Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Fernando Torres LFC Player Thread

Read 432719 times
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Re: Fernando Torres : The Official LFC Reds Player Thread
      Reply #23: Jul 05, 2007 01:53:03 am
      :lmao: "trashing every car"!! I doubt he'll be playing at Wrexham Nic, so calm down calm down... ;) ;D

I may be wrong but I was led to believe years ago in spain that 'Vamos' means "go!" or "hurry!!"
      ¡vamos! is go in english
      oldbill1894
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #24: Jul 05, 2007 02:02:27 am
      Great signing!!! But dont you think we have to build more. He tried to be the hope and glory of athletico, and without the support of other true class players he never won anything... But he still did well. Personally I think we still need wingers, but who?
      On top of this,.... I have had a rant recently about the S*n.
      A short version of this is that basically, the S*n have a football forum for liverpool fans..... amazingly, so called fans actually use it....!
      Once again rant over.....
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #25: Jul 05, 2007 06:48:56 am
      I am really exited about torres signing I was impressed with his maturity he is a great prospect for Liverpool and at 23 he has plenty of time to develop into the best striker in the prem. I am also delighted that Mr Hicks and Mr Gillette have put there money were mouth is. Welcome Nando hope he has a great career at Anfield.
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2007 07:13:23 am by davie t »
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #26: Jul 05, 2007 07:39:07 am
      Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I very much doubt he will be a 20+ goal a season striker. On the bright side though, I honestly believe Kuyt will become a 20+ goal a season striker with Torres playing alongside him.

Sorry EddieC i think your wrong, he is fast, he can score with both feet an he can head a ball as well, but what i do like about him he loyal to his team, he stayed with Atletico Madrid for a long time when he could have moved a lot of years ago.
      He has scored about 15 goals a season playing in a team not that good, so once he got used to us and the great players around him he will score more goals.
      But you are right he will open more doors for other people like Kuyt to score more goals.
      Raffa has been after him for a long time, and he has signed for 6 years, so it looks like he wants to stay loyal to us and i like that.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #27: Jul 05, 2007 08:42:31 am
      We all need to be very patient, I just hope the fans don't get on his back if he has a slow start, just remember he's moving to a new country and he is only young, he'll need time to settle and find his feet.
      I'm sure the Spanish contingent already at Anfield will be good for him, having the likes of Alonso and Reina around him can only help.
      Rafa has said that he would sooner have 4 strikers who can score 15 goals each rather than one scoring all the goals, I still think we will see a lot of rotation in the team.

I think Torres will be a huge asset to the team, but give him time.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #28: Jul 05, 2007 09:37:49 am
      Sorry EddieC I think your wrong, he is fast, he can score with both feet an he can head a ball as well, but what I do like about him he loyal to his team, he stayed with Atletico Madrid for a long time when he could have moved a lot of years ago.
      He has scored about 15 goals a season playing in a team not that good, so once he got used to us and the great players around him he will score more goals.
      But you are right he will open more doors for other people like Kuyt to score more goals.
      Raffa has been after him for a long time, and he has signed for 6 years, so it looks like he wants to stay loyal to us and I like that.

He did also take every penalty & the lions share of the free kicks for Atletico though. This season he scored 14 goals, 4 of them penalties. If he gets to take the penalties & free kicks here he might hit the 20 mark, but I still reckon he'll set more up than he'll score.

A lot of people have mentioned the quality of his team mates at Atletico, TBH I don't think they are that much worse than our players, they just haven't achieved their potential. The flip side is though, when Torres was the main man, he got more opportunities. The ball was played to him every time, and as I already mentioned he got the penalties & free kicks. At Liverpool the team won't be built around him, he'll be one cog in the machine, this could see him getting less opportunities. I still believe he can achieve 15 assists & 10 goals for us this season though, and I'll be happy with anything more than that.
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #29: Jul 05, 2007 02:43:02 pm
      Fernando José Torres Sanz a nombre de todos los partidarios del club del balompié de Liverpool, aquí y a través del mundo. Quisiéramos ofrecerle una recepción enorme, caliente a la fortaleza que es Anfield

