Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Roy the Right Man for Liverpool FC? (added 9 September 2010)

Yes
      (7.3%)
      No
      (80.2%)
      Undecided
      (12.5%)

Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)

Read 512577 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,730 posts | 7165 
      Re: Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)
      Reply #9407: Jan 07, 2011 03:46:59 pm
      Is there a new breed of poster recently just coming on to be massive WUM. Things are sensitive at the moment buttons shouldnt be pushed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9408: Jan 07, 2011 03:49:57 pm
      Sad state of affairs when fans are happy when one of our players is injured.
      Nothing like supporting any player whilst on the pitch with 100%, even if they're not the most talented of players.

It is a sad state of affairs.

Let's hope Roy is kept away from the transfer funds.
      Wouldn't fancy another Konchelsky or Poulson.
      Raul would be okay if he was kept at CM, but the others shouldn't even be in the squad never mind the first team
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Reply #9409: Jan 07, 2011 03:50:13 pm
      It is not the fact that he may be injured. It is the fact the if he is, then he will not be picked above better players.
      Thats not what he was saying, he was claping at the fact he was a doubt.
      I have no doubt that there are other players that can do better in his position, but I'm sorry. I just can't see why anyone would clap someone being 'a doubt' whether they meant it as in another player would be choosen above him, or they're just generally happy he's injured.
      Some fans needs to wake up and smell the coffee, we're not as big as we once were and it'll take time to get back there.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9410: Jan 07, 2011 03:55:28 pm
      I have no doubt that there are other players that can do better in his position, but I'm sorry. I just can't see why anyone would clap someone being 'a doubt' whether they meant it as in another player would be choosen above him, or they're just generally happy he's injured.
      Some fans needs to wake up and smell the coffee, we're not as big as we once were and it'll take time to get back there.

Some fans need to lighten the F**k up.
      I'm sure the comment was meant in jest. Probably out of frustration of seeing Konchelsky be useless, but none of us pray injury on players.

Edit: We're still a big club. We're just a big club recovering from major surgery, which needs tidying up.
      m4Rco
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • 'cause you said the brains I had went to my head.
      Reply #9411: Jan 07, 2011 03:56:53 pm
      The Meireles transfer was never made by Hodgson, it was done by Rafa, that's why Hodgson keeps playing Meireles on the wing, which is F***ing stupid.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #9412: Jan 07, 2011 03:57:36 pm

You said he was injured, torrestorres said he was a doubt!

A dead leg is not injured.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011 04:03:51 pm by RedPuppy »
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Reply #9413: Jan 07, 2011 04:01:54 pm
      The Meireles transfer was never made by Hodgson, it was done by Rafa, that's why Hodgson keeps playing Meireles on the wing, which is F***ing stupid.
      I think Meireles is a quality player, wherever he plays.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9414: Jan 07, 2011 04:03:12 pm

Just so happens he is most effective in midfield, beside Lucas, allowing Gerrard to do what he does best.
      Pity we don't have a manager that can see that
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #9415: Jan 07, 2011 04:04:36 pm
      NO
      Lenchy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts | -7 
      Reply #9416: Jan 07, 2011 04:06:01 pm
      Just so happens he is most effective in midfield, beside Lucas, allowing Gerrard to do what he does best.
      Pity we don't have a manager that can see that
      When Hodgson came to the club, I was praising him saying he was the right man for the club.
      Since, I've been proved wrong and it's time he went, but I just don't like all the bashing.
      Sometimes it doesn't work out for people at a club, but some of the abuse is OTT and damn right disrespectful.
      The least we can do as fans, is if and when he does leave the club, either by mutual consent, a sacking or other means, then I think we should wish him well.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #9417: Jan 07, 2011 04:08:49 pm

Hodgson isn't and never was good enough. It's not a case of turning on a manager too early, it's a case of recognising a mistake and dealing with it before it goes too far.

That said, the owners are right to try and make sure that they don't replace one mistake with another one by acting too soon.

I'd love Rafa to come back with the support he deserved to have before, but perhaps his time has gone now and those of us who never wanted him to go have to just get over it.

I do think that Kenny could do a job for us, he certainly couldn't do worse than Hodgson is doing.

I'm a bit concerned about the influence that the likes of Gerrard and Carragher might have in this process and the influence they might have had in getting rid of Rafa and getting Roy in, and the fact that Purslow is still there is also worrying.

Roy needs to go now though, even if we just let Sammy Lee take over while we found someone to take the job on properly.

Roy has proved those who knew he wasn't up to the job to be right and he's also proved himself not to be the nice man he was supposed to be. Time to go and go now.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #9418: Jan 07, 2011 04:09:19 pm
      WHAT AN UTTER SHAME!

most of the People here hardly give any tactical reasons here.. watch liverpool play with the blind eye.
      he is doing that he is doing this..
      u think roy is blank when it comes to football? what shame!
      the same old People who think roy is a bad option now were the ones who appreciated and celebrated upon roys arrival.
      no one wants to blame the players,
      a player looses possession-blame the manager
      a bad pass- blame the manager
      no proper positioning - blame the manager..

the players must be having a hearty laugh if they are looking at this discussion..

