Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Raul Meireles (Fenerbahçe)

Read 154582 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Raul Meireles (Chelsea)
      Reply #1311: Mar 06, 2012 05:40:29 pm
      I actually quite liked him but not to the extent that I could bring myself to yearn for his return or lament his departure. What's done is done, time to let go.

Agree about that, he's a good player in my eyes but not one to be sadly missed. I think he's a better player than Hendo and Adam are the moment, but not one that is impossible to be replaced.

But...

I'm sure all his many and wonderful attributes will see him succeed at Chelsea. Especially now that he's not being played out of his preferred position.

There are many reasons why a player can fail at a particular club and Torres who was great for us prove that. So...  :roll:

I actually lost a lot of respect for Raul after he requested a transfer, and wouldn't want him back anyway, but thinking without any passion, I think his football qualities are very unfairly remembered in this forum. What seems to be an excuse for Henderson - playing out of position - is easily forgotten when we're talking about Raul; and the biggest source of criticism for Raul (tackling) doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with Hendo either.

After all, Hendo is with us and Raul decided to f**k off, so I know who I really care about. I just like reasonable debate and can't agree with the flawed logic applied to these players
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1312: Mar 06, 2012 07:29:54 pm
      What seems to be an excuse for Henderson - playing out of position - is easily forgotten when we're talking about Raul; and the biggest source of criticism for Raul (tackling) doesn't seem to be too much of a problem with Hendo either.

After all, Hendo is with us and Raul decided to f**k off, so I know who I really care about. I just like reasonable debate and can't agree with the flawed logic applied to these players

Indeed Diego and that "flawed" logic works both ways; doesn't it?  :-\

I mean; if we overlook his lack of prowess in the tackling department then surely we can do the same for Henderson or whoever.  ;)

Or, alternatively if we praise Raul for leading the midfield in assists last season... then surely we should, at least, afford the same luxury to whoever's leading the team, in that particular area this season; no? Wouldn't that be a reasonable?

I pretty much defended Raul, when he was here, (give or take the odd joke about his tackling) as I seen him as a talented footballer. Much as I do with our current crop of new boys.

We've an old saying where I'm from "I didn't come down in the last shower" - I use it often but usually never more than once to someone who doesn't know me.   :angel:

I actually think he wasn't by any means a "MOTD player"
      Ah... you saw the question mark "A MoTD player?"... handy fuckers them punctuation marks, ain't they? Thanks for the reply. I happen to agree.
      « Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012 08:15:05 pm by bad boy bubby »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1313: Mar 06, 2012 07:41:16 pm
      Agree Diego if posters think he is a match of the day player they really dont know what is meant by that
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1314: Mar 06, 2012 09:14:24 pm
      Just scored a F***ing belter. MOTD goal :D
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1315: Mar 06, 2012 09:26:22 pm
      If we did have him, i doubt goals from midfield would be an issue.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1316: Mar 06, 2012 09:54:42 pm
      If we did have him, i doubt goals from midfield would be an issue.

I suppose the same could be said of Frank Lampard. Or better still - a fit and fully firing Ste. Gerrard.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1317: Mar 06, 2012 09:56:59 pm
      Ya better at getting forward then his replacement
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1318: Mar 06, 2012 09:58:20 pm
      I suppose the same could be said of Frank Lampard. Or better still - a fit and fully firing Ste. Gerrard.

Yeah, but Stevie is hardly fit these days and wouldn't you rather have two midfielders capable of scoring goals regularly.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1319: Mar 06, 2012 10:57:25 pm
      Ya better at getting forward then his replacement

Bit unfair Corballyred - Henderson is  young and has done a shift.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1320: Mar 06, 2012 11:01:04 pm
      Im talking about the other lad mate i like Henderson
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1321: Mar 06, 2012 11:01:06 pm
      He does remind me of Hendo.
      Has a good touch and movement,
      But is often played out of position.
      Excellent when played in the hole and so is Hendo.
      Both often played out wide and less effectively.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1322: Mar 06, 2012 11:05:55 pm
      Im talking about the other lad mate i like Henderson

Oh, Charlie - again. Right you are, my mistake
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1323: Mar 06, 2012 11:20:00 pm
      Deserved a pay rise in my opinion, just baffled at times why we let him go and have a fresh new mid field yet miereles,maxi,lucas & gerrard served us well.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1324: Mar 07, 2012 12:09:28 am
      Ah Raul,

Only memory in my mind

kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1325: Mar 07, 2012 04:28:49 pm
      I'll remember the goal vs. Chelsea and obviously the belter against Wolves.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1326: Mar 08, 2012 12:48:22 am
      the goal against Everton was good too.. damn you Raul.

I also remember fondly this passage of play against the mancs.. at the start of the game Kuyt got a hat trick I believe... I think Suarez had it and passed wide to Raul and he held it for a bit and gave a long ball back in a stunning area where Suarez should have smacked it right into the net, but the pass was just too good and too precise, too quick for Luis! that was Raul right??
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1327: Mar 08, 2012 11:36:00 am
      Indeed Diego and that "flawed" logic works both ways; doesn't it?  :-\

I mean; if we overlook his lack of prowess in the tackling department then surely we can do the same for Henderson or whoever.  ;)

Or, alternatively if we praise Raul for leading the midfield in assists last season... then surely we should, at least, afford the same luxury to whoever's leading the team, in that particular area this season; no? Wouldn't that be a reasonable?

