Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Fernando Torres LFC Player Thread

Read 432720 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Fernando Torres LFC Player Thread
      Jul 04, 2007 05:08:31 pm
      Full name: Fernando José Torres Sanz

Date of birth: March 20, 1984 (1984-03-20) (age 23)

Place of birth: Madrid, Spain

Height: 6 ft 1 ins (1.86 m)

Playing position: Striker

Fernando José Torres Sanz (born March 20, 1984) is a Spanish football player, who currently plays for Liverpool.

He was born in the Fuenlabrada neighbourhood. He is the youngest player to play for Atlético Madrid and the youngest to become captain (at age 19). Nicknamed El Niño (The Kid) for his youthful face, Torres is a striker for the Spanish National Team and Liverpool F.C.

To date, Torres has scored 75 goals over 5 seasons in the Spanish top flight. He played two seasons in the second division where he scored 7 goals in 40 games.

Biography

In 1994, at the age of ten, Torres scored 55 goals in his first season with an eleven-a-side team, Rayo 13, and won himself a trial with Atlético Madrid. He impressed and joined the club in 1995. After progressing through the ranks for a few seasons Torres won his first important youth title in 1998. Atlético sent an under-14 team to compete in Nike Cup Europe against youth teams from such teams as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Manchester United and Juventus. Atlético won the tournament with Torres their leading player. He was later voted as the best player in Europe for that age-group.

In 1999, Torres signed his first contract with the club. In 2000 he broke his leg and didn't return to action until December. Then in February 2001 Torres won the Algarve Tournament with the Spain under-16 team. In May the under-16s took part in the 2001 UEFA European Under-16 Football Championship, which they also won, with Torres scoring the only goal in the final. He finished as the tournament's leading goalscorer (7 goals in 6 games) and was also voted the best player. Toward the end of the 2000–01 season Torres made his first team debut for Atlético. The date was May 27, 2001, the venue El Calderón and the opponent Leganés. He scored his first goal for the club the following week, in a game against Albacete.

2001–02 saw Atlético win promotion back to La Liga. The then 17-year-old Torres didn't have the best of seasons in front of goal though, netting only 6 times in 36 appearances in the Segunda División. In November Torres represented Spain at the 2001 FIFA U-17 World Championship. He scored one goal in three games, but the team didn't progess past the group stage. Later that season in July, Torres won the 2002 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship. Again he scored the only goal in the final and ended as the tournament's leading goalscorer (4 goals in 4 games) and best player.

2002 saw Atlético Madrid returning to the first division of Spanish football. In his first season playing in the top division, Torres did not find the transition from second tier football too much of a hindrance as he scored 13 goals as Atlético finished 12th. He also made his debut for the Spanish U21 team.

In 2003–2004 Torres made further strides as he scored 19 league goals in just 35 appearances. He was also named as Atlético'a club captain aged just 19. Atlético also improved, but were pipped for a UEFA Cup place on the final day of the season as they finished 7th behind Sevilla due to goal difference in the two team's head-to-head record (2-1, 0-2). In this season Torres made his debut for the full Spanish national team on September 6, 2003 in a friendly against Portugal. His first goal for Spain came against Italy on April 28, 2004. At the end of the season Torres was chosen as part of the Spanish squad for Euro 2004. He only appeared as a late substitute in Spain's first two group games, but made the first eleven for the deciding game against Portugal. Torres hit the post in the 62 minute after Nuno Gomes put Portgual ahead on 57 minutes. Spain lost 1-0 and were eliminated.

Atlético's 7th place finish in 2004 did qualify them for the Intertoto Cup, giving Torres his first taste of European club competition. They made the final, but agonisingly lost on penalties, this time to Villarreal.

At his first ever appearance in a World Cup finals at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, Torres scored the final goal in a 4-0 victory over Ukraine with a volley. In the second group match, Torres scored twice against Tunisia, in the 76th minute for Spain to take the lead 2-1 and then again from a penalty kick in the 90t Torres was dropped from the team for a friendly versus Romania in November 2006, but returned to the national side for the friendly against England in February 2007, a 1-0 win for Spain. After the World Cup Torres admitted that he turned down the chance to join Chelsea after the end of the 2005-06 season.

Move to Liverpool

Again in 2007, Torres's future at Madrid has been the subject of much speculation after Atlético's inability to secure a UEFA Cup spot. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United have been linked with a £20m move for the player. Following the end of the 2006-07 season, reports in the English media have stated that Torres was the main transfer target of Liverpool. Reports in Spain have claimed that Liverpool officials are in Madrid and have opened talks with Atlético Madrid.  These claims were later refuted by Atlético president Enrique Cerezo. Reports on Friday 29 June suggested that Atletico had agreed a deal with Liverpool for Torres, the fee rumoured was £20million plus Luis Garcia.

