Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Lack Of Depth In Central Midfield

Read 7043 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Lack Of Depth In Central Midfield
      Reply #23: Aug 27, 2010 01:10:08 pm
      McCarthy off Wigan. Young, can pass and can tackle as well as being good on the ball. He'd add depth to the midfield
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Aug 27, 2010 01:12:05 pm
      He'd be a good squad player but we really need a top class replacement because Lucas and Poulsen are not going to be enough in midfield.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Aug 27, 2010 01:13:33 pm
      He'd be a good squad player but we really need a top class replacement because Lucas and Poulsen are not going to be enough in midfield.

Unless all the Mach money is freed up dont think we could afford the type of player you mean
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #26: Aug 27, 2010 01:18:17 pm
      I know Brian and that is why now we are a mid table team rather than a genuine contender for a top 4 place.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #27: Aug 27, 2010 01:45:23 pm
      Don't forgot Jonjo Shelvey, ready made class replacement for Stevie G.

Obviously clutching at straws here, but I do honestly believe Jonjo will be a fantastic player to have in the centre of the park and I hope he if we're in a situation where we need to bring on a more attacking centre mid Roy looks to him rather than Poulsen.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #28: Aug 27, 2010 02:25:28 pm
      You don't really believe that though you Stevie October the 6th is fast approaching and at the moment it doesn't look like the yanks want to sell.

Nah you're right I don't believe it, but that's we've been told, if we don't need the money as Roy said then ideally it would be going straight to our transfer kitty in finding a replacement. That's how it would work under stable ownership anyway.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #29: Aug 27, 2010 02:26:52 pm
      Ya agree Steve if we had normal owners but instead we have devious greedy vultures in charge of us.
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 27, 2010 02:30:39 pm
      In reality we need two new midfielders - a replacement for Aquilani (as people said, what happens if Gerrard is injured) and one for Mascherano (we need a world class player in there if we are to retain hope of beating the top teams). Banega, Defour and Parker on my wishlist.  Doubt we'd actually get any of these.
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2010 04:59:18 pm by Zeus »
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #31: Aug 27, 2010 02:33:13 pm
      Think Roy will be given some of the Mash money,don't know how much,would like to see the money spent on a half decent striker and a creative midfielder.Someone mentioned defour,would be a great signing,how about a right winger and give Kuyt a chance up front with Torres,have not got much time to get someone in.Ashly Young would be a great buy.  ??? ???
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 27, 2010 02:33:25 pm
      Yeh, just two years ago, we had the best midfield in the world.

NOW Everton has a better midfield than ours.

F***'ing depressing.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #33: Aug 27, 2010 02:33:56 pm
      Without Gerrard  who has had his fair share of injuries over the last couple of years, I think this is the worst Liverpool midfield I can ever remember.

In 25 years following the club I've not seen a worse partnership or pair as Lucas and Poulsen. Dark times ahead.
      Couldn,t agree more with that statement. Injuries apart everyone gets them, i think the team that went out on that pitch last night, even though they got us through which i am gratefull for ,was without doubt one of the poorest teams i can remember us putting on the park for a european game , as well as they done getting us through it dont disguise the fact that we are very short on talent.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,875 posts | 165 
      Reply #34: Aug 27, 2010 02:42:20 pm
      Didn't Torres say he'd only stay if quality players were brought in, so far we've had quality sold or loaned, & Lidl priced players brought in, something stinks here, if only it was the rotting corpses of the two cowboy tw*ts. I like Shelvey looks a decent player, but having Lucas & Poulsen paired up against anything but the worst off teams and we are fu**ed.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #35: Aug 27, 2010 02:52:26 pm
      Couldn,t agree more with that statement. Injuries apart everyone gets them, I think the team that went out on that pitch last night, even though they got us through which I am gratefull for ,was without doubt one of the poorest teams I can remember us putting on the park for a european game , as well as they done getting us through it dont disguise the fact that we are very short on talent.

Lucas and Aurelio away at fiorentina last season was the worst midfield for me. I remember the days of Paul Stewart in our midfield with Istvan Kozma. Now that was bad ;D.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #36: Aug 27, 2010 02:54:14 pm
      Without Gerrard  who has had his fair share of injuries over the last couple of years, I think this is the worst Liverpool midfield I can ever remember.

In 25 years following the club I've not seen a worse partnership or pair as Lucas and Poulsen. Dark times ahead.

Stewart and kozma were worse ;D
      RedtillDead
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 27, 2010 02:56:47 pm
      Just seen reports about Mahamadou Diarra from Real Madrid... hope that doesn't happen.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #38: Aug 27, 2010 02:57:59 pm
      I did say as far as i can remember don,t know if its my mind playing tricks or intentionally blocking out the sh*t we have had , the one you mention above well that just sent a shiver through me just thinking about it  :f_wah:
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #39: Aug 27, 2010 02:58:03 pm
      I know Brian and that is why now we are a mid table team rather than a genuine contender for a top 4 place.

We are not a mid table team. So do you think we will finish 10th/11th this season? are you trying to say Rafa built a mid table team as we are only shy of Mascherano.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #40: Aug 27, 2010 02:59:10 pm
      We are not a mid table team. So do you think we will finish 10th/11th this season?

We'll know by christmas where we'll be finishing..
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #41: Aug 27, 2010 03:02:53 pm
      Was just thinking of a few names that we could possibly afford at around 15M. That's considering if the Masch's money is completely reinvested! Gago, Parker, Defour all come into my mind.

Perhaps we could make a cheeky bid for Sneijder, since he so wants to play with Kuyt! ;D
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #42: Aug 27, 2010 03:06:56 pm
      We'll know by christmas where we'll be finishing..

We will know in May. We have a good squad. Great? No! Good, Yes. Getting into the top 4 will be tough but we will be there with Arsenal, Spurs and Citeh in the shake up.

To say we are a mid table team is a quote that belongs in the 'knee jerk' thread.

We may bring another midfielder in before the deadline. Lets wait and see. But i for one would be more than happy for Shelvey to progress through. Who knows, maybe that is why Aquilani was allowed to go.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #43: Aug 27, 2010 03:08:29 pm
      Was just thinking of a few names that we could possibly afford at around 15M. That's considering if the Masch's money is completely reinvested! Gago, Parker, Defour all come into my mind.

Perhaps we could make a cheeky bid for Sneijder, since he so wants to play with Kuyt! ;D

I like defour. At least we have some time now to get someone in. I'd like Ashley Young. But maybe our priorities are a striker and a left back. What the hell is happening with insua?

Maybe we could return the favor to inter and offer 6m plus Lucas for Sneijder?
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #44: Aug 27, 2010 03:19:24 pm
      I'd love us to sign De Rossi, Lassana Diarra, Sissoko or Alonso ;)

I heard that this Alonso lad is quite good
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #45: Aug 27, 2010 03:23:16 pm
      Banega and Defour. That would do me. . . But we all know where the money is going

Quick Reply