I pretty much defended Raul, when he was here, (give or take the odd joke about his tackling) as I seen him as a talented footballer. Much as I do with our current crop of new boys.

We've an old saying where I'm from "I didn't come down in the last shower" - I use it often but usually never more than once to someone who doesn't know me.   :angel:
      Ah... you saw the question mark "A MoTD player?"... handy fuckers them punctuation marks, ain't they? Thanks for the reply. I happen to agree.

Don't understand the need of constant irony but yeah, pretty much we don't disagree, and I never implied you said he was a MOTD player - some people in this forum do talk about him as a 'highlights' player though, which I believe to be very unfair to his qualities.

And I would certainly overlook Hendo's tackling if he provided the team with as many goals and assists as Raul did, but he isn't doing that at the moment, so I think we've actually gone backwards in that department - not by a huge margin, but I think Raul did better for us in his only season here. As for Adam, I've always defended him because I think he gets ridiculous stick and is blamed for everything, but I still think Raul is a much more complete player. They have quite different roles in the squad anyway, so it's harder to compare.

And just a bit more of substance to what I called a 'flawed logic'...

Raul Meireles, The Portuguese Pussy - Mins per tackle: 32 (2010/11)
      Jordan Henderson, The English Warrior - Mins per tackle: 52 (2011/12)

He does remind me of Hendo.
      Has a good touch and movement,
      But is often played out of position.
      Excellent when played in the hole and so is Hendo.
      Both often played out wide and less effectively.

Exactly. I don't compare him to Adam at all, the most obvious and fair comparison would be with Henderson, his "replacement" if I can call him that.

And if Raul "only looks great in highlights", I must say good then, because Hendo doesn't look great not even in highlights. And that is because he isn't great at all. He might very well turn into a great one (and I'm putting faith that he will), but he isn't, not yet. The only attribute in which he excels is his short passing, but in terms of creativity, finishing, dribbling, he still has a lot to improve.

I'm not sure if that's a 'confidence' thing, perhaps more a case of mentality, but Hendo really could do with more adventure to his game. Yes, we all appreciate the pass and movement nature of his game, but there are times in which just the short and safe play isn't the best option. Against Arsenal, he had a chance to have a go for himself in front of the goal, decided to go backwards instead, and passed to Kuyt - awful decision, since the Dutchman was already marked by then and we wasted a great chance. Sometimes he just kills the pace of a counter attack by not playing the ball forwards! It's all nice and good for the young fella to keep the ball rolling, but sometimes a midfielder do have to play a long ball, do the unexpected, and I'm hoping he'll develop this part of his game in the near future.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1328: Mar 08, 2012 11:59:01 am
      He has a great shot on him. :D
      Loved that and his *ahem* tekkers.
      That much needed ability to hit the F***ing target.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1329: Mar 09, 2012 07:55:04 pm
      And just a bit more of substance to what I called a 'flawed logic'...

Raul Meireles, The Portuguese Pussy - Mins per tackle: 32 (2010/11)
      Jordan Henderson, The English Warrior - Mins per tackle: 52 (2011/12)
      You can't argue with stats, I suppose, or can you? Some might want to and even suggest that the quality of the tackle, not the quantity is what matters but to be honest it's all irrelevant to me Diego. Why?... Because when push comes to shove; like it's says in the title... Raul Meireles (Chelsea). I did like him when he was here. I don't care one iota about him now... hence the joking and teasing.

I don't know why he went, for sure (no-one does). I don't know if he was wanted here or didn't want to be here. He could well have been more of an asset than Henderson is right now but he does have seven years experience and head-start on Jordan.

He might very well turn into a great one (and I'm putting faith that he will), but he isn't, not yet. The only attribute in which he excels is his short passing, but in terms of creativity, finishing, dribbling, he still has a lot to improve.
      Whole-heartedly agree mate. I must also add the hope that, after seven years of improvement, Jordan the Red ends up better than Raul the Blue.

By the way; the 'irony' wasn't aimed at you.

And on that bombshell... goodnight.   ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1330: Mar 15, 2012 11:17:31 pm
      Apparently he isn't happy with Villas-Boas' sacking and wants out of Stamford Bridge in the summer.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1331: Mar 15, 2012 11:45:01 pm
      Was a big fan of Raul when he was here. At the end of the day you've got to ask the question - him or Adam? Yes he was a bit of a pussy but he had the right ideas going forward and would have no doubt have contributed to us winning a few more points than we already have at the moment.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1332: Mar 15, 2012 11:59:01 pm
      Wasn't in the squad last night and was taken off after 38 minutes on Saturday.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1333: Mar 16, 2012 12:05:39 am
      Wasn't in the squad last night and was taken off after 38 minutes on Saturday.
      He was on his 3rd yellow ,Adryan.

Quick Reply