Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The best book you have read recently

Read 149445 times
      jimmy_
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Re: The best book you have read recently
      Reply #782: Nov 23, 2014 08:35:54 am
      The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,
      "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

He tries to capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation…

I like it…!!!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #783: Nov 24, 2014 10:55:22 pm
      the prince by niccolo machiavelli , frightening how alot of what he wrote almost 500 years ago still applies in politics
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #784: Mar 12, 2015 08:28:25 pm
      Truly saddened to hear of Terry Pratchett's passing today.

His books have given me hundreds of laughs since I started reading them as a 16 year old
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #785: Jun 08, 2015 10:33:55 pm
      Considering I started this thread, I very rarely post in it!

Read another Jack Reacher book 'tripwire'. Grips you straight away but is basically the same as any later Jack Reacher novel.

Currently halfway through Mike Tysons autobiography 'undisputed truth' and it is hands down the most interesting autobiography I've ever read, he's had one screwed up life.

Got Anthony Kiedis (lead singer of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers) autobiography to read next which I hear is superb.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #786: Jun 08, 2015 11:03:48 pm
      Finished Gow's latest book a while back 'From The Sky' and it's a great read and the beggining of three part alien invasion triolgy so I'm looking forward to him getting the second one finished.

For those of you newer members Gow, David McGowan used to be a regular on here and took up writing novels. I'm pretty sure Cas, JD and a few others are friendly with him.

Well worth checking out and give him some support especially if your into that type of story. His first novel 'The Hunter Inside' is a cracker with his Shimasou creation a real chiller.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #787: Aug 14, 2015 07:22:06 pm
      Anybody here read J.K. Rowling's crime fiction using the pseudonym Robert Galbraith? The first two Cormoran Strike novels, "The Cuckoo's Calling" and "The Silkworm," were superb, while the third, "Career of Evil," is coming out in October. I highly recommend them.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #788: Oct 06, 2015 10:21:45 pm

Just finished this....a must read for any LFC fan, a great insight into Suarez.

Great book by Jimmy Case, brought back some outstanding memories of the good times, some of the stories were hilarious, again a great read for reds.

My next book is this....

Can't wait to get stuck into this one..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #789: Oct 22, 2015 04:03:03 pm
      I've read all six books I brought with me, to Turkey.  Yes, they were only a couple of hundred pages long and Star Trek books and only one was really, really good, The Entropy Effect, if your interested. This lack of material led me to download a comic book, The Wicked And The Divine.  I'm hooked, it was recommended to me, by someone who knows I'm not a huge comic guy, but the story has me hooked.  Even has me re-reading it which, for me, is unheard of.  You kind of have no choice, as the story evolves, it changes what you've read. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #790: Oct 22, 2015 06:34:51 pm
      Just finished The Martian, and it's a pretty good book, spoiled only slightly by seemingly being written with the big screen in mind.

I always try to read the book before watching a film based on it, because that way I have something to moan about when it turns out to be not as good.
      Not that I need a reason  :laugh:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #791: Oct 23, 2015 06:48:30 pm
      On my way to reading around 40 books this year if I'm not mistaken!

The best ones would be:

- Andrea Pirlo's autobiography
      Which was made even better for the fact I read itduring my visit to Italy on New Year's Eve!

- The Spanish Civil War: A Very Short Introduction (Helen Graham)
      As the title says, a short introduction to a historical event I've always had some interest about. Very solid introductory reading.

- Thomas Paine's Rights of Man: A Biography (Christopher Hitchens)
      An analysis of the most famous book by my favorite founding father of the USA!

- We Have Always Lived in the Castle (Shirley Jackson)
      A strange, a bit sinister yet delightful novel I'd highly recommend to anyone.

- Johnny Cook: The Impossible Job (Iain Macintosh)
      A fictitious account of an improbable football manager trying to do the impossible to save his club from relegation. Easy reading and quite funny. I wish there were more 'football fiction' books!

- Sport in Capitalist Society: A Short History (Tony Collins)
      Professor Collins is one of the best and most knowledgeable sports historians. This is a short book which encompasses a broad time frame and many of the most important topics in the history of sports. A superb read.

- The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections (Neil Gaiman)
      All Sandman volumes are great, but this one was particularly good. Even Thomas Paine (subject of one of the other books I read this year) had an appearance in one of the stories!

- The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Georges Simenon)
      One of the things I did this year was finish reading all of the Sherlock Holmes stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. So I've now started looking for new detective stories to replace Holmes in my reading habits and Georges Simenon's Inspector Maigret is a very strong candidate.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #792: Dec 18, 2015 11:32:45 am
      Having heard countless quotes from his book from various "motivational speakers" - biggest scam going in making a easy Buck btw.

