Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Andriy Voronin (Liverpool -> Dinamo Moscow)

Read 126318 times
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Re: Voronin?
      Reply #23: Jul 06, 2007 06:17:13 pm
      According to my p.c. converter, what Romanukraine is trying to say is...

"All within the standard, children. The crow still of head for you will crowd, you will its surname even on [Anfilde] sing"

Romanukraine is the new Cantona me thinks :boggl3y3dummy-ani:
      « Last Edit: Jul 06, 2007 06:35:21 pm by THE MESSIAH »
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #24: Jul 06, 2007 06:29:56 pm
      You have had a radical change in your opinion in the last couple of hours....

nothin wrong with that !!!
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #25: Jul 07, 2007 12:17:06 pm
      РЕБЯТА - is not children. It's guys.

Our experts weren't far off ;)

Anyway about Voronin... him being handed the number 10 shirt has shocked me, but I'm willing to give the lad a chance.  We'll soon see come August.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Re: Andriy Voronin - good enough?
      Reply #26: Jul 08, 2007 02:21:12 pm
      You lot worried about the no 10 shirt when kewell still has the no 7  :-[
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #27: Jul 08, 2007 08:12:01 pm
      You lot worried about the no 10 shirt when kewell still has the no 7  :-[

Good point. I'm not really bothered who wears what number, in todays squad system the numbers are not really important.
      On the subject of Voronin, I like most on the forum haven't really seen much of him so I don't see the point in criticising him before he has even had a chance to show us what he can do. Just because he was free doesn't reflect on his ability, it's not his fault he was out of contract. Let's give him a chance to show his quality then if he isn't up to it we can discuss it further.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Jul 08, 2007 08:26:31 pm
      Good point. I'm not really bothered who wears what number, in todays squad system the numbers are not really important.
      On the subject of Voronin, I like most on the forum haven't really seen much of him so I don't see the point in criticising him before he has even had a chance to show us what he can do. Just because he was free doesn't reflect on his ability, it's not his fault he was out of contract. Let's give him a chance to show his quality then if he isn't up to it we can discuss it further.

Spot on mate. Said everything there is to say there, until we've actually seen him playing for us. And even then, I still think some people will judge him, just because he was on a free. Not as much pressure as Torres obviously, but he'll still need support.
      ian0271
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 09, 2007 09:06:58 pm
        Spot on mate !How the hell can anyone slag Voronin off when he hasn't even played for us yet,for f*ck sake give the bloke a chance.I haven't seen him play so it wouldn't be fair for me to judge him yet.As we have just signed Torres, it could be an ideal situation for Voronin because, nobody is expecting him to play that well so he has a lot less pressure than the other strikers.I'll laugh my tits off if he ends up our top scorer !Good luck to the lad.
      give the lad a chance i have watched some of his goals on youtube some of them are really good goals  and i know you will say its only german league i will be laughing aswell if hes our top scorer stranger things have happened
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #30: Jul 10, 2007 08:31:16 am
      i would take bellamy over him anyday....;D
      but hey, if he can come off the bench and score a few goals here and there, ill be happy...he might worry defenders coz they will be so tightly man marking torres and kuyt, they might loose sight of voronin for a split second...
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #31: Jul 10, 2007 08:47:31 am
      You would take "Bellamy anyday" a man who has failed both on and off the pitch at Liverpool and so has been shipped out to that giant of world football West Ham! over Voronin a player who hasn't kicked a ball for us yet? also very interesting is the fact that you think Torres, Kuyt and Voronin will all be on the pitch at the same time, i know he can play on the wing but dont you think it will be a rare occurrence if he does?
      Tell you what mate I hope that smiley meant you are only joking ;D
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #32: Jul 10, 2007 12:12:56 pm
      the problem with voronin is his track record is extremaly averagehe's a stricker who doesn't score to many goals! yes we havn't seen him play but do we need to to pass judgement on him we are not a average team we wont settle for second best so why settle for voronin. i just hope the lad makes me eat my words but i wont be putting any money on him being top scorer
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #33: Jul 10, 2007 12:40:59 pm
      the problem with voronin is his track record is extremaly averagehe's a stricker who doesn't score to many goals! yes we havn't seen him play but do we need to to pass judgement on him we are not a average team we wont settle for second best so why settle for voronin. I just hope the lad makes me eat my words but I wont be putting any money on him being top scorer

£20m for Torres and a possible £13.5m for Babel says we are not a team who settle for second best, you say "yes we haven't seen him play" but then say "why settle for Voronin who is second best" how do you come to that judgement about a player who by your own admission you have never seen play? Voronin represents value for money, why? because he has cost us nothing, I agree his goal scoring record doesn't look good on paper but say Rafa hasn't brought him in for that and has some other use for him, it is a squad game and I for one like the way Rafa brings in players who can be utilised in a couple of positions and so I wont be criticising the lad just yet, now if he misses a sitter against the Mancs then things might change. ;D

I am sure you have seen this mate but if not have read of his profile as they mention the fact how often he is used in midfield instead of as a striker.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Voronin
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2007 12:47:16 pm by Glenbuck »
      jonny d
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #34: Jul 13, 2007 10:22:50 pm
      he could turn out good. and he was free so it cant be a loss.
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #35: Jul 13, 2007 10:55:32 pm
      It appears the guy's crime is he joined for free. Therefore he must be sh*te because we didn't pay a massive fee for the guy.

