Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

How have we fared in the transfer market this Summer 2010

Read 12809 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,261 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: How have we fared in the transfer market this Summer 2010
      Reply #161: Sep 05, 2010 09:06:45 am
      On the whole you have to say pretty poor in my opinion :-\ Well at least for Liverpool it is. No striker to join Torres. The players that have been bought are not up to Liverpool's old standards. The only decent player that was brought in was Cole. The yanks only got him cos it was on a free transfer. These yanks in our country have got a lot to answer for  >:(
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #162: Sep 05, 2010 09:37:13 am
      On the whole you have to say pretty poor in my opinion :-\ Well at least for Liverpool it is. No striker to join Torres. The players that have been bought are not up to Liverpool's old standards. The only decent player that was brought in was Cole. The yanks only got him cos it was on a free transfer. These yanks in our country have got a lot to answer for  >:(

Have to agree Keith, my calculations tell me we sold 37.2 millions pounds worth of players this summer and thats not taking into consideration the undisclosed fee's of one or two transfers add to that around 6 million from the Dossena and Voronin sales and we are up to 43.2 million pounds add to that the 17.5m from the standard chartered sponsorship deal that we were told would be added to the transfer budget and we have a grand figure of 60.7m that could have been spent on transfers this season.

We spent 22.5m pounds 38.2m pounds has been siphoned away from the club, money that could have and should have been invested in the squad, we are being short changed by the owners and its not for the first transfer window that this has happened. We have faired pretty poorly in my opinion and in some cases we have been replacing good players with sub standard ones.

As you rightly say we have not even signed a back up striker to help out or Nando when that 38.2m pounds would easily have bought us a Dzeko maybe even an Aguero.

vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #163: Sep 05, 2010 09:37:57 am
      After last season we all knew that come transfer time we were shopping for three main things:

* First team left back (yes)
      * First team left-sided attacking midfielder (no)
      * 2nd choice striker (no)

Next up:

* Replacements for anyone important who left:

- Despite the half-assed job at replacements everyone except Riera got replaced.  Before you all mention Jovanovic, he was arriving to help add squad depth in attack.

If by some freak chance it was still possible:

* One midfielder for some squad depth (no)
      * One defender for some squad depth (yes)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,261 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #164: Sep 05, 2010 10:00:10 am

As you rightly say we have not even signed a back up striker to help out or Nando when that 38.2m pounds would easily have bought us a Dzeko maybe even an Aguero.

For me, the most important player to bring in was a striker. Reasons being? Well its quite obvious really..(( even to the yanks )).. You won't get a full season out of Torres :-\ We all know he's injury prone, yet the two yanks do fook all about it  :(  I would of brought Crouch back given the chance  ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #165: Sep 05, 2010 10:04:49 am
      For me, the most important player to bring in was a striker. Reasons being? Well its quite obvious really..(( even to the yanks )).. You won't get a full season out of Torres :-\ We all know he's injury prone, yet the two yanks do fook all about it  :(  I would of brought Crouch back given the chance  ;)

We'll just have to hope Jova, NGog and Kuyt can step upto the plate until January if Nando gets injured mate, there is cover there hopefully we won't have to use it, but we've been shafted by the Yanks for the last 5 windows and until they are gone I really can not see anything changing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #166: Sep 05, 2010 10:59:33 am
      I remember seeing a table for net spend in the league and we were the lowest. Would love to see how it finished. Reckon we have one of the lowest, if not the lowest, 'spending' totals in the league. Shocking stuff for a club that should have champions league ambition
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #167: Sep 05, 2010 11:26:23 am
      Poor we didn't get the striker we were crying out for and for the fourth transfer in a row we made money.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #168: Sep 05, 2010 11:56:47 am
      We were completely torn apart this transfer window.

No club looking to progress and get back into the top four should be making money in the summer transfer window.

Cole - Benayoun (probably got the better deal here with Cole being younger and the better player. Also Cole is home-grown)

Jova - Riera (this was always going to happen, probably got the better deal again although Jova doesn't have age on his side.

Meireles - Mascherano (jury is out on this one, we've bought in a lad who actually wants to play for us. Although Masch is better in that DM role, however Meireles is probably a better all around player

Poulsen - Aquilani (still stunned with this, big big loss for us with this 'swap')

Konchesky - Insua (got experience in although now we are stuck with two oldish left backs now)

Throw in there the loss of Lauri and Nemeth and I'd probably say we are not really better off from last season.

And last season we finished 7th. That tells you the whole story.

Quick Reply