Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Paul Konchesky (Liverpool -> Leicester City)

Read 63169 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Paul Konchesky Player Thread
      Reply #69: Sep 01, 2010 02:49:25 pm
      Atleast someone thinks he can be an exciting signing for us

Gary Gillespie believes Paul Konchesky will add a new dimension to Liverpool's attack.

The former Fulham left-back completed his move to Anfield on transfer deadline day and the ex-Reds defender feels the 29-year-old could prove to be a shrewd bit of business by Roy Hodgson.

"In modern football width comes from the full-backs, so there is probably more emphasis on attacking defenders more than back in my day," Gillespie told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"He is a player who will get down the left side and attack. He is naturally left-footed and that gives us good balance down that flank."

"He's been about for quite a while. I think he is still a relatively young man considering that and I like the look of him. We remember him from the Cup final in Cardiff, of course, when he scored that wonderful goal - whether it was a cross or a shot we don't know.

"We know he's got ability so we'll see how well he integrates into the team's framework."

Prior to Konchesky's arrival, Hodgson had made no secret of his desire to bolster his squad with a left-back.

Gillespie feels the move represents a golden opportunity for the Reds' new No.3 and is confident he can fill what has been a problem position for Liverpool in recent weeks.

"For most of the pre-season we have been crying out for a recognised left-back," he said. "I know Daniel Agger has filled in there but the only recognised one we had was Fabio Aurelio.

"It's a department we've been looking to strengthen for quite a while. Roy Hodgson obviously knows him very well from Fulham. That's just a natural thing because managers look to players they know and trust."

He added: "Anytime a club like Liverpool comes calling you can't turn it down. It's a massive opportunity for him. It's now down to him to make the best of it."

Gary, it was a cross   :f_doh:
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,586 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #70: Sep 01, 2010 03:33:23 pm
      Not a bad signing- who knows what he can do when surrounded with better players than previously?
      Will only judge after i have seen him playing in red- fingers crossed for him!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #71: Sep 01, 2010 05:17:28 pm
      All I can say is that he's probably better than Insua, so there's that at least...
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #72: Sep 01, 2010 06:27:23 pm
      He's dope
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #73: Sep 01, 2010 06:29:56 pm
      Jesus christ, give the lad a chance will you? Hasn't even put on the red shirt yet, some fans are ridiculous, they really are. He may not be anyones first choice, but atleast let him play 10 seconds before you judge.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #74: Sep 01, 2010 08:35:32 pm
      Yes, just thank God that he'll be better than Insua. There is no doubt about that.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #75: Sep 01, 2010 08:41:49 pm
      Never once I thought that Paul Konchesky would be a Liverpool player. On a day where I read Rafael van der Vaart was about to move from Real Madrid to Tottenham Hotspurs, we have to be happy with Paul Konchesky as our big name signing....sighhhh...
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #76: Sep 01, 2010 09:05:10 pm
      Never once I thought that Paul Konchesky would be a Liverpool player. On a day where I read Rafael van der Vaart was about to move from Real Madrid to Tottenham Hotspurs, we have to be happy with Paul Konchesky as our big name signing....sighhhh...

Could be worse, Konchesky could still be at Fulham and we could of been stuck with...
      Insua - Who everyone complains about being rubbish
      Aurelio - Who imo has been oor thus far, but is due an injury any time now
      Agger - Who well, couldn't deal with a winger who couldn't make it to the world cup (regardless of whether he should of or not).
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #77: Sep 01, 2010 09:19:09 pm
      Well, Roy must've seen something in the lad after the time spent at Fulham so while his signing is disappointing to a lot of us (for the record, me included) let's see what he's all about in a red shirt eh?

Welcome to Liverpool F.C Paul.

YNWA.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #78: Sep 01, 2010 09:41:49 pm
      Flying in the face of opposition.

Good player, and I am glad we got him. Tho a 4 year contract for a 29yo is stupid, but I think he will be good for 2 years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #79: Sep 01, 2010 10:53:31 pm
      Crikes, can't believe this signing to be honest but oh well, give the lad a chance i suppose, not like we could have afforded a World Class player instead.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #80: Sep 01, 2010 11:19:30 pm
      I'll be honest have heard a hell of a lot of negativity about this signings from ex-pros and I'd have to agree with them.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,223 posts | 3394 
      Reply #81: Sep 01, 2010 11:52:52 pm
      Joey Jones (Wrexham)
      Alan Kennedy (Newcastle)
      Jim Beglin (Shamrock Rovers)
      Steve Staunton (Dundalk)

None of these were the "world class" left backs but every F***ing one of them did a job for us. And were bought from relatively unknown sides.

