Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Aquilani moving on a good decision?

Yes
      78 (17.9%)
      No
      357 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 430

The Aquilani Headache

Read 217463 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Re: Is Moving Aquilani On A Good Decision? POLL INCLUDED
      Reply #69: Aug 20, 2010 07:54:59 pm
      This is a joke

Sorry Roy dont know what your thinking is behind this

Woy is head of accounts and has to balance the books i guess.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #70: Aug 20, 2010 07:57:41 pm
      To remove a creative midfielder to balance the books just seems to baffle me why bring in Poulsen & Joe to remove a player who hasn't really been given a chance?
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #71: Aug 20, 2010 07:57:42 pm
      Saw poulsen last night - very impressed. Constantly shouting and organising midfield and some very nice play.
      Saw Aquilani earlier this year and was surprised how easily he was knocked off the ball and went out of the game.
      Comparing the two, i would say Aquilani is more suited to italian football and poulsen is suited to the pemiership.
      Skill levels for Aquilani is not in question but he seems to be a target for a clattering when he plays and that makes him drift in and out of play getting rid of the ball too quickly to avoid tackles.
      I would like to see him stay but i don't see a queue of premiership teams wanting him which maybe backs up my point.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #72: Aug 20, 2010 08:07:16 pm
      I was I was looking forward to see aqua slotted between the strikers and the mid.  For the little I've seen of him on youtube, looks like he could link up with nando really well.

Oh well, guess the long ball will have to do now.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Re: Is Moving Aquilani On A Good Decision?
      Reply #73: Aug 20, 2010 08:13:43 pm
      This is a crap decision ! getting rid of a creative talent who hasn't had a decent run of games ,this lad was looking good last season when he was getting match fitness after his ankle problems,I have to agree with some fans on here who think it's financially motivated ! why in hells name would we buy a midfielder .look after him for a season and then get rid ? think this decision may bite you Roy !
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #74: Aug 20, 2010 08:15:06 pm
      Italy's Corriere dello Sport claiming a loan deal has been struck between LFC and Juve (around 6pm) with the option to buy at the end of the season for 17 million Euros:

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/serie_a/juve/2010/08/20-125260/Aquilani+%C3%A8+della+Juve%21+Ci+sono+anche+le+firme
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #75: Aug 20, 2010 08:31:53 pm
      Actually the funniest thing is Aqua can get a game every week for Juventus yet poulsen cant so we decide to pay for Poulsen and give them Aqua for free.. absolutely terrible decision
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #76: Aug 20, 2010 08:41:16 pm
      Problably it is Aqua off - Toivonen in decision ;) Then it would be quite good decision IMO  :bert:
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #77: Aug 20, 2010 08:43:31 pm
      The guys a crock better selling than putting him out on loan
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #78: Aug 20, 2010 08:44:44 pm
      I don't understand the move. Last season our lack of attacking cover really scuppered us and if stevie gets injured then we have very little creative passers in the side. But I agree with comments on ere suggesting that aqua may have asked for a move so it would be unjust to heavilly criticise roy when we have little idea of the situation.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #79: Aug 20, 2010 09:34:02 pm
      Actually the funniest thing is Aqua can get a game every week for Juventus yet poulsen cant so we decide to pay for Poulsen and give them Aqua for free.. absolutely terrible decision
      Read all the posts on this topic and yours gets the GOLD medal Leeboy.
      OK he was bought with an injury.However THE injury it was hoped could be fixed by our team as Roma's medics where NOT getting anywhere with him.Also Aqua was reckoned (as a fit player ) to be worth more like 30 million.Best laid plans come to mind.
      So to sum up, I personally was really looking forward to his performances this season,loaning him out is MADNESS.Keep him Roy you won't regret it.

