Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

How have we fared in the transfer market this Summer 2010

Read 12801 times
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Re: How have we fared in the transfer market this Summer 2010
      Reply #115: Sep 01, 2010 09:38:30 am
      I was going to post a nice, intricate, reply showing why there's so much wrong with that post. I actually can't be arsed 'cause I just know you won't understand.

;D - you can't put together a reply pointing out what's wrong with my post for 2 reasons; 1) because I'm right, and 2) because my post is based on MY OPINION! :-)
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #116: Sep 01, 2010 09:41:13 am
      Meireles - Great Signing

Konchesky, Aurelio, Poulsen - We'll See...

Cole - Hailed as the saviour of LFC - Big cover up at just how sh*t this summer has been

The Yanks are destroying this club - Asset stripping at its best!

October the 6th will be a VERY dark day for our club

YANKS OUT - PURSLOW OUT - BROUGHTON (LYING BLUE NOSED sh*t) - OUT

Since when was Broughton a "blue nose"???
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #117: Sep 01, 2010 09:44:06 am
      ;D - you can't put together a reply pointing out what's wrong with my post for 2 reasons; 1) because I'm right, and 2) because my post is based on MY OPINION! :-)

Okay buddy; you're right: It's the youth policy that's sucking money out of the club.

If by "I'm right" you mean "I've got the I.Q. of a coat" then, indeed, you are "right".
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #118: Sep 01, 2010 09:44:57 am
      Since when was Broughton a "blue nose"???

Chelsea Fan?!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #119: Sep 01, 2010 09:47:19 am
      Another good window of business for g&h.
      Nothing like stripping the playing staff (Youth-First team) down to the bare minimum.
      Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arse
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #120: Sep 01, 2010 09:51:23 am
      Okay buddy; you're right: It's the youth policy that's sucking money out of the club.

If by "I'm right" you mean "I've got the I.Q. of a coat" then, indeed, you are "right".

:lmao: :lmao:
      thephotoman
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #121: Sep 01, 2010 09:52:25 am
      Disappointed there has been no striker signed but not totally unexpected tbh.

Personally think the last minute interest in Cole was out of desperation. Only days earlier RH states he didn't fit the make-up of what we were looking for but on final day the club allegedly in with a bid. I'm glad it didn't come off as signing Konchesky and Cole on the last day would condemn us to look like a 2nd-tier london club who always struggle to stay in the PL.

Let us all now pray to the pagan gods that FT, SG et al can have an injury free 1st half of season getting us into a comfortable top4 spot before the next window opens, in the hope we can hold on to them in January should nobody have bought the club....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #122: Sep 01, 2010 09:55:04 am

For me, the only promising thing to come out of the transfer window is the sale of a number of young players. Very rarely do they come to anything in terms of adding quality to the 1st team or in terms of making a profit. All they do is suck money out of the club in their development and contracts. Right now, we should be keeping players who can improve the team/add quality depth. I don't have any problem at all in RH selling a bunch of youngsters that we've paying for a few years who haven't got a hope in hell of making the 1st team. So what if they're young?!!?!

Tell that to Rodolfo when he is trying emulate the Barca youth system and we keep selling off the players.
      We are being asset stripped right now. Surely you can see that.

We have some quality in our ranks at youth and reserve level but there has been a massive cull in this window.
      We are crying out for quality strikers and the only pure striker we had at lower levels we offloaded to Fulham.
      The rest are converted wingers before you ask...
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #123: Sep 01, 2010 10:18:02 am
      Obviously different people will look at this in different ways - be it Total spend, net spend, what positions we filled, what positions we didnt fill, who we let go when we shouldnt have done, etc etc.

We needed a back up striker to Torres - and we didnt get one (unless Woy did a deal which no-one knows about and is announced today) - and that fact alone makes this a poor window.

Given we spent nothing in January, Net spend is about £20 million NEGATIVE - more than enough a top striker. So again, poor.

Our total spend was something like £23m - and that was on 2 free's, 2 youngsters, a replacement back up keeper, replacement DM's and an aging left back we swapped for two great young prospects. So - average at best.

We've lost Yossi (one of our better creative players), and Masch (who is one of the best DM's in the world, even though his last few months at the club attitude wise stank somewhat).

As for the new guys - it is too early to say, although we all hope Cole, Jova, Paulson, Konchesky and Raul will slot in easily.