Fernando José Torres Sanz on behalf of all Liverpool Football Club Supporters, here and throughout the world. We would like to offer you a huge, warm welcome to The Fortress that is Anfield
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #30: Jul 05, 2007 03:15:53 pm
      Fernando José Torres Sanz a nombre de todos los partidarios del club del balompié de Liverpool, aquí y a través del mundo. Quisiéramos ofrecerle una recepción enorme, caliente a la fortaleza que es Anfield
      I correct it:Fernando José Torres Sanz,en nombre de todos los aficionados del Liverpool FC en todo el mundo queremos ofrecerle una calida y cariñosa recepcion a esta fortaleza que es Anfield
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #31: Jul 08, 2007 11:13:44 am
      Alonso backs Torres move

"It is great news that Fernando Torres has now become one of my teammates at Liverpool," enthused Alonso.

"There were so many rumours that he was going to come into the Premier League and I was constantly checking the news to see if we had signed him.

"He has shown over the last few years at Atletico Madrid how much quality he has got as a player. It will be a major challenge for him in England but I am convinced he will be a big success over here.

"We will help him to settle in from day one and help him adapt to the club, the city and living in England.

"With Fernando, Peter Crouch and Dirk Kuyt we are going to have one of the best attacks in Europe. It will be our task to help set them up for as many goals as possible.

"Fernando is one of the best forwards in Europe and it will be great for us to have him in the team. I believe that he is going to be a big reinforcement for Liverpool."

www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156325070708-1058.htm

graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #32: Jul 09, 2007 04:59:20 pm
      I have to put this in from Paul Tomkins columm, who i think is a great writer for Liverpool FC.

For starters, it's a phrase that's been abused too often in the past. He's here to improve the team as much as possible, not to 'complete' it.
      But make no mistake: this is, in himself, a complete centre-forward, with the potential to get better still.

And most importantly, one who changes the dynamics of Liverpool's attack.

Irrespective of his individual ability, which people will always quibble about ('is he world-class?', 'does he score enough goals?', etc), Torres is the type of player who will not only suit Benítez's system but combine unique individual talents with a mature team ethic.

Whether or not he is worth £20m is moot. If you can buy one individual who, as well as contributing directly himself, brings the best out of four or five others, then how do you put a price on that?

And, of course, what he is worth to Liverpool depends on how much he gives the club over the next half-decade (or more), not how he does in the first few weeks of the season when the critics will be hyper-sensitive.

If, in the next few years, he helps land some of the trophies that matter, that will justify the outlay. He doesn't have to score 50 goals and win the World Player of the Year, simply help the team win games. Wayne Rooney only scored 14 league goals last season, but he contributed in a number of ways to United's title success.

Reading a whole host of testimonials made in recent years by many of the the leading lights of the Spanish game –– Frank Rijkaard, Raul, Ronaldo, David Beckham –– it's clear just how highly rated Torres is.

They have waxed lyrical about him. The same applies to his ex-coaches, from youth level up to first-team bosses, and some of La Liga's retired greats.

Each talks in awed terms of Torres' pace, his power, and his skill. But perhaps more tellingly, every last one mentions at least one aspect of his psychological make-up. Because more than anything, it is this last thing that will determine just how much of a success he proves in English football, and is what gives him a much better chance than most.

He is labelled mature, determined, responsible, mentally strong and a winner. To captain Spain's third-biggest club at the age of 19 highlights remarkable personal qualities.

But to also be its local hero, talisman, and principle goalscorer, when that team lacked overall quality, speaks of an ability to handle immense pressure. While he now has the new pressure of a big price tag, he has, at long last, lost the overwhelming burden of carrying an entire club. At Liverpool, others will share that weight.

How he will fare in English football cannot be foretold –– no signing comes with a guarantee –– but what's clear is that Torres has the potential to be a legend at Anfield.

He has never worked with a coach anywhere near as good as Benítez, and certainly not played with so many top-class players at club level. He has the ability, in the right setting, to see his game go up a notch or two from his previously impressive highs.

Torres is not a player whose reputation has been founded on hard, cold figures; he was not so prolific in Spain that his stats were uttered in hushed tones, as proof of some outrageous talent. Having said that, 75 league goals in 173 games, which edges close to a goal every other game, is still a fine record.

