Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Brad Jones (Liverpool -> Bradford City)

Read 87550 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Brad Jones Player Thread
      Reply #368: Dec 22, 2014 11:50:34 am
      How have we ended up in a situation where one keeper is at the level of a reserve for a Championship team and the other you would expect at a relegation struggling PL team.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #369: Dec 22, 2014 11:51:51 am
      Does anyone seriously think he should be starting? Give me an out of form Mignolet every week ahead of this semi-pro.

I'd doubt to be honest even Brad thinks he should be starting
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #370: Dec 22, 2014 11:52:38 am
      Funny situation. He seems ok coming off his line and gets rid of the ball quicker but his reflexes suck.

And then on the bench we have the opposite.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #371: Dec 22, 2014 12:00:26 pm
      Surprisingly his distribution was top class yesterday. Almost all his clearance were finding a Liverpool player.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #372: Dec 22, 2014 01:49:14 pm
      Funny situation. He seems ok coming off his line and gets rid of the ball quicker but his reflexes suck.

And then on the bench we have the opposite.

There was on moment in the 36th min where a deflected(?) through ball was made and an Arsenal player was gonna get to it with a possible 1v1 and 20/25 yards out, but Jones anticipated and intercepted, Haven't seen that since Reina days!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #373: Dec 22, 2014 02:02:01 pm
      Did it last week against the Mancs too. Came out of his box to clear a ball over the top.

And as soon as he has the ball in his hands he sprints out and launches it. Simon stands there with the ball, hugging it, and tells everyone to calm down before playing a pass four yards ahead of him.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #374: Dec 22, 2014 02:07:53 pm
      If you could combine Jones' willingness to come off his line and out of his six yard box with Migs ability as a shot stopper, we might have a decent keeper. I'd agree his distribution was also an improvement on Migs. As it is though, despite Migs weaknesses, he has to come back in against Burnley. He's at least capable of pulling off some good saves.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #375: Dec 22, 2014 02:08:42 pm
      Did it last week against the Mancs too. Came out of his box to clear a ball over the top.

And as soon as he has the ball in his hands he sprints out and launches it. Simon stands there with the ball, hugging it, and tells everyone to calm down before playing a pass four yards ahead of him.

Is correct mate, just commented to a poster as to who is the better 'keeper, plain as the nose on your face that is.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #376: Dec 22, 2014 02:21:51 pm
      Does anyone seriously think he should be starting? Give me an out of form Mignolet every week ahead of this semi-pro.

Overall he's a poorer keeper no doubt about it,especially when it comes to shot stopping, but there are some aspects of the game he is better at that we can use right now.

Firstly, he is better at coming off his line which makes a big difference to the rest of the team as the backline can be pushed 10-20 yards further up and it makes us less vulnerable to crosses.

Secondly he is much better with the ball at his feet which means that we don't go into ful-blown panic mode as soon as the oppo do the obvious thing and press our centre-backs - he has the ability to knock it long over their heads and find our own players who are now in space in the centre of the pitch.

Thirdly. his distribution is quicker and more accurate. At the moment we only really have Markovic and Sterling with any acceleration in the team but that ability will become crucial for starting fast counter attacks when the oppo are strung out across the pitch and we have Moreno, Manquillo and Sturridge legging it down the pitch., Suddenly, Stevie and Coutinho's passing options become much more dangerous in an exponential fashion.

I think Mig's time with us is done - i remain baffled as to why we signed him in the first place given that his style i salmost the opposite of what we needed. Stick him in a team that plays with a low block and that tracks runners from the midfield - like Chelsea - then all he has to do is concentrate on saving long shots which leaves him looking like a hero match after match.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #377: Dec 22, 2014 04:33:20 pm
      we've got Tweedledee and Tweedledum vying for the starting position while Pepe wastes away his career on the bench watching Neuer do Cruyff turns in his own box.

It really baffles me that Pepe, with years ahead of him as a keeper, chose to warm the bench at Munich. Granted he wasn't as good as he had been when he went to Napoli, but considering how Migs turned out after a promising start, I'd have Pepe back in a heartbeat.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #378: Dec 22, 2014 05:16:20 pm
      decision
      It really baffles me that Pepe, with years ahead of him as a keeper, chose to warm the bench at Munich. Granted he wasn't as good as he had been when he went to Napoli, but considering how Migs turned out after a promising start, I'd have Pepe back in a heartbeat.