Maybe Rafa should take a leaf out of Houllier's book and buy players we've never heard of before like Cheyrou, Diao, Diouf etc and run the clubs finances into the ground.

Ok his signing didn't create the buzz that Torres did, but get a grip people and give the guy a kick of the ball first.

Or, those who refuse to wait to do so and still think he's not good enough then blame the manager..... he signed him.

Give the guy a break
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #36: Jul 14, 2007 05:25:34 pm
      It appears the guy's crime is he joined for free. Therefore he must be sh*te because we didn't pay a massive fee for the guy.

Give the guy a break

Well said.  In response to the original title of this thread.  He looked very good today on his debut.

I see none of the Voronin-bashers have taken JD up on his offer...

If anyone slagging him off already wants to stick their money where their mouth is and wants to suggest that Voronin is going to be our worst striker in terms of goals scored per minute played then I would be happy to match your wager.
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #37: Jul 14, 2007 06:16:53 pm
      Far to early to pass any sort of real judgement, but I was impressed in what I saw of him today. He is very, very strong and holds up the ball well, didnt shirk a challenge and always looking for the ball.
      LFC Gary
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #38: Jul 15, 2007 02:46:13 pm
      He looked very good yesterday, but you can't really judge a player one one game. I think he's only going to be used sparingly, and most class players won't accept staying on the bench for long times. Does anyone think we could've got someone better who'll be happy to only play a handful of games?
      bred54
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #39: Jul 15, 2007 04:02:36 pm
      i agree too early to tell , i don't think he is going to be a prolific goal scorer, but used as a squad player mostly on the bench and cup games
      after watching him yesterday he's not a bad player and will probably do what Rafa asks and score 15 + goals per season ;D
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #40: Jul 15, 2007 06:47:27 pm
      I haven't posted for along time, but reading your comments concerns me!

Most of you have said that you haven't seen much about Andriy Voronin, but continue to say how he is not good enough for the team or your doubting his ability.
      Is this the new Liverpool way? Have I missed something? I thought the FANS backed every player that first arrives at the club and support him and give him every chance to prove himself?

Now I am a football Freak and had the pleasure of watching matches that included Voronin and I can say I am glad to have him with us!  ;D
      His goal scoring form won't shatter any records, but it's not totally sh*t! Especially as he plays alot of his games from midfield! And it's his work rate for the team that is his main benefit.
      He is good with the ball at his feet and in the air. He can link up play, and hold the ball up untill support arrives. He also is a bulldoser! He knocks defenders flying left, right and center and is not afraid to get stuck in (which is why he gets played in midfield alot).

Now don't get me wrong, he won't be our top goalscorer, but he will help others score more! and any goals he does get are usually outstanding! I wouldn't be surprised if he played at least half the games this season (if he settles in well).
      But it is hard for players to settle in. Look at Torres, £30m, but that does not guarentee he'll be great. He certainly has the talent but its all down to how well they adapted to the league.
      Voronin has advantages to help him, as the physical side should not bother him at all (I would like to see him chasing the same ball with Ferdinand or Terry, I bet both would be on their arse! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P)

So give him a chance fellas. I'm pretty sure we've just robbed Bayer!

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2007 07:02:46 pm by Jrwanderer »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #41: Jul 15, 2007 06:51:44 pm
      I haven't posted for along time, but reading your comments concerns me!

Most of you have said that you haven't seen much about Andriy Voronin, but continue to say how he is not good enough for the team or your doubting his ability.
      Is this the new Liverpool way? Have I missed something? I thought the FANS backed every player that first arrives at the club and support him and give him every chance to prove himself?

Now I am a football Freak and had the pleasure of watching matches that included Voronin and I can say I am glad to have him with us!  ;D
      His goal scoring form won't shatter any records, but it's not totally sh*t! Especially as he plays alot of his games from midfield! And it's his work rate for the team that is his main benefit.
      He is good with the ball at his feet and in the air. He can link up play, and hold the ball up untill support arrives. He also is a bulldoser! He knocks defenders flying left, right and center and is not afraid to get stuck in (which is why he gets played in midfield alot).

Now don't get me wrong, he won't be our top goalscorer, but he will help others score more! and any goals he does get are usually outstanding! I wouldn't be surprised if he played at least half the games this season (if he settles in well).
      But it is hard for players to settle in. Look at Torres £30m, but that does guarentee he'll be great. He certainly has the talent but its all down to how well they adapted to the league.
      Voronin has advantages to help him, as the physical side should not bother him at all (I would like to see him chasing the same ball with Ferdinand or Terry, I bet both would be on their arse! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P)

So give him a chance fellas. I'm pretty sure we've just robbed Bayer!

