Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Neil Lennon Attacked By Hearts Fan

Read 7456 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Neil Lennon Attacked By Hearts Fan
      Reply #23: May 12, 2011 02:08:04 pm
      I understand all that, but what has lennon done that warrants such behaviour towards him?

Erm, well he is a Catholic one played for Northern Ireland and spent most of his Celtic playing career winding up the Ranger's fans.

I honestly find it hard to state 'why' he has become the most hated man in Scottish football. I can't explain it properly because I'm not invested in the whole Ugly Sister's endless argument.

Basically he doesn't do himself any favours by the way he acts and what he says. He doesn't hide his love for what Celtic stand for but that isn't something new. The difference is that he is everything that hardcore Ranger's fans hate and he isn't shy about showing it.

Also apparently another bullet in the post this morning!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #24: May 12, 2011 02:17:28 pm
      Erm, well he is a Catholic one played for Northern Ireland and spent most of his Celtic playing career winding up the Ranger's fans.

I honestly find it hard to state 'why' he has become the most hated man in Scottish football. I can't explain it properly because I'm not invested in the whole Ugly Sister's endless argument.

Basically he doesn't do himself any favours by the way he acts and what he says. He doesn't hide his love for what Celtic stand for but that isn't something new. The difference is that he is everything that hardcore Ranger's fans hate and he isn't shy about showing it.

Also apparently another bullet in the post this morning!

Easy target then! i guess celtic fans must be rejoicing in the downfall of  gascoigne after his flute antics?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #25: May 12, 2011 02:23:45 pm
      Easy target then! I guess celtic fans must be rejoicing in the downfall of  gascoigne after his flute antics?

Erm, I'm not so sure there is any particularl long-term bitterness towards Gazza that is any different in the eyes of Celtic fans.

Like I say I enjoy talking to both sets of fan's about the football but it is impossible to separate the football from the politics in Glasgow. That is where the problem lies, any incident automatically placed on polar opposites of the scale by both sides. There is no such thing as a bad decision/performance in Scottish football, it is nearly always viewed as definitive proof of a massive cultural conspiracy by both sides.

Of course both sets of fans have sensible fans but the "90 minute bigot" thing is bullshit. The majority of them, in my experience, will come out with the heavy stuff frequently.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #26: May 12, 2011 02:37:56 pm
      Sadly an education system which actively separates kids to go to different faith schools at an early age doesn't help. It is inbred to them at a young age that there is a difference between them. Of course Glasgow isn't the only place where this happens but given the history of the west of scotland and the links across in ireland it is  recipe for disaster. No-one deserves this but the problem is in many people's eyes Lennon plays on his image too much and has confessed to part of his character being confrontational, hence walking on the pitch at Ibrox and going to the Celtic fans and playing the conspiracy card too often. Added to this is the police and government getting involved and some pretty stupid comments by people involved in the game in scotland such as the cetic chief exec supposedly saying there is no sectarian problem at celtic.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #27: May 12, 2011 08:42:48 pm
      Ive said in previous posts when people are  sending a football manager bullits and nailbombs its time to call it a day .
      What avenue would the mutants take if football wasnt the meeting point ,tho ??
      RedsTillIDie
      • Banned

• 127 posts |
      • Open my veins I'm red to the core
      Reply #28: May 13, 2011 01:31:05 am
      Neil Lennon YNWA!!! Remember that
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #29: May 13, 2011 08:17:04 pm
      He shouldn't be treated like this. I hate Fergie, but i would never want a fellow Red to attack him. F**k politics in sport.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: May 13, 2011 08:25:14 pm
      Disgraceful acts by cowards masquerading as fans. No job can be approached right in those circumstances. YNWA Neil
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #31: May 19, 2011 06:16:04 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0116sqw/Bigotry_Bombs_and_Football/

Kind of explains this season for anyone interested.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #32: May 19, 2011 08:31:14 pm
      Madness,dont know how the lad dose the job,bullets and nail bombs been posted to his family home.
      Some people take football  to the extreme.

Quick Reply