So, overall, because we failed to get a back up striker, it has to have been a v.poor window. At least we kept Torres & Gerrard - otherwise it would have been a complete disaster
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #124: Sep 01, 2010 10:38:41 am
      For me this has been a pretty bad transfer window for us.We might not realise its repercussions straight away but its surely going to come back to haunt us in the future.The transfers we have made are an accurate reflection of the state of our club-one with no vision and no future direction.We have sacrificed two amazingly talented players to bring in a stop-gap LB who is at best a half-decent player.Now this transfer would have made some sense if we were desperately short in that department but when consider that we already had players in the squad who could do a much better job than him,it reminds me of Ibra-Eto'o joke.I can bet on my life that LDV would go on to become a superstar.We all know Fulham were ready to pay 3.5 mn for an unproven youngster like him so goes to show a lot about his quality.

Another youngster who has face the burnt of this vision-less business is Insua.Ok,maybe he did not have the greatest of seasons last year but you dont expect a youngster in his first year of regular first-team action to start playing like Ramos or Alves.He did struggle last year to come to grips with the gap between reserves and first team football but in due time he could have been one hell of a player.

I just hope we see the end of current ownership by the time Jan comes around otherwise we might see our reserves and under-18 squads which are currently brimming with quality that rivals any other club in the world reduced to ashes.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #125: Sep 01, 2010 11:25:48 am

No need to be insulting, unless that's as far as your debating skills allow you to go. Shall we start again? My problem with the youth program is that  these players cost a lot of money to sign, develop, pay etc and they nearly always bring sweet FA to the table before disappearing for peanuts. How many players have come through the system in the last 10 years to make a difference to the 1st team? How much have we spent on fees, development and salaries on them in the last 10 years? The slim chance of developing a strong 1st team player in no way justifies the amount of money we're pissing up against the wall - it's not as if we've got money to burn!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #126: Sep 01, 2010 11:31:45 am

No need to be insulting, unless that's as far as your debating skills allow you to go. Shall we start again? My problem with the youth program is that  these players cost a lot of money to sign, develop, pay etc and they nearly always bring sweet FA to the table before disappearing for peanuts. How many players have come through the system in the last 10 years to make a difference to the 1st team? How much have we spent on fees, development and salaries on them in the last 10 years? The slim chance of developing a strong 1st team player in no way justifies the amount of money we're pissing up against the wall - it's not as if we've got money to burn!

Our youth system had been substandard...

Rafa overhauled it last year bringing in Rodolfo Borrell and John McMahon. The former coming with some quality staff from Barcelona. Both have done very well developing talent.We have some fantastic talent at both levels currently. What we need, indeed what we started to do towards the end of last season, is to blood them.

Pacheco, Ngog, Shelvey and Kelly are the obvious ones at the moment. With the right development approach we should see the benefits of this(Owners permitting)

It would have been great to bring in some first team players, but seeing as we have failed to do so we have no option but to give our youth a chance.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #127: Sep 01, 2010 11:37:36 am
      Our youth system had been substandard...

Rafa overhauled it last year bringing in Rodolfo Borrell and John McMahon. The former coming with some quality staff from Barcelona. Both have done very well developing talent.We have some fantastic talent at both levels currently. What we need, indeed what we started to do towards the end of last season, is to blood them.

Pacheco, Ngog, Shelvey and Kelly are the obvious ones at the moment. With the right development approach we should see the benefits of this(Owners permitting)

It would have been great to bring in some first team players, but seeing as we have failed to do so we have no option but to give our youth a chance.

Really?? Is this the same "substandard" youth system that gave us owen, fowler, macmanaman, carragher and gerrard??!!? That's got to be £100m worth of talent right there! I'm sorry, but you're going to have explain how the current setup is better.....
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #128: Sep 01, 2010 11:39:34 am

Really?? Is this the same "substandard" youth system that gave us owen, fowler, macmanaman, carragher and gerrard??!!? That's got to be £100m worth of talent right there! I'm sorry, but you're going to have explain how the current setup is better.....
      Just because the youth system hasn't been substandard a long time ago doesn't mean it hasn't been recently. Things change you know.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #129: Sep 01, 2010 11:42:20 am

The youth system was seperated under Moores and became stale. We had a good system. It became stagnant.
      Rafa started to address it. We now have two quality men in charge who focus on player development. The last season alone has seen this bear fruit and if it can continue we will see the benefits in the first team

We have now intergrated the youth and reserve teams at the academy to help development and progression.
      We have now professionalised the scouting and development team.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #130: Sep 01, 2010 11:45:44 am
      No need to be insulting, unless that's as far as your debating skills allow you to go. Shall we start again?

