Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Huddersfield [Premier League] Fri 26th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Raul Meireles (Fenerbahçe)

Read 107762 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Raul Meireles (Chelsea)
      Reply #1300: Mar 06, 2012 01:57:50 pm
      I haven't missed him at all to be honest.

A player who on his day can look great but his day doesn't seem to come often enough.

I really liked the look of him before we bought him and thought he was a very good signing but apart from a great spell in the middle of his season with us I don't think he was a player we should have been begging to stay.

This.

Raul is another example of someone who is better when not in the side.. There are many like him in that we have let go or some in the squad that don't get much playing time.

There are reasons we let them go and it's easy to forget when things arent going as well as we want.

He did ok here nothing more. I wasn't that upset when he left or miss him.

Good luck to him in the future.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1301: Mar 06, 2012 02:02:49 pm
      What sets him out from our match of the day player is some thing called movement surprised how little some people see the importance of that.  2 things about his time at Chelsea he has replaced fat frank so he is despised by both media and chelsea fans. Also he does not have the same role he had here last season
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,536 posts | 3140 
      • Better Red Than Dead @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1302: Mar 06, 2012 02:11:48 pm
      Couldn't have two of them in the same side

F**k yeah, ain't that the truth... for all his prancing about and running he didn't really create that many chances (about half of our MoTD player) even when he was playing in the hole... not taking into account his chicken-sh*t attitude or the big, yellow, streak which ran the length of his back.

In hindsight Kenny did well getting rid of him... knows his stuff does the King.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1303: Mar 06, 2012 02:18:31 pm
      Just for people attention as they are obviously have short memories. Raul had our most assists last season. He was vital to the pass and move football we played last season we replaced him with a statue this season.  People can continue with the loaded responses but all it really does is show lack of knowledge in terms of movement.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,653 posts | 2002 
      Reply #1304: Mar 06, 2012 02:27:52 pm
      Just for people attention as they are obviously have short memories. Raul had our most assists last season.

And his replacement has the most this season.

Is your memory even worse than ours?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1305: Mar 06, 2012 02:39:57 pm
      Just for people attention as they are obviously have short memories. Raul had our most assists last season. He was vital to the pass and move football we played last season we replaced him with a statue this season.  People can continue with the loaded responses but all it really does is show lack of knowledge in terms of movement.

No it doesn't.. If people think that he didn't do enough then that's their right to think that. I wanted an upgrade on Raul last summer ( for the record I still do)

I think there are other reasons we moved him on and that's fine by me.

Wasn't he played wide left a lot of the time last season anyway ?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1306: Mar 06, 2012 02:47:10 pm
      Any that tells me he didn't link well with Suarez really has forgotten last season and the start of this thread
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1307: Mar 06, 2012 02:50:26 pm
      Any that tells me he didn't link well with Suarez really has forgotten last season and the start of this thread

Didn't say he didn't I just think we can do better and I stand by that.

Wasn't upset he left.

Do you watch all football in highlights?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1308: Mar 06, 2012 03:01:29 pm
      No that is why i was so anti the signing of Charlie Adam. Both Liverpool and Suarez have missed meireles
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1309: Mar 06, 2012 03:07:59 pm
      No that is why i was so anti the signing of Charlie Adam. Both Liverpool and Suarez have missed meireles

I wouldn't say missed Merieles but Adam hasn't improved us. I still feel we need someone better than both.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,719 posts | 2314 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1310: Mar 06, 2012 03:28:17 pm
      I actually think he wasn't by any means a "MOTD player", it's actually the opposite, even when he wasn't on one of his best days, his intelligent movement was always a good asset to the team.

And it's amazing how easy everyone forgets he was most of the time being played out of position... he's not a winger, but was used mostly on the right
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,536 posts | 3140 
      Reply #1311: Mar 06, 2012 04:03:08 pm
      I actually quite liked him but not to the extent that I could bring myself to yearn for his return or lament his departure. What's done is done, time to let go.

I'm sure all his many and wonderful attributes will see him succeed at Chelsea. Especially now that he's not being played out of his preferred position.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,378 posts | 3182 
      Reply #1312: Mar 06, 2012 04:08:56 pm

In hindsight Kenny did well getting rid of him... knows his stuff does the King.