But as regular watchers of Spanish football will attest to, he is a footballer who needs to be seen, a footballer capable of special things.

Rather than a great goalscorer, he had been a scorer of great goals. While he may never be ultra-prolific, Torres has that gift of scoring goals out of nothing: a curling shot from distance, an outrageous lob from an unlikely angle, a spectacular flying volley, a thumping header.

It's said by some that Torres misses too many chances. It's also noted that he has never hit 20 league goals, although having managed 19, that's a tad pedantic. In that sense he's like Michael Owen: his best league total for Liverpool was 19, and he was also accused of missing too many chances. But good strikers aren't afraid to miss. The best keep getting back in there, and win the team enough games when it matters. Bad strikers are the ones who never miss any because they shy away.

Torres is also someone who, like Thierry Henry, can create his own chances. And that's a priceless commodity. Anyone who can score goals out of nothing is a valuable asset. Torres runs at defenders with pace and directness (but also intelligence), and that in itself can win a host of free-kicks and penalties, and simply create panic in opposition defences.

Of course, 'panic' is not measured by statistics. But it makes defences crumble, and others can profit. Like Henry, he can drift wide to where he is very comfortable, either to pick the ball up and run infield to shoot, or merely to create space, or chances, for others.

From a tactical point of view Torres ticks all the boxes. The Reds now have a quick striker who can play centrally, either in a pair or, as he did in Spain, on his own: something that never suits smaller strikers, who can't offer the physical presence, and usually require a 'bodyguard'. It instantly limits things, if you have to include one player just to get the best out of another.

It's not so much the quantity of goals Torres will score that will elevate the team, but his ability to score the kind of goals that few other strikers can, and to offer a different threat to the Reds' top duo last season.

While Kuyt and Crouch shared an impressive 32 goals last season, 30 came from within the penalty area. But it's not just that the pair finished these chances in the box –– without fail, they either received the ball inside the box or right on the very edge. That requires accurate supply. What Torres provides is the ability to take the ball into the box himself, perhaps from as far back as his own half; or to score from outside the box with his powerful shooting.

Complete

One thing Rafa Benítez was not able to utilise during his first three years was a 'complete' centre-forward: the quick, strong and tall striker who could be relied upon to score goals as well as link play intelligently, create chances for others, work for the team and hold the ball up.

By this I mean someone along the lines of Didier Drogba and Thierry Henry, or going a little further back, Blackburn-era Alan Shearer, when at his quickest, or Nicolas Anelka, when he burst onto the scene. Ruud van Nistelrooy, when he wasn't being blown over by a gust of wind, was another. It's notable that the aforementioned players all led the line in league title triumphs.

Kuyt and Crouch remain hugely effective players and, in their mid-20s, are still improving. No one in England offers more sweat for the cause than Kuyt –– again, stats don't really measure how the Reds won games like the one in Barcelona, in large part down to his sheer leg-work –– and no other striker in the Premiership can pose the kind of problems Crouch does.

But teams are so much more dangerous with pace in attack, and either of Kuyt or Crouch would benefit from playing alongside Torres, with his ability to get in behind defences. Torres can help Kuyt and Crouch bag more goals, and that's one of the reasons he's been bought. Not to score them all himself. Thirteen of Kuyt's 14 goals last season were close-range finishes, so getting him into those areas more often will help the team. Remember, this is also a player who hit the woodwork seven times, all with fine efforts.

Also, with so many talented midfielders now at the club, Torres gives the option of an attacking 4-5-1, particularly away from home in tougher arenas, where the Spaniard can do the lone striker stuff so well, but also help lead the kinds of lightning breaks that can win such matches.

While Torres' goals record is not remarkable, there are precedents that suggest he could yet turn into a real goal-machine. There are no guarantees, of course, and there will always be so much more to his game than goals, but two of modern football's greatest goal-getters were actually far less prolific at the same stage of their careers.

Torres arrives in England a fraction older than Theirry Henry was when he started his Highbury love-in. Before his move to London, Henry had scored just 23 league goals in 126 games for Monaco and Juventus. While also sometimes utilised as a winger, Henry was not noted for his clinical finishing when playing as a striker.