F**k debating skills, how about you getting a sense of humour?
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #131: Sep 01, 2010 11:48:37 am
      At the moment though it's all just words. We don't have a single player in our youth system that is knocking on the door of the first team. Granted, there are a few which are better than the rest but they are still a million miles from being good enough to claim a first team place and help push us up the table - and they are at an age now where they should have made their mark some time ago.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #132: Sep 01, 2010 11:50:10 am
      F**k debating skills, how about you getting a sense of humour?

I do have a sense of humour - everytime I read your posts I burst out in laughter!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #133: Sep 01, 2010 11:52:21 am
      At the moment though it's all just words. We don't have a single player in our youth system that is knocking on the door of the first team. Granted, there are a few which are better than the rest but they are still a million miles from being good enough to claim a first team place and help push us up the table - and they are at an age now where they should have made their mark some time ago.

OK now you need to explain something to me.
      Where did Ngog, Pacheco and Kelly come from and how can you claim they are not knocking on the door of first team football. The trio have come from our youth ranks and Pacheco and Kelly are two of the most promising prospects we have seen in a long time.

A lot of us on here will also sing the praises of Suso, Silva, Sterling, Coady, Wisdom...I could continue... but while you ask me to justify my claims how can you justify yours, with no suggestion that you have studied the topic you so freely offer opinion on.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #134: Sep 01, 2010 11:52:38 am
      Very disappointed  we did not land another striker,i think we need cover for Nando.But then again fingers crossed he dose not get injured this season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #135: Sep 01, 2010 12:03:17 pm
      I do have a sense of humour - everytime I read your posts I burst out in laughter!

Ditto lid!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #136: Sep 01, 2010 12:03:45 pm
      Even if all you say would be true carheex. How are you going to maintain at least 4 good club homegrown players every year, worthy of a spot in the squad, without heavily investing in youth? Carragher and Gerrard aren't getting younger. And you can't say Pacheco isn't close to the first team when he's wearing number 12.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #137: Sep 01, 2010 12:26:01 pm
      This summers transfer business was interesting to say the least. We signed a couple of good young players, e.g. Shelvey and Wilson, and a couple of players with lots of experience. In terms of Poulsen, i think people are giving him a rough time. He is moving from a league that is notoriously slow and it will take him time to adapt. Raul Meireles was a quality signing. Think he is a fantastic player and one i am looking forward to seeing. Similar to Poulsen, he may take some time to adapt to the Premiership. Jovanovic, on a free, was Rafa's last piece of business. He looks a very good player and he had a great Wordl Cup so, once again, i was delighted we signed him. To me, the signing of Brad Jones was a bit strange. However, with Cava leaving, i think he is a very good replacement, plus he is home-grown which is always a bonus. Signing Aurelio back was a great piece of business. I initially was against it but he is a player that knows the club and we know he will do a good job when called upon. For me, the signing of Joe Cole was our best piece of business, along with Meireles. Although he hasn't had a brilliant start, i am confident he will come good.

When Roy took over, i have to admit, there were 2 players i said i hope he didn't sign: Konchesky and Carlton Cole. Thankfully, we failed to sign Cole. Since i made that comment about Konchesky, i did steadily warm to him. He may not be an outstanding player but i think he could do a good job for the Reds.

In terms of players leaving, i was glad to see the back of Riera, for obvious reasons. Although it was somewhat sad to see Yossi leave, i think we did a brilliant piece of business with Chelsea seeing we get money plus Cole for Yossi. Disappointed to see Cava leave. He was a very good GK but i can understand why he left. I was very disappointed to see Dalle Valle leave as part of the Konchesky deal. Very bright future and i think we are missing out on something their. Similarly, with Nemeth leaving, we are yet again letting a great potential leave.

I am disappointed we didn't sign a striker but, i suppose in the end we have to be grateful we didn't sign Carlton Cole ;D.

Quick Reply