Reports on 30 June suggest that the two clubs have agreed a fee for Torres to move to Anfield for a fee around £26.5 million, while Atlético announced agreeing a deal with Villareal to sign Diego Forlan (seen as a potential replacement for Torres).

On July 2 it was reported that Torres had cut short his holiday to fly back to Madrid to finalize the move. The next day it was reported that Torres had passed his medical for Liverpool and he will hold a farewell press conference on Wednesday 4 July to bid farewell to the Atlético Madrid fans. Later that day, Atlético officially confirmed his transfer to Liverpool on their website. He'll take over the club's No. 9 shirt, which has previously been worn by legendary Liverpool strikers Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush. It was revealed during the Liverpool press conference that the final price stood at €30 million (approximately £20 million), and not the £26.5 million previously quoted in the media.

Career honours

Atlético Madrid

* Winner
                o Segunda División: 2001-02
                o 1998 Nike Cup Europe (an under-14 youth cup)

Spain

* Winner
                o 2001 Under-16 Algarve Tournament
                o 2001 UEFA European Under-16 Football Championship
                o 2002 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship

Personal Awards

* Winner
                o 1998 Top under-14 European player
                o 2001 UEFA European Under-16 Football Championship: Top goalscorer (7 goals in 6 games), Best player
                o 2002 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship: Top goalscorer (4 goals in 4 games), Best player

Some of his best goals and moments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQuZvoPZmAk#noexternalembed
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2011 11:06:51 pm by JD »
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Fernando Torres : The Official LFC Reds Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jul 04, 2007 05:15:07 pm
      SSN are saying the £26.5million tag is false and we only paid 30million euros (£20million) for him.

Anywho finally this transfer saga is over!
      Yazan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #2: Jul 04, 2007 05:20:20 pm
      Guys, Torres has supported Liverpool FC since he was a kid.. I think he is going to be the next Fowler, he isn't overrated he is just too good !
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #3: Jul 04, 2007 05:32:11 pm
      The top picture looks like a different player to the bottom one, maybe something to do with his hair?

Great player, better than Rooney I say!
      ian1967
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 04, 2007 05:35:16 pm
      what his song going to be?? the atletico fans sing fer-nan-do torr-es to the 'i love you baby' bit of the song 'cant take my eyes off you' by frankie valli.

i think it's catchy. but im sure we'll add some wit to the 'and if it's quite alright' bit. if we just do atletico's de de de de de bit in between, it'l sound too much like the crap chant that is....'de de de de andy johnson'

well done blue sh*te, must have taken you all night to think of that one. they didnt even do that, they just robbed it off palace.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Jul 04, 2007 06:10:20 pm
      OMGGGGGGG I'm so excited!!!! I had tears in my eyes earlier watching the press conference with him talking!!

I prefer him (and his hair) in the top picture in his Spanish kit rather than the one with Rafa (although I don't mind Rafa's beard!) he looks better with darker hair I think but still I think he's cute, although I swear he was only 19 last year?! ???

Can't wait for the season to start now!! I shouldn't be so excited when Cardiff don't have a GK :'(
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Jul 04, 2007 06:54:39 pm
      I cant wait for the season to start now hopefully he will settle in quickly and get us a few goals.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #7: Jul 04, 2007 07:22:12 pm
      A good day for the reds. A lot of pressure now not only on the player but also the manager but now lets hope we really have found a new prolific strikes!
      lfc4life403
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #8: Jul 04, 2007 07:25:45 pm
      we usually have a very poor and crappy games early in the season,with our strikers not scoring goals,with this guy(torres)hopefully he will settle in quick and bang in a few goals for us,cant wait for the new season to start
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007 07:38:21 pm by lfc4life403 »
      Cy
      Reply #9: Jul 04, 2007 07:44:36 pm
      its a very exciting time indeed..Im looking so forward to next season..welcome Fernando...VAMOS..from now one..You'll Never Walk Alone..
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #10: Jul 04, 2007 07:45:39 pm
           Rafa said torres snubbed some good higher  offers to come liverpool..thats for one is already a great demonstration he came to liverpool not only for the money ,but because  like he said he always supported the reds  and to add to that he respects rafa,

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Jul 04, 2007 07:50:30 pm
      its a very exciting time indeed..Im looking so forward to next season..welcome Fernando...VAMOS..from now one..You'll Never Walk Alone..

