Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The best book you have read recently

Read 150298 times
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Re: The Best Book You have read recently
      Reply #207: Jul 02, 2010 05:54:01 pm
      Not quite finished it yet,but thoroughly enjoying reading Tony Hawks' One Hit Wonderland, seriously considering searching out his 1st book Round Ireland with a Fridge after reading this.

I take it you don't mean the skateboarder. :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #208: Jul 03, 2010 01:54:24 am
      I take it you don't mean the skateboarder. :D

No, but you may recognize him if you watched Red Dwarf, he was in 3 different episodes as different characters & voiced a couple of vending machines & the talking suitcase in the episode Stasis Leak.  He also had a number 4 hit in the '80s with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAIOzM7SsMo

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #209: Jul 03, 2010 02:18:31 am
      Reading 'Borges and the Eternal Orangutans' at the moment, great F***ing book!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #210: Jul 03, 2010 01:21:06 pm
      I guess that means you'll have to cancel the order?

It sounds strange but i was only able to cancel one of the books as the other had gone through already. But i re-ordered "The Boys from the Mersey" and that should be with some sometime late this week. Bloody amazon made me select first-class delivery for "Here We Go Gathering Cups In May". I got it today though. Read the first couple of pages and i am already loving the whole idea of it.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #211: Jul 04, 2010 08:39:08 am
      Reading the latest Jeffrey Archer- And thereby hangs a tale. Pretty decent i must say.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #212: Jul 08, 2010 05:32:29 pm
      Team of Rivals

About Abraham Lincoln. Brilliant.
      Harry_Beadles
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      • He who laughs last didn't get it.
      Reply #213: Jul 08, 2010 11:17:17 pm
      The Ball Is Round by David Goldblatt best football book i have ever read. It's a global history of football. It gose through the different playing style of counties, the politics that affected football in the county and the development from a rich people's game to a working class game to a corporate game.
      I would recommend this to any football fan. An absolute must if your an anorak (like me).
      Dizzy Munchkin
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 538 posts | 17 
      Reply #214: Jul 09, 2010 07:23:51 pm
      Prayer For The Dead  & Sanctuary  - Faye Kellerman  
      Dial M For Merde - Stephen Clark
      The Rides Back On - Dave Courtney
      Spring Time In Germany (Or How I Learn To love Leadenhosen) - Ben Donald
      Cellist Of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway
      The Trafficked - Lee Weeks
      204 Rosewood Lane -Debbie Macomber
      Echo Burning - Lee Child
      Red Riding 1974- David Peace

Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #215: Jul 26, 2010 05:12:10 pm
      Just finished reading "Here We Go Gathering Cups in May". Brilliant book. Fully recommend it to anyone, especially, if your like me, if your born after 1990. Loved all the stories from it. I suppose the only negative aspect of it is that, at times, it made me feel like i wasn't a true supporter as i am not from Liverpool. Especially the chapter on Athens in 2007. Suppose i am just being stupid though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #216: Jul 27, 2010 01:04:47 pm
      Just finished reading "Here We Go Gathering Cups in May". Brilliant book. Fully recommend it to anyone, especially, if your like me, if your born after 1990. Loved all the stories from it. I suppose the only negative aspect of it is that, at times, it made me feel like i wasn't a true supporter as i am not from Liverpool. Especially the chapter on Athens in 2007. Suppose i am just being stupid though.

Edxcellent book and the first two chapters are F***ing brilliant, especially Wembley 78 by Nicky Allt, had me crying with laughter.

That, Boys From The Mersey and 43 Years With The Same Bird are brilliant books from which to learn the ways of the old scouse!!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #217: Jul 27, 2010 01:43:47 pm
      Finally read High Fidelity - Nick Hornby, been meaning to get it for years as i love the film.

What a brilliant read. I love the way he writes, and being a guy that thinks about relationships and stuff a lot i felt a lot of myself in the character (apart from the age :D )
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #218: Jul 28, 2010 12:50:07 am
      Finally read High Fidelity - Nick Hornby, been meaning to get it for years as I love the film.