Commitment or the lack of it did jump at you when he played mate.
      Diego LFC
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,719 posts | 2314 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1313: Mar 06, 2012 05:40:29 pm
      I actually quite liked him but not to the extent that I could bring myself to yearn for his return or lament his departure. What's done is done, time to let go.

Agree about that, he's a good player in my eyes but not one to be sadly missed. I think he's a better player than Hendo and Adam are the moment, but not one that is impossible to be replaced.

But...

I'm sure all his many and wonderful attributes will see him succeed at Chelsea. Especially now that he's not being played out of his preferred position.

There are many reasons why a player can fail at a particular club and Torres who was great for us prove that. So...  :roll:

I actually lost a lot of respect for Raul after he requested a transfer, and wouldn't want him back anyway, but thinking without any passion, I think his football qualities are very unfairly remembered in this forum. What seems to be an excuse for Henderson - playing out of position - is easily forgotten when we're talking about Raul; and the biggest source of criticism for Raul (tackling) doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with Hendo either.

After all, Hendo is with us and Raul decided to f**k off, so I know who I really care about. I just like reasonable debate and can't agree with the flawed logic applied to these players
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,536 posts | 3140 
      Reply #1314: Mar 06, 2012 07:29:54 pm
      What seems to be an excuse for Henderson - playing out of position - is easily forgotten when we're talking about Raul; and the biggest source of criticism for Raul (tackling) doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with Hendo either.

After all, Hendo is with us and Raul decided to f**k off, so I know who I really care about. I just like reasonable debate and can't agree with the flawed logic applied to these players

Indeed Diego and that "flawed" logic works both ways; doesn't it?  :-\

I mean; if we overlook his lack of prowess in the tackling department then surely we can do the same for Henderson or whoever.  ;)

Or, alternatively if we praise Raul for leading the midfield in assists last season... then surely we should, at least, afford the same luxury to whoever's leading the team, in that particular area this season; no? Wouldn't that be a reasonable?

I pretty much defended Raul, when he was here, (give or take the odd joke about his tackling) as I seen him as a talented footballer. Much as I do with our current crop of new boys.

We've an old saying where I'm from "I didn't come down in the last shower" - I use it often but usually never more than once to someone who doesn't know me.   :angel:

I actually think he wasn't by any means a "MOTD player"
      Ah... you saw the question mark "A MoTD player?"... handy fuckers them punctuation marks, ain't they? Thanks for the reply. I happen to agree.
      « Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012 08:15:05 pm by bad boy bubby »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1315: Mar 06, 2012 07:41:16 pm
      Agree Diego if posters think he is a match of the day player they really dont know what is meant by that
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1316: Mar 06, 2012 09:14:24 pm
      Just scored a f**king belter. MOTD goal :D
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,265 posts | 287 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1317: Mar 06, 2012 09:26:22 pm
      If we did have him, i doubt goals from midfield would be an issue.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,536 posts | 3140 
      Reply #1318: Mar 06, 2012 09:54:42 pm
      If we did have him, i doubt goals from midfield would be an issue.

I suppose the same could be said of Frank Lampard. Or better still - a fit and fully firing Ste. Gerrard.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1319: Mar 06, 2012 09:56:59 pm
      Ya better at getting forward then his replacement
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,265 posts | 287 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1320: Mar 06, 2012 09:58:20 pm
      I suppose the same could be said of Frank Lampard. Or better still - a fit and fully firing Ste. Gerrard.

Yeah, but Stevie is hardly fit these days and wouldn't you rather have two midfielders capable of scoring goals regularly.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,259 posts | 2359 
      Reply #1321: Mar 06, 2012 10:57:25 pm
      Ya better at getting forward then his replacement

Bit unfair Corballyred - Henderson is  young and has done a shift.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1322: Mar 06, 2012 11:01:04 pm
      Im talking about the other lad mate i like Henderson
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,493 posts | 2296 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1323: Mar 06, 2012 11:01:06 pm
      He does remind me of Hendo.
      Has a good touch and movement,
      But is often played out of position.
      Excellent when played in the hole and so is Hendo.
      Both often played out wide and less effectively.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,259 posts | 2359 
      Reply #1324: Mar 06, 2012 11:05:55 pm
      Im talking about the other lad mate i like Henderson

Oh, Charlie - again. Right you are, my mistake

Quick Reply