Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Pre-Season Results - Do they ever mean anything?

Read 8734 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: Pre-Season Results - Do they ever mean anything?
      Reply #69: Aug 02, 2011 10:20:43 am
      We drew with Valarenga so that's almost guaranteed relegation. We should just sack KK now.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #70: Aug 02, 2011 06:12:15 pm
      Based on wathcing all of our pre-season games so far these are my thoughts:

- If we do not bring in another defender (or two) we will not be in the top 4 this season for goals conceded (I'm not saying we won't make top 4 overall) this coming season. You can argue Kenny has been trying different combinations at the back and that we have perhaps missed the defensive responsibility of Lucas in front of the back four BUT we've looked way off the pace no matter who has played there. Five consecutive games of conceding 3 goals is the headline that jumps out from pre-season. PLEASE can we stump up the cash to go after a Cahill, Shawcross or another blue chip CB prospect because it's the key to us having a good season.

- Like him or not, Aquilani has probably been the brightest player across the pre-season schedule. Must admit I'm a little bored of the endless debate about the lad but I'm really intrigued to see if he can get himself involved during the early part of the season and then somehow (against all the odds) turn his LFC career around. Seemingly we don't particular watn him and he dopesn't particular want to be here but you never know.

- Can we get away without bringing in a new left-back? Robinson has really impressed and has (for me) along with Aquailani been our most impressive performer based on the pre-season games. If making do with what we have at Left-Back meant we could spend the rest of the budget on a new centre-half I'm all for it. I think the young lad is up to it.

- Players who haven't quite looked up to last year's end of season form (for me) have been Kuyt, Martin Kelly and Jay Spearing.

- Of the new signings Downing jumps off the page as the one who can bring the most at this stage. Adam has shown a few flashes and Henderson looks like a very tidy, quick thinking footballer who has made a solid start so far.

- We need a fit Pepe Reina.

- We haven't yet figured out the best way to use Andy Carroll. he's been shorn of real support and we've failed to get bodies around him during pre-season despite the fact he's taken a couple of goals. It WON'T be enough to simply get the ball wide and deliver good crosses and he offers no pace in behind which has made us a little predictable going forward. That's 80's football and it doesn't cut it in the big leagues in this day and age.

- We are a VERY different proposition when Luis Suarez is not in the side. Given Gerrard's long-term health are we in danger of becoming a one-man team again?

- The Academy continues to show it's strength with young Connor Coady showing that he has a future at LFC with a strong pre-season. Also, a number of the under-18s (Silva, Ngoo, Morgan, Suso, Sterling) have had a solid pre-season stepping up to the reserve side.

- If the season started tomorrow Flanno would be my choice for RB ahead of both Johnson and Kelly.
      « Last Edit: Aug 02, 2011 06:19:33 pm by Scottbot »
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #71: Aug 02, 2011 07:15:50 pm
      Pre -season games are to try and achieve sharpness and see how the new lads gel together, so yes, for me they are important and i would like to see our first 11 play a few games together before we start our new season under a proper manager ! and not Woy !
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #72: Aug 02, 2011 07:50:35 pm
      I'm not a genius to lecture but I've learned, from my short footy career, that modern football is more like a chess today and every manager need pieces to place in his plans and that's the quality of pieces that play a big part. We've got talent and experience all in there and now it's up to KD and his assistant to get the best out of our boys and I've grown up to believe this man and everything he touches turns gold and I'll put my life on it once again to lift the trophy after such a long time waiting.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #73: Aug 02, 2011 10:01:52 pm
      I can remember the start of last season when Chelsea were on fire ,they were scoring just for fun ,then they went to sh*t, so i wouldn"t be too concerned about getting off to a flying start, a nice steady pace not to over do it, 1- 0 wins would do us lovely.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #74: Aug 02, 2011 10:10:27 pm
      I can remember the start of last season when Chelsea were on fire ,they were scoring just for fun ,then they went to sh*t, so I wouldn"t be too concerned about getting off to a flying start, a nice steady pace not to over do it, 1- 0 wins would do us lovely.

Good point.  I remember Villa started really well a couple of seasons back as they were playing early in the intertoto cup.  By January they were pretty much spent out.

I think in these times of technology the players fitness is monitored to be at the required level.  Tactics are worked on in training and there is a certain amount of cloak and dagger regarding starting XI's for the first game.  Pre season helps these things along.

The important ingredients to add on Aug 13 are the improved mental focus, the attitude and the increased commitment.  Things you don't get to the same level in friendlies.
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #75: Aug 04, 2011 10:59:09 pm
      http://live4liverpool.com/2011/08/view-from-the-kop/so-what-have-we-learnt-about-the-reds-this-pre-season

So what have we learnt about the Reds this pre-season?

Posted on Thursday, 4th August 2011 by Elliott Tunstall

(Liverpool in action during a Liverpool training session at Melwood Training Ground)

Pre-season is nearing its anticipated climax and with only one game remaining, it has been an interesting period and one which has bettered our knowledge of the squad as a whole. All of our friendly games so far have reminded Liverpool FC fans of the strengths and weaknesses of the current crop of players and what is potentially needed to rectify this before the window slams shut at the end of the month.

