Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The best book you have read recently

Read 150796 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: The Best Book You have read recently
      Reply #184: Apr 14, 2010 12:58:05 am
      I've got 44 years with the same bird, you'll love it Diego, boss read it is.

Yeah I'm sure I will, all the reviewers on amazon gave it 5 starts too! That can't be bad ;D

Really enjoying Dalglish's autobiography so far, love the man.
      Dizzy Munchkin
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 538 posts | 17 
      Reply #185: Apr 17, 2010 07:48:59 pm
      Rage - Jonathan Kellerman, excellent read about a murder of a little girl.

Penguins Stopped Play - Harry Thompson, about the travels of an amateur cricket team, thought he guy did take a cheap shot at our beloved club, but what can you expect from a guy who WAS a bitter.

Scream For Me - Karen Rose , only read about 3 of her books & have never been disappointed.

Girls -Lori Lansens - bit of a mmm book, can't quite get in to it but isn't boring that i won't want to pick it up again.

Cold Case- Faye Kellerman- Good but not as good as some of her other books

Deep Heat - Chris Manby - Quite funny chick lit
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #186: Apr 28, 2010 05:14:21 pm
      I was reading 4 books at the same time :D - one about Brazilian football, one about Economics and 2 about the World War II. Yesterday I finished reading the first one, and stopped reading the second (it was communist bullshit :P), but I'm still enjoying the others about the WWII: The Eagle Has Landed (by Jack Higgins) and The Young Lions (by Irwin Shaw).
      jackscore
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #187: Apr 29, 2010 04:24:42 pm
      Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
      Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre
      The Good Doctor - Damon Galgut
      The Accidental - Ali Smith
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #188: Apr 29, 2010 06:25:46 pm
      90 minutes in heaven.

It's a true story about a man who was in a car crash in 1986, his car was crushed by a truck, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

90 minutes later he came back to life.

He tells his story about being in heaven for 90 minutes and what it was like.

I was a bit skeptical about the book at first but it was a good read and quite fascinating.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #189: Apr 30, 2010 01:02:09 am
      The first 4 books of The Wheel of Time - All very good but from what I understand, it gets really poor from books 7-10.

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #190: May 06, 2010 11:08:28 pm
      The first 4 books of The Wheel of Time - All very good but from what I understand, it gets really poor from books 7-10.

Raymond E. Fiest ones, right?

My dad got into those, but he was getting quite pissed off in the latter stages. Said it just got way to convoluted. Dunno if he finished the series or not, i know he was past the tenth though.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #191: May 10, 2010 05:43:22 pm
      The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Nime by Mark Haddon and The Road by Cormac McCarthy, loved them both.

Currently reading The Lost City of Z by David Grann and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Both great thus far, Z is like Indiana Jones but then it really happened.

Have a bunch of books waiting to be read too. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, Borges and the Eternal Orangutans by Luis Fernando Verissimo, Lowboy by John Wray, Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman, The Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe, Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, Vanishing Point by David Markson, The Untouchable by John Banville and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. Should get me through the summer :P
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #192: May 10, 2010 06:02:28 pm
      The Secret - Rhonda Byrne :D
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #193: May 10, 2010 06:26:26 pm
      The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Nime by Mark Haddon and The Road by Cormac McCarthy, loved them both.

Currently reading The Lost City of Z by David Grann and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Both great thus far, Z is like Indiana Jones but then it really happened.

Have a bunch of books waiting to be read too. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, Borges and the Eternal Orangutans by Luis Fernando Verissimo, Lowboy by John Wray, Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman, The Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe, Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, Vanishing Point by David Markson, The Untouchable by John Banville and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. Should get me through the summer :P
      I liked The Road well enough. The Lost City of Z is on my summer reading list. I have a different book by Mark Haddon waiting for me, too (A Spot of Bother). Kavalier & Klay is one of the best books I've ever read. I have a couple shelves worth of books just waiting to be read. Once finals are over in twelve days I will finally have a chance to crack them open. Can't wait!
      Danny2304
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 663 posts |
      • Stairway to heaven
      Reply #194: May 10, 2010 06:27:38 pm
      The adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

A classic!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #195: May 10, 2010 06:38:20 pm
      I liked The Road well enough. The Lost City of Z is on my summer reading list. I have a different book by Mark Haddon waiting for me, too (A Spot of Bother). Kavalier & Klay is one of the best books I've ever read. I have a couple shelves worth of books just waiting to be read. Once finals are over in twelve days I will finally have a chance to crack them open. Can't wait!
      Yeah, strange how you can get that anxious to read a book huh :laugh: I have A Spot of Bother on my list too :P So little time, so much to read.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #196: May 10, 2010 07:13:52 pm

44 Years With The Same Bird arrived today. It's in perfect condition, like new! ;D Brilliant
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #197: May 10, 2010 11:39:04 pm
      Raymond E. Fiest ones, right?