What a brilliant read. I love the way he writes, and being a guy that thinks about relationships and stuff a lot I felt a lot of myself in the character (apart from the age :D )

Nice one, Dave. Loved that one, too.

Been doing a lot of personal reading while there are no classes. Only a month or so left unfortunately. Right now I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemna. It's frightening how industry has shaped our diet.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #219: Jul 28, 2010 12:55:30 am
      Finally read High Fidelity - Nick Hornby, been meaning to get it for years as I love the film.

What a brilliant read. I love the way he writes, and being a guy that thinks about relationships and stuff a lot I felt a lot of myself in the character (apart from the age :D )

Just started readin Fever Pitch , I might give High Fidelity a go next ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #220: Jul 28, 2010 12:47:21 pm
      Wanna get hold of Fever Pitch next! Let us know how it is :) And deffo get on High Fidelity when ya done, brilliant. Can't say it enough.

Got myself a John Steinbeck to read now, though i may flick through some of my other books i have here while im home in Oz to see what i have.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #221: Jul 28, 2010 01:18:15 pm
      Anyone ever read Red Men:Liverpool Football Club - The Biography by John Williams??

Ive just ordered Boys From The Mersey and it came up as a recommendation.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #222: Jul 28, 2010 01:31:28 pm
      I'm half way through Monster at the moment. So far its a really good read. Autobiography about an LA gangster Sanyika Shakur.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #223: Jul 28, 2010 02:25:17 pm
      Wanna get hold of Fever Pitch next! Let us know how it is :) And deffo get on High Fidelity when ya done, brilliant. Can't say it enough.

Got myself a John Steinbeck to read now, though I may flick through some of my other books I have here while im home in Oz to see what I have.

It's a good read, Dave, and no doubt a crap movie (I refuse to watch it on two points - Jimmy Fallon & the Red Sox). About the book, though, it's non-fiction and a lot more straight-forward than his fiction.

John Steinbeck, eh? Inspired by your time in Monterey?
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,276 posts | 799 
      Reply #224: Jul 29, 2010 10:16:46 am
      Just after reading Brian Reades '43 years with the same bird'
      I hate reading books, but my word, I thoroughly enjoyed this one! Absolutely a must 'Reade'  ( ;) ) for all Liverpool fans!
      Love his column in the Mirror too, funny git so he is!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #225: Jul 29, 2010 06:05:45 pm
      Just finished Ranulph Fiennes autobiography "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know".

A brilliant read, he's an eccentric adventurer for those who dont know and he really pushes human endeavour to the limit.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #226: Aug 03, 2010 03:11:38 pm
      Currently reading "My Father Was A Freedom Fighter - Gazas Untold Story". By Ramzy Baroud. Not got too far through it yet but, enjoying what I've read so far.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,183 posts | 1634 
      Reply #227: Aug 07, 2010 09:50:09 pm
      Just finished reading 'American Psycho'. Really well written book, even if you don't actually like the story, you can't argue with how the author has portrayed the characters, and really got their personalities across and out of the book.

And it's bloody gory, and got a dark sense of humour which makes it even better!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #228: Aug 08, 2010 01:38:16 pm
      It's a good read, Dave, and no doubt a crap movie (I refuse to watch it on two points - Jimmy Fallon & the Red Sox). About the book, though, it's non-fiction and a lot more straight-forward than his fiction.

John Steinbeck, eh? Inspired by your time in Monterey?

Yeah :D Just heard his name ALOT there, as you would know, so thought id see what his stuff was about. Though i have not been reading too much the last couple weeks with being busy, so haven't got into it too much yet.
      ozgooner
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 697 posts |
      • P-38 W-26 D-12 L-0 'Victoria Concordia Crescit'
      Reply #229: Aug 11, 2010 05:15:48 am
      I finally finished readin Fever Pitch . What a great read , for any fan of our great game . Maybe it should be compulsory reading for "the we haven't won anything in 5 years , so sack Wenger etc." Arsenal supporters that seem to be gaining in numbers dramatically . It might serve as a wake up call to em and they might realise we have gone far , far longer without trophies .

Quick Reply