Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Carra: Don't Abuse Michael Owen At My Testimonial.

Read 10352 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Carra: Don't Abuse Michael Owen At My Testimonial.
      Sep 03, 2010 09:17:15 am
      Jamie Carragher asks Liverpool fans not to abuse Michael Owen in charity testimonial
      Jamie Carragher has pleaded with Liverpool supporters not to taint his charity testimonial on Saturday by subjecting Michael Owen to a hostile reception, despite admitting the former Anfield icon “upset some people” by signing for bitter rivals Manchester United last season.

By Mark Ogden
      Published: 7:15AM BST 03 Sep 2010

Owen, 30, who scored 158 goals in 297 appearances for Liverpool prior to his transfer to Real Madrid in 2004, has agreed to play alongside Carragher in a Liverpool shirt during the former England defender’s benefit game against an Everton XI at Anfield.

Owen became a target for terrace abuse at Anfield by agreeing to move to Old Trafford on a free transfer from Newcastle in July 2009.

But Carragher insists that supporters should remember Owen’s contribution as a Liverpool player and overlook his Manchester United connections following his decision to accept an invitation to play in a game from which all proceeds will go to Carragher’s 23 foundation, which supports local charities and groups.

Carragher said he hoped Owen’s United move did not affect his reception “because I think he deserves a great one for what he did for Liverpool. He was a fantastic player, right up there with the greats for what he did.

“He left in difficult circumstances, but when he went to Manchester United, his career was on a bit of a downward spiral and he’ll admit that himself.

“So the chance to go to one of the biggest clubs in the world was difficult to turn down. He moved and upset some people, but he had to do what was right for himself and his family.

“His kids were just starting school and he wanted to move back home so that came into it as well.”

United supporters are being urged to mark the Premier League clash against Liverpool at Old Trafford later this month with an ‘old shirt’ protest against the club’s owners, the Glazer family.

Despite the Glazers’ insistence that they have no plans to sell United in the wake of sustained opposition to their ownership last season and increased interest rates on a portion of the club‘s £716.5 million debt, supporters remain determined to maintain the profile of their campaign.

The green-and-gold campaign, symbolised by the wearing of scarves in the colours of Newton Heath, United’s forerunners, proved a hugely successful and visible image of anti-Glazer sentiment among the club’s supporters.

But a proposed boycott of season tickets proved less successful, with United chief executive David Gill revealing this week that the club sold 51,800 season tickets this summer, a drop of only 2,200 on 12 months ago.

Fans’ groups are now planning a protest that involves supporters wearing United shirts that pre-date the Glazers’ 2005 takeover.

Guardian
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2010 12:52:11 pm by JD »
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Re: Carra: Don't Abuse Michael Owen At My Testimonial.
      Reply #1: Sep 03, 2010 09:18:40 am
      As you asked nicely Jamie we won't but it doesn't stop him being a b***ard in my opinion.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2: Sep 03, 2010 09:23:10 am
      As much as I hate to say it, Fair play to Michael Owen for actually playing - its taken a lot of bottle and guts to actually do it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Sep 03, 2010 09:26:08 am
      As much as I hate to say it, Fair play to Michael Owen for actually playing - its taken a lot of bottle and guts to actually do it.

Ironically, he should cop some bottles to the gut >:D

No, seriously, as much as i hate Owen now - for Carra, i do hope the fans just forget Owen's out there and enjoy the day for what it is - the testimonial for one of our legends, Carra. To boo Owen would be forgetting what this is about, and would piss Carra off, therefore ruining his day a bit. We don't want that, so lets hope people embrace the spirit of the day. Leave the Owen booing for when he comes wearing that F***ing manc sh*t shirt and any other time.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #4: Sep 03, 2010 09:28:00 am
      Also, How much is it going to piss the Manc's off seeing Owen in the shirt he prefers wearing :)
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #5: Sep 03, 2010 09:30:55 am
      Also, How much is it going to piss the Manc's off seeing Owen in the shirt he prefers wearing :)

Agreed. Carra is probably Owen's best mate in football, so fair play to him for showing up and playing. It would be funny though if he ended up doing his hamstring though...
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Sep 03, 2010 09:33:18 am

Had thought the same thing :D A lot of them must be fuming!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #7: Sep 03, 2010 10:24:02 am

Certainly won't piss me off. He was a hero for Liverpool and like Carra says, give the fellow some respect if not just for Carra  :) His best days were at Liverpool, people should remember that  ;) Were just having the left overs of him now. I still fail to see why so many ex Liverpool players get so much stick :-\ Its not as if he's playing better for United than he did for Liverpool.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Sep 03, 2010 10:28:00 am
      Certainly won't piss me off. He was a hero for Liverpool and like Carra says, give the fellow some respect if not just for Carra  :) His best days were at Liverpool, people should remember that  ;) Were just having the left overs of him now. I still fail to see why so many ex Liverpool players get so much stick :-\ Its not as if he's playing better for United than he did for Liverpool.