I have finally got round to start reading Victor Frankl's - Mans search for meaning.

It really is a truly inspirational read. Would highly recommend it to all.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #793: Dec 18, 2015 11:42:14 am
      Having heard countless quotes from his book from various "motivational speakers" - biggest scam going in making a easy Buck btw.

I have finally got round to start reading Victor Frankl's - Mans search for meaning.

It really is a truly inspirational read. Would highly recommend it to all.

I bought it for my mother a couple of years ago. She is a psychologist so I thought she would enjoy it. Not sure if she has actually read it though!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #794: Dec 19, 2015 08:21:03 pm
      Water from the heart by Charles Martin
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #795: Oct 08, 2016 02:54:46 pm
      Reading Jason McAteer's auto, 'Blood, Sweat and Jason McAteer'. Poor name for a book but a really enjoyable read so far.

Moving onto Andre Agassi's next.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #796: Oct 08, 2016 03:01:04 pm
      Reading Jason McAteer's auto, 'Blood, Sweat and Jason McAteer'. Poor name for a book but a really enjoyable read so far.

Moving onto Andre Agassi's next.

Agassi's was probably the best autobiography I've read from an athlete of any sport. I really liked him when I was younger and reading it made me want to watch him again.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #797: Oct 08, 2016 03:21:22 pm
      Agassi's was probably the best autobiography I've read from an athlete of any sport. I really liked him when I was younger and reading it made me want to watch him again.

Same as you, I loved him when I was younger. Heard a few people saying that it is a great auto so I'm looking forward to it.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #798: Oct 09, 2016 08:55:10 am
      Am about half way through 'scar tissue', Anthony Kiedis autobiography (lead singer of the chili peppers).

Great read, very honest but he should really be locked up for some of the things in there, openly admits to sleeping with a 14 year old at one point.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #799: Oct 09, 2016 08:18:48 pm
      Am about half way through 'scar tissue', Anthony Kiedis autobiography (lead singer of the chili peppers).

Great read, very honest but he should really be locked up for some of the things in there, openly admits to sleeping with a 14 year old at one point.

Really? I've never been a big fan of the group but neither do I dislike them but I'd be interested in reading that book.

May give it a go after Agassi's.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #800: Oct 10, 2016 06:19:30 pm
      Really? I've never been a big fan of the group but neither do I dislike them but I'd be interested in reading that book.

May give it a go after Agassi's.

Would definitely recommend it mate, there is no sugar coating in it. Had had a F***ing weird upbringing that guy did. 

Only about halfway through at the moment they're just about to hit the big time. Will post an update once I've finished it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #801: Oct 10, 2016 10:51:41 pm
      Agree on Anthony Keidis autobiography.

One of the best I've read.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #802: Jan 23, 2017 11:05:41 pm
      "A Monster Calls" is a beautiful book. The film is good as well, but as is often the case, I preferred the book. It's supposedly a book for teenagers or "young adults" but I'm not sure if I agree. I would have loved to have read it when I was 13, but I'm not sure every 13 year old is prepared to read this emotionally intense sort of stuff. For me it's very easy to relate to the story - a young boy whose mother has cancer - because my mum had cancer at around the same time in my life.

This year I've also read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and it was hilarious. Douglas Adams is one of my favourite writers of all time.

Now I'm currently reading "The Gunslinger", the first book of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. I'm halfway through the book and though I'm enjoying the style, I still don't understand much. Still a long way to go in the series (7 books in total if I'm not mistaken) so a lot to happen yet.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #803: Feb 02, 2017 08:28:00 pm
      Finished scar tissue, best autobiography I've ever read.

But gone downs different route for my next one and am reading Nelson Mandela's memoirs, Long walk to Freedom. Just got to when he's moved to Jo'burg and started to realise the injustices he had to face every day as a black man. Fascinating read so far and I'm sure the rest will be the same.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #804: Feb 03, 2017 11:36:46 am
      "A Monster Calls" is a beautiful book. The film is good as well, but as is often the case, I preferred the book. It's supposedly a book for teenagers or "young adults" but I'm not sure if I agree. I would have loved to have read it when I was 13, but I'm not sure every 13 year old is prepared to read this emotionally intense sort of stuff. For me it's very easy to relate to the story - a young boy whose mother has cancer - because my mum had cancer at around the same time in my life.

This year I've also read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and it was hilarious. Douglas Adams is one of my favourite writers of all time.

Now I'm currently reading "The Gunslinger", the first book of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. I'm halfway through the book and though I'm enjoying the style, I still don't understand much. Still a long way to go in the series (7 books in total if I'm not mistaken) so a lot to happen yet.

Netflix have turned Dirk Gently into a series :)

Quick Reply