Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Transfer deadline day gossip

Read 41588 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Transfer deadline day gossip
      Reply #575: Aug 31, 2010 06:47:34 pm
      JimBoardman    @RushianLFC Still time to boost that profit - the deadline's 11pm across most of Europe so presumably we can still sell. #lfc

Shut up!, those two will sell sell sell if they can!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #576: Aug 31, 2010 06:49:47 pm
      What I dont understand is that for the club to be sold, you've got to protect its value.

Not investing in players risks not making CL, risks losing the good players left on our books, risks not being able to attract the type of players we had always been competing for.

Out of CL reduces our advertising and broadcasting revenue.

Not buying exciting players reduces potential shirt sales.

Not buying players reduced the amount a buyer would want to pay as they have to take into account the outlay on player transfers when they come in.

Our wonderba owners continually reduce the value of the club and yet they overprice it over and above what its value once was.  As a supporter its sad but as somebody with half a business brain, it's downright shocking.

The thing is, H&G realize that Liverpool is a global brand..... they know (hope) someone will see the club as an investment, regardless of where we are in the league.  Man City were not and are not (yet) a global brand, yet they had an investor come in to take them to the next level.  H&G are holding out until they receive an offer that gives them a profit to send them on their way.  They don't care if they strip the club of its assets, because they know that our biggest asset is our fan base....the Liverpool fans will always remain faithful. 

The only thing H&G absolutely won't do is invest any of their own money into the club, because they will not end up getting it back.  So, until a new buyer comes in, they will continue to run the club into the ground, hoping that someone comes in to save their asses....they don't give two shits about the club or the fans.

The big problem with all of this is that most investors realize that H&G are running out of time with the banks, and RBS will eventually force them into a sale.  So it is basically a waiting game.... H&G will continue to sell off assets and strike up refinancing deals in the hope someone will come in and send them off with a profit, while the potential investors are simply waiting for the banks to force the sale of the club to the highest bidder.  All we can hope for is that RBS won't allow them to refinance again, and forces their hand as early as October.
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #577: Aug 31, 2010 06:49:57 pm
      JimBoardman    @RushianLFC Still time to boost that profit - the deadline's 11pm across most of Europe so presumably we can still sell. #lfc

Hope the management are not reading your suggestion!
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #578: Aug 31, 2010 06:53:58 pm
      Hope the management are not reading your suggestion!

its not my suggestion, just reported  that from twitter, 
       and asked why in england the window closes earlier, thought it was a UEFA/FIFA deadline
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #579: Aug 31, 2010 06:55:35 pm
      Well that was a big bag of w*nk ,cannot believe we havnt signed a striker,what a fookin joke.
      How much have them 2 tw*ts pocketed over transfers,really pissed of nothing has happened.bobbins
      Zeus
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      Reply #580: Aug 31, 2010 06:56:02 pm
      The thing is, H&G realize that Liverpool is a global brand..... they know (hope) someone will see the club as an investment, regardless of where we are in the league.  Man City were not and are not (yet) a global brand, yet they had an investor come in to take them to the next level.  H&G are holding out until they receive an offer that gives them a profit to send them on their way.  They don't care if they strip the club of its assets, because they know that our biggest asset is our fan base....the Liverpool fans will always remain faithful. 

The only thing H&G absolutely won't do is invest any of their own money into the club, because they will not end up getting it back.  So, until a new buyer comes in, they will continue to run the club into the ground, hoping that someone comes in to save their asses....they don't give two shits about the club or the fans.

The big problem with all of this is that most investors realize that H&G are running out of time with the banks, and RBS will eventually force them into a sale.  So it is basically a waiting game.... H&G will continue to sell off assets and strike up refinancing deals in the hope someone will come in and send them off with a profit, while the potential investors are simply waiting for the banks to force the sale of the club to the highest bidder.  All we can hope for is that RBS won't allow them to refinance again, and forces their hand as early as October.

Scary times. 

But even supporters have their limit.  A few more not showing up to games and having to make do with some crappy online stream, not buying shirts even though they want to and promised the kid one for Christmas.....there is a limit. 

There aren't enough swearwords in the book to explain what I think of what's been going on. 
      imcfitz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      Reply #581: Aug 31, 2010 07:12:40 pm
      Ok so not a lot happened on the day but don't forget we've just signed Meireles. No reason to get too down about it.

