Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Roy the Right Man for Liverpool FC? (added 9 September 2010)

Yes
      (7.3%)
      No
      (80.2%)
      Undecided
      (12.5%)

Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)

Read 512199 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Is Roy The Right Man? (Vote)
      Reply #6808: Dec 11, 2010 10:35:37 am
      In my experience on both here and other forums it's those who most vociferously oppose Hodgson and his appointment who tend to "condemn" anyone who doesn't. Why people can't simply accept that on a football forum you tend to get different views (indeed it's much better if you do) I can never fathom.

I get what you're saying mick and maybe each of us are picking up on 'the extremes' to back our argument.

I'm happy for anyone to actually read my posts then pigeon-hole me if they wish. Listen, chances are you didn't mean to patronise, but your copy n paste of Hodgson's history undoubtedly read that way. I honestly couldn't believe that you thought that we needed that?

I also took exception to the fact that one poster, (not you) suggested that my objections to Hodgson were based on some hankering after Benitez. Nothing could be further from the truth and if that poster would have had the wit and decency to have read my posts; they would have known that.

What's done is done; i'm big enough and ugly enough to set sh*t aside and move on. ...back on topic. ...

I come to the conclusion earlier on (rightly or wrongly) that Hodgson is not right for us - that doesn't make me wiser or more knowledgeable than those who are hedging their bets as they wait to 'jump on the bandwagon' - just more honest/foolish, I guess.

gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #6809: Dec 11, 2010 11:46:02 am
      Strangely enough, those most vociferous in their condemnation of others for not backing Hodgson, have all stated (to varying degrees) that they either aren't sure he's right or that he'll do until such times.

I have not read one "give him a chance" poster who is actually convinced and 100%
      committed to Hodgson being the right man. That begs the question; why do you feel the need to condemn those who are 100% convinced he isn't?

The thing is: if anyone had taken the time out to actually read some of the threads on this forum they would have noted, with a few exceptions, the vast majority on here; a) Were very much aware of Hodgson's history before he arrived and b) Were still prepared to give
      him a chance.

I must point out that; some posters based on what they already read and knew, weren't and 'warned' us. Sadly it didn't take Hodgson long to revert to type.

Thing is badboy, I don't think anyone, not one person has come out and openly supported Roy with regards to being the right manager. However people have defended him against the Knuckle draggers that openly abuse the guy calling him a c**t and hijacking every single thread with stupid one line comments re how someone could do better than Roy, Roy made this happen Roy did that etc etc.

Let us not forget (he who must not be named..... Rhymes with Faffa) getting dragged up time and again thus dragging the forum into all out war.

Agree with the forum being about opinions, however some people take their own opinions as fact and get annoyed get abusive etc when someone disagrees with them. However don't think that will change but maybe if Roy goes on a bit of a run he may get a bit of slack.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6810: Dec 11, 2010 11:56:39 am
      I posted this on 9 September -

IT'S F***ing GROUNDHOG DAY.

I'm better than you*/ you are disloyal* because I support Rafa*/ I support Roy* 100%. I am F***ing great me.

*delete where appropriate.

Read my posts on the subject and on name calling - My opinion hasn't changed. :-\
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6811: Dec 11, 2010 12:50:17 pm
      What did Agger come out and say about styles of play?

Yes we play hoof football now, the point I was making is that doesn't vary from last year either. But certain people will blame players last year and manager this year for exactly the same thing.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #6812: Dec 11, 2010 01:04:06 pm
      I get what you're saying mick and maybe each of us are picking up on 'the extremes' to back our argument.

I'm happy for anyone to actually read my posts then pigeon-hole me if they wish. Listen, chances are you didn't mean to patronise, but your copy n paste of Hodgson's history undoubtedly read that way. I honestly couldn't believe that you thought that we needed that?

Mate the only reason I dragged up Hodgsons record, was because when I said that if you looked at it, it was actually "quite good" and not "a complete pile of sh!t", I got told I was talking b0ll0cks and asked to back up my point. Now it's up to each and every person whether they consider the fact that he took Fulham to their highest ever Premiership finish and their first ever European final as more or less significant that a win percentage, but at least I put it out there. Similarly, people can either completely dismiss the fact that he's won eight league titles because they were in scandinavia, or they can give the achievement more credit, it is entirely up to them.