In a better team, and under a compatriot and mentor who thoroughly understood him, Henry came of age at Arsenal. His career strike rate went from a goal every five games to better than a goal every 1.5 games for Arsenal.

So if that's the example of the overseas' star who came good at 22/23, you can also look at another example closer to home.

Alan Shearer showed little sign of what was to come when, aged 22, he moved from Southampton to Blackburn in 1992. While he'd just enjoyed a fine season at the Dell, he left the south coast with very similar figures to pre-Arsenal Thierry Henry: 23 league goals in 118 games.

In four seasons at the Lancashire club he notched a phenomenal 112 Premiership goals in just 138 games, followed by 148 in 303 league games for Newcastle.

This is not to say Torres will automatically follow suit. But it does show that, at 23, some goalscorers are yet to reach their full potential, and a move to a better team can help unlock it.

Luis Garcia, a great little player, will be missed. But it's a team taking on a new shape.

Harry Kewell is fit and ready, and, if his problems are behind him and he can retain his pace and power, should be like signing a new top-class player.

Andrei Voronin, who often plays behind the main striker and who can also play in midfield, is another quick and powerful frontrunner. Not an out-and-out striker, he averaged a respectable one-in-three for Bayer Leverkusen, and is someone who can fit Benítez's ideal of four attacking players sharing 15 goals each. It's clear the Reds will be a big, strong side –– but, crucially, not at the expense of skill. All of these are technically gifted players.

While the elements continue to fall into place, the opposition haven't been idle, either, and even mid-tier teams are spending fortunes. While Torres will almost certainly improve the Reds significantly, the competition for the title will be hotter than ever.

All Benítez can do is make Liverpool better, and for me, Torres is one player who perfectly fits the bill.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #33: Aug 09, 2007 02:09:55 pm
      Not been too impressed so far in pre-season.  Not going to jump on his back like no doubt loads of people on here are preparing to, but his start to the season is absolutely vital for us this season.  If he doesn't make an impact in the first few games, pressure will be heaped on the players from the off.

I wouldn't go as far as saying our title ambitions rested on him - but if he gets off to a good start then I think he will bring the level of the rest of our attackers up with him.

An opening day brace will be perfect - it's going to be interesting seeing how he squares up against Martin O'Neill's side.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Fernando Torres (Striker)
      Reply #34: Aug 26, 2007 11:08:01 am
      Well he scored a wonderful goal against Chelsea, his build up play is brilliant but maybe he needs to work on his finishing. Should of hat a hatrick against Sunderland yesterday but it is a posistive that one of our strikers is creating chances from nothing so sooner or later they'll start flowing in for him.
      liam158
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts | -4 
      Torres!!! IS he a goal scorer or an asister???
      Reply #35: Aug 26, 2007 04:57:43 pm
      I think Rafa bought Torres to help kuyt and crouch upfront.
      Although he can score as he showed us against Chelsea.
      WHAT DO YOU THINK??? ???
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #36: Sep 09, 2007 09:01:02 pm
      Got to say he is looking the real deal.

He has stepped up to a higher level and looks very comfortable with it.
      I think he had achieved all he could do at Athletico, and needed this move.
      I like the way he chases any lost cause and also defends from the front.
      He certainly is living up to the famous number 9 shirt.

Let's hope he continues to develop and bangs in more goals and come May, he has helped in bringing OUR title back.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #37: Sep 09, 2007 09:08:19 pm
      Evening Tommo, how did your night out go ? Hope you got your monies worth of free bar ;)   Glad to see you still with us  ;) :D :D  anyway, got to agree with you there on Fernando, I'm well impressed with him, sees to be banging them in from the getgo, no 'bedding' in.  He's fitted in perfectly and I'm very optimistic that he will contribute greatly to bringing 'our' title back home  ;) ;D 
      « Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007 09:11:15 pm by smigger15 »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #38: Sep 09, 2007 09:15:39 pm
      Got to say he is looking the real deal.

