Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match

Pepe Reina
      (6.3%)
      Sotis Kyrgiakos
      (43%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (2.5%)
      Martin Kelly
      (6.3%)
      Ryan Babel
      (8.9%)
      Joe Cole
      (7.6%)
      Milan Jovanovich
      (25.3%)

Liverpool 1-0 Trabzonspor: In-game and post match moan

Read 42953 times
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Trabzonspor: In-game and post match moan
      Reply #460: Aug 20, 2010 12:15:26 am
      So Aquilani might be off? What happens to our midfield then? We played Poulsen and Lucas when Gerrard isn't fit? Bloody fantastic idea that!
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #461: Aug 20, 2010 12:15:27 am
      Lucas needs to grow a pair of balls or move on. Sick to f**k of him and his sideways passing. He is actually good enough to do it, but he has zero confidence in himself. He is a quivering wreck, fair play he won the penalty, but thats more the fault of their defender.

Pass the ball forward Lucas, we were playing against sh*te!!!!!
      Could not disagree more. Lucas does what the manager tells him. i.e. to keep it tight and safe. Until he has the license to attack he will do what he is told. In the second half he was allowed to go forward on occasion and i believe that is the reason why he found himself in the box with the ball and was fouled. His role is to be the waterboy we can't obviously expect him to be banging in the goals.....Of course just my opinion and we can agree to disagree...but hey we won...yeahhhh
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #462: Aug 20, 2010 12:15:49 am
      Looks like Acquilani is off, at least on loan.   Did anyone hear Roy's statement on Alberto? I dont think we'd be left just with Lucas and Poulsen as cover for Gerrard.  I think someone like Van Der Vaart (been in very good form for Real Madrid recently but Ozil's signing might mean the end of the road), Parker or even Defour might come in.

From Friends of Liverpool:

"AQUILANI MAY GO BACK TO ITALY: HODGSON

After tonight's frustrating, yet welcome win against Trabonspor of Turkey in which Liverpool won 1-0 but should have had two or three, Roy Hodgson was asked about the failure of alberto Aquilani to even make the subs bench for the second game running:
      "At the moment we are considering loaning him to an Italian club.

"I didn't want to use him tonight in case the loan goes through because for Aquilani it's very important this year that he plays regular football, every week as the number one man on the team sheet.
      "I can't promise him that here so if a loan move to Italy could help him in that respect it might be good for all parties. It would certainly be what he needs, it would certainly protect the value of the player and when he does return to Liverpool no doubt we will see the Aquilani that we signed before he came here injured last year."
      Clubs interested in the 'little Prince' include Napoli mainly and although Aquilani's agent has denied it to date, it now looks likely that the diminutive midfielder may be on his way out of Anfield.
      Signed by Rafa Benitez last season to replace Xabi alonso, the Italian struggled with injuries and it comes as no surprise that the new manager is planning to get shut of him. "
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 12:26:49 am by Zeus »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #463: Aug 20, 2010 12:36:48 am
      All I can say after tonight's game is.

It's going to be another long season.

I'll give us till October before it's kick and rush.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #464: Aug 20, 2010 12:55:39 am
      Hodgson said the league takes priority over this competition. Personally I'd rather be knocked out and concentrate fully on the league and avoid this match on saturday match on thursday match on monday bollocks.

Soto was man of the match tonight. Babel was sh*te for 45 minutes even though he scored; deserved to be taken off at half time, he did F**k all. Nothing bad to say about the back line at all, Kelly gave his all as usaul. Jovanovic is showing his pace anyway and some good control of the ball. Poulsen I think actually did reasonably well. Lucas spurned a glorious chance and gave the ball away a bit but still played well. Maxi I don't think got the ball enough this match, not his fault maybe though. Cole worked hard, tried to impress, he may have missed the penalty but ah well. Pepe saved our win though from their best effort.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #465: Aug 20, 2010 01:13:15 am
      All I can say after tonight's game is.

It's going to be another long season.

I'll give us till October before it's kick and rush.

Haha it's still early days man.

do not forget we fielded a weakened team tonight.

Okay the result was poor, but i for one believe there is positives to be taken from tonights victory.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #466: Aug 20, 2010 01:20:55 am
      do not forget we fielded a weakened team tonight.

Why?

It's the start of the season.

Poor management that.  This tie could have been sealed tonight.

Let's see what team he has to take to Turkey next week now.

In my view it was poor judgement.  After the game Roy came out and said they are Premier League opposition.  If Babel, Cole, Torres, Jovanovic, Carragher, Reina et al is a weakened side then, like I said, this season is going to be another long one.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #467: Aug 20, 2010 01:23:24 am
      Despite the "poor" result we still should of won 3-0 with a weakened team atleast we are winning games thats the important thing
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #468: Aug 20, 2010 01:35:16 am
      How the frick didn't we win by more than 1 is my question?   >:(
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #469: Aug 20, 2010 01:51:23 am
      Cannot fault Roy. I thought he set up the team to win by more than a goal - especially in the second half when he brought Torres on. However he was massively unlucky, with the amount of good chances we had we should have won by at least 3. Am dreading the game at Turkey next week but Roy has probably no choice but to field a full strength side now.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #470: Aug 20, 2010 01:58:22 am
      Agree birthday boy, we really need to get through this tie. If we go out during a qualifier then i feel it really could be a long hard season, it will knock everyone's confidence if we go out now.