No condescension involved on my part (and nor should they be I run a pub for a living and definately ain't anything special), but when challenged to explain my point I think it was only fair to do so.   
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6813: Dec 11, 2010 01:57:47 pm
      It is quite good for a mid table team not a team like Liverpool. When Roy has done okay it has been with a mediocre teams. When he has struggled it is when he has had to make the step up.

I blame his tactics a lot for this there are extremely negative and suit a siege mentality suit an underdog. So when Roys goes away to say Wigan he hasn't a clue how to win a game that is fairly obvious.

I think he will last the season but I think come next season he will be gone. After his signings of Poulsen and Konchesky for £10 million and his pursuit of Carlton Cole I'm just praying he is not allowed anywhere near transfers.

Have to say I'm one of the big critics bb is talking about, I knew his record, knew his style of play and had seen many of his teams over the years and which led me to know no matter what the British loving Hodgson media would have had us believe he was not the right man for the club.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #6814: Dec 11, 2010 01:59:07 pm
      Foregoing the need for comparative data, managerial histrionics and other diversionary comment the fact is Hodgson was appointed by the PREVIOUS DISCREDITED REGIME to implement their also discredited modus operandi in bleeding the life out of LFC.
      This is not to say that Roy is bleeding the life out of LFC but while the parasites did their worst they wanted a manager who would keep the club at least in the Prem. with what they considered the least possible outlay, the previous incumbent did not meet this criteria by any stretch of the imagination.
      For obvious reasons the organisation referred to has been well and truly dispatched to everyone's relief and the only reminder is one Roy Hodgson whose fate has never looked rosy. Why should he be given the benefit of our doubt and time to adjust our standing as a comparison to his own perceived status?
      We did not want his mentors and we do not want him, stand back and consider our expectations of the team now as opposed to....I'm thinking of a comparative model but the word whenever keeps coming to mind.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6815: Dec 11, 2010 02:11:22 pm
      Yes we play hoof football now, the point I was making is that doesn't vary from last year either. But certain people will blame players last year and manager this year for exactly the same thing.

I reckoned that Carragher, among others, should have been dropped last season. They weren't and that may have added to the reasons behind the poor results and the then managers departure.

What do you reckon the remedy is this season DLS and who do you think should administer that remedy?
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #6816: Dec 11, 2010 02:23:13 pm
      LMAO

Is hodgson getting the fans to pick the side???

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/if-you-were-roy-hodgson-6
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6817: Dec 11, 2010 03:08:14 pm
      I reckoned that Carragher, among others, should have been dropped last season. They weren't and that may have added to the reasons behind the poor results and the then managers departure.

What do you reckon the remedy is this season DLS and who do you think should administer that remedy?

Plenty of players had reasons to be dropped last year. They weren't and that choice is the manager's and the manager's alone, if he's not dropping the players then it's his funeral unfortunately.

As for the remedy, I'm sure you know what my remedy is. My remedy is simply revert back to the pass and move football, most Liverpool fans were brought up on. Now who should be in charge for that? As I've said many times I wanted a Liverpool man in charge and would still prefer a Liverpool man in charge of Liverpool Football Club.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #6818: Dec 11, 2010 03:48:37 pm
      Plenty of players had reasons to be dropped last year. They weren't and that choice is the manager's and the manager's alone, if he's not dropping the players then it's his funeral unfortunately.

As for the remedy, I'm sure you know what my remedy is. My remedy is simply revert back to the pass and move football, most Liverpool fans were brought up on. Now who should be in charge for that? As I've said many times I wanted a Liverpool man in charge and would still prefer a Liverpool man in charge of Liverpool Football Club.
      Pass and move is the ideal Billy but it's a case of not having a manager with the right mindset or not having the players to implement the ideology, or more often than not in recent years a lack of both.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #6819: Dec 11, 2010 04:11:21 pm

Thing is badboy, I don't think anyone, not one person has come out and openly supported Roy with regards to being the right manager. However people have defended him against the Knuckle draggers that openly abuse the guy calling him a c**t and hijacking every single thread with stupid one line comments re how someone could do better than Roy, Roy made this happen Roy did that etc etc.