Cast your mind back to Man City on the second day of the season, I knew we were in trouble from the moment we appointed him and this confirmed it for me.  It was a prime display of why Hodgson is a journeyman manager with a reputation of being 'the best of the rest' and not a world class tactician. He played a 4-4-2 (a formation which best uses the wide areas of the pitch when we have no actual wingers) away from home against a 5 man midfield which consisted of 3 DMs to hold the ball and deny us possession thus seeing our midfield overrun and leaving both strikers now isolated.

If you're going to be outnumbered 3 vs 2 in midfield, you have to forget about going through the middle, but concentrate on stopping the other side from going through the middle. So your midfield 2 have to be the best midfield cloggers you have, while you shift your creative focus to the wings. So Gerrard either plays as the second striker, in which case the 4-4-2 is effectively a 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1 or whatever you call it, or he moves to the wing. Playing him in the centre in a 2 up front 4-4-2 either wastes his attacking talent, or leaves his partner with a hopeless task against the opposition's midfield 3.

Funny you should talk about passing and ball retention.  A rigid 4-4-2 (our current formation) is a poor choice for retaining possession, it's a formation designed to get the most out of average players, we don't have average players.  The midfield is too flat and as such closes down some good passing angles.

It's been done to death in other threads, use the search function.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,511 posts | 2872 
      Reply #9419: Jan 07, 2011 04:09:39 pm

I think he's sh*te on the right wing. Has no idea where to go.

Top marks to Roy for shifting him out there!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9420: Jan 07, 2011 04:09:49 pm
      When Hodgson came to the club, I was praising him saying he was the right man for the club.
      Since, I've been proved wrong and it's time he went, but I just don't like all the bashing.
      Sometimes it doesn't work out for people at a club, but some of the abuse is OTT and damn right disrespectful.
      The least we can do as fans, is if and when he does leave the club, either by mutual consent, a sacking or other means, then I think we should wish him well.

I'll wish him all the best. Might do well at another Fulham.
      Think once he is gone and the owners appoint "The right man", whoever that is, we will once again unite as a club.
      He should never have got the job here though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #9421: Jan 07, 2011 04:09:53 pm

Recommended by Macia!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #9422: Jan 07, 2011 04:10:07 pm
      Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that Konchesky and Poulsen are not worthy of a place in this squad, let us not forget that there are another 7 or 8 players that are also in the same category, players that were already here. Please do not forget that, Roy has just added more sh*t to the pile of sh*t that was already here, which has resulted in a great big steaming pile of sh*t.

Apologies for going off topic, this thread has descended into farcical proportions, i wish that i'd never started it now. Hoodwinked by Hodgson, what a lying b***ard he really is!.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011 04:15:22 pm by hardcoresoldier »
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #9423: Jan 07, 2011 04:13:37 pm
      I'll wish him all the best. Might do well at another Fulham.
      Think once he is gone and the owners appoint "The right man", whoever that is, we will once again unite as a club.
      He should never have got the job here though.

I'll second that.

You always like to see people doing well at smaller clubs, or at least clubs which are not direct rivals to us. I always look out for Leeds and West Ham for some reason?

We, as fans, were split on the appoitment of Roy, so hopefully the new 'right man' can unite us from the start.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9424: Jan 07, 2011 04:16:57 pm
      .......damn right disrespectful.

Compared to the respect that Hodgson has given to every Liverpool fan? Come on. You get what you give and unfortunately for him he gave "a group of people" a LOT of rope.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #9425: Jan 07, 2011 04:17:10 pm
      I think it is a F***ing shambles the whole situation to be honest, the lad is even getting protected from the media by the club now, does that not tell them everything they need to know.

Very angry the owners have obviously given up on the fa cup. They seem incapable of making the correct decision and it is embarrassing now having a manager who is a lame duck.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9426: Jan 07, 2011 04:18:57 pm
      i wish that i'd never started it now. Hoodwinked by Hodgson, what a lying b***ard he really is!.

I reckon your forgiven for buying into it mate, you wanted what was best for the club and all that talk of returning to pass and move football and the Liverpool of old hooked a lot of people.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #9427: Jan 07, 2011 04:20:38 pm
      I cant believe hes not been sacked yet, we live in hope tho

YNWA
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9428: Jan 07, 2011 04:21:01 pm
      I reckon your forgiven for buying into it mate, you wanted what was best for the club and all that talk of returning to pass and move football and the Liverpool of old hooked a lot of people.

Roy put out a good speal when he got here. We all wanted to believe.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #9429: Jan 07, 2011 04:23:26 pm
      I cant believe hes not been sacked yet

This was my feeling last night.  However, giving him the Man Utd game does make a modicum of sense.

It's probably not the place for a new manager to go with a team out of sorts, and in any case even a victory (which is always possible especially with 7 of the 11 that hammered them 4-1 not so long ago) it will not be enough to save him.

All of us know the eventual outcome.  It's a shame that the decision was not taken far earlier and maybe given us the unity to help push to the top four, however, I can see the sense in not doing it before United.

You never know, Fergie may be so desperate to extend Roy's reign at Anfield that he may offer a little help in terms of his team tactics and selection.

Quick Reply