in a committed well timed tackle to stop us conceding late on.

I think our set pieces have taken a step forward. It looks to me like we use a combination of Man/Zonal marking. I for one always like to see men on the post too. Carra even got forward when we had corners. At one point he made a run out of our defence... I had to double check it wasn't Gerrard.

Great to see the crowd applauding Spearing when he came on...Although I got the feeling Lucas thought they were applauding him.

Carra did try to build up the crowd late on but it looked like the travelling support (Home and away) was light on the ground for this one. To be expected really as Juve played in a smaller capacity stadium against Shamrock Rovers so for a game of this caliber it's no surprise to see us not sell out.

Glad to see the players out there with smiles on their faces, a world away from the sodden shower that turned up for the Hull game at the end of the season.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #202: Aug 06, 2010 10:37:09 am

I wasn't exactly excited for this match but it was great to see so many positives in it, thought Gerrard and Cole worked very well together. Jovanavic, Pacheco worked well but I do wish ngog would be more clinical. Overall we easily bossed the game, they were awful but it was good to see so many away fans…..i saw about 13 in the away end
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #203: Aug 06, 2010 10:53:01 am
      Was impressed with that shift from the lads last night.

Got to agree with everyone here and say Kelly and Cole were the stand outs. Cole was F***ing boss, nice to have a player who can geniunely whip a ball into the box. He linked up with Gerrard superbly. Kelly looks like he can be a first team regular to be honest, he knows exactly when to pick his moments to attack, a certain Glen Johnson could learn from him. ;)

Great performance though, and now we just sit and hope everyone comes back from the F***ing stupid internations injury free.

Already buzzing for the Arsenal match!
      redtiptoe
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts |
      Reply #204: Aug 06, 2010 11:01:50 am
      Thought we played really well, so nice to see Cole he just looks so comfortable on the ball, Aquallani did well when he came on aswell so i think the midfield is pretty sorted.

Its early days but it was a good performance, and i just cant wait for the Arsenal game now.
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Reply #205: Aug 06, 2010 12:45:11 pm
      Thanks for that Rof, the game looked class. Cole played superb and his linking play wiht the whole team was really special, can't wait to see how he links up with our man Torres as well when the season starts.

Speaking of, I wonder what scoreline the game would've finished on had Torres been playing instead of N'Gog (Not that I don't like N'Gog, I think he's a good young talent).
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #206: Aug 06, 2010 01:57:13 pm
      Buzzing from the game last night ;D ;D.  Our overall play was brilliant with standout performances from Cole, Kelly and Jova.  Have to say I am most excited about Kelly as for such a young lad, he looked like a seasoned pro - and didnt realise he was so good going forward. Can see him cementing a place in the first team. 

This was the first game I started to really rate Jova - has a Kuyt like workrate.  What more can we expect of him? Well check out this video whilst @ Liege where in one game he is "faster than Usain Bolt" - Milan Jovanovic faster than Usain Bolt  Made me smile!!!!!

Finally, for those who feel like drooling over Joe Cole.  I found this Joe Cole highlights video on talkaloadofbull.com - http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/9/england/2010/08/06/2058315/video-individual-match-highlights-of-joe-cole-liverpool

Quick Reply