Let us not forget (he who must not be named..... Rhymes with Faffa) getting dragged up time and again thus dragging the forum into all out war.

Agree with the forum being about opinions, however some people take their own opinions as fact and get annoyed get abusive etc when someone disagrees with them. However don't think that will change but maybe if Roy goes on a bit of a run he may get a bit of slack.

It's funny how this didn't apply to those who chose to defend the manager last season!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6820: Dec 11, 2010 04:19:04 pm
      Pass and move is the ideal Billy but it's a case of not having a manager with the right mindset or not having the players to implement the ideology, or more often than not in recent years a lack of both.

Agreed Stuey mate. We haven't seen sustained pass and move football since Roy Evans' managerial years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #6821: Dec 11, 2010 04:22:25 pm
      Agreed Stuey mate. We haven't seen sustained pass and move football since Roy Evans' managerial years.

Even I then I could pick holes through the team, I'd go as far as saying we haven't proper pass and move since the end of the 88-90 team!

Redknapp was one of them who had the habit of standing still admiring a pass he made, instead of looking for space to move into.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #6822: Dec 11, 2010 04:26:43 pm

Redknapp was one of them who had the habit of standing still admiring a pass he made, instead of looking for space to move into.
      It was like he got into the advertising industry ahead of time.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6823: Dec 11, 2010 04:27:26 pm
      Even I then I could pick holes through the team, I'd go as far as saying we haven't proper pass and move since the end of the 88-90 team!

Aye, I'd go along with that about Redknapp. But the mid 90s is the closest thing to pass and move we've had during the Premiership.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #6824: Dec 11, 2010 04:28:44 pm
      It was like he got into the advertising industry ahead of time.

8)
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #6825: Dec 11, 2010 04:30:37 pm
      today is a big game in terms of Hodgson's ability to manage a big-club. Newcastle are on the ropes at the minute and anything less than a vistory is unaccpetable.
      digger123
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #6826: Dec 11, 2010 04:33:12 pm
      I'm still not fully convinced. I don't like the body language of Torres and Gerrard. Maybe they are just pissed off we didn't sign any more top players in the summer. Still though we seem to be playing with more balls at home now so I suspect Roy will be given till the end of the season. Unless of course we enter another rut....
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #6827: Dec 11, 2010 04:43:24 pm
      You have a big point here.

I was one of his few fans but now I'm still no decided. If I have the chance to replace him, I will take it but he isn't doing that bad neither.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6828: Dec 11, 2010 04:46:21 pm
      Ian Holloway, on course for his fourth Premiership away win.  If anyone with a straight face can say Blackpool are better than the sides Roy had at Fulham or Blackburn, with whom he managed an impressive total of 12 Premier League away wins I'd be surprised.  

Blackpool  - 400% better away win record than Liverpool at present.  I'm glad I'm already half-pissed or I may need a stiff drink or two.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6829: Dec 11, 2010 06:29:26 pm

Exactly what I said.  

It only makes sense that if it was the managers fault last season it's his fault this season.

Or if not a 'Liverpool man', a manager who shares that ideal, eh? Not Hodgson, I would suggest. I guess it comes down to how long "we" are prepared to persist with a manager who clearly doesn't fit the bill and therein lies the rub. ...

Like I stated earlier not one poster will fully commit to Hodgson being the right man so. ...

If we all already know Hodgson's not the right man: a) At what point do "we" all finally admit it and cut our losses? and  b) Why prolong the agony anyhow?
       >:D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6830: Dec 11, 2010 07:20:53 pm
      Where the clueless F***ing clowns defending this F***ing ape now, till he is sacked the club is going no where, John Henry you really need to wake up it is Christmas and we are in the bottom half that is all down to having a useless F***ing manager.

Quick Reply