Yeah Meireles was really our late window signing....I would much rather stay put then waste money.

true guys, thought i put something in there praising roy for his secret work, must have been in a first draft or a diff post  :f_doh:

spose i aint got the nous that roy does, lets just see what he can get outta this crop.

if im honest im not upset bout knochesky at all, while we all know we are cash strapped we dont seem to accept we must purchase in the bargain store. while i understand he may not be a "steal" at his price, he does bring significant EPL experience and is a a bit surer than insua when it comes to defensive duties, decent left peg too.

on the whole meireles deal - fuppin epic! nowhere near a masch type player a.k.a destroyer but is a classy box to box player who will put in a tackle, good eye for a pass, decent shot on him, mean tatts and a serious fringe too  :f_whistle:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #582: Aug 31, 2010 07:18:31 pm
      I said at the start of the window that a striker should be our priority, we didn't sign one and I'm gutted to be honest has left our options extremely limited up front.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #583: Aug 31, 2010 07:26:34 pm
      I said at the start of the window that a striker should be our priority, we didn't sign one and I'm gutted to be honest has left our options extremely limited up front.

I think we were all saying it last summer, and January as well.

Hugely disappointing that Liverpool Football Club cannot purchase a quality striker.  Glad we didn't get Cole.  Both N'gog and Babel are better than him.  That would have been trading down.

So we just need Torres to be a bionic man.

Another £9M banked for the banks.

The 5th transfer window we have made a profit. Or at least spent money on interest instead of player.  I sincerely hope that come January those two cu*ts are well and truly shut of and all their minions have gone with them.

Overall the transfer window has been a huge disappointment.  Like I said in an earlier thread, fingers crossed Miereles is a world beater.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #584: Aug 31, 2010 07:37:10 pm
      F***ing hell.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #585: Aug 31, 2010 07:48:01 pm
      What promises were made to Torres about quality signings etc... ffs can't we even attract a striker.........beyond a joke.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #586: Aug 31, 2010 07:59:48 pm
      Apparently Spurs signed van der Vaart for £8M. I know they play in different positions, but didn't we offer more than that for a player of Carlton Cole's quality?
      iamrafa
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      • Any chance of the old job back ?
      Reply #587: Aug 31, 2010 08:01:29 pm
      Spurs getting Van der Vaart.

This really pisses me off.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #588: Aug 31, 2010 08:03:19 pm
      Ah well, at least Nando or Stevie never jumped ship
      :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #589: Aug 31, 2010 08:04:17 pm
      @ jasonburt_tele - Interesting...spoke to source at #epl and apparently there is a log-jam of deals still to be ratified. Loads went through seconds before 6pm.

That VDV deal probably one of them. I'm gonna be majorly pissed if a player like that goes to Spurs for 8m when we offered that to F***ing C. Cole!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #590: Aug 31, 2010 08:06:37 pm
      They tried apparently Dave, but I think they narrowly failed signing Rafael, ran out of time. I know for a 100% that he was looking to leave. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #591: Aug 31, 2010 08:07:26 pm
      I bet VDV demands at least 100K a week though, Carlton Cole probably half of that.

All the top players want a 6 figure per week salary, something we can not offer to players other than Gerrard and Torres.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #592: Aug 31, 2010 08:08:19 pm
      on a positive note....

Lucas Stayed!!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #593: Aug 31, 2010 08:24:44 pm
      I bet VDV demands at least 100K a week though, Carlton Cole probably half of that.

All the top players want a 6 figure per week salary, something we can not offer to players other than Gerrard and Torres.

Well if he was joining spurs you'd be wrong seeing as though they have a salary cap of around 70k u think it is?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #594: Aug 31, 2010 08:37:40 pm
      2026: DONE DEAL: Liverpool have completed the transfer of Damien Plessis to Greek outfit Panathinaikos for an undisclosed fee.

Queen - 'Another One Bites the Dust'

It's not even funny.  :f_steam:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #595: Aug 31, 2010 09:03:11 pm
      They tried apparently Dave, but I think they narrowly failed signing Rafael, ran out of time. I know for a 100% that he was looking to leave. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Remember just a week ago VDV himself saying he wanted to go to manure cos he didn't wanna take a 'step down' as well :roll:

Hopefully it fell through anyways.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #596: Aug 31, 2010 09:18:43 pm
      Remember just a week ago VDV himself saying he wanted to go to manure cos he didn't wanna take a 'step down' as well :roll:

Hopefully it fell through anyways.
      Not sure if he said it that way mate. It's hard to know what the press exactly asked, he answered and how they spun it. But I saw him on dutch tv yesterday myself, Schalke was mentioned and he was more than willing to go, so Tottenham would definitely have a chance at signing him too.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #597: Aug 31, 2010 09:26:23 pm
      Guys, why are you all worrying???

Look, the transfer window might be shut but look at these gems we can still sign!

Liam Rosenior, Jeremie Aliadiere, Lee Hendrie, Francis Jeffers, Keith Gillespie, Russell Hoult, Gavin Mahon, Jay DeMerit, and Barry Hayles.

Barry Hayles anyone? 38 years old, released by a league 2 club this summer :)

Chin up guys eh?  :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply