Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The best book you have read recently

Read 149409 times
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Re: The best book you have read recently
      Reply #805: Feb 04, 2017 03:33:26 am
      I am currently reading Gerrard My Autobiography. I got it as a Christmas from a ciworker.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #806: Feb 04, 2017 04:37:39 am
      I recently read the book "The Emperor" by Ryszard Kapuscinski. While I was intrigued by the author and what he did behind the iron curtain, the book is supposedly the biography of Haile Selassie and it is definitely not completely accurate. It is written in a style - magical journalism - that is unique to the author. It is also the story of The Polish government of the 70s camouflaged as the biography of Selassie. It does provide an insight into the personality of a dictator, his sycophants, and the way both think. I am not sure if the book truly reflects the way Ethiopian people think because many in Ethiopia still revere him and the entire Rastafarian revolution was inspired by him (I think).
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #807: Feb 05, 2017 08:19:16 pm
      Finished scar tissue, best autobiography I've ever read

Just downloaded this on the back of your recommend.

If anybody wants a pdf version for their phone DM me your number and I'll what's app it over to you.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #808: Feb 06, 2017 05:22:33 pm
      Just finished reading Bruce Springsteen 'born to run'.
      Very open,honest & frank book which I thoroughly enjoyed & one I would recommend.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #809: Feb 06, 2017 08:25:07 pm
      Just downloaded this on the back of your recommend.

If anybody wants a pdf version for their phone DM me your number and I'll what's app it over to you.

No pressure on me then :D
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #810: Feb 22, 2017 10:15:26 am
      Got a copy of Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence people.

book was written in 1937, and so far it's an eye opener, some really good points and approaches that we should practice for a better and healthier social life style.

;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #811: Feb 22, 2017 10:50:01 am
      Dave Magowans new book, Gow from on here, is out and I'd recommend a look as I've read the first two.

Journey is the name and is the follow up to Arrival.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #812: Feb 23, 2017 01:04:27 am
      Just finished reading Bruce Springsteen 'born to run'.
      Very open,honest & frank book which I thoroughly enjoyed & one I would recommend.

Finished this last week. Such a great account and gives you an even greater appreciation and perspective of his music. He really made his hometown of Freehold and all the important characters around his life alive for the reader.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #813: Mar 02, 2017 09:46:26 pm
      Dave Magowans new book, Gow from on here, is out and I'd recommend a look as I've read the first two.

Journey is the name and is the follow up to Arrival.

Good shout that.

It's here
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Book-Two-alien-invasion-ebook/dp/B06WVGDDMK/

Surprised he hasn't been on to give it a plug actually!

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #814: May 07, 2017 07:55:29 am
      Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K Dick.

Basis for Blade Runner. Great book. I went to sleep pissed as a motherfucker one night and started philosophising on the theory of if god existed (I'm an atheist but), then whether humans are just gods androids, and therefore do androids then see us as god etc etc. :D My sleepy wife was not amused, lots of "Okay babe, okay" stuff.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #815: May 09, 2017 05:52:22 pm
      But gone downs different route for my next one and am reading Nelson Mandela's memoirs, Long walk to Freedom. Just got to when he's moved to Jo'burg and started to realise the injustices he had to face every day as a black man. Fascinating read so far and I'm sure the rest will be the same.

My mum has got that on her Kindle, still haven't got round to borrowing it to have a read. She was saying the other day she is thinking of getting the new Bob Paisley book.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #816: May 09, 2017 06:20:06 pm
      Good shout that.

It's here
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Book-Two-alien-invasion-ebook/dp/B06WVGDDMK/

Surprised he hasn't been on to give it a plug actually!

Does it come with tin foil ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #817: May 10, 2017 03:24:14 pm

Do you need a spoon too?  >:D
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #818: May 15, 2017 12:46:54 pm
      If anyone is interested in psychology give this a go

Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman

In the international bestseller, Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman, the renowned psychologist and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. The impact of overconfidence on corporate strategies, the difficulties of predicting what will make us happy in the future, the profound effect of cognitive biases on everything from playing the stock market to planning our next vacationā€”each of these can be understood only by knowing how the two systems shape our judgments and decisions.

