Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Riise - Attacking Mid?

Read 3746 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Riise - Attacking Mid?
      Jul 01, 2007 12:33:38 pm
      I was just posting in another topic that Riises ability to score screamers doesn't make him a good left back, and it got me thinking. What are Riise's attributes? Personally I'd say:

Tackling: Good
      Passing: Good
      Dribbling:Good
      Short Range Shooting: Very Good
      Long Range Shooting: Excellent
      Defensive Positioning: Above Average
      Offensive Positioning: Very Good

Looking at this, I would say Riise's best position isn't even on the left at all, it's attacking midfield. At left back, too often he'll either get caught too high up the pitch, or be the man playing the striker onside. At left mid, he isn't great at going past players, and whilst his crossing is usually good, he doesn't get that many in. The style of player he is, I think he could fit in perfectly in the attacking mid role, coming from deep & hitting a few of those trademark screamers. Let's face it, great as those screamers are, as a left back he is well out of position when he takes those shots, and if the keeper saves it leaves us short at the back.

Just a thought, all opinions welcome.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Riise - Attacking Mid?
      Reply #1: Jul 01, 2007 12:43:44 pm
      I was just posting in another topic that Riises ability to score screamers doesn't make him a good left back, and it got me thinking. What are Riise's attributes? Personally I'd say:

Looking at this, I would say Riise's best position isn't even on the left at all, it's attacking midfield. At left back, too often he'll either get caught too high up the pitch, or be the man playing the striker onside. At left mid, he isn't great at going past players, and whilst his crossing is usually good, he doesn't get that many in. The style of player he is, I think he could fit in perfectly in the attacking mid role, coming from deep & hitting a few of those trademark screamers. Let's face it, great as those screamers are, as a left back he is well out of position when he takes those shots, and if the keeper saves it leaves us short at the back.

I'd agree with that, send your idea into Rafa!  I think if we do sign Heinze, Riise will either be on the bench or playing left mid.  Come to think of this, we have got. Aurelio, Gonzalez (soon to go?), and Kewell battling for a starting place.

Aurelio looked really impressive until he got injured, so he is one to look at.  Kewell is fit again, and looked sharp in the Asia cup.

We never know, this could be a whole new experience for John ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #2: Jul 01, 2007 12:47:20 pm
      Perhaps if all the positive attributes you give him become more consistent, he could play alongside  Stevie in the middle and become the next Paul Scholes.  Can't knock that. I wouldn't want to be behind one of his rockets that's for sure. Not a bad idea EddieC, if only we wern't allready over run with midfielders. Must be worth a try though.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 01, 2007 08:10:37 pm
      Sorry but I disagree.

I don't rate his tackling ability.Yes he would run around the park for 90 minutes but his long range goal scoring ratio is poor.

I rate him as a left sided winger running down the wing and delivering the ball into the box for our strikers to convert.

Stevie G is the more obvious choice of AM but I would agree we should consider recruiting another to back fill.With the release of Zenden we have an imbalance with DM and AM players.

Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #4: Jul 01, 2007 08:45:11 pm
      EddieC - can't you see that Riise's time is up?

Surely you can.  Do you think he's a first choice on the left who's capable of adding quality to a Championship side?

Sorry mate - he aint.  Okay, he's got a cracking left-foot and the guys got enough energy to last two weeks in Ibiza without sleep, but his lack of attributes are so clear to see.

1. He's a head-less chicken
      2. Predictable with his distribution
      3. Can he cross...not sure
      4. Too many long balls

A very good squad player...I hope Rafa agrees!
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Jul 01, 2007 10:27:58 pm
      Sorry but I disagree.

I don't rate his tackling ability.Yes he would run around the park for 90 minutes but his long range goal scoring ratio is poor.

I rate him as a left sided winger running down the wing and delivering the ball into the box for our strikers to convert.

Stevie G is the more obvious choice of AM but I would agree we should consider recruiting another to back fill.With the release of Zenden we have an imbalance with DM and AM players.

I'm sorry, are we talking about the same player here?

Riise would never make it as a winger. He can't take a man on, and whilst his crosses are accurate he needs space to be able to play them. The role he can play in the midfield is a left sided midfielder, which is different from a winger, and the role he does play when pushed forward. A side midfielder doesn't hug the touchline like a winger, plays very similar to a central midfielder but in a different area of the pitch & cuts in the middle a lot, pretty much the role Gerrard plays when stuck out on the right.

I would definately have to disagree about Riise not being good at tackling. A player cannot go 205 league games with only 5 yellow cards & no red cards unless their tackling is spot on. Where Riise lacks defensively is tactically. Too often he isn't aware of danger & gets caught too high up the pitch when playing at left back. More often than not when an opposition striker breaks our offside trap it is Riise who hasn't held the line and played the man onside. But tackling definately isn't one of Riise's weak points, in fact I think I might even have been a bit harsh on him only describing it as 'good'.

