Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Brad Jones (Liverpool -> Bradford City)

Read 88340 times
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Brad Jones Player Thread
      Reply #322: Dec 14, 2014 04:27:48 pm
      I was more confident watching the game with Jones in goal than Mignolet. Solid display from Brad today. He'll never do anything more than solid, but it's still more reliable than what Migs offers.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #323: Dec 14, 2014 04:29:05 pm
      One thing Jones certainly did well today was his quick release, something Mignolet rarely does.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #324: Dec 14, 2014 04:37:17 pm
      I was more confident watching the game with Jones in goal than Mignolet. Solid display from Brad today. He'll never do anything more than solid, but it's still more reliable than what Migs offers.

Funnily enough, I too felt more relaxed with Jones in goal, how odd!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #325: Dec 14, 2014 04:57:46 pm
      Thought he did well starting a league game of such magnitude.

Felt he could have saved the first and third goals had he not dove early for the first. But everyone would have thought Mata would shoot for the third as well so was caught off.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #326: Dec 14, 2014 05:33:10 pm
      The hilarity of you lot saying Jones had a solid game today is amazing. He tried to predict where Rooney was going to shoot and completely fu**ed up by diving the wrong way even though Rooneys body shape said he was going for Jones' left side where he already had covered and the 3rd goal where he dived even though it was so obvious Mata would pass it!

Clearly have no idea what makes a good keeper but doing Championship standard dives trying to predict is awful. Reckon Mignolet would have saved Rooneys shot as Migs relys on his reactions and he wouldn't Have sold himself.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #327: Dec 14, 2014 06:46:36 pm
      Not up to the standard of a Liverpool keeper, the fact that people think he is scares me.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #328: Dec 14, 2014 06:50:31 pm
      I thought he was absolutely terrible, calamitously bad. I've never seen a keeper "guess" which way a shot from the edge of the box is going to go, and I've never seen a keeper get sold by a through ball to the extent that when the bloke got it he was no longer between the sticks. Unbelievable.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #329: Dec 14, 2014 06:51:37 pm
      Watching the replay of all the goals, Jones went the wrong way for the first, and on the third he went down before Mata passed.

What exactly does John Achterberg do with our keepers all week?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #330: Dec 14, 2014 07:00:42 pm
      Watching the replay of all the goals, Jones went the wrong way for the first, and on the third he went down before Mata passed.

What exactly does John Achterberg do with our keepers all week?

And on the second he didn't sprint fifty yards to scream "f*** off you c***!" in the linesmans face, (mind you neither did anyone else). I cannot believe we never even protested that, and all that "it's hard to tell if Van Persie headed it or it flicked his hair" sh!t, f*cking most obvious flick on you've ever seen. 

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #331: Dec 14, 2014 07:04:29 pm
      And on the second he didn't sprint fifty yards to scream "f*** off you c***!" in the linesmans face, (mind you neither did anyone else). I cannot believe we never even protested that, and all that "it's hard to tell if Van Persie headed it or it flicked his hair" sh!t, f*cking most obvious flick on you've ever seen. 

Agreed, someone mentioned in the match thread, think it was Walton how our players don't every rip into officials when they make a bad call. It's definitely a mentality problem, there's no ill discipline fighting for what you know is right and that was shocking decision by them.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #332: Dec 14, 2014 07:05:31 pm
      Jones didn't do anything wrong today. He also didn't do much good because he had very little to do in general.

Needs to stop diving the wrong way though.

EDIT: Just heard Brendan say he's keeping in goal for the next game.

