Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fernando Torres LFC Player Thread

Read 431731 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Fernando Torres Player Thread
      Reply #2438: Sep 17, 2009 05:53:17 pm
      I'm thinking he should get this season off. :D

One thing is, if he's on form, he's difficult to stop. So imagine if he keeps playing and is on form, he'll be always firing in all cylinders.
      I just want Nando to be back to his best :( At the moment, he looks as though he's struggling to even control and keep the ball.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #2439: Sep 17, 2009 06:17:46 pm
      anyone with access to ITV Torres is doing an interview on granada tonight in the next few minutes...  ;D
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #2440: Sep 17, 2009 06:24:03 pm
      He loves us.. thankfully! sort it out owners.. so we can do some business in January, for our challenge on all fronts.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #2441: Sep 17, 2009 06:39:27 pm
      He defo looks a bit out of sorts, but last night very few looked themselves, not a worry though, just get behind him and he'll be fine before you know it.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #2442: Sep 17, 2009 07:01:01 pm
      Not having the best of times at the moment but will come through it a better player and will score many goals this season hopefully starting Saturday.Just need to keep working and with a bit of luck it will turn round sooner rather than later
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #2443: Sep 17, 2009 07:42:49 pm
      Can't blame Nando. He hasn't stopped playing for 2 years already.

Magnificient 2007/2008, followed by Euro 2008 triumph. Did well in 2008/2009 and went for the Confederations Cup. Now back at Anfield for 2009/2010 and will go for the World Cup in the summer of 2010 and he'll be back again for 2010/2011. Imagine that!

He missed half of last season
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2444: Sep 18, 2009 12:49:41 am
      Exactly he spent more than half the season resting.

Needs no rest rather a good pep talk and the hunger to repay the fans for missing half the season last year.

He will score against the Hammers.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #2445: Sep 18, 2009 12:57:30 am
      No protection from the ref doesnt help.... Stevie not playing off him doesnt help...

The boy has rough treatment from defenders this season... we need him to be agressive...
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #2446: Sep 18, 2009 03:07:12 am
      No protection from the ref doesnt help.... Stevie not playing off him doesnt help...

The boy has rough treatment from defenders this season... we need him to be agressive...

Yeah, like how he made Nemanja Vidic look like Mickey Mouse. :D It's just a matter of time he returns to top gear.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #2447: Sep 18, 2009 07:48:45 am
      Thought I'd put this pic of him . He' had circles under his eyes must be really tire (a little daughter keeping him awake all night ) still looks cute ...even with dark circles !

Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #2448: Sep 18, 2009 09:24:27 am
      Thought I'd put this pic of him . He' had circles under his eyes must be really tire (a little daughter keeping him awake all night ) still looks cute ...even with dark circles !

I think that might be Carra ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2449: Sep 18, 2009 10:47:53 am

I'm sure it was the internet. Look it up.

In reference to that article, you just have to love him :D
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2450: Sep 18, 2009 11:56:32 am
      As I stated in the post match thread from last nights game, Torres looked absolutely fu**ed! He looked ill, pale, drawn and gaunt. At times I was expecting him to collapse. As he has stated in his autobiography, he is a very hands on man. He's never out on the lash and pissing his wages up against a wall, he's as down to earth as we are. Having a ten month and a twenty two month old boy myself, combined with working seven days a week, I can totally understand how hard he is finding this transition from young man to father.

Most of us are parents on this forum, so we all know what fatherhood entails. He may be the world's best striker, but like us, he is a human being, and now holds down the job of being a father too. No doubt he is having many sleepless nights, checking his daughter is sleeping safely, even when she's not crying, worrying at the slightest cough or sneeze, things we as parents can all relate to. Some things that can't be doubted are his commitment to Liverpool Football Club and his commitment to his family. He'll be right in a few weeks and everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about, mark my words. Blood is blood, and he bleeds the red of Liverpool.

Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number nine, husband to a beautiful wife, father to a beautiful daughter, hero to an adoring faithful and last but not least, a human being, just like everyone else.