His shooting ability is his best attribute, and I feel he needs to play in a role which exploits that more, rather than left back. He can play the left midfield role as I said, but won't always be the best option there, i.e when the opposition has a weak right back a winger will have a field day. Looking at his attributes I would say he can play an attacking midfield role behind the striker/s, arriving from a bit deeper and utilising that left foot rocket a bit more.

EddieC - can't you see that Riise's time is up?

Surely you can.  Do you think he's a first choice on the left who's capable of adding quality to a Championship side?

Sorry mate - he aint.  Okay, he's got a cracking left-foot and the guys got enough energy to last two weeks in Ibiza without sleep, but his lack of attributes are so clear to see.

1. He's a head-less chicken
      2. Predictable with his distribution
      3. Can he cross...not sure
      4. Too many long balls

A very good squad player...I hope Rafa agrees!

Read the post properly before commenting on it Richobaz. I said that I DON'T think he's suited to playing on the left, not as a first choice anyway, but he does have one hell of a shot on him & I was trying to find a place he could fit in.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #6: Jul 02, 2007 02:31:47 am
      i dont believe riise is nowhere near an attacking midfielder...he only possesses good shooting ability...when it comes to tackling i believe he is soft, and i believe he can be very lazy and "casual" about his play...he doesnt have the awareness and quality to be an attacking midfielder...i believe he's a one sided player...he doesnt have flare, and i think he would get lost playing attacking midfield.
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 02, 2007 11:44:19 am
      Sorry to go off the thread but i was at a children's footy tournament on friday, which was organised by Liverpool community team, and it was said that Rafa and Heighway didnt see eye to eye and there was alot of difficulties between them, and that was the reason that he left more than he retired.  I dont know how much of this is true or pile of s**t, if anybody can clear this up. Post it pls.  Sorry again for going off thread
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 02, 2007 12:28:43 pm
      I've always said that Riise must play as a left midfielder. He showed good played.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #9: Jul 02, 2007 12:42:47 pm
      In the 2nd leg against Barca, He played fantastically. He made valdes st*t in his pants with all those shots, hitting the bar. He was playing in the left mid role and Arbeloa played LeftBack (awsomeley shutting out messi).
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Jul 02, 2007 02:45:25 pm

Cracking idea EddieC, I'd much rather see him there than being shut out of the team or being on the bench all the time! It is a shame about how crowded the midfield is at the moment but the more options we have the better obviously!
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #11: Jul 02, 2007 03:36:44 pm
      EddieC - Didn't read it properly, you're right - but i still don't know what you mean to be honest

But my comments were apt and just to be fair...Riise doesn't figure in our title aspirations...and you know it!

We've only got 11 places (maths see) and I for one would not want him taking the place of anyone in that side.  Not good enough for left back or left mid/wing. 

And now you've thrown into the pot, could he play him behind the forwards...just so he can smack a few at goal.  ? ? What about playmaking...and the nose bleeds he'll get from being up there.

Sorry mate...you know this won't happen - why don't we put Crouch in goal, because he's 6ft 7in????
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #12: Jul 02, 2007 03:50:16 pm
      EddieC - Didn't read it properly, you're right - but I still don't know what you mean to be honest

But my comments were apt and just to be fair...Riise doesn't figure in our title aspirations...and you know it!

We've only got 11 places (maths see) and I for one would not want him taking the place of anyone in that side.  Not good enough for left back or left mid/wing. 

And now you've thrown into the pot, could he play him behind the forwards...just so he can smack a few at goal.  ? ? What about playmaking...and the nose bleeds he'll get from being up there.

Sorry mate...you know this won't happen - why don't we put Crouch in goal, because he's 6ft 7in????

Don't really think your sarcasm has helped your argument out fella ??? I was expectin a nice seasoned debate here but you've reached the end of the road there
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #13: Jul 02, 2007 04:23:12 pm
      Don't really think your sarcasm has helped your argument out fella ??? I was expectin a nice seasoned debate here but you've reached the end of the road there

County Rd Kopite - I'm struggling to work out what this forum is about!

I wasn't being nasty to EddieC - How could I - he's the guvnor.

I'm just stating my point...and saying putting crouch in goal wasn't sarcasm...more a realistic choice than putting a defender in an attaking role.

That's all...so 'the end of the road' it's not - fella!
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Jul 02, 2007 05:04:33 pm
      County Rd Kopite - I'm struggling to work out what this forum is about!

I wasn't being nasty to EddieC - How could I - he's the guvnor.

