Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Andriy Voronin (Liverpool -> Dinamo Moscow)

Read 126616 times
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,123 posts | 451 
      Re: Andriy Voronin - good enough?
      Reply #46: Jul 17, 2007 02:39:30 pm
      Actually, come to think about it he’s played in the Bundes league and Bayern are a respected team in that league. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #47: Jul 17, 2007 10:47:02 pm
      I hope this thread stays with us all season....  ;)

I'm going for Voronin on the back of the new LFC shirt at this rate. 
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #48: Jul 17, 2007 10:58:46 pm
      Voronin is a very good player, he's probably even stronger than Torres. The only thing: He's not so famous right now, because he played for a mediocre Bundesliga-team so far that didn't let him shine...wait and see...I definitely understand why Rafa went on him...he'll be a hell of a player on the pitch or if he should come off the bench.

Just compare like when Ronaldo still played for PSV Eindhoven...he was not that famous...because of the mediocre team, but since arrived in Barca he went on top...Voronin will be no Zidane, Ronaldo kind of superstar, but so won't Torres. Both will be very above average players...Manure and Chelpuke we ARE CUMING!!!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #49: Jul 18, 2007 12:42:18 am
      Surely we can't have got a world class player on a free transfer - not us.  We spend hand over fist on strikers and they all turn out crap.

Mind you - aren't the best things in life free? Or is that some kind of bullshit propaganda to try and keep the poor happy?

I like the look of this guy. Ugly. Shirt hanging out. Height inferiority complex. Dare I say ... Dirk who? 

<--hides-->
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #50: Jul 18, 2007 01:30:56 am
      Love the way people still think the guy will be 4th choice striker.

Remember what to expect with Rafa.......  The unexpected
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #51: Jul 18, 2007 05:47:20 am
      Having just watched the highlights of the match there, I must say Voronin is looking like the deal of the century, nevermind Evertons new ''deal of the century'', Tesco stadium!! ;)

He seems to have just come in the backdoor at Anfield, and nobody gave him a hope of being a regular this season, but based on his first two performances he may just prove a great bargain.  ;D
      ONTHEWING
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #52: Jul 18, 2007 11:23:45 am
      Have to agree, looks like Rafa has made a very shrewd signing  ;D  I can't wait for the season to start!!!
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #53: Jul 18, 2007 02:18:55 pm
      I think he'll be the suprise player for us this season - even though I haven't seen him play yet, he got a good report of the last game the other night, and scored too. I'd say give him a chance fellas...and lasses
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,245 posts | 8576 
      Reply #54: Jul 18, 2007 03:39:46 pm
      Watched last nights match and being honest I was very impressed with voronin, okay wait and see when the real thing kicks off but I liked the look of him.
      Njadula
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #55: Jul 18, 2007 04:08:19 pm
      The way Voronin is playing in the preseason, one would think he reads the comments on this chat room and wants to prove a few of us wrong.

Rafa actually made Vorinin the skipper yesterday, shows what he thinks of his mentality. Voronin was brought in to be the Bolo Zenden of this season. He is definitely experienced and has played many high profile games in Germany and even the Champions League. He will not be overawed by any occasion and will want to repay the faith Rafa has shown in him. Remember how most of us never really like Bolo but he came out right in the end and covered our wings when Gonzalez disappointed and Kewell got injured again.

I guess Voronin is our insurance policy in case there are 2 injuries upfront or Torres and co just don't click. Let's just the bloke a chance, after all he came free, what do we have to lose????
      REDARMY
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #56: Jul 18, 2007 04:09:18 pm
      We saw him yesterday i was surprised with his display good luck to the lad got 2 goals Living in Germany i have seen him play for Bunders Liga was surprised we bought him  He was not bad but for us ,then look at all the Bunders Liga players who join Premier League likes of Berbertof  Spurs , Helb,Rusitki Leman Arsenl have done thir job dont for get Babel and Harmann
      I think he will show what he can do on pitch.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,123 posts | 451 
      Reply #57: Jul 18, 2007 05:59:25 pm
      One thing for sure he has brute strength and that is a valuable asset when it can be used on two feet in the penalty area in the EPL.  After all it was that strength that did wonders for players like Viduka, Drogba and Shearer.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #58: Jul 18, 2007 06:55:19 pm
      Can't wait to see him knocking John Terry to his arse in a 50-50 ball!
      From the highlights i saw of him yesterday he was superb and his 1st goal showed good reactions to get and on his second it was just one touch, looks like Rafa's done another great bit of buisness!
      Euro5
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      • Come On You RED MEN
      Reply #59: Jul 18, 2007 07:51:08 pm
      Give the lad a chance, from all the media interviews about the new signings including voronin appear to be very proud to be wearing the red jersey and even taken pay cuts to play for lfc. i think we should wait until the season starts to pay judgment.
      Cy
      Reply #60: Jul 18, 2007 08:00:37 pm
      To get a man like Voronin on a free is a ideal for the club and the man himself, no pressure for Voronin, Torres will have to cope with most of it. What I have seen of Voronin so far tells me that with Kuyt and Voronin we will have two of the most hard workers in the Premiership this season. He scored goals and gave some too, a great move.
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #61: Jul 18, 2007 10:29:29 pm
      Report from Eurosport on Voronin which makes good reading below;

Euroscout: Andriy Voronin
      Eurosport - Wed, 18 Jul 12:42:00 2007
      Eurosport.yahoo.com took a look at the lesser-known of Liverpool's two new strikers in the 3-2 friendly victory over Werder Bremen, Ukrainian Andriy Voronin.