Couldn't agree more. Without knowing his personal sh*t its completely unfair to judge. If his little un has got cholic even if he lives in a mansion there isn't a place that he wouldn't be kept awake by the crying, he could sleep on the roof! It penetrates your brain till it feels like its gonna explode. He could always book into a hotel to get away from it but he comes from a working class background and he's a family man with a 'grin and bear it' attitude which is apparent by his style of play in the past, get kicked, grin and score. Given the fact that he's had two black eyes in as many weeks his head must be bangin non-stop.

I for one am 100% sure that that particular Nando will return as soon as he gets used to bein a Dad.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #2451: Sep 18, 2009 01:06:42 pm
      TORRES: MY DEBUT SEASON IS HISTORY
      Jimmy Rice 18 September 2009

Fernando Torres wants to consign his record-breaking debut season to the history books by outdoing his 33-goal haul this term.

The 25-year-old saw his prolificacy interrupted by injury last season but, after starting the first six games of this campaign, he is confident about scaling the scoring charts once more.

"My first season does not matter now," said Torres. "I want this one to be better than that was. Three goals in six games is not bad, but I want more."

The Spain international is currently nursing his second black eye of the season - this one picked up on international duty.

El Nino admits he has had to adapt to the physical nature of football here in England. Not that he's complaining.

"It happens," he shrugs. "I have to adapt and protect myself because the referees cannot just try to protect three or four players. They have to look after everyone. England is a physical league, but we have to learn and adapt.

"The players here are strong and physical, but they are at least honest, much more so than in other leagues, including Spain. It is maybe not as physical there but people will try and kick you, or use their elbows. That does not happen here. The defenders are always fighting for the ball."

Torres has also vowed not to let his frustration at hefty challenges affect his game.

"I have spoken to Rafa a lot and he has told me to stop talking to referees, because they are just doing their job," he said. "We have watched clips of my first two seasons and I am just trying to do the things I was doing then. Scoring goals is always the best answer.

"If you get frustrated you cannot win the game. For the good of the team, I have to be focused and beat the defenders."

Meanwhile, Torres insists he does not need a rest following another busy summer in which he travelled to South Africa to star in the Confederations Cup.

"It was a really long season for me with so many games for Liverpool and then playing for Spain in the Confederations Cup," he said.

"I played a lot of minutes and I was a little bit tired. I haven't been at my best so far this season but I feel like I'm getting better.

"I'm focused on trying to get back to 100 per cent as soon as possible and I'm ready to play in every game.

"We have a lot of things to achieve for Liverpool this season and I want to stay fit. We have a lot of games coming up and then the World Cup at the end of the season."

Speaking at his book launch at Anfield yesterday, Torres also revealed why he feels at home here in Liverpool.

"The best thing for me about being in Liverpool is the relationship I have with the people," he said. "Liverpool's fans are incredible. They appreciate the effort you make and are quick to reward you for it.

"You return to the dressing room having given everything because they deserve it.

Torres on trophies
      "When I came to Liverpool my target was to win trophies. But so far two years, no trophies and that's a long time for a club like Liverpool. We are building a strong squad here and we have to be patient. After we win the first trophy, I'm sure the next one will come soon after."
      "The Kop is magical and generous. It transmits a kind of positive energy that fills you with confidence. It never lets you down. It never leaves you.

"Away from the pitch, the people respect my privacy. I can go around the Albert Dock, walk my dogs in the park or go to the seaside at Formby.

"In Spain it was difficult to go to a restaurant but in Liverpool I can do these things. It's only small details but they are really important to me.

"I'm only 25 and that's young to write a book but I know a lot of fans have been waiting for it and this is for them."

Torres has grabbed countless personal accolades since he arrived from Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2007.

His 90 appearances for the Reds have yielded 53 goals but as yet no silverware.

"I've already had some special moments in my career like winning the European Championships with Spain," he said. "After the Euros it was very special to go home because people treated us as heroes.

"I want to experience things like that here. I hope to stay at this club for a long time and my target is to be remembered here as one of the top players.

"When I came to Liverpool my target was to win trophies. But so far two years, no trophies, and that's a long time for a club like Liverpool.

"We are building a strong squad here and we have to be patient. After we win the first trophy, I'm sure the next one will come soon after.

"I hope my next book will be all about the many trophies I've won as a Liverpool player."

Torres is only too aware that there is one trophy Kopites yearn more than any other.