It's that he played for Liverpool, then went to United later! :D

We don't give every ex player stick, not most of us anyways. Owen, Diouf etc are exceptions due to Owen being a traitor and Diouf being.. well, a c**t.

Trust me, while you may not do it yourself, if someone like Rooney who is a hero to many Mancs was to leave, then after 5 years come back and go to Liverpool instead, he would have the same treatment. Just the way it is!

It's principle mate, all about principle. I would rather retire at 29 if i was in Owen's position than take up at manure.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Sep 03, 2010 10:43:45 am
      Yes but you got the best years out of him so i can't see the the big issue  :-\ Its not as if he's playing better now, far from it.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #10: Sep 03, 2010 10:44:32 am
      yer im sure he said he would off joined us again for a smaller wage than what hes getting from manure but rafa didnt want him im pretty sure thats how it was
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #11: Sep 03, 2010 10:45:24 am
      It would be disrespectful to Jamie if Owen got any abuse on the night and definitely the wrong spirit for the occasion.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #12: Sep 03, 2010 10:46:45 am
      Have to admit I wasn't going to hold back on the little rat, but since Carra's asked, I'll just ignore the c**t.

Probably be injured by tomorrow anyway.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Sep 03, 2010 10:48:05 am
      Yes but you got the best years out of him so I can't see the the big issue  :-\ Its not as if he's playing better now, far from it.

Doesn't matter though, if you pull on that shirt its just not on.

However, i still believe as i said earlier that in this instance, it would be disrespectful to Carra's day to let him have it - so hopefully nothing will happen.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #14: Sep 03, 2010 10:59:40 am

However, I still believe as I said earlier that in this instance, it would be disrespectful to Carra's day to let him have it - so hopefully nothing will happen.

I do agree  :) Will it happen??. Percentages wise :roll: 50 / 50. Hope its a good game anyway  :)
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #15: Sep 03, 2010 11:18:52 am
      I am not going to give him any kind of reception, negative nor positive. In my eyes, he doesn't deserve it. After he left the club the way he did, i will never forgive him. He was my childhood hero.
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #16: Sep 03, 2010 11:26:47 am
      Is this game on television anywhere!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #17: Sep 03, 2010 11:28:05 am
      Is this game on television anywhere!

As far as i know, it is live on LFCTV.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #18: Sep 03, 2010 11:39:37 am
      I am not going to give him any kind of reception, negative nor positive.

Same as me.
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #19: Sep 03, 2010 12:06:58 pm
      What if he scores and kiss the badge. That will piss the maniacs and us. But if you ask me I'd love it.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #20: Sep 03, 2010 12:07:53 pm
      What if he scores and kiss the badge. That will piss the maniacs and us. But if you ask me I'd love it.

Would be utterly hilarious!
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #21: Sep 03, 2010 12:40:10 pm
      Come on lads, Owen made a mistake by not staying on when Benitez came. He wanted to come back to Anfield from Madrid but Camacho told Benitez that he wasn't fit enough. That's why  he went to Newcastle. As for him going to Manure, Whisky nose was the only Premiership manager prepared to take him (remember him hawking himself around the managers?)

And boy, has he paid for making that mistake.

Liverpool supporters are too big to jeer one of our own. (However, I might make an exception in the case of Diouf) We never jeered Keeganand we never jeered McManaman and they did exactly the same as Owen. Let's show the mancs that we couldn't care less that he's playing for them.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #22: Sep 03, 2010 12:58:39 pm
      Come on lads, Owen made a mistake by not staying on when Benitez came. He wanted to come back to Anfield from Madrid but Camacho told Benitez that he wasn't fit enough. That's why  he went to Newcastle. As for him going to Manure, Whisky nose was the only Premiership manager prepared to take him (remember him hawking himself around the managers?)

And boy, has he paid for making that mistake.

Liverpool supporters are too big to jeer one of our own. (However, I might make an exception in the case of Diouf) We never jeered Keeganand we never jeered McManaman and they did exactly the same as Owen. Let's show the mancs that we couldn't care less that he's playing for them.

Now thats what i like to here. Great post  :)

Quick Reply