IRWT.
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #80: Aug 20, 2010 09:47:00 pm
      Sad, mad, bad decision.The mid field pairing of Lucas and Poulson last night was truly mediocre. Feel sorry for the lad as he's probably a pawn in a game going on in the boardroom, hope that Hodgson can cobble some funds together, cause we will miss his creativity
      Sheppy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts | -8 
      Reply #81: Aug 20, 2010 09:52:36 pm
      I want Aquilani to stay as he's obviously got potential and, for one reason or another, hasn't yet been given a real chance to prove himself at Anfield. But if he does go, I hope Roy has a replacement in mind because without Aquilani we only have two creative midfielders in Gerrard and Cole. Lucas, Poulson and Masch are essentially anchor men and somewhat limited going forward.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #82: Aug 20, 2010 10:13:08 pm
      It is an aberration. Bad, bad decision.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #83: Aug 20, 2010 10:24:47 pm
      Agree. Must have joined today to bash Roy
      Bad thing is the sad muppet give me a minus for the comment.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #84: Aug 20, 2010 10:34:25 pm
      the one positive i can take from this is that maybe Pacheco will move up the pecking order.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #85: Aug 20, 2010 11:27:28 pm
      ^just read that pacheco wants out. Alberto never got a real chance to prove himself here at the club. feel so sorry for the guy.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #86: Aug 21, 2010 12:35:56 am
      What is Roy thinking? If he is trying to balance the book as mentioned in some of the earlier posts; then it is not a good decision because we will be commercially more attractive to sponsors if we start winning some freaking trophies and for that you need your bests players and IMO Aqua is one of the best in the business or a club like Juve would not be interested. Farming him out to get matchfit--what bullshit, He can get matchfit over here, just give the boy some games. But who am I? I cannot stop Roy from doing what he thinks is Right. I just hope that it does not come to haunt him and us because as everybody knows how fragile our players are. we usually have some among these guys always in the treatment table--Gerrard, Torres, Cole, Agger, Johnson, Aurelio, Skrtel, Aqua etc all injury prone. at least if aqua was still here we would have a good backup for our attacking boys. When was the last time we all saw our best players playing in our best eleven--not in a long time i bet. Not a good decision roy to loan out Aqua  :(
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #87: Aug 21, 2010 12:39:06 am
      Noooooo, he should be playing week in week out for us, he showed how well he can play against Tottenham last season.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #88: Aug 21, 2010 06:30:47 am
      He got 6 assists in 9 premier league games last season.
      I guess that shows what kind of impact he gives.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #89: Aug 21, 2010 06:39:18 am
      Totally Gutted

This guy really was a superstar, he had everything in him .

I really had a soft spot for him. But roy wants to increase his market value by playing him regularly .

He really does not feel alberto can make it at liverpool.

Another sad end. With gerrard poulsen and lucas, alberto and masch leaving , there has to be some serious player who roy wants. I will not at all be surprised if he buys another 30 yr old for peanuts.

Sorry to say this is short term planning. You have to change the squad every 2 years with this approach.

Bye Alberto!
      khawja
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #90: Aug 21, 2010 06:57:53 am
      I was really hoping to see Alberto playing at his best for our club... I totally support Roy, but im clueless right now, as to why is he selling a genuine attacking playmaker, when all of us know our squad lacks depth... I hope he knows what he is doing..
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #91: Aug 21, 2010 12:53:14 pm
      As usual the news and media articles from our friends at the BBC and SKY revel in Aquilani’s failure to establish him-self and be an instant success. Other comments question Benitez signing him in the first place as he was injured. Benitez signed him on a five year contract and obviously thought our midfield was strong enough until he was fit again. He obviously had professional medical assurances that he would be fit again and he was. In fact, he played at the end of last season, some pre-season, (when Woy would let him), and most importantly – HE IS FIT NOW!

Would you not sign Lionel Messi if you knew that he’d be fit in a couple of months?

Aquilani looked a class act in the games he did play last season. I was really looking forward to watching him play this season. The whole thing stinks. From what I’ve seen so far this season I think we could use a player of his ability. Shocking decision by the manager. Having my doubts already.

Quick Reply