"I could feel from the first day I arrived here that the main thing was the Premier League, not the Champions League," he said.

"I know how important the league is to the fans and to be honest I would prefer to win the Premier League myself.

"Twenty years without winning it is a long time. I'm sure that day will come and when it does it will be fantastic for the players and the fans.

"I'll give everything to achieve that for the fans. I have to do more things for Liverpool and I know I can improve.

"I hope to come back in 20 years to watch games at Anfield as a supporter. When that happens I hope people will recognise me as a player who played in the team which ended the club's long wait to win the Premier League."

Torres's believes his transformation into one of the world's leading strikers is down in no small measure to the managerial skills of Rafa Benitez.

"He's so meticulous and he knows how to get the best out of his players," he said. "He's always trying to push you and improve everything about you.

"I have to say a big thank-you to him because in the last two years I've become a better player thanks to him."

Another hallmark relationship during Torres' two years on these shores has been with Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard.

"We have a fantastic relationship and it's amazing to play with someone like Stevie G," said El Nino.

"He has quality and pace and is the greatest player I've ever played with. I hope to play with him for many years.

"From my first day he was asking if I needed anything and he's been a great support to me."

Torres admits he has dared to dream about the possibility of lining up against his captain in South Africa next July.

"I want to play against Stevie in the World Cup final," he added. "England against Spain in the final would be special.

"If I could play against a friend like him that would be great because whatever happens one of us will be a winner."
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165815090918-0953.htm

Good read that. Mentioned everything we talked about.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2452: Sep 18, 2009 01:11:20 pm
      Continues to say the right things now do your talking on the pitch Nando.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #2453: Sep 18, 2009 01:41:45 pm
      Unlike many his words are genuine and not managed by some PR w**ker. He is our modern day Sir Roger and for the oldies that is about as high a recomendation that you can give.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2454: Sep 18, 2009 03:26:23 pm
      Torres in form admission

Liverpool star Fernando Torres admits he has not been at his best so far this season.

Torres was below-par in the midweek UEFA Champions League win over Debrecen fuelling rumours that the Spaniard is struggling for fitness.

The 25-year-old has hardly had a break for the last two seasons with club and country and although he concedes he is not feeling 100 per cent he does not want to be taken out of the firing line and given a rest by Rafa Benitez.

"It was a really long season for me with so many games for Liverpool and then playing for Spain in the Confederations Cup," he said.

"I played a lot of minutes and I was a little bit tired. I haven't been at my best so far this season but I feel like I'm getting better.
      Focused
      "I'm focused on trying to get back to 100% as soon as possible and I'm ready to play in every game.

"We have a lot of things to achieve for Liverpool this season and I want to stay fit. We have a lot of games coming up and then the World Cup at the end of the season.

"Players always want to play 90 minutes and I'm the same. But of course it's up the manager to manage this kind of situation."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5567456,00.html

At least he knows it, and is willing to admit it.

Now he needs to go about changing it. Come on Nando.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #2455: Sep 18, 2009 03:50:20 pm
      The first step is to accept it, and then he can push on and score some goals.

He doesn't need reminding that he can do it.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #2456: Sep 18, 2009 07:30:20 pm
      was good to hear that he knows he has not been at his best and i can see him working really hard in the next few weeks just to recapture his form,it won't be long before he is banging them in again.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #2457: Sep 18, 2009 07:36:22 pm
      He will get back to what he does best, he's a true professional. And cant wait for his book, been reading snips of it in the Daily Mirror.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2458: Sep 18, 2009 08:35:57 pm
      Imo he just needs to focus on his game and stop banging on at the officials and stressing himself about decisions that don't go his way, If he just stays focused and answers back in the best way possible by getting his name on the score sheet the return of an on fire El Nino will not be too far away.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #2459: Sep 19, 2009 07:29:14 pm
      Now, that's more like it Fernando :) and thanks for the brace!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2460: Sep 19, 2009 07:31:24 pm
      About F***ing time, knobhead.

I joke, sorta :D What a performance. See what a positive frame of mind does for you on the pitch? I dont think i saw him stropping about like a bi*ch at all today which is what you want to see as a fan and your team has a lone striker.

Quick Reply