Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Raul Meireles (Fenerbahçe)

Read 154401 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Raul Meireles (Chelsea)
      Reply #1127: Sep 01, 2011 01:16:30 pm
      So Henderson coming in was why he was sold strange that mac, it was Kuyt on the right side a lot last season lot of Sunderland fans as well don't rate Henderson in a central role.

Really at a loss as well why he wouldn't have been a good option in the squad. I personally think from what we have seen of him with Suarez would have been invaluable for us this season
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #1128: Sep 01, 2011 01:23:57 pm
      Maxi does everything he does and more.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1129: Sep 01, 2011 01:25:39 pm
      I not the biggest fan of either Jase, but Meireles is better than Maxi.  However, no-one came in with an offer of £12m for him and he didn't put in a transfer request... so...
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #1130: Sep 01, 2011 01:28:38 pm
      Each to their own mate, I didn't see the fuss about Meireles apart from his purple patch in Jan and Feb and the 3-1 win over United.

Maxi scores goals, creates, has good movement and links well with Suarez. Raul was played on the wing a lot as Kuyt was moved up top with Suarez and is not a better winger than Maxi.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #1131: Sep 01, 2011 01:31:07 pm
      So Henderson coming in was why he was sold strange that mac, it was Kuyt on the right side a lot last season lot of Sunderland fans as well don't rate Henderson in a central role.

From what I saw on Saturday Henderson looked perfectly capable of playing centrally. I'm disappointed to see Raul go but by no means am I pissed off Henderson will take his place.

EDIT: to me it looked like he was playing centrally but having check the Guardian chalkboards it doesn't look like it. But still think he is capable of switching with Kuyt or playing there.

And you say Sunderland fans don't rate him centrally and you've said it since he signed. Could it be and I'm just throwing this out there... that maybe Sunderland fans were doing what we all when a player leaves and say "oh well he wasn't that great anyway"?
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2011 01:41:20 pm by KS67 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1132: Sep 01, 2011 01:53:46 pm

And you say Sunderland fans don't rate him centrally and you've said it since he signed. Could it be and I'm just throwing this out there... that maybe Sunderland fans were doing what we all when a player leaves and say "oh well he wasn't that great anyway"?

No, it was during the season too, they complained about his negative passing and tackling.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #1133: Sep 01, 2011 01:58:58 pm
      No, it was during the season too, they complained about his negative passing and tackling.

From what I've seen his passing isn't negative.

Don't really give a F**k about what some Sunderland fans say, wouldn't know a footballer if one smacked them in the face. They idolise Niall F***ing Quinn for christ sake!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1134: Sep 01, 2011 02:15:24 pm
      Opportunity for him in the Liverpool team when we had three midfielders in the middle, but now we are back to two lets face facts he wasn't going to play much.  

He might get a bit more action at Chelsea simply because they have the Champions League and he may see some League action either side of those games.

If we had European football this year then I would have kept him.  But we don't.  Even if we get to the final in one of the competitions we are only looking at about 40 more games this season.

It would have to be a pretty unfortunate consequence of injuries to miss him, and January isn't far away in any case.  

I won't miss him, and I doubt the team will either.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #1135: Sep 01, 2011 02:18:03 pm
      Rumors going around we got £20m for him, doubt it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1136: Sep 01, 2011 02:18:47 pm
      Rumors going around we got £20m for him, doubt it.

Don't tell SS that or he'll explode
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #1137: Sep 01, 2011 02:32:51 pm
      Think he will prove a great signing for Chelsea especially for 12 million, less than Arsenal paid for Chamberlain just to put it in prospective. Chelsea were missing legs in midfield, Raul will give them this as the stat that showed he ran more than any other player in the Premiership showed.

He is a great technical player and will be very good in tandem with Mata as he was when he played with Suarez. Bellamy did not replace Raul he replaced Ngog, no one replaced Raul so our squad was weakened and Chelsea strengthened.

I'm really disappointed this was left to the very end of the window and Raul was not replaced because I'm pretty sure now that the club wanted to sell Raul as Rory Smith said in March when he interviewed him, he has never seen a player happier at a club around the same time he said he would sign for the club for life if he was asked.