I'm just stating my point...and saying putting crouch in goal wasn't sarcasm...more a realistic choice than putting a defender in an attaking role.

That's all...so 'the end of the road' it's not - fella!

You say putting a defender in an attacking role, but remember Riise is a midfielder that's been put in a defensive role.

Honestly I don't think he'd be the greatest attacking midfielder either, but he does have one hell of a shot on him & I feel it gets wasted playing at left back. I'm just trying to come up with ideas to use that shot of his better, plus it's close season & there's not that much else to post about once you've given all your opinions on the potential transfer targets.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #15: Jul 02, 2007 05:52:17 pm
      Eddiec it was a good post mate - it got a reaction.  That's the point.

I for one like the energy Riise brings to the team.

I just now think it's time for Liverpool to be 'brutal' in team selections / departures.

Riise would have been one of the players i would have sold this summer.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Jul 02, 2007 06:23:22 pm
      I say we should keep hold of JAR hes a good squad player to have and gets a couple of goals aswell usually screamers,i would like to see him down the left wing for a few games to see if he can hold his own.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #17: Jul 03, 2007 12:53:47 pm
      I don't agree that his passing is good, I think he gives away the ball too much and to say his dribbling is good? I'm sorry but I don't see Riise beating too many defenders. When he plays on the Left of midfield his crossing is poor too. I think Riise will be the weak link in our team next year and I don't expect him to be around for too much longer.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #18: Jul 03, 2007 01:29:25 pm
      Looking back, we need a big match player as we've just lost one in Garcia!

Riise is the next on my list I'd think of as one of these players, barring Stevie of course, and to let him go would be a shame!

Admittedly yes, his form has dropped but it would be good to hang onto him for another season at least!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #19: Jul 03, 2007 03:28:39 pm
      Before we all start to slate riise remember one thing he has stood the test of time and has fought competion and found his way into the team.  Most of lfc fans have been crude towards him.  I think eddiec's option of playing should be tried as it makes a lot of sense.  But he has been a consistent starter and no matter who comes in he should be given opportunities to prove he can challenge for his position.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: Jul 03, 2007 03:39:23 pm
      I could definitely see Riisse offering something further up the pitch and whilst he isn’t noted for his dribbling and tackling abilities (this is also something I feel Beckham lacks and it hasn’t harmed his career on the flank!) he does make up for it with his shooting and some decent crosses into the box. I think his delivery would improve no end if Rafa left him further forward instead of using him to do shifts at left back, something that will become a rare occurrence anyway with the possible emergence of Insua, a return to the side for Aurelio, and any future signings as in the rumour regarding Heinze. My only real hope is that he isn’t just shipped out with the players who should really be going as part of a mass clear out! as I think good left footed players are hard to find and Riisse has one of the best around and if it could save £15m on a new winger surely he and a hopefully fit again Kewell can fight for that position instead?
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #21: Jul 03, 2007 07:23:15 pm
      I don't agree that his passing is good, I think he gives away the ball too much and to say his dribbling is good? I'm sorry but I don't see Riise beating too many defenders. When he plays on the Left of midfield his crossing is poor too. I think Riise will be the weak link in our team next year and I don't expect him to be around for too much longer.

TBH I should've really differentiated between dribbling & ability to beat a man. When I said his dribbling was good I meant he can carry the ball at a good pace, but you're right, as I said in my original post he's not great a taking the ball past players.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #22: Jul 03, 2007 08:09:36 pm
      Eddie C - mate - something else you've not taken into account.

Aren't most of Riise's bullets when he's running/coming onto the ball...if he's up there...then he's have to do a lot of turning and shooting...if that makes sense?

And he's never been that good one on one or with the simpler chances (which he'll get being up field).

So I think you'll end up losing his best quality.
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #23: Jul 03, 2007 08:16:48 pm
      Eddie C - mate - something else you've not taken into account.

Aren't most of Riise's bullets when he's running/coming onto the ball...if he's up there...then he's have to do a lot of turning and shooting...if that makes sense?

And he's never been that good one on one or with the simpler chances (which he'll get being up field).

So I think you'll end up losing his best quality.

Hence the reason I didn't suggest him up front, rather in a deeper lying role where he can run onto opportunities.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #24: Jul 03, 2007 08:19:41 pm
      deeper role?  how deep do you want him?

do you want him to be an attacking midfielder or a central midfielder or a holding midfielder?

Surely these are the only positions you can play as a midfielder?
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #25: Jul 03, 2007 09:03:23 pm
      deeper role?  how deep do you want him?

do you want him to be an attacking midfielder or a central midfielder or a holding midfielder?

Surely these are the only positions you can play as a midfielder?

Deeper as opposed to the strikers, in a position where he can run onto things, and unleash one of his rockets.

Quick Reply