Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Who could have won us the title since 1990?

Read 1775 times
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 255 posts | -3 
      Who could have won us the title since 1990?
      Jun 29, 2007 08:20:31 pm
      17 years without the big one - the Title.

If there would have been one player we could have bought in those 17 years that we never did, who you reckon could have helped us on our way, who would it have been.

My choice would have to be Alan Shearer.  I remember us being linked with him before he went to Newcastle in 1996.  We were losing Ian Rush, Nigel Clough and big Jan that summer.  Stan Collymore however had been with us a season.

Alan Shearer then... and who knows.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Who could have won us the title since 1990?
      Reply #1: Jun 29, 2007 08:22:57 pm
      Good topic.

Might be a bit of a controversial one, but personally I would say Peter Schmeichel. During Roy Evans reign we were scoring plenty but Calamity James was letting in twice as many. Not just James actually, since Grobelaar left we've had a succession of dodgy keepers until Reina. With Schmeichel in goal who knows what might have happened during those years?
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #2: Jun 29, 2007 08:26:55 pm
      Got to be paul scholes for me, always used to score, was the best CM in the country in the late 90's always getting on the score  sheet, great range of passing to.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jun 29, 2007 09:22:50 pm
      Arthur Scargill :f_bluelight:, a true red and the best "Striker" we have ever seen in this country! but seriously could any one player have turned things around in the 1990's, if after 2000, then Henry.
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #4: Jun 29, 2007 10:31:06 pm
      I think mayb some of the older players we had singed like Jair Litmanen if we signed him earlier we could of had ourselfs a great player, and mayb we should of signed some better players Andy Cole before he went to Man u, Alan Shearer, a decent goalkeeper and even a good centre back.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #5: Jun 30, 2007 12:55:29 am
      I think we should have kept hold of Nicola Anelka.  He could score goals and had a lot more to offer.  I would have loved to have seen Thierry Henry arrive at Anfield a number of years ago.

I find it funny that we have at times had superb goalscorers and a sh*t defence, and more recently completely the opposite way around. Someday, hopefully soon we will have both working well. You just can't see our current defence going sh*t so it really is a case of us sorting out a decent striker or two.

Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 30, 2007 10:06:39 am
      Supposedly, we were offered Cantona before he went to Leeds.  We turned him down, not good enough.

Come to think about it we did have Ronny Rosenthal at the time.

kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Jun 30, 2007 01:20:51 pm
      Shearer would have been a good shout.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #8: Jun 30, 2007 01:52:47 pm
      Liverbird - think the guy means 'possible' signings!  Paul Scoles would not have been that.

EddieC has it right...we did have a fantastic Strikeforce - but look at the defence we've had over the years.  Unti Hyppia came on board it was a disaster:

Tanner, Wright, Ruddock, Venison, Byornabe (can't spell it), All those scandinavians..ect  I like all of us had big hopes for Scales and Babb...but that never happened.

So a couple of solid defenders would have helped - can't think of any at the mow.
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #9: Jun 30, 2007 02:58:20 pm
      17 years without the big one - the Title.

If there would have been one player we could have bought in those 17 years that we never did, who you reckon could have helped us on our way, who would it have been.

My choice would have to be Alan Shearer.  I remember us being linked with him before he went to Newcastle in 1996.  We were losing Ian Rush, Nigel Clough and big Jan that summer.  Stan Collymore however had been with us a season.

Alan Shearer then... and who knows.

Obviously Shearer would've been an excellent buy back then, but I don't really think it was the strike force or indeed the Midfield that let us down back then.  If we had a better back line then IMO we would have definiteley pushed the Mancs all the way for the title.  For example, had Roy Evans had the benefit of the defence that Houllier later brought in... Babbel, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher... then there would obviously have been a massive difference.  Instead we had the likes of Tanner, Babb, Scales, Ruddock, Bjornebye, and Harkness...  I may be being a little unfair to a few of those but IMO they were not good enough for Liverpool.  Mark Wright was good enough, but injury prone, and I don't have to convince anyone about the quality of Rob Jones.
      « Last Edit: Sep 25, 2007 11:51:07 am by Istvan Kozma »
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #10: Jun 30, 2007 03:24:10 pm
      Ryan Giggs............. why the hell hasnt the name came up.

for years since John Barnes we have been on the look out since the Mcmanaman days of when wingers actually did what they are paid for ;

DRIBBLING AND BEATING DEFENDERS AND USE BALL SKILLS.

......... WE HAVE SINCE THE DAYS OF HEIGHWAY, BARNES, MCMANAMAN, LIDDEL, needed a fast tricky winger.
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Jun 30, 2007 03:36:51 pm
      Ryan Giggs............. why the hell hasnt the name came up.

for years since John Barnes we have been on the look out since the Mcmanaman days of when wingers actually did what they are paid for ;

DRIBBLING AND BEATING DEFENDERS AND USE BALL SKILLS.

......... WE HAVE SINCE THE DAYS OF HEIGHWAY, BARNES, MCMANAMAN, LIDDEL, needed a fast tricky winger.

Giggs could have signed for any club in the world at his best, but the bottom-line is that he isn't or wasn't a realistic target.  You're right in what you say otherwise.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #12: Jun 30, 2007 06:03:59 pm
      for me just name 2 of the best central defenders at the time (the positions we lacked most at the time) and we surley would have won some titles. We had a grat strike force and a good midfield too  so!!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #13: Jun 30, 2007 08:16:03 pm
      Sheerer is a good one. But I can't believe we never went in for Roy Keane when he was a Forest and I'm still disappointed that we never put the money up for Damien Duff.
      blocker
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 30, 2007 11:21:20 pm
      Roy Keane for me. The Spice boys team of the 90's should have won a title or two but didn't have the determination and were too keen on partying. Keane would have sorted them out.

Quick Reply