Getting shut of Reina was purely an economic move, the implication to the team was not considered.
      I heard that F***ing guff about him and BR having words.....that was all very convenient wasn't it?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #379: Dec 22, 2014 09:21:14 pm
      Getting shut of Reina was purely an economic move, the implication to the team was not considered.
      I heard that f**king guff about him and BR having words.....that was all very convenient wasn't it?

I have no doubt from our side wages came into it but he wasn't forced to go to Munich and never play

I find that equally baffling that he is happy in what should be his prime to go into semi retirement

As for Jones, I've never seen a keeper that let's so many shots go through him... His body is made of smoke
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #380: Dec 22, 2014 09:42:56 pm
      Really need a top class keeper to win the league, but then FSG will not fork out the wages, false economy if you ask me, but then I am only a fan what would I know!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #381: Dec 22, 2014 10:50:53 pm
      Really need a top class keeper to win the league

To be honest, I'd be happy with a half decent keeper at the moment, seeing Dumb and Dumber as our keepers fills me with no optimism when they are needed.

At least Jones can actually kick a ball though and isn't scared to come off his line.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #382: Dec 22, 2014 10:56:11 pm
      I have no doubt from our side wages came into it but he wasn't forced to go to Munich and never play

I find that equally baffling that he is happy in what should be his prime to go into semi retirement

As for Jones, I've never seen a keeper that let's so many shots go through him... His body is made of smoke

Seems like he likes his scran more than the footy mate.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #383: Dec 23, 2014 05:00:05 pm
      Yeah, "communication" and "distribution" may be important, but let's not forget the core goalkeeping attribute

Squawka Football @Squawka
      Brad Jones has faced 8 shots on target in his 2 Premier League games this season, conceding 5 goals in the process.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #384: Dec 24, 2014 02:11:25 am
      At least Jones can actually kick a ball though and isn't scared to come off his line.

nearly jumped out of my seat when he ran out of his box to clear that ball against Arsenal.  I'd nearly forgotten a keeper was allowed to leave the box!

the one thing I don't like about Jones (other than his being just as bad if not worse than Mignolet) is that a few months ago when Mignolet was doing his usual routine Jones kept going on about how unfair the criticism is on Mignolet, how he's a great keeper etc etc.  F**k's sake, why would you be publicly saying that you think the player in front of you is doing just fine?!  I would think that Jones would have been tired of sitting the bench.  So at least keep your mouth shut. 

just made it seem like he didn't really care whether he played or not. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #385: Dec 24, 2014 07:53:35 am
      nearly jumped out of my seat when he ran out of his box to clear that ball against Arsenal.  I'd nearly forgotten a keeper was allowed to leave the box!

Same her Fed. You know how the cameras show where the ball is and you know which end its going too and I just expected him to be stuck on his line like I have been with Migs for the last 2 seasons, but there he was coming out to get the ball. Nearly fell off my chair.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #386: Dec 24, 2014 10:44:09 am
      Yeah, "communication" and "distribution" may be important, but let's not forget the core goalkeeping attribute

Brad Jones has faced 8 shots on target in his 2 Premier League games this season, conceding 5 goals in the process.

In his Cup appearences a while back, I recall Jones pulling off a number of great saves. I´d put his current struggle with shots down to lack of game-time. He´s going to get it right. As for other goalkeeping bread and butter I think Hollywood Balls put it better than I could. Brad is better at almost everything, and he has some confidence unlike Simon. The lads in front of him will only benefit from it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #387: Dec 24, 2014 11:12:29 am

Some aren't just down to him though, I mean the Debuchy goal...what the F**k was that about Skrtel?!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #388: Dec 24, 2014 01:23:08 pm

Agree 100%.

He's a poor poor excuse for a keeper and Mig on his worst day is still better.

The problem is that Jones is the 'competition' and is another reason why Mignolet's form has suffered so badly.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #389: Dec 24, 2014 06:52:59 pm
      The problem is that Jones is the 'competition' and is another reason why Mignolet's form has suffered so badly.

And why we started to see Reina dip a bit himself.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #390: Dec 24, 2014 07:13:35 pm
      Having dodgy keepers, including Reina's dip, has been a problem since Achterberg joined the coaching staff.
      You could say that Reina started going downhill pretty much as soon as the new coach arrived.

It's a bit too much of a coincidence for me.

Quick Reply