He has stepped up to a higher level and looks very comfortable with it.
      I think he had achieved all he could do at Athletico, and needed this move.
      I like the way he chases any lost cause and also defends from the front.
      He certainly is living up to the famous number 9 shirt.

Let's hope he continues to develop and bangs in more goals and come May, he has helped in bringing OUR title back.

Couldn't agree more mate. I was unsure of his proposed move to us earlier this year but he's showing he's up for the challenge. Great pace and agility with signs of good vision. If he carries on improving and puts some goals away we'll be on our way to that next title. He doesn't look phased like other players have in the past.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #39: Sep 13, 2007 03:41:26 pm
      Well, I have to admit he's fitted in a lot better than I thought he would. He's played pretty much the way I expected, with the exception of defending from the front which Rafa must have drilled into him, but I have to admit I didn't think it would quite work out this way. I felt we needed a proven goalscorer, someone who would take advantage of all the opportunities we were creating. I felt Torres wouldn't be that man and I still believe that, but he is bringing a lot more to the team than just goals. His finishing still definitely needs to improve, out of 15 shots so far he has only got 7 on target, but his movement is creating openings for others and he is definitely very comfortable on the ball and not fazed by the physical side of the Premiership. It's still early days but the future is looking very promising for Fernando, if he can continue to improve we should have a real star on our hands.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #40: Sep 13, 2007 04:25:53 pm
      The difference for Torres this season, as he has stated, is that at Liverpool he doesn't have to drop too deep for the ball.
      At Athletico he was always looking for the ball in midfield, then having to think about an attack after winning the ball.
      At Liverpool, he has players who will win the ball in the middle of the pitch and release it for him to attack.

Hopefully, as he understands this way of playing, he will improve his goals / shots ratio as his confidence will grow and grow.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #41: Sep 13, 2007 08:31:26 pm
      Well I've got to hold my hands up.

I wanted us to get Tevez.  I figured with the service we could give him he would outdo anything he had done at West Ham and he had proved he could play in the Premier League.

I thought Torres was a risk and would take a season to adapt to the way football is played in the Premiership.

Shows what I know!!! ::)

Should have known to trust in Rafa.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #42: Sep 14, 2007 08:49:23 am
      Ok, big question now. Given what we've now seen, would you have still wanted to sign Torres or one of the other big names being mooted about, Tevez, Eto'o, Villa and company?

Personally I would have to say cost aside I would've still preferred Villa, I feel he can do what Torres does & chip in with a few more goals, but whereas Torres would've been my fourth choice behind the other three before, I would now put him second in that list on the basis of how he's fit in to our team since arriving, and considering the price Villa would've cost he represents better value for money.
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2007 09:25:51 am by EddieC »
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #43: Sep 14, 2007 09:23:23 am
      Ok, big question now. Given what we've now seen, would you have still wanted to sign Torres or one of the other big names being mooted about, Tevez, Eto'o, Villa and company?

I was always big on Torres must admit not my number one choice but i must say his moved to the TOP of the LIST with his current performances.

His quick, chases everything, good in the air, Defends well from the front and has good mentality with his runs which creates so much space for others around him.
      I think his adapted well and maybe better than most of the others would have.
      His also been unlucky to ONLY have 3 goals as he could of had bout 5 or six.

He looks hungry to prove himself and he looks like he wants to play for the team not just here for himself.I love everything about "el Nino" and if he continues to Improve the rest of the season he'll have the golden boot by the end of it i guarantee it :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #44: Sep 14, 2007 09:32:37 am
      the big thing I like about him is that he isnt just a Glory forward that doesnt do anything but stand up front and wait for the pass...
      he gets involved and goes into tackles ala Rushie trying to win the ball back...
      he is young and keen, and that rubs off, especially with so many strikers on our list after a starting spot...
      LFC Gary
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #45: Sep 14, 2007 09:39:18 am
      Looking back with the knowledge I have now, Torres would've still been my first choice, but as I said back then I would've also like dot have seen us also take the gamble on a £9m Michael Owen. We struggled against teams that defended heavily a lot last season, and whilst Torres' creativity will help overcome that I also feel those are the sort of games where you need a guy who only needs one opportunity to get you a goal.

Quick Reply