Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Brad Jones (Liverpool -> Bradford City)

Read 88349 times
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 258 
      Re: Brad Jones Player Thread
      Reply #276: Jan 28, 2013 01:51:45 pm
      IMHO, it's most difficult to find a 'good enough' GK who please to sit on the bench throughout his career as those 'good enough' GK always want by football clubs. That's the reason we saw the 'Reina to Barcelona' rumor together with 'Victor Valdes not sign new contract' rumor, for example. Even the promising young GK often loan out for first team experience. So I'd like to say in case our no.1 GK unavailable we should automatically aware that we have a weak spot in our goal so it's no-nonsense to look at the defense and adjust it to reduce the risk. Put in Seb Coates who very rarely play and have Joe Allen who's clearly at his worst form and confidence to shield the not so strong GK is not the best option.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #277: Jan 28, 2013 10:56:53 pm
      The lad was poor made an error cost us a goal but I don't understand some of the comments.

Would they have been the same if Pepe made the same howler, and he has made about half a dozen similar or worse the last 2 seasons?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 258 
      Reply #278: Jan 29, 2013 01:35:00 am
      The lad was poor made an error cost us a goal but I don't understand some of the comments.

Would they have been the same if Pepe made the same howler, and he has made about half a dozen similar or worse the last 2 seasons?
      Right mate.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #279: Jan 29, 2013 04:09:06 am
      real enemy
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts |
      Reply #280: Feb 18, 2013 07:03:02 am
      I think Jones has proved that we have a capable no.2 as back-up to Pepe. It doesn't mean Jones is a competitor for Pepe. Just someone reliable we can call upon to steady the ship. For competition to Pepe, we need to sign a quality keeper, to create a situation like Spurs had earlier of the season.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #281: Mar 16, 2013 05:03:55 pm
      Someone needs to teach him to catch the F***ing ball, not just spill it straight back out.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #282: Mar 16, 2013 05:07:18 pm
      Cost us nothing all game. About the only 1 who didn't play a part in our downfall.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #283: Mar 16, 2013 05:28:15 pm
      Maybe he didn't cost us anything today, but he still never holds on to the ball. He spills it every single time.

His distribution is shocking as well.

Definitely should be looking to replace him in the summer with someone better.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #284: Mar 16, 2013 05:51:03 pm
      Maybe he didn't cost us anything today, but he still never holds on to the ball. He spills it every single time.

His distribution is shocking as well.

Definitely should be looking to replace him in the summer with someone better.

Why? How many top class number twos are there about who are happy being number 2? Jones does a job for me.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #285: Mar 16, 2013 06:48:27 pm
      Why? How many top class number twos are there about who are happy being number 2? Jones does a job for me.
      I agree with you in as much as not many teams have quality back ups, but in regards he does a job I'm sorry but you can see he instils no confidence in his back four whatsoever. The fact he's spilling balls left right and centre be it from direct shots or crosses is surely a big indication as to the fact we need a more solid replacement for when Pepe's out.
      Cavalieri was a good example he never took Reina's place as number 1, but he was a very solid performer when he was called upon.

I'm quite happy to have the right sort of goalkeeper sign for us and then leave a couple of season down the line if they can't become our regular number 1. It shows there hunger to be the number 1 at at club and not be the guy who'll step in if needed (which imo is what Jones will now be till he retires).

If you look at the EPL as far as the goalkeeping department go and I'm not talking about there first choice I think there's quite a few teams that are ahead of us.

Imo we are only in front of Everton, Fulham, Wigan, Reading, West Ham and WBA in terms of our back up to our number one gk. And a couple of them are debatable! 
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #286: Mar 16, 2013 06:54:27 pm
      Are we seriously debating whether we have a good enough backup goalkeeper? We have bigger issues than a backup goalkeeper. To be honest not many good players are content with being the backup GK. You rarely see action no matter how much you work your arse off in training. We can worry about this later but I'm more worried about dropping points against weaker teams. A decent backup GK should not be of concern right now. Rodgers has too much on his plate than to worry about this.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #287: Mar 17, 2013 03:11:49 pm
      In terms of blocking shots and goals, Brad couldn't do anything on the three goals. It's really his distribution that hurts us.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #288: Mar 18, 2013 11:03:26 am
      I'm very good at doing top class number two's although I'm not sure if i should admit that.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #289: Mar 18, 2013 12:54:17 pm
      I'm very good at doing top class number two's although I'm not sure if i should admit that.

:lmao:
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #290: Mar 18, 2013 01:32:26 pm
      A goal keeper is as good as his defence and our defence against the saints was at pub level. Plus now hear he had some injury,pepe has had on and off form which has cost us points this season. Give brad a chance he has filled in and held the fort, think with more games he will become our #1.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #291: Mar 18, 2013 04:06:27 pm
      A goal keeper is as good as his defence and our defence against the saints was at pub level. Plus now hear he had some injury,pepe has had on and off form which has cost us points this season. Give brad a chance he has filled in and held the fort, think with more games he will become our #1.

Not. A. Chance.

He's ok but never a number one keeper.
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #292: Mar 18, 2013 04:38:32 pm

Tripping balls I think is the expression
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #293: Mar 18, 2013 05:03:30 pm
      Brad Jones couldn't catch a cold, constantly flapping at everything.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #294: Mar 19, 2013 08:19:06 am
      ;D he'll never be our number 1. watching him has helped me understand why reina is a world class keeper. check out his saves against wigan then check out jones' saves against southampton...

as an aussie i'm still very proud every time he starts and think he does a good job. like kyrgiakos (also got greek in me) - not a world beater and not expected to be, just did a job for Liverpool FC.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #295: Mar 19, 2013 03:39:13 pm
      Happy Birthday Brad  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #296: Mar 25, 2013 06:42:59 pm
      I rate Brad tbh.  He is no way a first team keeper but it takes a certain personality for a player to be ok to be the 2nd... and i think brad has it.  Not saying he isnt ambitious but more like he understands his role and how he can contribute.  I also agree with many of you that believe he needs to work on holding onto the ball.  however, as i've said before, I really believe he had the jitters... shocking that he still had the jitters at this level but hey it can happen to anyone that doesnt get to play constantly.  he has good reflexes... which was evident by some of the saves he made.

plus, I wouldnt mind keeping him around as he doesnt cost too much right now and it'll also mean we will get to see more of Dani :D
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #297: Aug 18, 2013 12:40:09 pm
      Bumped into Brad when I was out last night. Really nice fella.

I asked him if we're signing Willian and his reply - "What the F**k do I know!"  haha!

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #298: Oct 30, 2013 09:25:11 am
      He must be loving it, he gets to train keep fit get paid decent money and doesnt have the matchday pressure. Feet up easy life, but seriously I think he will be off in the summer (not sure  how long he has left on contract) prob back to Aussie to play out the rest of his career. A back up keeper is important but I would much prefer a younger keeper on Very low wages as you never need to rest a 1st team keeper or rotate so you dont play that often as a 2nd keeper. Get rid in the summer loose his wages and promote a young keeper to U21 and on matchdays have him on the bench to soak up the 1st team.

Quick Reply