Seriously we will go through, right?
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #471: Aug 20, 2010 02:11:29 am
      Why?

It's the start of the season.

Poor management that.  This tie could have been sealed tonight.

Let's see what team he has to take to Turkey next week now.

In my view it was poor judgement.  After the game Roy came out and said they are Premier League opposition.  If Babel, Cole, Torres, Jovanovic, Carragher, Reina et al is a weakened side then, like I said, this season is going to be another long one.
      Let's not forget JD, Roy still doesn't know what his personal best eleven is. He more then likely has an idea but would like to experiment to see what work's best for the team. I respect your opinion my friend, but i'd have to disagree with your comment. I don't believe, with the tough premiership ties ahead, he should of fielded our best eleven. If ever the was a chance to check other elements of the squad, then this was the tie, a mediocre team in a tournament of lesser value then the prem.

Lets also not forget, Poulsen was robbed of a goal and cole should of buried. This in no way determines our seasonmark my words, you should look for the positives.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #472: Aug 20, 2010 02:11:57 am
      We will, i just can't see us having THAT badder game that we don't go through. We have the advantage of not giving up an away goal, whilst they have to not concede and then score two at least.

Isn't it funny we have won a game and still have a topic ending in 'post-match moan' :laugh:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #473: Aug 20, 2010 02:13:32 am
      ^ Fair shout. Poulsen should have scored.  And a proper penalty taker should have slotted that.

3-0 it would have been all over. But 1-0 against Trabzonspor at home does not look good on paper, nor on next week's flight schedule.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #474: Aug 20, 2010 02:19:59 am
      You can understand Joe wanting to take the pen after Sundays outcomes. But seriously as soon as i seen him step up i was thinking  " God if he misses this he looks a lot worse "

Maxi should of took it, scored then who knows we could of got a few more. The Turks heads would of dropped. But after the miss they got more believe.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #475: Aug 20, 2010 02:22:43 am
      Let's not forget JD, Roy still doesn't know what his personal best eleven is. He more then likely has an idea but would like to experiment to see what work's best for the team.

Regardless of whether he knows his best 11 or not the team put out tonight had more than enough ability to kill the tie off in the first leg. Playing Babel up top was always going to be a shocker minus the goal because we only have one player able to effectively do that role and cause the other team havoc as showed when he came on for the second half.

Right from the off we were playing like last season; lackluster, minimal effort, standing off them and inviting them to get forward and attack, sloppy passes going absolutely no where and the first half Poulsen had an absolute shocker with this because half the time he couldn't even find the player a few yards away from him. It was only when Nando came on the team showed glimpses of coming to life and wanting to get forward. We were unlucky not to score more though what with the penalty and then the shocking choice to rule the other out.

One thing that is for sure is that in the 2nd leg there has to be improvement because they are going to be up for it, they have nothing to lose by going all out and putting pressure on us, we are the favorites for a reason; because we are a far superior team but if we don't perform on the day then there is every chance we could still get knocked out of the competition.

Great to see Kelly have a solid game again though, especially in the first half when he gave the ball away but then ran after the attacker and got the ball back straight away, showed good commitment and effort to make up for it there. Well in lad.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #476: Aug 20, 2010 02:22:50 am
      True. I never fancy playing in Turkey. The fuckers boo for 90 minutes solid. I remember a few years back i think it was against  Gala away we couldn't even make a simple a pass because of the intimidation.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #477: Aug 20, 2010 02:41:09 am
      Just on Jova, do you lads think that he seems to go missing for long periods of the game? I rate the guy but he can get played out of the game at times eg in the second half.

But when he is getting the ball he looks strong and dangerous !
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #478: Aug 20, 2010 02:46:15 am
      Just on Jova, do you lads think that he seems to go missing for long periods of the game? I rate the guy but he can get played out of the game at times eg in the second half.

But when he is getting the ball he looks strong and dangerous !

Tiredness maybe mate?
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #479: Aug 20, 2010 02:50:19 am
      Could well be ! I noticed it was the same issue in the friendlys and ofcourse he got subbed early in the Arse game.

Perhaps he is down on match fitness, a world cup campaign does that to you.

Thought maybe Woy should have rested Jamie aswell with Agger out for the Man City game it would have been nice for him to be rested and ready for that game.

Be interesting to see how serious Roy takes the Europa league, I would rather him blood some of the young guys and focus on a PL assault.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #480: Aug 20, 2010 02:52:01 am
      Maybe it's because he's on the left and not more central. Don't quote me on this, but for Standard didn't he play as a fast striker/poacher?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #481: Aug 20, 2010 02:56:32 am
      Maybe it's because he's on the left and not more central. Don't quote me on this, but for Standard didn't he play as a fast striker/poacher?

He can play striker or left wing.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #482: Aug 20, 2010 02:59:59 am

Quoted ;)

As Kenny said, he is just as experienced on the left as striker. He played there in the world cup didn't he?

Quick Reply