Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

La Liga

Read 357434 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: La Liga
      Reply #1127: Nov 01, 2014 09:13:14 pm

One of those things

They missed lots of chances

We think we have issues, imagine having those three up front and getting beat twice on the trot
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1128: Nov 08, 2014 06:37:54 pm
      1-0 down and Barca looking dead and buried tbh, then they bring on Suarez.....

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1129: Nov 08, 2014 07:51:06 pm
      Barca are doing what lead to their downfall last season, far too much rotation. Lucky to grab a 2-1 win today.

Luis started on the bench, wouldn't of happened here lad ;)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1130: Nov 08, 2014 08:13:14 pm
      Wonderful goal by Kroos!!! wow.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1131: Nov 15, 2014 01:07:31 pm

What type of player were you as an 11 year old?

"I think I haven't changed at all to what I am now. I've been a passer since a young age. I liked passing with the rest of the players and my friends when we played football on the streets, in the main square, and at school. I think I was very similar to what people see in the stadium."

Who were your British idols at that time?

"I remember John Barnes, Paul Gascoigne and Matt Le Tissier. We used to watch a lot of English football. They used to show highlights and Le Tissier scored some spectacular goals. I remember the European Championships in England with Gascoigne playing some great matches and remember the 'sombrero' at Wembley [Gascoigne's goal against Scotland]. It was spectacular."

Favourite current English player?

"It's difficult, there is a lot of talent out there and I think Jack Wilshire is an amazing player, very good. Raheem Sterling has a great future ahead of him. Then there's the older guys such as Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and John Terry. They're part of English history, winning every single title."

Which English player would you have loved to have at Barcelona?

"I would have in my team any top technically-gifted player. John Barnes was one, Paul Gascoigne another. Gerrard could have played for Barcelona, as could Lampard. They're players with top-quality technique. Here we prioritise technique over the physical aspect of the game. So a lot of English players could play for Barcelona."

Suarez, Messi and Neymar

"The press give those three the top headlines and they are the ones that can make the difference on their own. It's a luxury to have them at the club and from there we have to take advantage of that."

On Luiz Suarez

"I already knew Luis Suarez through Gabri [former Spanish international and now part of Barcelona's coaching staff]. I think he is an extraordinary person and I think he can make the difference on his own. He dribbles past two or three players on his own, which is difficult to find in today's game. He is a natural leader and a very nice person in the dressing room. I think it is an extraordinary purchase and he will definitely make a difference."

Messi in the Premier League

"I think he'd be even better in the Premier League because it is not so defensive. When defending against Barcelona, they [English clubs] play on a 1 v 1 basis, defending with passion, a lot of energy. But Leo would find more spaces than in La Liga."

Playing in England

"The Premier League is a very attractive. Liverpool, for example, is a team that has something special - the stadium, the fans, everything. But I always prioritise Barcelona - it's my life, it's my world. I am lucky and wouldn't change it for anything. Matt Le Tissier never left Southampton, so I think it was a good thing for him, however nowadays there are few cases of this. But I have had the luck of being with Barcelona for so many years."

The perfect goals or the perfect assist?

"I think I have had the luck of making the perfect assist in the Champions League final and the Euro 2012 final. It's true that I would have liked to have scored in a Champions League final, but I have made assists, which is my objective."

Future Barcelona manager?

"I don't know, maybe. I would love to work for Barcelona because I am a Barcelona fan. This sport is my passion and this would be the maximum for me. Let's see what the future holds but, for now, I really enjoy my football. Many ex-players have told me to keep on playing for as long as possible."

Do foreign imports block home-grown talent?

"No, I don't think so. I think that a competitive footballer and one that's capable will succeed. We also have a lot people in Spain that have had to play in other leagues in other countries. They have been succeeding and in the end they go to the national squad, so the footballer with a very high standard of football will succeed."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30058904

Good interview from Xavi if anyone's interested!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1132: Dec 08, 2014 02:20:45 pm
      Real Madrid signed a wonderkid called, Marco Asensio. Watching YT clips of him he really does look amazing and looks to be a very similar player to Sterling too.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1133: Dec 08, 2014 09:29:36 pm
      Real Madrid signed a wonderkid called, Marco Asensio. Watching YT clips of him he really does look amazing and looks to be a very similar player to Sterling too.

