Trending Topics

Dalglish: We HAD to spend £100m just to get Liverpool back on track

Read 6789 times
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: Dalglish: We HAD to spend £100m just to get Liverpool back on track
      Reply #23: Aug 05, 2011 03:26:49 pm
      Interesting there aren't many column inches on the 50+m the scum have spent this transfer window, but everyone's talking about Liverpool's 'spending spree' this year. F***ing hate the media. These scumbags are truly tarnishing good journalists name out there (and there are few).

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Aug 05, 2011 03:30:57 pm
      There's an article I'd love to see written. 50 million on Young, Jones and DeGea and how in truth their squad is weeker than last season
      Weaker. . . Before I get corrected. Not with it at all today
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #25: Aug 05, 2011 04:08:13 pm
      Ignoring that, Liverpool are back and spending in the transfer windows. Deal with it you manc loving media.
      I agree with this so much. :gt-happyup:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Aug 05, 2011 04:09:35 pm
      At least kenny got the 50 odd million to spend that we made from babel & torres sales.

Previous kunts in charge would have used it to pay off interest on loans !
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #27: Aug 05, 2011 05:31:32 pm
      The thing is Mick , that although we were piss poor so were the rest , if kenny had taken over instead of RH I think we could have won the title as crazy as it sounds.

I don't think we would have won it, but we might have finished fourth or fifth. We might have won it with Kenny a couple of years before that, but not last year IMHO.  
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #28: Aug 05, 2011 05:47:00 pm
      I don't think we would have won it, but we might have finished fourth or fifth. We might have won it with Kenny a couple of years before that, but not last year IMHO. 

I agree mate, with Gerrard being injured most of the season, and with Jovanovic and Cole being the major players coming in not performing and with little money to strengthen, he may have done better than Konchesky and Poulsen or even Meireles with the money but probably not enough to make such a difference to the squad.

I am grateful enough for what he did achieve with some of the poor players he was left, to ask for more from him than perhaps 4th last season would be pushing it a bit too far imo.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #29: Aug 05, 2011 07:44:43 pm
      Yes although people didn't like it when he said it, Hodgson was right about the squad being less than strong when he took over. He didn't make the best use of it, but teams don't finish 7th and then 6th in the league if they are very good, and we weren't very good.

The squad while not as good as it could be mick was nowhere near as bad as Hodgson made it out to be and he used it as an excuse for his own shortcomings in my opinion.

absolutevalueofa
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 05, 2011 09:30:49 pm
      I think Kenny did fantastically well to get us back on track last season... Whether the 100mill help us to get back on the bigger set of tracks in the bigger picture remains to be seen... Regardless, I would hope that we build on the positives we had at the club from last season (youngsters coming through, Meireles and Suarez having good seasons) and seasons gone by (Gerrard's attacking contributions, utilization of Kuyt against stronger sides) rather than try and transform the whole side via transfers...

Overall however, its great to see us back spending big money to compete at the top level.. Hopefully before the season kicks off we'll have all our targets signed up and we'll go into the season a stronger side..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #31: Aug 05, 2011 10:10:51 pm
      The squad while not as good as it could be mick was nowhere near as bad as Hodgson made it out to be and he used it as an excuse for his own shortcomings in my opinion.

Quite right, the squad Roy had at his disposal should never have flirted with the relegation zone.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #32: Aug 05, 2011 11:42:02 pm
      Quite right, the squad Roy had at his disposal should never have flirted with the relegation zone.

I agree, it felt like I was holding my breath for most of the time Roy was here waiting for him to get the team playing somewhere near the level they should have been capable of. By the time I finally gave up on him (Wolves at home) we should have shown some signs that things would improve.... they never looked remotely likely to unfortunately. Kenny coming in was like a breath of fresh air.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #33: Aug 06, 2011 01:37:16 am
      100m is a joke, lazy journalism is giving them a complement as its completely brainless. From the January we sold Keane we have been taking steps back.  As a club we should be spending over 20m a year minimum.  Instead we have kept the money from sales. We have spent about 40m this window.  We are still in my estimation behind if we had done our business properly since then, anyway that has nothing to do with John Henry and he has been breathe of fresh air.  
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: Aug 06, 2011 08:30:01 am
      The £57m we got for ladyboy and Babel makes all the difference. So basically we've spend just over £45m, £45.8 to be exact.

They don't even mention this £57m sale. F***ing journalists, always trying to show us off as cu*ts. Tbh, I don't care a F**k what they're reporting, we're in good hands with John W Henry and FSG, and that's all that counts.

I don't think that we'll win the title, but we're going to be in the mix challenging for that 4th spot, that's for sure. 
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #35: Aug 06, 2011 02:26:59 pm
      We definitely have undone some of the damage done by Hicks and Gillett, massive thanks to NESV/FSG   :gt-happyup:
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #36: Aug 06, 2011 09:01:20 pm
      So far, John Henry and NESV my life <3
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #37: Aug 07, 2011 06:37:09 pm
      I can see the media widning up for it already, 'Dalglish buys the title'

If I'm reading that headline come May, I'll be made up :D
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #38: Aug 07, 2011 07:40:44 pm
      Money well spent if u ask me,we have the players now to challenge,in all comps.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #39: Aug 07, 2011 08:51:47 pm
      Looking like we now have strength in depth, and can push on for honnors
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #40: Aug 08, 2011 12:07:23 am
      If I'm reading that headline come May, I'll be made up :D

Yep, if that ends up happening, the papers can say what they want!

And anyone who did doubt FSG shouldn't be so worried now.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #41: Aug 08, 2011 12:20:34 am
      One of the good things for Kenny is this season he pretty much has a new Gerrard a new Carroll to add to the additions and I'm confident we'll see at least 2 more signings (LB and CB). Don't think we're ready for the title yet though simply because we started so far behind, very confident of 4th, perhaps 3rd if one of the top 3 slip up a bit.

Add to our squad this year with a couple of stellar signings next season and we'll be very very close depending on who is then a little too old.

Personally hope Carra and Gerrard can play a role in our team next year and we win the league and Carra can bow out in the perfect way, we'll see though.

Quick Reply