Engaging the reader in a lively conversation about how we think, Kahneman reveals where we can and cannot trust our intuitions and how we can tap into the benefits of slow thinking. He offers practical and enlightening insights into how choices are made in both our business and our personal livesā€”and how we can use different techniques to guard against the mental glitches that often get us into trouble. Winner of the National Academy of Sciences Best Book Award and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and selected by The New York Times Book Review as one of the ten best books of 2011, Thinking, Fast and Slow is destined to be a classic.

Started reading it, it starts off really well, loads of good information.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #819: Jul 27, 2017 11:57:03 pm
      Finished reading The Power of the Dog before by Don Winslow; the best book I've read in years. Can't recommend it enough.

Same fella that did Savages and The Winter of Frankie Machine but Power of the Dog beats the pair of them easy.

Here's a review I found online for anyone interested: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2005/jun/18/featuresreviews.guardianreview32

Just ordered the sequel, The Cartel, and I can't wait for it to get here.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #820: Jul 28, 2017 05:34:26 am
      Finished reading The Power of the Dog before by Don Winslow; the best book I've read in years. Can't recommend it enough.

Same fella that did Savages and The Winter of Frankie Machine but Power of the Dog beats the pair of them easy.

Here's a review I found online for anyone interested: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2005/jun/18/featuresreviews.guardianreview32

Just ordered the sequel, The Cartel, and I can't wait for it to get here.

Funny this gets posted now, just watched the film Savages last night which directed me to this fellas books. Will have to give this one a crack, cheers!
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #821: Jul 28, 2017 05:49:22 am
      Funny this gets posted now, just watched the film Savages last night which directed me to this fellas books. Will have to give this one a crack, cheers!

Haven't seen Savages mate but it supposedly doesn't measure up to the book.

He's sold the rights to Power of the Dog now too. My mate reckons De Niro said he wanted a part in it years ago before it'd even been bought by a film company.

Let us know what you think.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #822: Jul 29, 2017 08:34:26 pm
      Got a copy of Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence people.

book was written in 1937, and so far it's an eye opener, some really good points and approaches that we should practice for a better and healthier social life style.

;D

The audio book is really good of this also
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #823: Sep 10, 2017 06:15:25 pm
      Currently reading the Billion Dollar App, which basically takes you through the process of how apps are formed and then delivered and managed once it's out there.

Author is some guy who designed the app Hailo (which I've never heard of but sounds like a rip off of Uber to me).

Don't know why I bought it because I'm not a tech guy but it's actually very interesting ...now I just need a billion dollar idea and I'm set :D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #824: Sep 10, 2017 06:28:04 pm
      Currently reading the Billion Dollar App, which basically takes you through the process of how apps are formed and then delivered and managed once it's out there.

Author is some guy who designed the app Hailo (which I've never heard of but sounds like a rip off of Uber to me).

Don't know why I bought it because I'm not a tech guy but it's actually very interesting ...now I just need a billion dollar idea and I'm set :D

Whatever makes you appy
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #825: Sep 10, 2017 07:08:19 pm
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #826: Sep 13, 2017 07:51:27 am
      Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K Dick.

Basis for Blade Runner. Great book. I went to sleep pissed as a motherfucker one night and started philosophising on the theory of if god existed (I'm an atheist but), then whether humans are just gods androids, and therefore do androids then see us as god etc etc. :D My sleepy wife was not amused, lots of "Okay babe, okay" stuff.
      Not sure if you can get  the UK channel 'channel 4' in aus mate but this may be of interest to you and maybe a few other scfi fans,due to be broadcast in the UK this Sunday 17th September,it's also being aired in the U.S via Amazon U.S.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #827: Sep 13, 2017 11:44:10 am
      Not sure if you can get  the UK channel 'channel 4' in aus mate but this may be of interest to you and maybe a few other scfi fans,due to be broadcast in the UK this Sunday 17th September,it's also being aired in the U.S via Amazon U.S.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams

Cheers mate, have noted that one! It's on a streaming service over here, a Netflix type one - will sign up for a month or two when I know I'll have the time to watch and give it a crack, looking forward to it!

Just read Man in the High Castle by Dick as well, enjoyed Electric Sheep more but certainly still very good. Now reading Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice!

Quick Reply