First and foremost, the one aspect that has been the most alarming factor of pre-season; the sloppiness and vulnerability of our defence. It is no secret that Liverpool have somehow managed to concede three goals in each and every one of their five friendlies so far. Conceding three goals has been no co-incidence either as it has been worryingly evident that some of our defenders just aren’t up to scratch and reinforcements are sorely needed.

Jamie Carragher and Soto Kyrgiakos, regardless of their individual abilities at the heart of the defence, are not getting any younger. Hopefully, Daniel Agger is getting fitter and gaining more endurance but there are no guarantees that Kenny Dalglish will get a full season out of the Dane. For me, Martin Skrtel has too many mistakes in his locker so a centre-back has definitely got to be brought in. I am not going to name any particular names as there has been too many linked with Liverpool already but we are in desperate need of a dominant figure to slot in at central defence, whether it be permanently or in a rotation policy.

During pre-season our midfield has looked impressive. All three new signings of Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing have stood out and all look like the type of player any supporter would like to see in their team. Downing provides Liverpool with the direct width we have been crying out for over the past decade and both Adam and Henderson look to be able to provide the creativity any team thrives on. Even some of the fringe players such as Alberto Aquilani and Joe Cole have excelled although I expect to see the midfield trimmed down before the transfer window shuts with the likes of Christian Poulsen, Aquilani and possibly Cole following Milan Jovanovic out the doors of Anfield to clear up some much needed funds. I fully expect Kenny to concentrate on defensive recruitment and feel as though all the midfield signings have been done for this particular window.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #76: Aug 07, 2011 06:57:44 am
      Why Liverpool and Arsenal fans should forget pre-season defeats and my fantasy team

By Robbie Savage - Published 23:11 04/08/11

Liverpool have shipped 15 in five pre-season games and Arsenal were booed off at the Emirates after conceding sloppy goals. And you know what? It doesn’t matter a bit.

Yes, both those teams need to sign commanding centre-halves but pre-season games are no indication of what is going to happen in the season.

While the long campaign is about how you perform and gel as a team, pre-season is about you as an individual. You’ve got to get as fit as you can and outperform your closest rivals in the squad to make sure you’re in that starting XI on opening day. The team ethic can wait.

So there is no real reason for concern at poor pre-season results. And no reason for United or City fans to get overexcited about Sunday’s Community Shield either.

Both managers will want to use the exercise to suss out their closest rivals - and I mean closest at the top of the the league now, as well as geographically - and for that reason neither will show their hand by playing their first-choice side.

Was at the Emirates last Sunday for ESPN and no sooner had I said on TV that Theo Walcott needed to work on the consistency of his crossing than the Arsenal ace collared me at half-time.

Theo said some nice things about me championing him over his ridiculous World Cup omission, but pointed out he’d set up Robin van Persie’s last eight goals and that crossing was becoming a strong suit of his game.

That showed what a passion for the game this kid has.

I’ve always thought Theo was a very good player. But if he can find his man 80 percent of the time rather than 50 percent, he can be a great one.

Cesc Fabregas noticed me sitting at ESPN’s on-pitch analysis desk and Tweeted: “Robbie Savage is in the corner where I nutmegged him a couple of seasons ago. He must like it.” He didn’t mention the centre circle, where I battered him year after year!

Here’s my fantasy team of the season: Hart (Man C); Bardsley (Sunderland), Woodgate (Stoke), W Brown (Sunderland), JA Riise (Fulham); Duff (Fulham), Silva, De Jong (both Man C), Ireland (Villa), Aguero (Man C), Suarez (Liverpool).

Aguero’s signing is the reason City will finish top two this season – they’ve shrugged off Carlos Tevez’s transfer request and replaced him with someone who I think is even better.

MirrorFootball

It's good to hear from a footballer point of view some truth about pre-season games.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #77: Aug 07, 2011 09:17:45 pm
      Robbie Savage =  :tosser:

Pre season results only matter if you win. If you don't, then they don't matter, bit like the Carling Cup.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #78: Aug 07, 2011 09:20:28 pm
      Yeah Robbie Savage talking about football is something along the same lines as Mike Tyson discussing the fine work of Isembard Kingdom Brunel, something just tells me to not put much weight into what they're saying.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #79: Aug 07, 2011 09:52:03 pm
      It matters to a certain extent. I remember the pre-season before Rafa's disastrous last year, and we were not very good at all - it worried me that there didn't seem to be a lot of cohesion and the team didn't look ready. And that came out in league play, unfortunately.

This pre-season has shown me that we are not yet where we need to be, but there is direction. I see the way Kenny wants us to play, im seeing some good signs. Defense needs work, but thats why we play these games. Kenny and co will keep working on the areas that need it, and keep trying to perfect the areas that are already looking good.

Pre-season is a lot of shuffling and youngsters yes, but it aint completely irrelevant to the season proper.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #80: Aug 07, 2011 11:28:07 pm
      The only real weak link has been our defense.

Get that sorted, including distribution, and we aren't badly set at all, especially considering the players to come back or get full fitness.

I want us to stop hitting it long though - it's OK to mix it up a bit, but frankly it's gone too far.

I would also like to see us press high up the pitch more, which should be less of a problem as players get their match fitness back.
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #81: Aug 08, 2011 08:01:26 am
      NO!!
      NO!! that is all!!

Quick Reply