My dad got into those, but he was getting quite pissed off in the latter stages. Said it just got way to convoluted. Dunno if he finished the series or not, I know he was past the tenth though.

It was Robert Jordan mate.  He died writing the 12th book in the series but left notes and details of how he wanted it to end, so Brandon Sanderson has taken over to complete the series at 14 books.  From my understanding, the 12th book (The Gathering Storm) is a huge improvement on the previous 4-5 books that left a lot of people disillusioned with the series as a whole.  I've just finished the fifth book this weekend and still loving it so far, although I'm starting to understand why his female characters are infamously hated.  'Annoying' is an understatement describing some of them!

I tried reading The Road a year ago but the lack of punctuation really put me off and I found myself constantly having to re-read passages over and over again.  Couldn't get into it at all.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #198: Jul 02, 2010 01:38:51 pm
      I have just been sent a Gift Certificate for Amazon by my brother for my birthday. I am going to get "Here We Go Gathering Cups in May" but i am not sure what else to get? Any suggestions? I want something football related. I have "44 years with the same bird" and was thinking maybe of getting "The Boys From the Mersey". Any thoughts?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #199: Jul 02, 2010 01:42:34 pm
      I have just been sent a Gift Certificate for Amazon by my brother for my birthday. I am going to get "Here We Go Gathering Cups in May" but I am not sure what else to get? Any suggestions? I want something football related. I have "44 years with the same bird" and was thinking maybe of getting "The Boys From the Mersey". Any thoughts?

I read one of the reviews on amazon, about "The Boys from the Mersey", and the guy said that he wasn't sure about whether people from outside the city would understand the humour. I get all the scouse humour on the forum and anything else i have read about Liverpool. I think that Belfast humour, were i am from, is very similar to Liverpools humour. Do you reckon i will understand it?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #200: Jul 02, 2010 01:44:56 pm
      They're pretty much the books I'd suggest anyways. :D

Some of Tomkins stuff maybe?

On a non-LFC note. Fight Club, written by Chuck Palahniuk.

I've not actually read it yet but I already know it's going to be amazing, probably better than the film, so I've bought it for about £4 off Amazon.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #201: Jul 02, 2010 01:57:26 pm
      I have ordered "Here We Go Gathering Cups in May" and "The Boys From the Mersey". I am a wee bit confussed however. I have a gift voucher for £15. I have £3 in my bank account ;D but anyways, i got this back from amazon. Can anyone make sense of it:

Delivery Method: First Class
      Delivery Preference:Group my items into as few deliveries as possible
      Subtotal of Items:   Â£15.87
      Postage & Packing:   Â£3.34
        ------
      Total before VAT:   Â£19.21
      VAT:   Â£0.00
        ------
      Total:   Â£19.21
      Promotional Gift Certificates:   -£0.00
        ------
      Total:   Â£19.21
      Gift Certificates:   -£15.00
        ------
      Total for this order:   Â£4.21

Delivery estimate: 7 July 2010 1"Here We Go Gathering Cups in May"
      Nicholas Allt; Hardcover; £10.88

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
      1"The Boys from the Mersey: The Story of Liverpool's Annie Road End Crew Football's First Clobbered-up Mob"
      Nicholas Allt; Paperback; £4.99

Sorry for going off-topic but would appreciate the help. Have i only got it for £4 of the £15 gift voucher? Or are they tranacting £4 from my bank account cause as i said, i don't even have £4 in my bank account ???
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #202: Jul 02, 2010 02:10:53 pm
      The book when combined with delivery charges goes over £15 by £4.

What it's saying there is that your £15 voucher has gone towards it but you still have £4 left to pay on top.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #203: Jul 02, 2010 02:12:15 pm
      The book when combined with delivery charges goes over £15 by £4.

What it's saying there is that your £15 voucher has gone towards it but you still have £4 left to pay on top.

Oh right, i thought it meant i had already paid it ;D cheers mate.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #204: Jul 02, 2010 02:14:53 pm
      I guess that means you'll have to cancel the order?
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #205: Jul 02, 2010 02:46:31 pm
      Some of Tomkins stuff maybe?

I just finished Red Race (thank you, LFCReds). There are a lot of numbers involved. If you can wrap your brain around it, you'll enjoy it. The man seems brilliant. Any suggestions for my next Tomkins book?

On a non-LFC note. Fight Club, written by Chuck Palahniuk.

I've read it twice, Joey. I didn't remember how much I felt about it so I read it again. It was just ok in my opinion. One of my all-time favorite movies, though.

I'm reading Roddy Doyle's Barrytown Trilogy right now. I expect to love it as I've loved everything of his so far. I have to cram as much personal reading into the summer as I can. Once school starts back up I won't be able to concentrate on anything else.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #206: Jul 02, 2010 04:34:48 pm
      Not quite finished it yet,but thoroughly enjoying reading Tony Hawks' One Hit Wonderland, seriously considering searching out his 1st book Round Ireland with a Fridge after reading this.

Quick Reply