Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The best book you have read recently

Read 149396 times
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Re: The best book you have read recently
      Reply #828: Nov 26, 2017 08:38:11 pm
      Mark Bowden’s new one about the battle for Hue 1968 is pretty good, not nearly as exciting as Blackhawk, but he gives a lot of coverge to the Vietnamese viewpoint so its well balanced.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #829: Jan 10, 2018 05:59:17 am
      Don't think I've ever gone so long without finishing a full book. Been starting and then leaving them for a good couple of years now which is totally down to time. By the time it's my time after work and doing what I've got to do with the kids I'm either too tired or end up filling the time with other stuff so reading misses out.

Just started and I am going to make a real effort to finish:

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

No Hunger in Paradise by Michael Calvin

Two at a time should help my situation, right?

😦
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #830: Oct 16, 2018 04:33:50 am
      Currently reading The Presidents Keepers by Jaaques Pauw.

He’s an investigative journalist who has written a book that uncovers the unbelievable levels of corruption in South Africa and specifically how the president is linked to it all.

The State Security Agency (I guess the South Africa equivalent of MI5) have actually tried, and failed, to prevent the release of the book.

It’s unbelievable stuff that makes you think how much must go on behind the scenes around the world as I’m sure South Africa isn’t the only place you could consider a ‘mafia state’.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #831: Nov 07, 2018 02:36:13 pm
      Have gotten hooked on Sci Fi :)  / going thro a phase.
      Never really read any of them until recently, but got Alastair Reynold's 'The Prefect' as a present and really liked it   [has been rereleased as 'Aurora Rising'].  Then read a couple more of his  [eg. Elysium Fire, Revenger] but they weren't as good, though might go back to him later  [someone said the Chasm City series is good]

Then one of the lads in work gave me 'Pandora's Star' [Peter F. Hamilton] and think it's better again.  Its a bit of a tome at 1100 pages, and the first of a two book series - but am reading it now and planning to finish both of them [think next is 'Judas Unchained'] before moving on...
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #832: Nov 07, 2018 02:42:03 pm
      Just finished reading Bruce Springsteen 'born to run'.
      Very open,honest & frank book which I thoroughly enjoyed & one I would recommend.

Heard it was really good, but I've never read a biography and not planning to any time soon. But if I do, this is a the top of my list. Listen to Bruce all the time in the motor - class act.    CDs!!, remember them...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #833: Jan 05, 2019 11:47:17 pm
      Sapiens: A brief history of Humankind.

Finally got round to reading this great book reciting the evolution and development of humans.

Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #834: Jan 07, 2019 08:01:55 am
      Heard it was really good, but I've never read a biography and not planning to any time soon. But if I do, this is a the top of my list. Listen to Bruce all the time in the motor - class act.    CDs!!, remember them...
      CD’s !!! Still spinning vinyl me mate 🤣🤣,seriously though You should give it a read mate,I have read a fair few  biographies mainly music artists and this one  is right up there ,it’s quite lengthy at 500+ pages
      & currently only £17 for the hardback on Amazon so quite a bargain.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #835: Jan 07, 2019 01:48:02 pm
      Someone recommended "The Circle" by Dave Eggers to me.

I saw the film, and it was pretty good, but I've never read anything by this author.
      Anyone read him?
      Any good?
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #836: Feb 12, 2019 11:03:33 am
      Currently reading ‘The monk who sold his Ferrari’ by Robin Sharma.

Good read about strategies for personal development but in a fictional, almost story telling format. Would definitely recommend if you’re into that sort of thing.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #837: Feb 12, 2019 11:16:28 am
      Sapiens: A brief history of Humankind.

Finally got round to reading this great book reciting the evolution and development of humans.

Have you read Yuval's other book? Homo Deus? I would recommend that one once you finish with Sapiens. He does repeat some things from Sapiens but then he goes in depth about the future of humanity, it's quite grim and a bit exciting to be honest!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #838: Feb 12, 2019 11:20:52 am
      Currently reading the Billion Dollar App, which basically takes you through the process of how apps are formed and then delivered and managed once it's out there.

Author is some guy who designed the app Hailo (which I've never heard of but sounds like a rip off of Uber to me).

Don't know why I bought it because I'm not a tech guy but it's actually very interesting ...now I just need a billion dollar idea and I'm set :D

To be honest mate, best books on tips and making a few dosh are probably the old school Warren Buffett type books. Buffett was Benjamin Graham's student and BG wrote a book called the intelligent investor. Not sure if you've heard of it or read it? I've gone 4 chapters in and it's fantastic. Definitely a good knowledge base if you are interested on having some cash for your retirement :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #839: Feb 12, 2019 11:51:44 am
      Have you read Yuval's other book? Homo Deus? I would recommend that one once you finish with Sapiens. He does repeat some things from Sapiens but then he goes in depth about the future of humanity, it's quite grim and a bit exciting to be honest!

