Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Fernando Torres LFC Player Thread

Read 433180 times
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Re: Fernando Torres Player Thread
      Reply #3726: Jan 09, 2011 04:29:22 pm
      I think he can't really be judged for this match :
       - he was trained to play with a partner up front since 7 or 8 matches
       - he was clearly tired after 3 full matchs in a row (but tried more than in the last I think)
       - he was isolated and got the same kind of service as recently especially once Gerrard was sent out : a lot of long balls when he was in the middle of two defenders ; Kenny hasn't changed yet the tendancies to play deep and long the team has developped under Roy
       - N'Gog had exactly the same problems, and hardly done anything too (not even sure he touched a ball)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3727: Jan 10, 2011 06:06:06 am
      Understand where you're coming from TL but he has to look fookin interested. He didn't, he was slacking. Thought he would bebusting a lung with a new Manager and that Manager being King Kenny but he didn't lookk like he could be arsed from the off. Just want him to wake up from this slumber and gives us all what we know he is capable of.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3728: Jan 10, 2011 11:54:50 am
      I think it's enough excuses for him. Yeah, he lacked service under Roy's methods but now we have a new manager and hopefully things will improve for Torres.

If Kenny can't get him to start playing, no one can!

It's so frustrating because he's such a good player.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #3729: Jan 10, 2011 12:14:30 pm
      Yes, but this match was a transition.

Kenny had just one day with the team, and many tactical problems remained from Roy's era (ie : Pepe long delivery and our wingers defending too deep in their half to be where they should in attack).
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3730: Jan 10, 2011 01:05:21 pm
       I thought he was pretty poor too, but unlike in some other games I wouldn't be too harsh on him this time. He has suffered through lack of "service" all season, but I've long been convinced that this is more to do with the fact we aren't playing well than it is any "long ball" philosophy. Against the Mancs it was difficult to get too much going from an attacking sense, what with Gerrard being sent off and Mereiles being transparent Torres was very often left on his own. Ferdinand had one of his games where he looks like just about as a good a centre half as you'll find anywhere, and it was always going to be a "feeding on scraps" situation.

The shame for me is that we simply don't posess a plan B striker. N'Gog is simply a paupers Torres, Babel is away with the fairies (although again he looked suspiciously interested I thought yesterday, that's twice in the last couple of months) and short of bring the Greek on and lumping it, we really don't have much going on in the options department.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #3731: Jan 10, 2011 05:19:36 pm
      I will give him time, I think he will be better under Dalglish.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,393 posts | 2823 
      Reply #3732: Jan 10, 2011 05:22:40 pm
      Got a lot of stick on LFCTV just now.

Pretty much saying he needs to show commitment soon or he should be sold. It's difficult to disagree with that.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #3733: Jan 10, 2011 05:26:59 pm
      He is missing Alonso's service and the fact we are not as strong defencively wont help .08/09 season for instance he was serviced from every channel mash arba alonso stevie all let him play his game the way he plays it best .We took the key cog away and the engine clapsed
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #3734: Jan 10, 2011 11:27:40 pm
      I just hope that he starts getting the ball out to feet coming in from the wing attacking the space between full back and centre half - thats where he's dangerous in my opinion.  When the balls being hit long and he's in the air with his back to goal with two big centre halves breathing down his neck he won't do a thing.

It is true though he just doesn't look interested - but the comments before the game at the weekend would indicate otherwise.. strange.

It would be interesting to know what Kenny said to him in their first training session, and Clarke. I wonder if either have actually directly asked him whats up. I just hope they aren't wrapping him in cotton wool, it should be more like earn those wages, these fans pay money some of them haven't got to come and cheer you.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #3735: Jan 12, 2011 09:59:28 pm
      Everyone could see the difference today in Torres. His fight, his work rate and his passion. Today was proof he was sulking in the past games. Well on you Fernando. Keep it up.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #3736: Jan 12, 2011 10:16:10 pm
      Looked happier today. Showed effort, scored a goal and even complained at times which shows he cares!
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #3737: Jan 12, 2011 10:47:28 pm
      Different player tonight.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Reply #3738: Jan 12, 2011 11:14:29 pm
      Looked a much better player tonight and good to see him on the score sheet.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #3739: Jan 12, 2011 11:59:10 pm
      Excellent tonight Nando. I reckon he'll bag at least a brace against the Bitters.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #3740: Jan 13, 2011 04:13:05 am
      looked like his heart was in it tonight. i havent seen him run so much for a ball, or fight so much for a ball in a few months.

was good to see him fight tonight and the booking was out of sheer frustrartion, showing his desire.

he wants to stay :)
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #3741: Jan 16, 2011 04:10:52 pm
      Well in Torres. Completely changed his attitude and his mindset. He's coming back.
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #3742: Jan 16, 2011 04:12:08 pm
      Well in torres ,looked much better ,unlucky not to score ..
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #3743: Jan 16, 2011 04:48:33 pm
      Keep fighting the good fight, Nando.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #3744: Jan 16, 2011 04:54:59 pm
      His performances the last couple of games just proves how much the Roy Hodgson effect had on him.

So far scored one goal in two league games under King Kenny and even hit the post today. Not only that, his contribution has much improved in contrast to his disinterested, 6 goals in 20 games self, under Roy Hodgson

EDIT

Has 63 league goals in 100 league matches for Liverpool. Just losing out to Sam Raybould (67), Jack Parkinson (67) and Roger Hunt (72). The three, however, didn't score all their goals in the English top flight so this makes Fernando Torres our top goal scorer in 100 matches for Liverpool in the English top flight.

Such a shame he couldn't have added more to that tally. I feel that record under Hodgson was really bad for a striker in his calibre because he'd average at least one goal in two games.
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011 08:21:15 am by Adryan »
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #3745: Jan 18, 2011 03:04:11 pm
      Was just watching his first 30 goals on LFCTV, bloody hell there were some crackers in that lot.

m4Rco
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • 'cause you said the brains I had went to my head.
      Reply #3746: Jan 18, 2011 03:16:01 pm
      Just imagine him suddenly having that blonde hair again. Wolverhamptons defense would sh*t themselves just by the look of Nando.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #3747: Jan 21, 2011 05:06:15 pm
      when he stays with us after this summer, it'll be his first in 4 years without playing in a summer tournament, the break should do him the world of good. also should growing his hair again ;)
      kenny the king
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,757 posts |
      • at the end of the storm there,s a golden sky
      Reply #3748: Jan 21, 2011 05:12:18 pm
      when he stays with us after this summer, it'll be his first in 4 years without playing in a summer tournament, the break should do him the world of good. also should growing his hair again ;)
      His hair is already grown he just need the blonde hair again  ;)

Quick Reply