Cheers for the analysis, I haven't seen too much of him myself but I did get the impression he could handle the physical side of the Prem. Some people need to realise he's our fourth choice striker (possibly fifth with Babel arriving). Hardly anyone has a world class player as their fourth choice do they?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,580 posts | 6916 
      Reply #42: Jul 15, 2007 07:28:30 pm
      I agree too early to tell , i don't think he is going to be a prolific goal scorer, but used as a squad player mostly on the bench and cup games
      after watching him yesterday he's not a bad player and will probably do what Rafa asks and score 15 + goals per season ;D

???

Not going to play much. Not going to be prolific. But will probably score 15+ goals a season.

Oh for us to have a striker who we could guarantee would score 15 goals in a season! He would be a legend!
      Zyro
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #43: Jul 16, 2007 02:56:59 am
      I have seen lots of games from Voronin, cause im from germany^^
      And i can say that he is a very good player with good reactions. He mostly appears out of nowhere and kicks the ball right into the net. I think he will make his way here in liverpool :)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #44: Jul 17, 2007 02:05:06 pm
      There are a lot of us that think we could have signed a better player, maybe not for free, but when spending around 40m, surely they could have accommodated for a Owen, Defoe, or someone else that may pounce on the opportunity to play for us and make an opening for a bargain, say under 7m.  Even though the wages would be much higher and would significantly inflate the actual cost of the transaction.  The right person would have been easily sold on if unsuccessful a season or so later. But would players like owen and defoe compete in fourth place for long periods of time.  Definitely not the case for Owen, and even the likes of defoe would need to be given a lot of chances to keep him happy and giving 100% in training.

Sometimes a lot of competition gets the best out players, but in Crouch and Kuyt’s case they give 110%.  And that first team football is the key to their success.  Also I think off the bench Crouch is alright, but a front man that could come off the bench is always a very good bonus, something that is very rare.  Another thing is that he is very versatile and give us more options from the bench.

In the likely event of Torres, Crouch and Kuyt all doing extremely well, you need a player ready as back up and think this type of player is just perfect.  He can be used sparingly.  I’m not saying that he could not become a success himself, but with Kuyt and Crouch they’re both improving very well you need a back up plan.  Because end of next season if there is a need for changes in the striking department it will be most probably Kuyt or Crouch leaving.

He can play a cameo role to bed-in youngsters as there are many recruits of late. Also with his non-existent reputation at the highest level it’s obviously a massive step up for him and is aware that their will be fierce competition for a starting place.  He is the type of player that can be used more sparingly and easier to keep happy, would appreciate playing at this level with limited appearances.  Instead of feeling that he was good enough to play week-in, week-out.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #45: Jul 17, 2007 02:16:32 pm
      There are a lot of us that think we could have signed a better player, maybe not for free, but when spending around 40m, surely they could have accommodated for a Owen, Defoe, or someone else that may pounce on the opportunity to play for us and make an opening for a bargain, say under 7m.  Even though the wages would be much higher and would significantly inflate the actual cost of the transaction.  The right person would have been easily sold on if unsuccessful a season or so later. But would players like owen and defoe compete in fourth place for long periods of time.  Definitely not the case for Owen, and even the likes of defoe would need to be given a lot of chances to keep him happy and giving 100% in training.

Sometimes a lot of competition gets the best out players, but in Crouch and Kuyt’s case they give 110%.  And that first team football is the key to their success.  Also I think off the bench Crouch is alright, but a front man that could come off the bench is always a very good bonus, something that is very rare.  Another thing is that he is very versatile and give us more options from the bench.

In the likely event of Torres, Crouch and Kuyt all doing extremely well, you need a player ready as back up and think this type of player is just perfect.  He can be used sparingly.  I’m not saying that he could not become a success himself, but with Kuyt and Crouch they’re both improving very well you need a back up plan.  Because end of next season if there is a need for changes in the striking department it will be most probably Kuyt or Crouch leaving.

He can play a cameo role to bed-in youngsters as there are many recruits of late. Also with his non-existent reputation at the highest level it’s obviously a massive step up for him and is aware that their will be fierce competition for a starting place.  He is the type of player that can be used more sparingly and easier to keep happy, would appreciate playing at this level with limited appearances.  Instead of feeling that he was good enough to play week-in, week-out.

I would agree with most of that, I have said before that he's been brought in as fourth choice and we couldn't get much better for the job. I'd disagree though that his reputation is non existent. Bayer Leverkusen aren't as small as some people make out, I'd probably rank them on a par with Tottenham in our own league. He has Champions League & UEFA Cup experience, as well as coming from a league that after our own is probably the next most physical in Europe. I personally believe from the little I have seen of him & what I have heard from others that he will be good enough to do the job he's here for, as a backup player.

Quick Reply