Yes mate finished and really enjoyed it.
      Thanks for the recommendation will have to hunt it out.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #840: Feb 12, 2019 04:36:46 pm
      Yes mate finished and really enjoyed it.
      Thanks for the recommendation will have to hunt it out.

You are more than welcome. If you are still interested in these type of topics, I would also recommend  a book by Jared Diamond called Guns Germs and Steel (I think I recommended it in this thread, not sure where). It's a bit similar to sapiens but the author's aim is going more into depth about how Europeans/Mesopotamia conquered the world and why the indigenous people of South/North America, Australia and Africa failed to do so.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #841: Feb 12, 2019 04:41:24 pm
      You are more than welcome. If you are still interested in these type of topics, I would also recommend  a book by Jared Diamond called Guns Germs and Steel (I think I recommended it in this thread, not sure where). It's a bit similar to sapiens but the author's aim is going more into depth about how Europeans/Mesopotamia conquered the world and why the indigenous people of South/North America, Australia and Africa failed to do so.

:gt-happyup:

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #842: Feb 25, 2019 07:51:26 pm
      The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Currently in the 4th book and loving every bit of it.

There were moments, especially in the 2nd book, in which I wondered wether I really wanted to persevere with the series (it's a long series of really long books) but I'm glad I did. It keeps getting better. What an incredible mind and storyteller is King. Out of this world.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #843: Feb 25, 2019 08:53:57 pm
      To be honest mate, best books on tips and making a few dosh are probably the old school Warren Buffett type books. Buffett was Benjamin Graham's student and BG wrote a book called the intelligent investor. Not sure if you've heard of it or read it? I've gone 4 chapters in and it's fantastic. Definitely a good knowledge base if you are interested on having some cash for your retirement :D

Cheers mate, I haven’t heard of that but will add it to my list.

Finished ‘the monk who sold his Ferrari’ and intend to finish ‘The Presidents Keepers’ now (which I started ages ago) before moving onto ‘The Alchemist’.

Used to do a lot of reading so am trying to get it back into my daily life.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #844: Mar 03, 2019 07:37:13 pm
      If you're into fantasy books then give The Lies of Locke Lamora a chance. It's a bit like Ocean's Eleven but set in a fictionalised version of medieval Veneza. Such a fun read. I'm now currently onto the 2nd book of the series.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #845: Mar 04, 2019 05:14:02 am
      Finished The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari. Very good and enjoyable read with a lot of tips on how to features your life and learning to change your perspective on things.

Have The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho to read next, which I’ve heard very good things about.
      Quickness6
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #846: Jun 11, 2019 05:06:45 pm
      Mr Van Hoogstraten - easily the best book I have read in a while. You can learn about life,business and money.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #847: Aug 26, 2019 02:16:23 pm
      Anyone read Allez Allez Allez or Ring of Fire? Both by Simon Hughes and obviously about our European cup  wins in 2005 and 2019.

Got a lend of them off the brother to read by the pool on holidays.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #848: Aug 27, 2019 11:51:01 pm
      Anyone read Allez Allez Allez or Ring of Fire? Both by Simon Hughes and obviously about our European cup  wins in 2005 and 2019.

Got a lend of them off the brother to read by the pool on holidays.

Ring of Fire is about the entire decade (he's got a good line of books in this vein with Red Machine covering the 80's and Men in White Suits covering the 90's) - having read them all I can highly recommend. Each chapter is an interview with a different player from that decade, some you wouldn't expect but have a great story to tell. Ring of Fire is great and of course the Champions League part is a great read, but isn't that alone. The Torres interview is brilliant and really puts some player context into how fu**ed up that entire period of time for our club was. Haven't read Allez Allez Allez yet but without a doubt I'm sure it'll be a good one ;D
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #849: Aug 28, 2019 09:27:38 am
      The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Currently in the 4th book and loving every bit of it.

There were moments, especially in the 2nd book, in which I wondered wether I really wanted to persevere with the series (it's a long series of really long books) but I'm glad I did. It keeps getting better. What an incredible mind and storyteller is King. Out of this world.

My favourite series of books ever it does keep getting better Diego. I was gutted when i finished them as I loved it so much.

There was a touching story attached to this as well. SK started writing the early books years ago and sort of left it on the back burner and when he started them up again and got onto the third or fourth book an elderly lady wrote to SK to say can he hurry up and finish the series as she didn't have long to live. He replied to say he would try his best but unfortunately couldn't and she didn't get to read them.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #850: Aug 28, 2019 03:59:43 pm
      The Dresden Files.

Top notch fantasy pulp.

Quick Reply