Lets hope that means they wont be going for Sterling too then.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1134: Dec 08, 2014 10:34:35 pm
      Ronaldo back to doing what he does best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv-M2gRVmZ0
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1135: Dec 13, 2014 08:56:17 pm
      Getafe held Barcelona to a scoreless draw. The ref blew the full-time whistle right when Getafe were about to create a chance to win:

Arbitro pita final del partido cuando jugador del Getafe iba a marcar gol - Getafe vs Barcelona 2014

This one wasn't as egregious as others I've seen, to be fair.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1136: Dec 28, 2014 11:33:09 pm
      I miss La Liga :(
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1137: Jan 04, 2015 05:58:21 pm
      Valencia are looking really strong at the moment, I can see them finishing 4th. Deservedly beat Real, great game to watch!

Also, with La Liga TV money being shared next season, I think the league will become a lot stronger and possibly over take PL in the next 2-3 years and will be a huge attraction to footballers. No more cheap buys from La Liga for PL clubs soon!
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1138: Jan 04, 2015 06:32:18 pm
      Ex-player Antonio Barragan scored against Madrid in Valencia's 2-1 win.

Exciting times for Valencia - they were in limbo for a decade when Benitez left for us but they seem to be finding their feet again.

The manager Nuno and his assistant manager - young Scottish coach called Ian Cathro - are well worth looking out for.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1139: Jan 04, 2015 09:29:17 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1140: Jan 04, 2015 09:56:22 pm
      Real Madrid lost. Barcelona lost (to a team managed by "The Chosen One" ;D). Damn good day in La Liga.

young Scottish coach called Ian Cathro - are well worth looking out for.

I just Googled Cathro. F***ing hell, he's only 28?!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1141: Jan 04, 2015 09:57:31 pm
      Moyes the footballing genius stopped Barca ;D.

Enrique was stupid to bench Messi, Neymar Rakitic & Alves.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1142: Jan 04, 2015 10:05:08 pm
      Enrique was stupid to bench Messi, Neymar Rakitic & Alves.

They don't learn; they fu**ed up in the league last season because of far too much rotation and they are doing the same again this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1143: Jan 04, 2015 10:09:01 pm
      Moyes what a beast doing a number on Enrique. He's not really inspiring so far as a manager.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1144: Jan 04, 2015 10:48:48 pm
      Think Enrique is out of his depth here.

Could be the first big club manager to be given the sack in 2015.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1145: Jan 04, 2015 11:39:07 pm
      Think Enrique is out of his depth here.

Could be the first big club manager to be given the sack in 2015.

They started well, went a long time without even letting in a goal but then he started all the rotation and it's costing them.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #1146: Jan 04, 2015 11:43:06 pm
      How's Luis doing lads? Not seen much of Barca this year.

Amazed they rested Messi and Neymar considering Atletico won to put pressure on yesterday and Real lost today.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1147: Jan 04, 2015 11:52:04 pm
      They started well, went a long time without even letting in a goal but then he started all the rotation and it's costing them.

I agree. Ridiculous to rotate/rest their 4 best attacking players after a winter break, it just makes no sense.... unless they were all carrying an injury :p

How's Luis doing lads? Not seen much of Barca this year.

Amazed they rested Messi and Neymar considering Atletico won to put pressure on yesterday and Real lost today.

Personally, I think Suarez is trying to impress too much, he doesn't seem to be playing with that freedom and confidence he had here. His decision making has been poor too, looks for Neymar & Messi way too much instead of playing his own game. He has been good, but not world class.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1148: Jan 05, 2015 12:51:08 am

They have played less than impressive and eye catching football.

Perhaps teams have "found them out" Enrique has done next to nothing to show he can change the system and impose his own style. It's still a combination of Martino's football of a broken tiki-taka style with individual brilliance of the front 3 disguising the flaws.

He lacks bottle too and seems to be reluctant to drop Xavi even though he is well past it now, he brought in Rakitic to cover that role yet has used him sparringly and has preferred Xavi in the "big" games.

One that gets me though is the persistance of not just Enrique but Pep, Martino and Tito using Mascherano as a center back. The man is a monster in the dm role and showed as much during the WC, perhaps it's the pressure and expectation of playing the Barca developed Busquets ahead of him akin to the Xavi/Rakitic scenario.
      Bier
      Reply #1149: Jan 05, 2015 12:27:25 pm
      Barcelona are mad at Ajax because Ajax anounced the signing of 18 year old goalkeeper Onana, who's contract is running out with Barcelona at the end of this season. Hypocrites much?

Quick Reply