While the transfer of Fernando Torres in a club record £22 million deal from Atletico Madrid received pages of coverage in the UK press, Andriy Voronin arrived to relatively little fanfare.

A free transfer signing from Bayer Leverkusen, the 27-year-old will have none of the huge weight of expectations shouldered by his Spanish team-mate, though may just surprise a few people who assumed he was bought as one to warm the bench in the big games and strut his stuff in the League Cup.

Having seen the player perform quite regularly over the past few years, Euroscout was a little surprised that Liverpool opted to sign Voronin from Bayer Leverkusen during the summer.

After an impressive first season at Leverkusen, in which he formed a potent partnership with Dimitar Berbatov, the goals began to dry up, and a series of anonymous performances in Spring last season saw him relegated to the bench.

Being neither physically big nor pacy, and without the turn of speed of many other modern-day strikers, Euroscout feared he would struggle to make an impact in the Premiership.

Against Bremen, however, Voronin showed just why Rafael Benitez has brought him to Anfield: He is a thinking man's footballer, and his reading of the game is exemplary.

This quality was immediately evident as he had the mental alertness to seize upon a slightly under hit pass across the defence from Peter Niemayer in just the fourth minute, and round 'keeper Tim Wiese with aplomb before tucking the ball calmly into an open net. An impressive start.

Indeed Voronin proved one of Liverpool's best performers during the first half against Bremen, and almost created a goal after picking out the run of Jack Hobbs with a well-timed defence-splitting ball, only for the youngster to check his run and allow the defence to clear.

Time and again Voronin came towards the ball as Liverpool mounted attacks, linking up the play effectively, and always looking for a ball that would release a team-mate in behind the opposition back four.

He rather fluffed his lines on his next one-on-one opportunity on 43 minutes, and was shepherded clear of goal by Frank Baumann before giving the ball away to a Bremen midfielder.

Nevetheless, his showing in the first half was deemed good enough by Benitez to let him start the second half, while Peter Crouch was replaced by Dirk Kuyt.

Almost immediately from the restart Voronin was troubling the Bremen defence, and latched onto a long ball before holding off the challenge of Ivica Vranjes, only to hoist his shot over the bar.

He repaid his manager's faith on the hour mark though, springing the offside trap and keeping his composure to rifle a right-foot half-volley past Wiese to make it 3-1, before being replaced by Torres.

Job done for the Ukrainian. If he can replicate this level of performance in the admittedly far more demanding atmosphere of Premiership and Champions League football, then his future at Anfield looks bright. He will, though, need to iron out the inconsistent form that crept into his game toward the end of his time with Leverkusen.

Eurosport

bred54
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #62: Jul 18, 2007 11:24:33 pm
      ???

Not going to play much. Not going to be prolific. But will probably score 15+ goals a season.

Oh for us to have a striker who we could guarantee would score 15 goals in a season! He would be a legend!
      jd  13+ to go, then he's a leg end ;)
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #63: Jul 19, 2007 01:09:06 pm

The point JD's making is that if he's not gonna play much then 15+ goals is very prolific.

No-one counts pre-season goals in their tally though, so it would still be 15 to go.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #64: Jul 19, 2007 01:11:51 pm

You didn't read my original post properly now did you?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #65: Jul 19, 2007 01:12:27 pm
      He suprised me when I watched the Bremen game! Of course pre-season is never much to go by as we have seen with Le Tallec, Bellamy etc!

Hopefully, if he is going to be a squad player as he is already penned, then the quality is going to match the depth of our squad! ;)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #66: Jul 19, 2007 10:06:11 pm
      Having watched the Bremen game the other day I agree that we need to see more of Voronin to see a true account of what he can do as for all the other new players.  But in the mean time I would like to quote Rafa

"In Valencia we had three or four players who all scored between 10 and 15 goals and that's the idea here. If you have one player who can score 20 goals then that is good, but what if he has an injury? Also if the other teams know he is the only player who can score goals, it will be easier for them to control your team in attack"

Now we have more competition for attacking positions with the likes of Crouch, Kuyt, Torres, Voronin and not forgetting Ryan Babbel who can play a few positions, we should see some more quality this time round.  We have also yet to see what the academy players can bring to the team.  It's gonna be a good 1!

YNWA 
      Tellatran
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      • ;D
      Reply #67: Jul 20, 2007 04:19:24 pm
      If any 1 wants to see highlights of the Liverpool Vs Werder Bremen game here you goal.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/liverpool/video/x2kaof_liverpool-32-werder-bremen-all-the

Voronin has the chance of being the greatest bargain or the guy that only scored to in a pre season game it's up to him.

At first i though he would not be good enough for POOL, i was like wtf!! is Benitez doing, but so far he has impressed i guess when can complete deductions when this season is over.

Hopefully he proves me wrong and scored a scissor kick goals every match a minimum of 4 a match pls.... ;D.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #68: Jul 21, 2007 01:53:34 pm
      Wow. English clubs got to start looking at the German Bundesliga seriously now.
      From preseason form, that’s 2/2 very solid hits- Berbatov and now Voronin.

Quick Reply