Something obviously happened in the mean time

if you want to look @ it like that then, Arteta, Pjanic, and Vidal were all bought for less (and all offer much more, and fill the void of what Chelsea were looking for @ the CM position).....
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #1138: Sep 01, 2011 04:09:57 pm
      If you look closely, you will find another LFC midfielder at that England U-21 site ...

http://www.thefa.com/England/All-Teams/Players/S/jonjo-shelvey
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #1139: Sep 01, 2011 05:05:48 pm
      I actually liked the guy, thought he gave us another option going forward.

Am disappointed that he's gone but, moreso with the way it was done tbh. I do think it has left us a bit weaker as a team but, not hugely so and January isn't too far away to buy someone else.

I do now think he has been a bit of a c**t to do it as he did but, as has already been said, if he was promised a wage increase from his £35,000 and the club didn't deliver, he has a right to be pissed off I guess. Then again though, I haven't had a pay increase for over 2 years and I don't earn per year what he earns in a week.

Bottom line is, he aint no big loss but, I thought he was better than some people gave him credit for.
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #1140: Sep 01, 2011 05:22:25 pm
      I saw it coming though. The midfield was crowded. And we have our young Anfield lad who actually made a very good showing of himself last season covering for Gerrard.

We won't miss Raul. he needs to have his own Benayoun-experience at Chelsea.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #1141: Sep 01, 2011 05:23:35 pm
      Maybe, whatever I am going to say has already been said.
      TBH, I am not really sad that Meireles has left us. He is 28 and this was the best time we could have made money by selling him.  If he had stayed longer, then he would have become the deadwood we would be trying to clear. Another thing is Meireles is not really versatile.  But, I am sure he did not want to leave the club as it is made out to be. He was not given what was promised and I have a feeling that he is made to look like a c**t.

Also, I am not sure why we are abusing Torres. He is not a Liverpool player anymore. And, I don't give a f**k what he does. Meireles is no Alonso and he is not going to deliver quality balls for Torres to tap into the goals.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #1142: Sep 01, 2011 05:32:41 pm
      Wish you all the best Raul, but not against us!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1143: Sep 01, 2011 06:12:26 pm
      Mac you are not serious about shelvey replacing Raul.  He has a long long way to go watched him recently in that u19game and he was the worst midfield on show
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #1144: Sep 01, 2011 06:20:28 pm
      Something obviously happened in the mean time

Chelsea turned his head.

I'm failing to see how anyone is backing this lads decision.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1145: Sep 01, 2011 06:32:25 pm
      Apparently he was offered a better deal from the previous regime if he had a successful season. £35,000 grand a week obviously wasn't enough for him, my heart bleeds. Chelsea came in with an offer, turned his head and he was off.

The only part that pissed me off was that he waited till the deadline day to hand in the request making it practically impossible to bring in another player before the window shut. Was one of my favorite players last season but I won't be giving him any plaudits when he walks on the Anfield pitch.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1146: Sep 01, 2011 06:51:41 pm
      I think he was happy here but something changed within the club. He was estatic to be here in March something changed. It ain't luck that most liverpool journalist s just guessed he was surplus to requirements in June and would be sold if we got a similar to fee what we ended up getting
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1147: Sep 01, 2011 06:55:57 pm
      No one has been brought in to place Raul because he was never going to be a starting 11 player under Kenny in the first place, Kenny wanted rid of him and he has done so, Kenny brought in Henderson, Adam and Downing to make our midfield better in quality and depth not to replace Raul, Raul obviously knew he would not get to play every game and thought he would have a better chance starting at Chelsea, which I think he will.

Raul doesn't need to be replaced all along I think it was Kennys plan to bring in Adam and Henderson and take out Aquilani and Merieles.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #1148: Sep 01, 2011 06:56:01 pm
      I think he was happy here but something changed within the club. He was estatic to be here in March something changed. It ain't luck that most liverpool journalist s just guessed he was surplus to requirements in June and would be sold if we got a similar to fee what we ended up getting

He was happy in March when we were winning games and he (thought) he would be rewarded with a new contract. It's easy to be happy then.

But over summer, when the club wanted him to stay on his current deal and push on, he didn't like that. Chelsea clearly turned his head and he was done with Liverpool FC.

That's what changed. Not too much to figure out. He's better of a Chav.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #1149: Sep 01, 2011 06:57:40 pm
      We should still get Chelsea done for tapping up.

Quick Reply