Vamos indeed at the start of our season Cy! We need to start as we mean to go on and hopefully Torres can make things happen from the off.
      When do people think he will actually play a part in his first game for us? I doubt he'll figure in these two upcoming friendlies against Wrexham and Crewe. Isn't he jetting back off on holiday now?
      Cy
      Reply #12: Jul 04, 2007 07:55:37 pm
      Vamos indeed at the start of our season Cy! We need to start as we mean to go on and hopefully Torres can make things happen from the off.
      When do people think he will actually play a part in his first game for us? I doubt he'll figure in these two upcoming friendlies against Wrexham and Crewe. Isn't he jetting back off on holiday now?
      good call redkenny, I think he will probably having a go at the friendlies at least the last 20 minutes I guess. This season is getting more exciting by the minutes now..RAFA said we looking for wingers...he might have a surprise or two still..If Torres dosent figures in our friendlies surely Voronin will, a chance to see the guy in a red shirt...Man I love that club..
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #13: Jul 04, 2007 08:04:03 pm
      SSN are saying the £26.5million tag is false and we only paid 30million euros (£20million) for him.

Anywho finally this transfer saga is over!
        RAFA after  presenting torres to the press and fans
      Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez hailed the signing of Fernando Torres after unveiling the striker.

Torres has signed a six-year deal at Anfield after tying up the formalities of his move from Atletico Madrid.

Benitez is a big fan of the Spanish international and he revealed Liverpool had paid a lot less than the rumoured £26.5million to land the player.

"I am really pleased. We were working hard to find the best players for us," beamed Benitez.

"We know that it is expensive but not as much as people say.

paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #14: Jul 04, 2007 08:08:22 pm
      good call redkenny, I think he will probably having a go at the friendlies at least the last 20 minutes I guess. This season is getting more exciting by the minutes now..RAFA said we looking for wingers...he might have a surprise or two still..If Torres dosent figures in our friendlies surely Voronin will, a chance to see the guy in a red shirt...Man I love that club..

Says on the official site he will be playing in Switzerland.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #15: Jul 04, 2007 08:08:50 pm
      I am soooooooooooo excited over this transfer.

Hola to you Nando welcome to a successfull season at the mighty Reds.

Come on!!!!!!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Jul 04, 2007 08:30:46 pm
      What is this 'vanos' you guys are on about ??? Hehe sorry I'm so stupid!

He best not play at Wrexham I will be up there trashing every car up there if they get to see him play before I do >:(

Croeso Fernando! :P
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Jul 04, 2007 08:45:03 pm
      What is this 'vanos' you guys are on about ??? Hehe sorry I'm so stupid!

He best not play at Wrexham I will be up there trashing every car up there if they get to see him play before I do >:(

Croeso Fernando! :P

:lmao: "trashing every car"!! I doubt he'll be playing at Wrexham Nic, so calm down calm down... ;) ;D

I may be wrong but I was led to believe years ago in spain that 'Vamos' means "go!" or "hurry!!"
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #18: Jul 04, 2007 08:51:42 pm
      we usually have a very poor and crappy games early in the season,with our strikers not scoring goals,with this guy(torres)hopefully he will settle in quick and bang in a few goals for us,cant wait for the new season to start
      I agree with u mate. Our first two games are away to villa and then home to chelski as u probably know.
      We need a good start for a change and hopefully TORRES will get us goals when we need them.
      F***ing great signing C'MON
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #19: Jul 04, 2007 09:03:07 pm
      yep. totally agree. he should make a great signing. in fact, he will make a great signing. lots of people are saying he is going to turn out to be exactly like morientes, a flop. but i just can't see that happening.
      torres, welcome to the greatest club in the world!!! ;D ;D ;D
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #20: Jul 04, 2007 09:44:16 pm
      FINALLY I can stop saying we need a 20 goal+ a season striker...Thank god we got him - roll on August 11th!!
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #21: Jul 04, 2007 11:03:14 pm
        :) Glad we've made a big signing but will reserve judgment until we see how he can link up with Dirk or Crouch,,,as we all know with Moreintes the transition between the two leagues can be difficult...he will need time to settle I think so lets not build up expectations and put pressure on him if he doesn't score a bagful in his first few competitive games.......roll on August.....
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Jul 05, 2007 12:06:26 am
      FINALLY I can stop saying we need a 20 goal+ a season striker...Thank god we got him - roll on August 11th!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I very much doubt he will be a 20+ goal a season striker. On the bright side though, I honestly believe Kuyt will become a 20+ goal a season striker with Torres playing alongside him.

Quick Reply