Yeah the League Cup. Back to Migs for me at weekend. Better keeper.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #333: Dec 14, 2014 07:29:30 pm
      Agreed, someone mentioned in the match thread, think it was Walton how our players don't every rip into officials when they make a bad call. It's definitely a mentality problem, there's no ill discipline fighting for what you know is right and that was shocking decision by them.

its a symptom of a lack of passion within the club let alone the team
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #334: Dec 14, 2014 07:34:30 pm
      its a symptom of a lack of passion within the club let alone the team

Agree 100%, get more passion from the people in the studio when it's lads like Souness/Carra/Fowler/Thommo/Aldo than you do out of those on it.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #335: Dec 14, 2014 07:40:15 pm
      I thought considering Brad hasn't played in quite a while that it was such a big risk to then change the keeper in such a massive game. Mignolet is bad but he's not Brad Jones bad.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #336: Dec 14, 2014 08:58:26 pm
      i don't think he's even championship material to be fair ... he dived at first and third like they had a penalty
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #337: Dec 14, 2014 10:01:14 pm
      I think he did alright today.  Look Brad Jones is not the answer to our keeper problems, but there's no way you can tell me he's miles worse than Mignolet has been as of late.  Mignolet deserved to be dropped ages ago.  Jones got his chance today.  In fact if anything I thought he looked better than the last time he was out on the pitch; he used to be very nervy and would drop the ball a lot, seemed indecisive etc.  At least today he had some confidence.  I don't think he would have gotten to the Rooney goal but diving the other way was a bit weird.  Nothing he could do about the Mata goal.  If you want to be harsh then you could say he should have stayed on his feet for the third goal when Mata faked to shoot, but he didn't really have much of an option IMO given the position Lovren had put him in with that "clearance."

He didn't do anything spectacular.  Had a top save on that van Persie shot but Mignolet probably would have gotten that too.

I did notice one time in the second half he came about 10 yards out of the box to clear a ball, a la Neuer.  I almost jumped out of my seat!  given how afraid Mignolet is I had almost forgotten that some keepers are proactive in their sweeping role. 

There's no reason for him to lose his spot for the next game.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #338: Dec 14, 2014 10:30:30 pm
      People have been asking for others to be patient with Allen, Lovren, Moreno, Henderson, Borini, Lambert, Balotelli, Lallana and every other F***ing carrot we have brought in to the club the last few seasons. All listed above have had some sort of a sequence a consecutive start of games Brad deserves the same "patience" then? Give him a run of games an opportunity to build his confidence before throwing him to the lions.

Some wally in the match thread was pointing the finger for the first goal clearly from all angles you can see Skrtel is completely blocking his view and he needs to take a punt where the ball is going to go. .
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #339: Dec 14, 2014 10:59:36 pm
      People don't have patience for Brad because he's a known entity that's been here for awhile and he's the backup for a reason.

Silly to think he's going to ever be better than he is now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #340: Dec 14, 2014 11:01:47 pm
      If Brad Jones was any good he wouldn't have been sitting on our bench for god knows how long.

I still maintain Mignolet is a much better keeper but the fact that because his form has been so poor we have to play Jones speaks volumes about our current transfer policy.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #341: Dec 14, 2014 11:21:17 pm
      He's been given a chance eventually lets see how he performs.
      I hope he proves my beliefs about him wrong.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #342: Dec 14, 2014 11:32:01 pm
      Did BR really say that Mignolet was being dropped "indefinitely"?

Wow.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #343: Dec 14, 2014 11:37:32 pm
      Did BR really say that Mignolet was being dropped "indefinitely"?

Wow.

You know, come to think of it, he wasn't exactly bad vs Basel and Sunderland, right? I mean, I can understand if he was dropped after 2 poor performances, but to drop him now when he was decent enough in his last 2 games, It just seems so sudden? Don't you think something's going on behind the scenes?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #344: Dec 15, 2014 12:26:56 am
      Don't you think something's going on behind the scenes?

Could be wrong but: 1) surely they don't think Jones is a long term solution, and 2) if Rodgers says Mignolet is out "indefinitely" then that makes me think they already have someone in mind to come in in January and take over the n.1 spot.  i.e., Jones is just there to hold down the fort until whoever comes in January can replace Mignolet.

Quick Reply