If Konchesky gets anywhere near the level of these four, he'll of done well. He's an improvement, in my opinion, on Insua and Aurelio so that for me is a plus. You sign to improve to your side, we have in Paul Konchesky.

Diddums he's not the biggest name in world football, well news F***ing flash - we're skint. We've no money. We all know that so why sound so F***ing disappointed when we sign a player of this level. If we had Man City's money and bought Konchesky, I could understand the amount of stick he's taking. But when our transfer budget is about the same as Duncan Goodew's barber's yearly wage, what the F**k are you expecting?

I don't mind Konchesky as a full back. I think he'll steady the left back position which has been a bit of a problem for a while. He might not bomb forward like some, but as I've always stated I want my defenders to be able to defend first and foremost. For me, Konchesky can and will.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #82: Sep 02, 2010 09:25:44 am
      Our defense was pretty strong last season.

Why didnt we win anything? We lacked goals

N'uff said.

What???? Thought last season apart from Pepe the defence was shocking especially at left back.

Konchesky may not bethe big name we were hoping for but can someone name a left back that is world class and more importantly one that we can afford. Not really.

Left back has been a problem for us for a few years now so at least Konchesky will be solid and consistent if not outstanding.

Welcome aboard lad.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #83: Sep 02, 2010 09:35:48 am
      It will be interesting to see like whats said like with Poulsen after a  couple of weeks when after seeing him people realise how mediocre he is as a player.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #84: Sep 02, 2010 10:01:21 am
      It will be interesting to see like whats said like with Poulsen after a  couple of weeks when after seeing him people realise how mediocre he is as a player.

After a few weeks....?? Are you serious mate....players need a bit of time to settle into a new side.

DLS - bloody good post that mate.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #85: Sep 02, 2010 10:04:10 am
      As I said it will be interesting to see what people say after seeing him play for a few weeks, when you see the negative comments being aimed at Poulsen already.

My mind was made up on both players before they came here to be honest from seeing them play on numerous occasions.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #86: Sep 02, 2010 10:28:22 am
      He's an improvement, in my opinion, on Insua and Aurelio so that for me is a plus. You sign to improve to your side, we have in Paul Konchesky.
      Exacaly my point aswell mate. Had we gone into the season with Insua again we would of being in a worse position. Had we the money to buy a world class LB we would have, but we don't and we bought Paul. He's not half as bad as people are making him out to be.

A.Cole,Evra,Bale and maybe Clichy are above him as in class in the PL. I cant remember in all honestly hearing a bad word about the lad. The unfortunate problem for Paul is the people doubting his ability now, will be watching him like a f**king perv on his every move. Just so they can prove he was always going to fail, give him a chance FFS.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #87: Sep 02, 2010 12:32:24 pm
      Back him fair enough but tell us why you think he is a good player his attributes, F**k sake it aint good enough to just say he is a Liverpool player so what Voronin spent 3 years as a Liverpool player.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #88: Sep 02, 2010 12:37:22 pm
      Corbally, do you or do you not think he's better than Insua and Aurelio?
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #89: Sep 02, 2010 12:42:27 pm
      He is a better player than Insua although I don't know how injury prone he is.
      Will he be trading places with Fabio between the pitch and the physio's table?
      I hope not. 
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #90: Sep 02, 2010 12:44:52 pm
      If I'm being honest I do, but not by much, not enough to sacrifice one of the best prospects at the club, Dalle Valle. Look I think Konchesky is solid enough but I think he is no where near a top player.

He is lacking pace and is supectable to a decent winger, he does have a decent left leg.

I was listening to Danny Mills talking about him yesterday, Mills played with him said he is a decent player but he is suprised Liverpool would just be looking for just decent players, he was very suprised by the transfer but said it highlighted the problems at Liverpool.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,223 posts | 3394 
      Reply #91: Sep 02, 2010 12:51:22 pm
      What the F**k has Liverpool got to do with Danny Mills in the first place? Secondly, we're looking at "just decent" players Mr Mills because we're skint and can only afford "just decent" players. Thirdly, this "just decent" player is a marked improvement on what we currently have at left back. Fourthly, while Dalle Valle may of been one of the brightest prospects at the club, he may never of reached his potential (like so many of our youngsters have) and we need a side capable of achieving things now - not in the future.

Quick Reply