Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fernando Torres LFC Player Thread

Read 431744 times
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Re: Fernando Torres Player Thread
      Reply #2415: Sep 17, 2009 10:43:37 am
      Agreed. They mentioned last night about david villa was having all the spotlight in the international team well its clearly obvious why torres hasnt been showing that much flare or desire to reli get into a game, he doesnt move around like he did when he first arrived you hear more about what he says hes going to do in the papers or on the website than what actually happens.

i completely agree - he has had too much to say for himself in the past year - he needs to get back to the state of mind he arrived in England with
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2416: Sep 17, 2009 10:46:38 am
      Not sure what's up with him at the moment, almost like he's got something heavy on his mind.

I'm confident he'll return to his best shortly though.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2417: Sep 17, 2009 11:30:59 am
      IMO, He needs to get his head out of his arse and stop whinging about every decision that does not go his way, if he put as much effort and focus into his game as he is having a go at the officials at the moment then it wont be long before we see the best of him.

Granted the service to him on many occasions so far has been poor and he has been isolated in many games, getting bullied of the opposition defenders but the Nando of old would just pick himself up dust himself down and stick the ball in the back of the net and emerge triumphant from this sort of treatment, something he should doing now.

Was another poor showing last night by the very high standards he has set himself, but form is temporary and class is permanent so hopefully we will see the return of a fully focused Torres banging the goals in for fun sooner rather than later.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2418: Sep 17, 2009 11:56:10 am
      As i stated in the post match thread from last nights game, Torres looked absolutely fu**ed! He looked ill, pale, drawn and gaunt. At times i was expecting him to collapse. As he has stated in his autobiography, he is a very hands on man. He's never out on the lash and pissing his wages up against a wall, he's as down to earth as we are. Having a ten month and a twenty two month old boy myself, combined with working seven days a week, i can totally understand how hard he is finding this transition from young man to father.

Most of us are parents on this forum, so we all know what fatherhood entails. He may be the world's best striker, but like us, he is a human being, and now holds down the job of being a father too. No doubt he is having many sleepless nights, checking his daughter is sleeping safely, even when she's not crying, worrying at the slightest cough or sneeze, things we as parents can all relate to. Some things that can't be doubted are his commitment to Liverpool Football Club and his commitment to his family. He'll be right in a few weeks and everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about, mark my words. Blood is blood, and he bleeds the red of Liverpool.

Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number nine, husband to a beautiful wife, father to a beautiful daughter, hero to an adoring faithful and last but not least, a human being, just like everyone else.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #2419: Sep 17, 2009 12:10:15 pm
      As I stated in the post match thread from last nights game, Torres looked absolutely fu**ed! He looked ill, pale, drawn and gaunt. At times I was expecting him to collapse. As he has stated in his autobiography, he is a very hands on man. He's never out on the lash and pissing his wages up against a wall, he's as down to earth as we are. Having a ten month and a twenty two month old boy myself, combined with working seven days a week, I can totally understand how hard he is finding this transition from young man to father.

Most of us are parents on this forum, so we all know what fatherhood entails. He may be the world's best striker, but like us, he is a human being, and now holds down the job of being a father too. No doubt he is having many sleepless nights, checking his daughter is sleeping safely, even when she's not crying, worrying at the slightest cough or sneeze, things we as parents can all relate to. Some things that can't be doubted are his commitment to Liverpool Football Club and his commitment to his family. He'll be right in a few weeks and everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about, mark my words. Blood is blood, and he bleeds the red of Liverpool.

Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number nine, husband to a beautiful wife, father to a beautiful daughter, hero to an adoring faithful and last but not least, a human being, just like everyone else.

he could easily afford to pay for nurses to stand a 24 hour gaurd around his new arrival - I think he's just out of form - I also don't buy the tiredness suggestion - he missed half of last season, so should be fighting fit
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2420: Sep 17, 2009 12:12:13 pm
      Yes to the 2 posts above.

Fernando Torres looked really disturbed now. I wouldn't blame him as he has a very young daughter and wouldn't be surprised if he's been having sleepless nights or if his missus just wants more.  :D Like hardcoresoldier stated, he's only human, just like everyone else.

I agree that he should stop complaining about the harsh treatments on him by defenders. Yes Nando, those come with the 'Best Forward in the World' tag. In many occasions, he loses the ball rather easily. However, form is temporary and class is permanent. There were also times we've seen him make his trademark runs (something which doesn't happen very often anymore). Even not at his best, our Nando has got 3 league goals in 5 league games and that would make Michael Owen proud.

I don't think he's tired or anything. I think he's just off form, but a rare long one at the moment.
      I believe it's just a matter of time before he gets back to his best. Remember last season when he scored on the opening day and then did not hit the back of the net till the Merseyside derby? He went on to get 4 goals in 2 games before getting injured.

Come on, Nando lad!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2421: Sep 17, 2009 12:26:08 pm
      If i had more faith in our back up, i would suggest a little break. Maybe Dirk up top with Yossi and Riera on the flanks. He's been our worst player this season IMO in terms of match play if you get what i mean.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2422: Sep 17, 2009 12:41:51 pm

he could easily afford to pay for nurses to stand a 24 hour gaurd around his new arrival - I think he's just out of form - I also don't buy the tiredness suggestion - he missed half of last season, so should be fighting fit

Trust me mate, this is his daughter, his own flesh and blood. Him and his missus won't just dump their newborn on strangers, even if they can afford it. He is tired, that's plain to see. There are so many factors that affect performance, mental tiredness being the biggest player of them all.

Crouchinho made a valid point, it would be nice to give him a break. We should be able to rest players against the likes of West Ham and Hull ( no disrespect meant to either team). But when you look at our options for back up then that option loses merit. All the more reason why i find the loaning out of Nemeth even more mind boggling.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #2423: Sep 17, 2009 12:54:06 pm
      If I had more faith in our back up, I would suggest a little break. Maybe Dirk up top with Yossi and Riera on the flanks. He's been our worst player this season IMO in terms of match play if you get what I mean.

You make a fair point - a spell on the bench might serve to wake him up - I remember this time last year Rooney being benched.
      Probably won't happen, but would love to see Babel get a run up front........
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2424: Sep 17, 2009 12:59:12 pm
      You make a fair point - a spell on the bench might serve to wake him up - I remember this time last year Rooney being benched.
      Probably won't happen, but would love to see Babel get a run up front........

Not a wake up call, just a bit of a 'Go and find yourself, then come back'. I was hoping for Ryan to get on for Fernando this morning but wasnt to be.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #2425: Sep 17, 2009 01:02:48 pm
      Not a wake up call, just a bit of a 'Go and find yourself, then come back'. I was hoping for Ryan to get on for Fernando this morning but wasnt to be.

He looked decent last night right side Babel.
      Babel is such an enigma - after 2 years I still have no idea what to make of him.
      Part of me just thinks that he is not a left winger, and it's harsh to judge him on that basis......
      redman147
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | -1 
      Reply #2426: Sep 17, 2009 01:36:07 pm
      He was a striker but has never been given a chance up top for us. He is a bit lightweight but he's fast as f**k and has a good shot on him.

I sometimes think put him up top with Nando, as it would scare a few centre backs with them two coming through. Plus as you say he's an enigma so he might turn it on finally if he's given a chance!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2427: Sep 17, 2009 01:41:28 pm
      Trust me mate, this is his daughter, his own flesh and blood. Him and his missus won't just dump their newborn on strangers, even if they can afford it. He is tired, that's plain to see. There are so many factors that affect performance, mental tiredness being the biggest player of them all.

Agree with both your posts on this matter, good job I read the above one else I would have repeated what you said! :D

Without knowing him personally of course, he does come across as a very sensitive person, a family man. It's unimaginable that he would simply give the guard of his daughter to someone else, no matter how much he earns.

The first year (or several years, in the case of my three kids! ::)) can be very difficult, with sleepless nights and various other worries a regular occurance. Now I appreciate Torres is a professional, and will do his best to balance his career and family life, but at times I'm sure he'll find it harder than others. I'm sure he'll find the right balance in his life soon and the right form on the pitch to start terrorising other team's defences.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #2428: Sep 17, 2009 01:43:55 pm
      Just read he walked around Anfield with his daughter in his arms with Pepe an hour after the game. As much as his on field antics are getting on my nerves, you just have to love the bloke. Wish he was my dad...:D
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #2429: Sep 17, 2009 02:11:28 pm
      Whatever Torres is he isnt a machine. He actually seems like a thoroughly decent human being who has probably played too much football in the last 2 years and he hasnt got Stevie as his partner nor Fernando feeding the partnership so its role on Aqualani for me sooner the better. Lucas did play well last night but we havent yet replaced Xabi's wonderful way of deciding the tempo of the game.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #2430: Sep 17, 2009 03:13:55 pm
      Can't blame Nando. He hasn't stopped playing for 2 years already.

Magnificient 2007/2008, followed by Euro 2008 triumph. Did well in 2008/2009 and went for the Confederations Cup. Now back at Anfield for 2009/2010 and will go for the World Cup in the summer of 2010 and he'll be back again for 2010/2011. Imagine that!
      gegson
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #2431: Sep 17, 2009 03:41:36 pm
      That was a real superb goal
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #2432: Sep 17, 2009 03:47:59 pm
      He did make our goal tonight. Don't worry. He'll hit it soon.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #2433: Sep 17, 2009 03:59:37 pm
      He still has a goal every other game this year, which isn't bad for somebody out of form.

All I can say is if he's tired then he should stop pissing about on the pitch and just stay in the box. That's where he's at his best and if defenders wanna kick sh*t outta him, we get a pen. If they wanna leave him alone and give him space, he gets a shot and more than likely he'll score.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #2434: Sep 17, 2009 04:04:20 pm
      Just read he walked around Anfield with his daughter in his arms with Pepe an hour after the game. As much as his on field antics are getting on my nerves, you just have to love the bloke. Wish he was my dad...:D

Where?
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #2435: Sep 17, 2009 04:23:38 pm

Funny that my 6 year old grandson said the same "can Fernando be my dad" ?.I said " I'm sure your mum would like that"Ha Ha.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009 04:34:39 pm by ayrton77, Reason: Response was in quote box »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #2436: Sep 17, 2009 05:29:29 pm
      Torres targets title in 'best competition'

Fernando Torres believes the Premier League is still the world's best and wants to help Liverpool become its champions once again.

The Reds travel to West Ham in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday as their quest continues to bring home the trophy that has eluded them for almost 20 years.

The division has changed beyond recognition since the last time Liverpool were crowned champions in 1990, with the influx of superstar foreigners like Spanish striker Torres placing it in the eyes of many above any other leagues across the globe.

Such feeling has cooled somewhat after a summer which has seen the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and former Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso arrive in Spain to boost the Primera Division's box office appeal.

But for Torres, who spent 12 years playing in his homeland with Atletico Madrid, there is no doubt that England is the place to be.

"As a competition it is the best one," Torres told Press Association Sport.

"When you are talking about organisation, respect, and having all the stadiums full every weekend, it is really nice to see that.

"In Spain they have some of the better players in the world, but as a competition, it is not as big as the Premier League.

"I was playing in Spain, and I can tell you honestly, the Premier League is a much better competition."

Liverpool will be hoping for success both at home and abroad this year, but with the drought in league success ongoing and the prospect lurking of Manchester United overtaking the Reds' record all-time haul of 18 titles, Torres admits that the Premier League may have to take priority.

"We know that for the fans, for the club and for the majority of the players, the Premier League is a fantastic competition and we have had plenty of years not winning it, so maybe it is the priority," he said.

"We don't feel the pressure, but we know it would not be the best for Liverpool fans to see Manchester United with more English titles than us.

"But I think we are on our way, we are doing everything in our power to win trophies and we will see what happens at the end of the season."

The Spain striker said he was looking forward to giving the fans something to celebrate.

"I think the supporters cannot imagine what it would be like," Torres added.

"I saw when Liverpool won the Champions League, all the people around the city, and I remember when Spain won the European Championship and millions of people were in the street. I think it will be something similar.

"Twenty years with no trophy in the Premier League is a long time, so it is very exciting for all of us."

Liverpool did not make the best start in their mission, suffering two defeats in their opening three league games.

But recent victories over Bolton and Burnley, along with a winning start this week in the Champions League against Debrecen, has given the side some momentum and Torres believes they are heading in the right direction.

"We are recovering the confidence now after winning three games in a row," he said.

"We have to keep on like this, but also improve, and keep working hard because there are difficult games coming.

"But we are on our way. There are some players injured and they will come back soon to help the team, but we don't have time to think in terms of the recovery of players and improving then - we have to win now.

"If we lose points in the coming weeks it will be very difficult to stay at the top come January and February."

Somebody likely to play a key role in the weeks to come is midfielder Lucas, who has been given a run of starts since Alonso's departure and who Torres believes is becoming an integral part of the first XI.

"He is an international from Brazil, and this is not easy," Torres said.

"He is a fantastic player and he has to make a step forward now because Xabi has gone.

"He has the responsibility to become an important player for Liverpool and he has a real chance this season.

"He is playing in almost every game and we have real confidence in him.

"I am sure that he will get better in the future because he is still young. I hope he can be one of the best players for us this season."
      http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item324713/Torres-targets-title-in-%27best-competition%27/

There he goes again. Always talking and no action  :laugh: Only kidding, Nando. I know you'll be back sharpish.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #2437: Sep 17, 2009 05:47:50 pm
      Can't blame Nando. He hasn't stopped playing for 2 years already.

Magnificient 2007/2008, followed by Euro 2008 triumph. Did well in 2008/2009 and went for the Confederations Cup. Now back at Anfield for 2009/2010 and will go for the World Cup in the summer of 2010 and he'll be back again for 2010/2011. Imagine that!

Just thinking, would everyone rather Torres was given a rest during the season to ensure he was rested for some time before next season so that he can have some level of sharpness at the start of next season. Or focus more on our short term aims and hope for Spain to fail miserably at the World Cup?

Quick Reply